Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Really setting you up for Victoria's run on Taskmaster too

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mystes posted:

Have you ever watched, I don't know, jeopardy?

Nah Ken doesn't awkwardly riff for two minutes after every question with the least charismatic people in the world. Five words max then on to the next one.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sam Richardson won one too :gerty:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Bear for any of its "Best Comedy" awards.

Half an hour means it's a comedy, not hard to understand there.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There's enough difference between the Simpsons VAs in 2024 and the same VAs in seasons 1-8 Simpsons that new VAs would sound noticeably different. Nobody would care though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I finally finished watching Seinfeld and while I knew about the last episode by forum osmosis, absolutely nobody warned me about the music over the last clip show montage lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

4th, 5th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd is a good as order as any to air a movie series i guess

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I remember a director had a streak of something like 20 straight pilots picked up to series, but I can't remember who it was.

David Nutter hit 16 in a row.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Network TV had a such a chance with Hulu too. They had a super deep back catalog of endlessly rewatchable classic sitcoms, sports, and more experimental shows from their cable networks. They just never bothered to sell it to their advertisers like cord-cutting was going to magically reverse itself or something.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Hulu was dead the moment the Walt Disney Company announced they were buying 21st Century Fox.

Absolutely, that consolidation was brutal.

The worst part is that you could've seen it coming from a mile away. Netflix was license Moneyballing everything they could get their hands on while simultaneously using their New Media Union contracts to shoot very pretty but usually terrible in house media. Hulu could've smothered it in its crib with back catalog alone, but all the studios decided that making heinously expensive TV Shows on rickety platforms was the best move, so here we are.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I don't know a student or colleague now who has watched The Good Doctor or New Amsterdam. And the majority of people I know well enough to discuss TV habits with are doctors.

New Amsterdam is a little different because (at least in season one), they really pushed for medical accuracy. If an actor wasn't precisely nailing a surgical procedure, they'd have a real surgeon scrub in to do it on camera. Real medical professionals don't wander the hallway loudly discussing their patients, but you know.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

How's True Detective this season? Is each season its own little bubble? I ask because I heard Jodie Foster is in it.

Second favorite season of mine so far. There’s definitely a lot less happening without the multiple timeline tricks the other seasons used.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Source?

I'm surprised Prime doesn't make money.

Most of the other streaming platforms don't bundle in free two-day shipping with their movies and shows.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HATEPOSTING posted:

Done with childrens hospital, medical police, burning love, newsreaders and ntsf sd suv. what do I watch now?

Review and Angie Tribeca

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I stopped watching halfway through the first season, but didn't the main character who wasn't James Spader just like... get written out of the show halfway through the series or something?

Ryan Eggold? He was ~5 on the call sheet and they killed him in season 5 of 8 so he could star in a spinoff that only made it one season.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Why did she leave, was it because she didn't have a solution to the twists or behind the scenes nastiness?

I have heard many fraught things about the vibes on that production. Many crew members have carved out their particular favorite place to hide and cry.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They did a viral outbreak episode where people were contracting a deadly airborne virus because a computer virus learned how dna worked.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Why did Musk marry Grimes? Some things are just a mystery.

I've always assumed people with money and fame simply flock together to spread the prestige cyclically amongst themselves.

They typically do it because their schedules, demands, and lifestyles are so weird as to make relationships with non-famous people really difficult. Celebrities experience a much sadder, lonelier world than the rest of us.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Short seasons are awful for episodic comedy because they get driven way too much by the season's narrative. They also make holiday episodes stick out like sore thumbs. Great News could've been a real hit if they'd had 23 episode seasons.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Do writers for shows know when their show will air?

Nope! Showrunners on down find out about an hour before the press releases go out. This can happen any time during or after filming.

E: Network shows do have a much better idea as they are usually greenlit for the beginning of a season. (If they're more-or-less episodic, holiday episodes can get slotted into an appropriate place.) Weekly release cable/streaming shows often find out later in principal. Binge releases and heavy vfx shows find out well into post.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 21, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh god oh gently caress posted:

It's really a shame how bleh season 2 is because season 1 was Amazon's first good show and I loved every minute

I will fight you on behalf of the honor of Patriot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

I've had See on my watchlist for ages now, I got partway through episode 1 a year or two back and remember thinking how ridiculous it was. I didn't continue watching. Is it worth me ignoring how silly it is, because it's a very good show? Or is it mediocre?

