Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gatwa's charisma carries the episode, but yeah it's largely Christmas faff.

Ruby comes off thick as a brick at the end, but I'm chalking that up to terrible writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why isn't it May yet

:negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Yes, this is Eighth Doctor Season cope.

Wolfechu posted:

Or it's a season from the Silurian's POV, so each week they try to take over the Earth, and each week a different Doctor shows up and stops them.

Can we have both of these ideas?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If a UNIT show exists to bring back old companions for cameos I'm all for it.

But yea Noel Clarke in the bin

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mickey and Jack Harkness fuse together to form The Face Of No

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*Accents exist*
Random American: "YOU BRITS EVER CONSIDER SPEAKING ENGLISH?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Doctor Who: ((Scottish noises))

:hmmyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I very much hope Gatwa gets a Moffat written 2 parter at some point

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just :lol: if you don't consider The Empty Child + The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, & Silence in the Library + Forest of the Dead as some of the top tier episodes of RTD's run.

Moffat writing an ep(s) where he's not the showrunner should make you excited.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Surprised one of the first posts wasn't The Comic we all know and love - feel like that should be part of the OP

This one?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want The Beatles episode to be about them being attacked by a giant beatle

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Clara's much better with 12 than she is with 11.

With 11 she's effectively cast as Amy 2.0 across from him, which is why 12's "I'm not your boyfriend" moment made for good character development; as she stops being Flirty McFlirtface

She probably beats out Bill for best 12 companion, but there's a strong argument to be made for the reverse.
Nardole always gets the #2 spot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Also, in the modern day, everyone on the planet should know about Daleks and Cybermen. At that point sci-fi is just basic education.

I think there's a good episode to be written, where you'd have an entity that keeps eating memories/resetting things back to Regular Earth Standard to explain how people never seem to recall any of the alien events that occur.

Cause yeah, giant alien spaceship in the sky has happened enough times that aliens existing should be general knowledge & alien tech should be semi-common

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah reckon it's them potentially overestimating how much they're valued at.

They're obviously worth a fair bit of money to lend them out for digitisation, but probably not the multi-million dollar payday they'd be hoping for.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It wasn’t how he got famous but iirc Tennant did a few parody bits about Who on sketch shows before he actually got cast

Where's Rowan Atkinson Doctor then :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a massive Old-hu fan, but surprised Troughton's Tomb of the Cybermen wasn't mentioned.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

What about the "WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!" scene with the closing door!?! :ohdear:

Great now I gotta rewatch it..

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oof forgot about Toberman in Tomb of the Cyberman

That certainly is a Man Friday insert, isn't it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's cause his Broadchurch work was good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

tl;dr - The Timeless Children is a bad episode of Doctor Who and Chris Chibnall was a bad showrunner.

Chris Chibnall's legacy. loving up decades of canon with the Timeless Child, undoing John Hurt's legacy of saving Gallifrey by killing the population off-screen, and handwaving the death of half the universe in a lovely 6 part event.

13 was written as just reacting to whatever situation they were in, and having very little gravitas in the dire situations where it called for it.

And it sucks, cause Renegade Doctor rules.. but I'd rather they just sweep it all under the rug and get on with 15 having a good time.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"There's no time! I need to get down there!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Episode 1
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774421389421765059

Episode 2
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774428938942521412

Episode 3
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774436488085643718

Episode 4
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774444037413482910

Episode 5
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774451587085144512

Episode 6
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774459136710729780

Episode 7
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774466686130716964

Episode 8
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774474235752157656

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 31, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So full episode title list is out

RTD apparrently has been chomping at the bit with 6 of the 8 episodes written by himself. (Add in the recent specials and that's 10 of 12 episodes!)
Moffats back for an ep!
Kate Herron is the Director of every ep of Loki S1, so that ep should be interesting to see.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Widescreen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwebgSJ60k

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So nice we posted it twice!

Looking like a destroyed Gallifrey in a few shots. And the Moffat landmine story looking legit

Hoping that's part of the regular music tracks as well, it rules.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's backed up with stories and he's blowing his wad all at once

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I like how much horror vibe that 2 second teaser of 73 Yards gives. Very Dæmons.

It's the Slitheen.
They're back on a D+ budget.
They can fart up to 73 yards away to kill their targets

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you turn 73 upside down you get EL

Then if you add DEVIL to the front you get

THE DEVIL

We're through the looking glass people

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RichMarinKT posted:

What would happen if The Doctor bi-regenerated or something and ended up in a male and a female Doctor? Would they consider traveling together? What would that series be like?

I don't know how often The Doctor in love gets addressed in the extended media, just the episodes, but would they consider falling for themselves? Thirteen did tell herself that she looked pretty cute. There seemed to be some minor flirting.

