Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

Alternate perspective: The military is used by the state as a form of extraction of value from the global south. In order to convince otherwise sane and non-homicidal human beings to take part in that murderous, ecocidal process of resource extraction, military service offers multiple social and financial benefits within the imperial core.

Doctor Who is frankly too soft on the military and far too soft on cops, who regardless of their demographic replicate the military model of resource extraction at home. Becoming a police officer is an extremely effective method of upward economic and social mobility as long as you are willing to brutalize people.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Very late but I've just rewatched The Church on Ruby Road and god what a mess of a story. Doctor Who always runs on nonsense logic but they usually try to at least walk you through the nonsense with some funny words and a whizzing gadget and some sort of sequence of cause and effect, and people at least sort of sounds like they're making reasonable decisions, but so much happens here with no warning and no follow up and is just totally accepted. Even small stuff (why is there a ventilation shaft in a poorly constructed tall ship in the sky??) just feels like Davies just threw it together without much thought.

It seems like they treated the superstition thing as carte blanche to just give up on making sense, I really hope it's not representative of the rest of the series.

Not to say it was all bad - I thought the moment to moment dialogue writing was good, Gatwa is obviously charming, Ruby seems like she's fun enough even if she was kind of wasted for most of it, and I'm assuming Mrs Flood is going to turn out to be someone interesting.

I agree, yeah.

Hoping for some more coherent stories in the rest of the season. Vibes is fine and all, and it was obviously knockabout Christmas fun, but Who is at its best when it has internal coherence within the story (the meta-myth, "canon" stuff is generally less important)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Warthur posted:

Heaven Sent is incredible but I think it lands as well as it does because of the legwork the entire Capaldi era does to that point to prepare you for it. The fourth wall narration, his interactions with Clara (and even her catchphrases), all the confession dial stuff so far, the Hybrid hints, they all do a lovely job of setting up the storytelling toolkit the episode uses and it wouldn't land the same without them.

Hell yeah! I'm all in on 12th Doctor revisionism. It was a good time, even though it felt like a bad time, at the time. Because it felt like a bad time, even

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Phy posted:

I love that violent little potato man

:emptyquote:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Back to Strax, him beaming Clara with the newspaper was out of left field and hilarious.

I remember shout-laughing when I first saw that, just a perfectly executed bit of slapstick out of nowhere

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lines posted:

We still think we're a global power, it's unfortunate (also we have nukes and a seat on the Security Council which doesn't help with the general delusion).

I seem to recall the alternative comedy scene in the 80s pushed back a lot of the fairly racist comedy scene of previous decades, your Bernard Mannings and the like. People (I assume) still go to Roy "Chubby" Brown shows but mercifully I don't really think it's many of them nowadays. And it's not on TV.

This all being said, I feel like in the 00s there was a bit of a resurgence in comedy in particular? See: Little Britain, or the inexplicable popularity of Jimmy Carr.

It wasn't just the UK, although we were as bad for it as anyone else. There seemed to be a general feeling in the 00s that sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. were a thing of the past, so everyone could just say whatever they wanted, no matter how horrible, because they didn't really mean it. Transphobia, of course, was still perfectly fair game anyway, and it's only now we're really starting to grapple with that (with all the usual reactionary pushback).

The 00s was also a time where a lot of humour was just flat out mean spirited a lot of the time (Jimmy Carr, as mentioned, but I'm thinking also of Family Guy and South Park as good examples). And often viciously misogynistic.

