Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Response to my "maybe the Tardis is the Timeless Child" post.
Alright, you've sold me.

I just want a retcon that un-fucks everything that you talked about.

They're not special by birth, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bum bum bwada!

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlkZY-S3LiA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's one hell of a bird.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah! I'm all in on 12th Doctor revisionism. It was a good time, even though it felt like a bad time, at the time. Because it felt like a bad time, even
Did people really not like 12 here? I remember those years being quite well-liked, if nitpicked a bit for funsies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I found the initial character actively repellent in a way his character arc didn't fully address, so I've never gotten fully on board with the guy.
I get that. Negging Clara was a lot to get over and there was never a moment where that changed in-canon. It just kind of... did.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

Like, at best, he's kind of poo poo. But he doesn't suck.

At Doctor Who. Hoooooo boy does he suck elsewhere.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's the story there? I've never heard it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

edit He also looks extremely good in armour. Shame that the show refused to ever use the fact that he is trained with a sword ever again.
A Good Man Goes To War did and it was loving awesome.

To your point, though, we never saw any actual sword fighting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know anything about Corden outside of Who, but I thought Craig and his performance as Craig were pretty likeable.
I liked him so much on Who that I was briefly fooled into thinking he didn't suck as both a performer and a human being.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yup. There are plenty of schlubby everymen who aren't total elitist assholes who treat restaurant workers like poo poo to prove what a big man they are, so gently caress him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

That sounds like a terrible secret.
Of space? Or... time? :smug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think heads of big IPs should actually stop hiring fans for the most part, but weirdly it's worked out pretty great for Who.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Genesis of the Daleks for the first time. Only hearing about it and knowing generally what happens in it. Kind of crazy that it was a 1st season story for the 4th Doctor , but its considered on of the greatest Doctor Who stories.
My first two concerts were in 1998. Beastie Boys and Led Zeppelin (well, Page and Plant doing Zeppelin tunes as well as tracks from Walking Into Clarksdale) and this was a huge loving mistake because in all the years since, only one concert has ever measured up.

I'm really loving mad at myself for watching Genesis of the Daleks first as an intro to classic Who. I'd already learned that loving lesson, dammit. What was I thinking?

I still haven't made it all the way through another serial. They all pale in comparison.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

God, what an episode and what a sequence. Just amazing watching that for the first time and every time since then.
You can show somebody who's never seen a single episode of Doctor Who Heaven Sent and it still just plays out as a loving great short film that you'll still be thinking about days later.

My ex-wife never gave a gently caress about Doctor Who (She was a Torchwood gal for a minute, though) before that, but that not only made her a fan, Twelve became her Doctor.

While it's only in my top three favorites to watch myself, it's almost certainly the finest episode of Doctor Who ever made.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was only aware of four and his love of Jelly Babies through osmosis, really, as all of him I've seen is clips and Genesis of the Daleks, but I still marked out during Orient Express when Twelve pulled out a cigarette case of them and offered one up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe 15 uses a remote control because unlike all prior Doctors, who used a magic wand to fight mostly science stuff, he's fighting myth and magic stuff with a science thing.

I hope that made sense.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Heaven Sent somehow lives up to every bit of the hype
Truer words are rarely spoken.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love that idea, but if I were writing for a show millions of people watch, I would have to take into account that that man has family, and portraying his decline as a quirk of The Doctor is something that would— I mean that's a man. That's a real person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

YouTuber Sarah Z
Her channel rules.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

So is Jodie Whittaker just immune to fall damage or something
Post-regen invulnerability.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kerblam!, the Timeless Child stuff and Flux are all capable of generating huge amounts of discussion.
I agree about Kerblam!, but not the last two. I can't even remember the last two.

I couldn't remember the last two five minutes after I saw them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've seen a LOT of bad takes on the internet, but woof.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Update your bookmarks and never give fandom.com a single click again, because they're awful.
Oh, dip. What'd they do? Was it the transphobia somebody mentioned?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boxturret posted:

Fandom is the company that has all the millions of fan wikis and they're quite terrible.
I understand that part. I'm asking why. What'd they do?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wow. I knew the experience of using them sucked, but holy poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a fool's laughter, 2house2fly. All sound and fury signifying nothing.

I don't know if I came up with this, or if somebody here said it and I just adopted it, but his entire run is The Silence. You can't retain it. The moment you look away, it just VOIPs from your mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm halfway through Flux

It's pretty bad innit
None of us knows. You won't either the moment it's over.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All And Then and zero And Therefore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

The ones I remember are with Friends-like substitute titles.

The one where maybe Amazon is good actually.

The gang butcher historic civil rights movement.

The one where they kill a new species and the Doctor is mad because she wanted to do the final slaughtering using a different method.

The one where they planet of the apes climate change.

The one with the dogs.

The one where they eventually let Master ra ra rasputin.
I remember three-and-a-half out of seven, which sounded good until I realized I couldn't remember why Amazon was good, what else happened in the one with the dogs, or why The Master was Rasputin.

Like, at all. Nothing.

Coward posted:

There is a lot of Chibnall that occasionally feels like, if you'll pardon the expression, "cargo culting" Doctor Who.
While I'm with you that we need a new colloquial metaphor to express this very phenomenon, as the old one is just bananas racist, that's absolutely what was happening. He learned all of the wrong lessons from watching better showrunners.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Good news! No reason at all is given.
Ope. I do remember that now.

At least it was fun. We talk a lot about what a waste of two entire amazing Doctors those years were, but what a waste of a loving fantastic Master.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why streamers don't all have a live feed is beyond me. Netflix is only just now testing theirs with Jake Paul Vs. Mike Tyson of all loving things, but the social aspect of watching things at the same time as other people is a huge part of watching poo poo.

The WWE Network had one, and it was super awesome until we all realized they weren't going to put anything good on it.

I spent years wondering why I would always watch horrendously edited versions of certain movies with ads when they came on TV despite the fact that I had the DVD not two feet from said television, and eventually I realized it's because knowing other people were seeing it at the same time does something rad for the human brain.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Please address River, please address River, please address River.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I actually sort of hope that he doesn't go back to any of his old wells. I'd prefer some tight, one-off episode that focuses on the Doctor's more human emotions and has a cool monster in it. Somebody else can take a stab at River or the Paternoster gang or whatnot.
Yours is the right position, and mine the wrong, but dammit, he's The Doctor and I want him to save her from living in a computer. :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For a second there, your typo had me all hype for a Thirteen episode I'd somehow missed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's loving bananas that out of fourteen doctors, there has never been a single bad one, but Gatwa just danced his rear end right into it like it was written for him from the start.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty sure if we didn't get a multi-doctor story for the 60th (the last few minutes of The Giggle notwithstanding,) we're not geting one, which makes me quite sad.

Have they ever done one that wasn't an anniversary?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still don't understand why we haven't done one with every living Doctor and maybe even all the old companions. I'm shocked the 50th didn't do it, and it wasn't so amazing I'd be angry about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

True, but it's awesome watching The Doctor talk to themselves.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Robert J. Omb posted:

I don’t think Twice Upon a Time was an anniversary(?)
I suppose you're right! For some reason I don't count that or Power. The former because more what I mean is the original actors, though it's still fun even when it's, say, Matt Smith and Flesh Matt Smith, so Twice counts. It was a good time and I enjoyed it.

Maybe the latter I don't count because it was happening in Thirteen's mind. I don't know. My brain is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I admit that it's something that could easily become a crutch, or overdone, but there have only been a handful of them in sixty years.

You're all right, of course. Like with River. I want something that would only end up breaking my heart if it didn't turn out amazing.