Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The enemies are wearing santa hats :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also! I've been playing on mouse + keyboard until now and figured that playing on controller would be a nightmare since you require so much precision with many attacks, but turns out the controller controls are really smooth. There's an auto lock mechanic where you just have to point in an enemy's general direction and then you will automatically shoot at that guy until it's dead.

I didn't explore the options further to see if there's a manual way of changing your target other than pointing the stick around, but it works really well which immediately means this is going to be a real fun Steam Deck game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So what's the deal with the souls you collect? I've had about six runs of the updated game, completed it on one character, and I've never seen a single place to spend them in.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I just had the nuttiest run I've ever had.

Got a perk that multiplied my companions' stat bonuses depending on how many I had. Then I got a Piggy Bank, which gave me +200% damage if I had 50 gold. And then a perk that translated each point of dex directly to Lucky Hit chance.

Literally everything died in seconds, Death included.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, the game is very swingy. Yes, you are supposed to use the dice to compensate the RNG, but even with them, the difference between a bad run and a good run (never mind a crazy good run that happens from time to time) is like day and night. I wonder if for example rooms should have 3 doors instead of 2 to make thing less swingy.

That, plus the room RNG needs a bit tweaking. There's literally no loving point in giving me a "recharge a flask" as one of my first two doors. I just landed in the dungeon, there's no way for me to have lost any health yet!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

deep dish peat moss posted:

Something I just realized: If you have a companion with Companion Weight lower than your maximum companions you can use the item multiple times to summon multiple of the same companion :doh:

This makes every source of +companions insanely good, lmao

OH poo poo :tviv:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I somehow managed to cobble together a Bard build where my pan flute was critting things for 22k, and just completely steamrolled over EVERYTHING. During the run I rolled my world tier over to the next one, and opened the post-Death game, which also fell to my mighty fluting in moments. I think finding a companion that gave me +20% music damage and a helmet that gave me +30 int were the keys there, as well as a perk that gave me +100% mana bonuses.

The class is fun, and I really love the faint janky music sounds your instruments make.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you people really like to play like that?
With the CRT line effect, I mean.

gently caress YES I DO

:sickos:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is probably an obvious thing, but does the game get harder when you go up world tiers? After unlocking the world tier where you have to focus on alignment, the latter half of the game feels a lot harder than the game was on the previous world tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah the shops help, but the Egypt floor has still turned into a loving nightmare. There's rooms where you get a couple of those guys who do that gravity distortion that makes dodging very hard, combined with a bunch of those archers who bullet hell you to poo poo.

I guess I just need to get better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I was able to get to the post-game today on a Warrior run, but then had apparently picked up a -1 to my Lawful, dropping me from +4 to +3 so I couldn't get through that door. Womp womp.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On my first floor I got a shop, bought a divine axe that "grows with strength".

It sure did.

I also managed to get a very coherent build that basically turned me into an insane gatling gun of axes that gave me +30% top end damage every five hits. Which meant I was critting bosses for tens of thousands.

Game owns.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit.

I got to Hell. Beat the boss of Hell, thought I had made it. Realized there was another alignment gate before the ACTUAL final boss of Hell, failed the test, had to chug ichor once again.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your Computer posted:

is the metal guitar broken? the chain lightning from it appears to go backwards instead of towards enemies

WarpedLichen posted:

I've noticed this too, it seems like it does hit when I get close but the screens were so hectic I wasn't sure if it was consistent.

Yeah, if you're close to enemies it will target them, but it feels a bit weird.

Likewise -- playing on a controller -- the aiming reticle weapons feel a bit weird. Holding RT seems to lock it to enemies instead of the targeting reticle, but I'm not sure if it locks on to enemies I'm pointing the reticle at, or how it works exactly. In any case it's pretty clunky especially in situations where you have to move a lot and enemies quickly change positions, and makes me avoid those weapons.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah heavily agreed on ... well, all three points. The visual clutter is overwhelming, and the difference between struggling through the later stages with an otherwise good short range sword, and getting a huge laser gun that could hit enemies from outside the screen was huge.

And the RNG definitely feels a bit too R at times.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your Computer posted:

where are you getting this option? :eyepop:

The Soul Scarf. It gives you a Soul Heart every time you chug a potion, and you can pay 10 souls to refill your potions at a bonfire.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The damage ranges for some weapons are just wacky. I had a run where I got a body armour that doubled my mana stars. After equipping that the top end damage of my staff was 41600. The bottom end damage was 320.

Yeah, when I rolled high, poo poo just vanished. But then there were long rear end periods of time where that didn't happen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Snooze Cruise posted:

money bag companion is funny since you only need to keep like 50 gold for the full benefit and that is barely nothing. if i see it i always pick it up and hunt for the trait that gives you stat increases based on how many companions you have.

Yeah, one of my best runs was getting the Money Bag on my first floor, and then the "companions give you +300% benefits if you only have one" talent.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Those rooms with Beholders in them are still unbelievably hosed. Yes, they changed it so that their attacks are SLIGHTLY staggered, but if there's two of them you're still gonna be in a situation where there's two spinning wheels of death going around on top of every enemy spamming poo poo at you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This carried HARD.

I also had a bunch of other stuff that procced on Lucky Hits (and a 37,5% Lucky Hit chance), and once I got going I attacked about 12 times a second. Primal Death lasted maybe 3 seconds. Sure, I was only doing about 4000 per crit (which was also happening all the time because I had a talent that gave me an automatic crit after 5 attacks), but when they're coming that fast, who cares?

Really wish I could've continued playing past level 12 with this run.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:drat:

What did you do, raid Scrooge McDuck's soul storage?!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Demon Hunter is extremely good and fun.

The class power is meeting Tainted rooms with more enemies but also double the rewards. If you get a half-decent weapon, you can really snowball hard, because instead of getting one +3 stat bonus, get two! Instead of getting half a dozen dice, get a dozen! One weapon chest? gently caress that, gimme two!

Combine this with the Piggy Bank minion and the "if you only have one minion, you get 300% the bonus" talent and I was one shotting everything by the third floor and erasing bosses in a couple of seconds.

E: I think it's high time for me to start looking into Cinders now that I have an actual win streak going.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 8, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Azran posted:

Are flails garbage or have I just not come across the right combo for them? On another note, it drives me insane whenever I see a weapon that does 8k damage at the high end and 22 at the low end. :argh:

I think they are mostly garbage, but yesterday I got a flail that somehow rotated at about 800% speed, which meant that I was a whirling fiery blender that was also shooting lasers everywhere. that was hilarious.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, I don't see how unarmed is just viable. I had a Cyborg run where I got the +100% unarmed range talent on my first level up and even then the range was unusably short on many bosses. I had to switch to a str scaling gun instead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ran into the "corruption caps out at 51" thing today when I was trying to kill Death with a not great weapon. I figured 51 was a number that had some deep significant meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

Secret Rooms Don't Contain Locked Items is just nice.
Always A Secret Room is also great.

As an aside it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the locked basement doors were not the secret rooms.