We were all so smug back then but in hindsight it was all so retrograde and poisonous. There're a bunch of Vice series recently called Dark Side of..., and they did Dark Side of the 90s and Dark Side of the 00s. The former was about all kinds of things - Grunge, the rise of Hip-Hop, talk TV, beanie babies, the internet. Often about bad stuff (Jerry Springer, Rush Limbaugh), but overall very interesting. The latter was reality TV, men's magazines, TMZ, Howard Stern and Antony and Opie, and it was all so horrible, and a chore to watch. It was like the whole media was trying to make famous women kill themselves and/or to treat regular women like dirt. Like, gleefully, openly, and fully intentionally.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 22, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:love: :love: :love:

Those two themes got me through a lot of poo poo back then

One hell of a bird :unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Who inspires a lot of fan art, and I gotta say, some of it is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e69VGBkwHfw

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I very much enjoyed his take on the Master, given that most of his roles are "ineffectual posh idiot" it was nice to give him some range.

I happen to know him personally - he's a really nice guy, and really relished the role (probably for the reason you just said)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lines posted:

It's very hard to explain Line of Duty though because it makes very little sense. It's sort of like: "what if everyone in the British state who wasn't a Good Cop was a corrupt paedo criminal except, twist, possibly there are no good cops, unless there are". Somehow that doesn't really get to the heart of it. It makes about as much sense as Flux but there's no dog aliens so it coheres a little more.

I've not seen Line of Duty but that makes perfect sense to me (except for the question of there being a Good Cop at all, I mean)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Coward posted:

There is a lot of Chibnall that occasionally feels like, if you'll pardon the expression, "cargo culting" Doctor Who. Like, if my script includes these twists or big concepts or references or character beats, then that will make it an episode of Doctor Who, regardless of whether those make sense or have any narrative impact.

Yeah, this is it exactly. Absolute encyclopedic knowledge of the Content of Doctor Who, zero artistic or emotional understanding of what makes Doctor Who actually appealing and interesting

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I spent years wondering why I would always watch horrendously edited versions of certain movies with ads when they came on TV despite the fact that I had the DVD not two feet from said television, and eventually I realized it's because knowing other people were seeing it at the same time does something rad for the human brain.

Haha I've started doing this with old adult swim blocks on YouTube from 2003 or whatever, cause I'm old and the nostalgia disease is creeping deep into my bones

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jessica Hynes (Human Nature, The End Of Time, BF's Invaders From Mars) is a great actress, but she's loving awesome and completely unrecognisable in this week's Dick Turpin. Really fun seeing her turn up as a hammy sexy troll witch, with ridiculous make-up. Cunk's just turned up too.

It's a fun show, worth checking out if you're looking for something Who-y but in a more silly mode.

I have always loved Jessica Hynes' work (and have always had a massive crush on her too) so I'll definitely give that a go

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I liked the Time Lords saving Eleven, and I also liked Eleven being his last regeneration - it seemed fitting. It also made Twelve's insecurity and identity issues make plenty of sense in hindsight. Ten-2 counting as a whole regeneration was a bit eye roll but I did laugh at the explanation

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I enjoy that the regeneration limit just comes up in casual conversation, not as some looming thing that needs to be resolved but as a fact of life. Everyone gets old and dies.

Yeah exactly. Which is why I liked what happened with Capaldi. You've gotten elderly for the last time, you've really finally prepared yourself for real, actual, final death, you've had 900 years to make your peace with it - and then you get a whole new lifetime out of the blue, unasked for.

That's going to cause some serious adjustment issues

EDIT and although Capaldi's last episode was kinda bodged it did make sense that he wanted to Die die.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No way, Capaldi’s casual outfits loving ruled. There’s something inmensely cool about CapaldiDoc in particular going full casual instead of just wearing the typical stuffy or posh poo poo all the time.

I loved loved loved the hoodie and crombie combo, but I really did hate the holey jumper lol

Also that one shirt he wore in Kill The Moon. Barf

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly post-Lucie (bleedin) Miller, 8 gets done dirty

The first Dark Eyes set is ok but it goes downhill rapidly, and after that it really does get dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Warthur posted:

Throwing in a sexual assault scene for laughs is certainly a thing that happens occasionally during the Smith years but at least early on he's the victim instead of the perpetrator.

When is he a perpetrator? Genuine question, I can't remember