Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Come watch the premiere with goons in the CineD Discord! I'll be hosting a Scener room if you have Netflix to sync with the Discord stream as well.

[edit] If you can't make the premiere stream, I'll be streaming Rebel Moon in the CineD Discord again the day after, Friday 12/22 at 9PM central.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Martman posted:

I wonder if this is gonna be more like Sucker Punch or BvS

Yes

:getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

All the Snyder haters seethe posting the RT score as like a means of confirmation bias or whatever, that sad poo poo gives me energy actually :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

This was for the Oscars where they didn't give Bosman a posthumous award but did profit off his likeness with that NFT, right?

From what I remember, that 3D model of Boseman was also a stock pre-rendered CG asset purchased for super cheap and not created specifically for the Oscars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Carpet posted:

edit: oh yeah, and there was a guy sat behind me who clapped and cheered at the bits where a bad guy gets defeated etc and tried to get people to clap and cheer at the end of the film and at the end of the credits but yeah it wasn't happening mate

Maybe they were just having a good time?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Netflix should have released both at the same time. They put out entire seasons all at once so why not.

They tryna manufacture Snyder Cut hype.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Fascinating. Are there any good articles about this? I’d love to read more about what all happened.

https://www.wired.com/story/rebel-moon-director-zack-snyder-on-violence-loss-and-extreme-fandom/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Crossposting

teagone posted:

Friendly reminder! I'll be streaming Rebel Moon Thursday and Friday night this week at 9PM central both days in the CineD Discord :sickos:

If you have Netflix, I'll be hosting a Scener room as well so you can sync to the Discord stream :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon premiere later tonight! If you're planning on joining the CineD Discord stream, please remember to mute your mic when you join in on my screen share. Live chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel. I'll share the Scener room link a few minutes before I go live for anyone with their own Netflix account to snync with the Discord stream.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 21, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna do asmr through it

Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon was perfectly fine. All the garbage online about how this is Star Wars with the numbers filed off is grossly exaggerated and inaccurate imo. This is very much a different sci-fi beast, and it's great. Lots of fun ideas, and neat visuals. Though while I could feel the edits around the violence and truncating the story, I felt the core of the movie didn't suffer too much from it. Djimon's character did though, drat lol -- chopped to bits in the editing bay. I'm very eager to watch the hyperviolent extended cut, and for part 2 in a few months.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

The biggest complaint was a lack of Jimmy

100%

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

Up to you. I think the butchered cut is fine and worth a once over. If you watch it, you can also say you are a Snyder completionist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

If their plan was always to have a PG-13 2hour cut and an R-rated director cut, why not just release them both and let people watch the version they prefer?

My guess is Netflix wanted a ~2 hour PG-13 family friendly cut for people on holiday to watch and this is what Snyder and his team were able to deliver. They also probably didn't want to cannibalize streaming numbers when there's potential for double dipping. It's dumb, but they did it and now all we can do is just wait.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Do you think you’ll do a screening of the director’s cut when it releases, Teagone?

100% for sure. When both parts are out -- both extended hyperviolent R-rated cuts -- I will be absolutely be doing a double feature stream. [edit] I will also likely stream Rebel Moon Part 1 the day before Part 2 drops in April as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Awesome. Thanks!

Lots of Rebel Moon streaming in the future, lol, so no worries. The extended cut for Part 1 coming this summer is already on the streaming docket :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

The plan was to always have a 2 hour cut, but I think read or watched something where it mentioned that Snyder cut a deal where he'd deliver a 2 hour family friendly cut (just in time for the holidays) but only if he gets to do his 3 hour hyperviolent cut. What critics have to think about and what the online response is to that sort of deal is something he probably doesn't give a poo poo about since he gets to make his 3 hour cut anyways lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You use this word everytime you mention the longer cut, I hope theres more to it than just that from the reviews.

