Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I've been on the internet forever and Prodigy and Compuserve before that, but I somehow missed a saga I wished I followed along as it unfolded. I can't think of her name, but there's a fairly well known crazy internet woman who posted crazy stories iirc of rape, homelessness, being really smart and rape (similar to the bandit auditions in Blazing Saddles).I think she posted it all on some old personal page or blog and people really bought into it at the time. However, I'm fairly certain the last time I read about her, people had dug into it and while she's crazy, most if not all of the stories were completely fabricated. I first learned about her ~10 years ago but I think it all her stories took place in the late 90s. I'd look it up but can't remember her name and the last reference I remember was in some old PYF thread.

Faye Kane (as in "faking" i believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Was that the chick that made her own goon cave in a hole in a ground and had computers and a hot plate in it?

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

kntfkr posted:

Was that the chick that made her own goon cave in a hole in a ground and had computers and a hot plate in it?

Yup, and also got taken in as some kind of concubine by some college professors or something. I also recall her being really, really racist and Libertarian.

She's got a somewhat up-to-date LinkedIn page, in case you want to hire her: https://www.linkedin.com/in/faye-kane-74889929

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Yup, and also got taken in as some kind of concubine by some college professors or something. I also recall her being really, really racist and Libertarian.

She's got a somewhat up-to-date LinkedIn page, in case you want to hire her: https://www.linkedin.com/in/faye-kane-74889929

As what, a clown?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Nardwar? He's just like a weirdo that knows too much about bands or artists I've never heard of?

I also never watched DBZ so there are memes with pink and green and big haired men I don't really get

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

I would rather just write the code instead, that seems a lot easier
:same:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am a famous internet thing

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Neopets. Like, what the hell is it?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I never played FarmVille or any of that bullshit.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I never got Zwinkie

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Metaline posted:

Neopets. Like, what the hell is it?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bonzo posted:

PC Gaming.

I really want to play Elite Dangerous in VR

I'm afraid that is another thing you missed. I think you can still technically play some of it in VR but space legs have no VR support and Fdev said they will no longer be developing any VR stuff.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

played a grand total of about 30 minutes of minecraft and noped out of that garbage forever

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

slinkimalinki posted:

Faye Kane (as in "faking" i believe).

Awesome, thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sekenr posted:

I'm afraid that is another thing you missed. I think you can still technically play some of it in VR but space legs have no VR support and Fdev said they will no longer be developing any VR stuff.

Good to know. By Space Legs do you mean the planet missions? I don't like those anyway and there are tons of games that offer that type of play. I just love flying around in the ship doing stupid poo poo in space or having dog fights.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

QuarkJets posted:

I would rather just write the code instead, that seems a lot easier

Well sure, if you're a luddite

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I feel like I'm missing out on the newer things cuz it requires a degree of being online to a point that i can't manage anymore, and a lot of stuff naturally compartmentalizes by age. Then, for lack of a better term, it kinda crystallizes with age and then you see an older meme or some poo poo on an Instagram reel and it's like carbon dating the internet. But my algorithm is gonna keep me in my own poo poo and I don't have the desire to seek anything new out.

Between that and leaving the teaching field a year ago I feel like my current internet meme knowledge fades out somewhere in between "they did surgery on a grape" and DaBaby

however, I still laugh at a lot of skibidi toilet

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I had an account during groverhaus but somehow missed it. That seems like a genuine loss IMO

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Yahoo used to have a LOT of features in the early 2000s? Like you could click on a games link log in and just play random games like Chess and Poker and trivia with strangers on the site directly?

They did, Yahoo pool was a common passtime in our computer classes in high school.

Also Yahoo used to have a kid friendly version of the site: Yahooligans.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had a Match.com profile back in like 2003 that I never did anything with. It wasn't super popular yet then. At the time the idea of a dating website was still novel and people were skeptical of the idea of letting a computer tell you who you should date.

Now I've completely lost track. I heard of Bumble recently. I think the idea of that one is men aren't allowed to message women unless the woman messages you first? And Tinder is kind of the mainstream one, but didn't that start out as mostly a hook up site? Or was the grinder?

And Hinge is still exclusively for affairs, right?

Some are self explanatory, like christian mingle, farmers only, grandpas only, etc.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I met my wife on Yahoo chat (not through the sex stuff I mentioned earlier) but we never told anyone that. It was early 00s and it was easier to just make up a story about how we met at a mutual friend's party and traded info. I suppose we could tell everyone the real story since Internet dating is common, but at this point it's been too long.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Never too late to tell the truth

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Whatever you do, do NOT miss out on "Skibidi Toilet"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QpuJ4SxXI

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Born too early to invent skibidi toilet
Born too late to obsess over skibidi toilet
Born just in time to watch skibidi toilet

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I didn't watch Game of Thrones despite it being the main thing the internet talked about for years.

Never made more than 3 posts on any post-forums social media, unless you count discord.

I met my wife on OKcupid before dating websites/apps all went to total poo poo so that was pretty cool.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Whatever you do, do NOT miss out on "Skibidi Toilet"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QpuJ4SxXI

Is this Half-life 3?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Is this Half-life 3?

Sorta? I mean (and I hate that I know this) the leader of the human-headed toilets is called "G-Man."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Homestuck. Had no interest. Frankly webcomics in general beyond a couple I read in the early 00s.

Minecraft because I learned Notch was a shithead and refused to give him money, but to be fair I was far more into Ace Attorney and Pokemon at the time, too. Notch doesn’t own it now and I feel like it would be fun to build and explore but I don’t have the money for a PC to mod and whatnot.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of famous internet poo poo.

What is some famous internet poo poo the was spawned by SA?

Slenderman

Was Badger Badger Badger an SA thing?

I know there was a bunch of poo poo, but can't think of most of it because I'm dumb. And wasn't really here for the forums' hey day. I first joined in 2007 or so, and I think this place had already peaked.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There's a few famous youtube goons. Hbomberguy, Hot Dad, Internet Comment Etiquette and some others that aren't coming to mind. Some musicians too, Crudbump and also Hot Dad come to mind. I'm reasonably certain about a couple other higher profile people but I'm not going to out them, plus I'm probably wrong.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Tarkus posted:

There's a few famous youtube goons. Hbomberguy, Hot Dad, Internet Comment Etiquette and some others that aren't coming to mind. Some musicians too, Crudbump and also Hot Dad come to mind. I'm reasonably certain about a couple other higher profile people but I'm not going to out them, plus I'm probably wrong.

I didn't know hot dad was a goon.
Vinny also says a lot of stuff that makes me think he's lurking on SA.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Shaun is a goon, Earwicker I believe

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah mike lindell the my pillow guy started that on SA, so did blippy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ever since i played hypnospace outlaw a couple years back, i listen to hot dad's 7 minute power ballad about shaving at least a couple times a month

i think it's time again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

ever since i played hypnospace outlaw a couple years back, i listen to hot dad's 7 minute power ballad about shaving at least a couple times a month

i think it's time again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

:hai:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

An unconscionable amount of minor (and some major) internet celebrities are goons

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The founder of 4chan was a regular in ADTRW and started his site after Lowtax purged a bunch of people from that subforum. Someone please post the domino meme of "Lowtax bans hentai --> end of democracy"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

An unconscionable amount of minor (and some major) internet celebrities are goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
https://www.pridosaurs.com/

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
loving seapunk. Then vaporwave arrived so I didn't miss much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

wesleywillis posted:

Was Badger Badger Badger an SA thing?

i think that was b3ta