Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

doomisland posted:

you were meant to fill in the spaces between every scene [...] with your own imagination.

what an awful concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

He seems to just kind of shake it off shake it off shake it off

e: possibly while watching Barbie

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

In a vacuum that'd be smart but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole JL debacle made him think that he can weather any amount of bad press so long as he still produces films people like.

And hell, maybe?

It's funny that a bunch of failson idiots hate him but all the people who actually make movies love working with him. And every time those total shitlords fail at striking him down they hate him even more, to the point where mainstream people have picked up on the offputtingness.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was thinking more of the reviews that complained it was "Star Wars without the humor". I think some people were literally expecting Star Wars instead of "it has some Star Wars ideas".

Star Wars has humor?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

McCloud posted:

It also very quickly established that you shouldn't bargain or compromise with fascists and that the only real option is violent resistance

To be fair that was also the thesis from Man of Steel and that didn't stop the bread and roses shitlibs from calling him a fascist

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Depicted: Admiral Noble, Rebel Moon

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 22, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well the other thing is that village probably drew their attention because Gunnar went and sold their surplus harvest to the Bloodaxes.

It's shown that Noble's people are pulling on a lot of threads in that area of space.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially if there are no aliens on the crew, especially considering how consistently lame the handling of aliens has been in disney star wars also.

People have been noting the 40K and dune influences a lot, but those are settings where the aliens are pretty darn fleshed out and important and not really just randomly there. All in all I kinda see the complaint

One quibble: Dune doesn't have aliens, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

This might just be a me thing, but I think a key component of the lucas-ian conception of "aliens are just randomly around" is to show a sort of solidarity. It's vitally important that they are shown to be mundanely part of the rebellion and basically sharing a normal desire with humans to not be oppressed. Neglecting this was one of the few big fuckups of andor to me.

So it does grate if this is yet another thing where aliens are around in the setting but not apparently interested in opposing fascism. It didn't cost too much to show that in 1983, it should be achievable now

Levitica was around and was explicitly interested in opposing fascism.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's like the one movie where Charlie Hunnam is being asked to NOT do an accent!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Name Change posted:

Some thoughts:

- Given how basic this plot is, funneling it through Snyder's grandiose style makes it sometimes feel laborious. Some efficiency in storytelling might have been nice, we don't need to devote so much effort to revealing that the fascist dressed exactly like a Nazi is going to kill and abuse farmers at will.

I don't know, people seem to be really confused that Nazis are apparently vile and vicious and that most often cruelty is the point. We've gotten to a point where for a time Star Wars was doing a "the Empire just wants to maintain proper order" and "really the real villains are the people selling ammunition to the Rebels" thing. They're dialing that back a bit with Andor but it's still a rare and late adjustment.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Or, well, the remaining samurai know fully well how the empire operates and might just be joking about how it's all over and they don't need to fight, there's that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean yeah that's the thing, like an extra line or two saying like "even with Noble gone, the Motherland might still come back..." with a knowing look thrown in. Sure they could be just going to chill through the harvest and get those g(r)ains but it seems kinda superfluous

who does that inform though, the audience already gets the goo bag zoom meeting sequence

of the characters, Kora has fought for the empire her entire life
Titus probably wrote most of the current imperial doctrine
Nemesis has been assassinating oppressor dignitaries
Tarak had his entire planet ground to dust by the empire
farmer guy just had a lesson in how the empire operates

like none of them are saying, seriously, oh well looks like we're done here, a round of Long Island ice tea for all

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 27, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

checkplease posted:

Yeah I assumed there were multiple dreadnaughts so the path of total revolution seems not possible for these films at least. I assume second movie will just be about beating one somehow. Then franchise!

I basically assume they beat one and then another dreadnaught shows up and blows up the rebel moon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

Oh hell yes, plenty of Netflix Originals I'd love proper 4K Blu-ray releases for. At some point you'd think they're just leaving money on the table.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also you gotta figure the typical logistics wild-rear end-guesses don't work when your interstellar travel is based on capturing deities from other dimensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like if you've attacked and dethroned a countless amount of gods that you wouldn't really give a poo poo about some wheat though

Sure, so what's the other reason why they might come down on this particular village in the middle of nowhere?