It does not get less ridiculous, just a little predictable by the end of s2. The Queen's accent does not get any less insane. There's a time jump v early in S1, so don't worry about the A plot grinding to a halt. If it doesn't pass the three ep test, drop it and don't worry.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

It's a matter of time before someone who was 'cancelled' over serious things makes their big comeback specifically by becoming a spokesman for campaigns to ban woke people and companies. And see zero hypocrisy in doing so.

If this hasn't already happened.

You are thinking of Donald Trump.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

UnquietDream posted:

I think the only response to this is that scene from Resurrections...

Some suit at WB is absolutely obsessed with putting in a bunch of meta references to WB in their movies, like they think they they can camouflage their lovely meddling with self-deprecating jokes that just so happen to mention the brand name.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh jay posted:

Kissing should not be improv-ed and intimacy coordinators are a good, important thing.

Intimacy coordinators are great, but they serve at the whim of the studio, so they can never really ensure that scenes are safe for the actors.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

joebuddah posted:

I have started watching Australian Border security. This has become my new background show. I don't know how or why it got in my YouTube feed. However I find it oddly enjoyable.

Yikes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hate binging because it's just nice to be able to participate in the conversation a couple days later and pick up on things you might have missed. I just finished Fallout last night and I feel like the discussion cycle is already over.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Haven't Andor and HotD proven that SFF shows are best aired weekly? Both of those got huge amounts of momentum from word of mouth to get on their hype trains.

I'm really bitter because my wife wanted to watch Fallout with me, but we have much different work schedules. So many threads are spoiler minefields right now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arist posted:

The binge model is categorically worse for discoverability, discussion, hype, speculation, and audience-building. Hell, I'd even wager it creates perverse incentives that make the shows themselves worse.

You don't have to wager. Showrunners have come right out and said that Netflix demands specific pacing structures for episodes, down to the minute, where certain dramatic beats are expected to happen per episode to keep people watching a season. Want a nice slow burn to let the dramatic tension in your show build? Nope. Something crazy has to happen in the first four minutes or you don't get to keep your show.

The SR for Blue Eyed Samurai said that Netflix only counts views in the first two weeks of a show's release to determine whether or not a season gets picked up. Hope you picked the right ending for your season or people will curse your name forever if you ended on a cliffhanger or tied things up too neatly.

A binge-released season is Netflix's answer to the irrational demand that people want to know if they'll like something or not in its entirety before they watch it. Within a day, you can safely know if a certain media product will satisfy your expectations or not and that's a pretty terrible way to experience something that is purportedly art.

Binge releases are also miserable for second screening. Human attention spans simply can't withstand more than a couple hours of watching at a time, so out come the phones. Netflix doesn't give a poo poo if you're on Instagram the whole time, because you'll still post your opinions the same way a rapt viewer will. A lot of people complain in this very forum that acting has become less subtle, that central plots and themes are overtly and repetitively stated, that there are too many blatant flashbacks, and that every joke gets lampshaded to death. This is done deliberately by producers so that second screeners will whine less about plots being confusing and hard to follow and the problems are compounded by dropping a whole season at once.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't think of an example of that outside of Severance.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They had moral philosophers as consultants, so I think they just presented it incorrectly to set up Michael sacrificing himself later.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Truspeaker posted:

The montage at the beginning of season 2 of The Good Place was one of my favorite TV watching moments ever. Going in I thought them having to figure it out all over again was going to be the whole season. Seeing all those potential storylines turned into quick jokes, particularly the one where Jason figures it out, was a constant series of delights.

I rewatch that episode all the time. Michael's face contorting into shocked anger as Jason slowly works it out is even funnier than his line right after imo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I've always been curious about The Good Place, but I know the season 1 twist. And while that makes me more curious about season 2 and on, it makes me think it will make season 1 a bit of a slog, knowing how it ends, and I would just have to push through it, knowing it's ultimately just bullshit.

Is season 1 still good in its own right, even if you know the twist? If it is, I feel like I'd start it soon.

I'm sorry you know the twist already, but watching S1 while knowing the twist is also a great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is Sony going to shutter P+ and go back to their strategy of auctioning streaming rights to the highest bidder?