The hyperviolent cut is also 3 hours instead of 2 hours, so clearly there's going to be more than just the added bloody bits.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

Don't be like twitter, CP. You're better than that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I hope the birb makes a sweet rear end comeback in part 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You know when someone criticizes Snyder and then a Snyder fan claps back, and then whoever made the criticism ends up going "wow, look at how rude these Snyder fans are...", that sort of online squabbling prevalent on Twitter. Not everything is a personal attack. You can say they were being rude with their response, but they were also bringing up an argument of double standards and using your affinity to James Gunn as an example.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This? Idk. It didn't feel right. I wish it was used more sparingly,.

I actually felt he dialed back his application of bespoke lenses a bit more in Rebel Moon compared to Army of the Dead, lol.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So when is the directors cut out?

This summer :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Levitica was around and was explicitly interested in opposing fascism.

Levitca's death was so loving brutal even in this PG13fied version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

Alright, so, who the hell is the "Child of Fire"? Seems like it's inferring the princess even though she's barely mentioned and only seen once in a flashback.

Kora. She was a conscripted child soldier molded in the fires of war.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, yeah, the final fight is hard to keep track of. That being said, it did have Ray Fisher taking down a Star Destroyer with a spear and a running leap so I have decided to forgive it its faults.

Kai's death to spark that final fight was very satisfying. gently caress that bitchass turncoat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

Did you see how hot and sexy everyone was on Veldt? Everyone wants that grain grown in fertile rear end land to make them all hot and sexy too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon Part 1 friday night discord stream in about an hour. If you plan on joining, please remember to mute your mic lol. Scener link and livestream chat will be in #snack-snyders-slyders channel. :toot:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He just really likes the insanely warped bokeh that his bespoke lenses create. I don't mind them, and think AotD and Rebel Moon look fine, but I still think he should've stuck to working with Larry Fong as his DP instead lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 23, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

I want to know more about Nemesis's hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gat_(hat)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

My issue with the slow mo is it doesn't feel like it's showing me anything cool. It's just showing someone leap once, or slam into a wall. Or shoot a gun.

Slow mo works when the focal character does something really cool and we can take that in. An example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK-d553Mjk&t=227s
Whenever he strikes, it lets you soak it in.

I thought the sowing seeds in slow motion was awesome.

Papercut posted:

I also watched the creator last night and it was bad but not even on the same level as RM

They're booth good, OP. I prefer Rebel Moon tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have seen it and enjoyed it. I tend to enjoy things and try not to tear down art.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

There were more than one kind of seed she was sowing too.

Veldt is the horny planet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

And the seeds of rebellion.

My mind's always in the gutter, you see. Snyder already had me with the yonic space portal like ~5 minutes in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

H13 posted:

I also remember feeling in the bar shootout that wasn't Mos Eisley: "Wow, stormtroopers have better aim than this"

Kora whiffs a handful of shots at the bartender.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

H13 posted:

So stormtroopers have better aim than our heroes as well.

I think the more interesting point is that Snyder attempts to show that Kora isn't John Wick and/or that the firearms tech in the Rebel Moon universe is unwieldy and wildly inaccurate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This was the sort of discourse I was waiting for tbh. I missed it. It's very funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. Like, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live their and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

Veldt being this sort of horny hippy commune whose nourshing and fertile land makes everyone buff and hot is a very Zack Snyder concept.

quote:

[...] because it's bad that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but you know who also wore a sci-fi tie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

But I also think it's a nice twist in the idyllic village under siege by the villains where that village is kind of a hetero-normative place where a requirement for really joining it is marriage and rearing children.

The concept sorta runs parellel to the imperium encouraging soldiers to find a lover among their ranks to have someone to fight for and defend instead of questioning whether they're the baddies or not lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.

The way it's shot and framed, panning down with the title card, it sorta looked like the start of a stage play to me -- emblematic of like a curtain opening, that sort of energy -- and I loved that.

[edit]

sbaldrick posted:

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love and made the Rebels old school religious traditionalist fighting against the Federation from Star Trek.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 25, 2023