New Doctor hates Old Doctor, cause they can't believe what an idiot they used to be
Old Doctor hates New Doctor, cause they can't believe what an idiot they're going to turn into
Each one knows they're the smartest one in the room
More Doctors just extrapolates this out further

Gender doesn't matter

They never like the new interior

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

The Eleventh Hour really is the best Doctor introducing episode in the entire new show. I haven't seen the classics, so I can't compare to those.

:yeah:

Honestly I think all of the revival era intro eps have been rock solid, but Smith's is def the best.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To be fair even 10 spends 3/4 of his regeneration episode literally asleep before waking up to save the day.

Capaldi spends the first half of his ep being an absolute post-regenerative mess, the first part of the back half being a complete cock to Clara, and the last part defining what his Doctor will be like

Also has one of the hardest lines in all of the revival

"I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you.. thought you might appreciate a drink first, I know I would"

I don't mind 14 and 15 coming out fully cooked, cause that's def fun, but I hope we still get confused regenerations in the future - it's how we got 11th Hour

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rank em!

Post Regeneration Episodes
1 - The Eleventh Hour
2- The Woman Who Fell To Earth
3 - The Christmas Invasion
4 - Deep Breath

Rose, The Star Beast, The Giggle/The Church on Ruby Road are all odd ducks - as they're all 'fully cooked' Doctors.

If I were to include them they'd look like this

New Doctor Episodes
1 - The Eleventh Hour
2 - The Giggle/Church on Ruby Road
3 - The Star Beast
4 - The Woman Who Fell To Earth
5 - The Christmas Invasion
6 - Deep Breath
7 - Rose

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Woman Who Fell to Earth showed such great promise, and I still think it stands up really well as an intro episode, but sadly it was an intro to a Doctor and an era of the show that we didn't actually end up getting :smith:

Yeah basically. The Woman Who Fell To Earth separated from the rest of the season is an EXTREMELY great intro ep.
Dark, spooky, with a menacing enemy to defeat, ending with the inklings of a steampunk engineer Doctor? Can't wait!

https://i.imgur.com/TOuJoSr.mp4
:allears:

So much potential wasted :smith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also while it was never going to last since she needed the clean break in looks AND I really dug the Doctor's eventual new outfit... but she absolutely rocked the tattered remains of Capaldi's outfit, it was a great look.

:yeah:

I think you and I have been on the exact same wavelength about Jodie's run since it started, and that we're both continually bummed that her run wasn't under a competent showrunner.

https://i.imgur.com/l1QEcKZ.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shoestring budget vs Disney+ budget

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God I forgot how bad Revolutions was

Jerusalem posted:

Season 12 New Year's Special: Revolution of the Daleks
There's a scene early in the episode where the Doctor, depressed and weary, lies down to sleep for the night in her cell and decides to tell herself a bedtime story. The story she chooses is the opening paragraph of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which makes sense in isolation as a callback to the 10th Doctor's gushing over J.K Rowling in The Shakespeare Code from 2007. In 2021 it was a very different story, given J.K Rowling had started and would continue a descent into full-blown TERFdom.

But even that pales in comparison to the very, very, very unfortunate presence of two very prominent characters in the story played by Chris Noth and John Barrowman. Barrowman returns as Captain Jack Harkness, once a beloved fan-favorite character whose return was highly anticipated, until his career was effectively ended in the wake of fellow former Who actor Noel Clarke's own scandal, which brought to light Barrowman's well-known proclivity for flashing his genitals, placing them onto his co-workers and other "jokes" involving sexual innuendo and exhibitionism. Chris Noth makes his second appearance on the show, part of what appears was intended to be a recurring character until Noth's career was also ended in the wake of sexual assault allegations that saw him killed off as a character in Sex and the City follow-up And Just Like That... as well as a recurring role in The Equalizer.

:cripes:

Always thought End of Time was a good send off for Capt Jack, with 10 setting him up with Alonso
I'm probably misremembering things, but I thought it was known Barrowman was a sexpest by the time the episode was being filmed? I do recall it wasn't a positive reaction seeing him back on air either way.

Really really really hope RTD doesn't gently caress it up and bring him back

The_Doctor posted:

S2 is Flux done much, much better.

...huh. It is. It really really is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's OK, it was an evil TARDIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think a much better writer could have been able to frame it so that the Doctor's TARDIS is unique due to centuries of use by a single pilot, rather than a team as it is meant to be used, and that is how it has gained sentience over the centuries. The Doctor loves his TARDIS, and the TARDIS loves them back.

You'd then be able to put an emphasis on the other TARDIS being effectively 'just a machine/tool' at that point, or even having the TARDIS itself make the heroic sacrifice willingly.

I wonder if Chibnall had a disdain for the decades of lore and canon, because I truly don't know how a showrunner could be so incompetent.

Boxturret posted:

Every time you time travel it burns up a child like the machine in heaven sent. How does that make you feel doctor??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rek1TzX2vw