Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Episode four of Lioness: In a plot twist it turns out that Doctor Dad is the biggest piece of poo poo of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly hope HBO has a good support system for her. Don't click this spoiler if you haven't played the second game: Like, it's one thing that she's going to kill Joel, but now she's going to kill Joel played by a beloved actor. She will get hate both from fans of the show and from people who's thirsty for Pedro Pascal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Real medical professionals don't wander the hallway loudly discussing their patients, but you know.

It's adorable that you think that:allears:

Shageletic posted:

Of course professionals watch shows of their jobs as long as it's good and isn't too silly about it, alot of these shows have good consultants. Like I've heard Scrubs has some realistic points to it amidst the silliness, and some of the David Kelly shows have some realistic points from my viewpoint.
Scrubs gets the seal of approvement because the doctors actually research stuff, unlike House that just magically comes up with a diagnosis.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EricBauman posted:

Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

The Jack Ryan franchise is really weird. It feel like a bootleg of the James Bond franchise.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

On a Branagh tangent, my wife was watching the Harry Potter movie he did in the background, and I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Robert Redford.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fact that the Gentlemen got a netflix show is so weird. It's one of Ritchie's most forgettable movies (not as bad as Revolver and not as great as Snatch) and it seems to focus on the least interesting part of the movie (a member of the nobility growing weed).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, I did not expect the crows in the last episode of Beef.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

I grabbed a few episodes of The Gentlemen. I wish I hadn't. I more than want my time back. I'd just be happier going through life thinking there's a dope Ritchie series I can get around to eventually, than having watched it and know it's bad.

It's pretty clear that Ritchie has run out of creative juice at this point.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Brick owns, and is a very solid murder mystery thing -- to the point where I sort of think that the criticism of the Knives Out films being for being such "poor" murder mysteries isn't sort of beside the point of what they're doing. IMO they're sort of just popcorn thrillers, they're not really intended as anything remotely cerebral and they're fun for being that.

The Glasd Onion even straight up says that the murder mystery is dumb. The movies main point isn't about the mystery but about how evil and stupid rich people are.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Glass Onion was a bit too thinly made for that in my opinion. Everyone was a cartoon character.
So is the real life characters it made fun of.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, the Gentlemen is actually not that bad. Not even loosely connected to the movie though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It is with the drug farm and the hot londoner woman who has a office above a boxing gym

But they're totally different characters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the Gentlemen and it's a marked improvement over the movie and probably the best thing Guy Ritchie has done in years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IMO they are both wrong in the modern sense because they are monarchs.

They're also wrong in the context of the show and books that until the last season were pretty clear that monarchy was bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-rxmk6zPxA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Lioness and I have no idea what make to make of it. It is simultaneously "gently caress yeah, let's kill some terrorists" and "we're just creating the next generation of terrorists". The main characters are also both stupid and assholes: Zoe Saldana's character who's supposed to be very capable pulls out an undercover agent to give her a crash course in torture which leaves the agent with bruises that almost blows her cover. Her daughter survives a crash which to spontaneously abort. The dad then basically calls her a drunken slut who caused the death of her friends, he's supposed to be the good guy. They fair better than the rest of the special ops team however who's biggest character traits are their beards.

Then outta loving nowhere, Morgan Freeman appears.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Odds on we're 3/4 months out from a cancellation announcement

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1772273640446317052

Zendaya's gonna be in her forties when the third episode is filmed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Ya'll acting like it doesn't often take 3 years to bring out a new season of an HBO/ABC/FX show at the best of times.

The two year gap between season 7 and 8 of GoT was pretty unprecedented and that was a show with lots of special effects shot on a variety of different locations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

2 episodes into 3BP and I can't quite describe why, but the dialogue just feels off. The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub like one of the spanish/italian series that Mrs McHuge watches.

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!". If that were to happen it would be one of the most noteworthy scientific discoveries in decades, there is no way they would be shutting down programs.

My impression is that there's nothing they can do with the results. It's just random nonsense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

At first the show presents it as the results not lining up with current scientific theories, the idea that our view of science could be completely wrong should excite a good part of the science community not lead them to kill themselves.

Then later it becomes more clear what is going on, but it’s the show fault for waiting five episodes for the story to really get interesting.

It's pretty clear from the first scenes in the first episode that scientists aren't killing themselves because of the colliders being buggy. It's even implied that they're not actually killing themselves when the detective says that they sure are committing suicide in weird ways.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

But then the show trips itself up by showing us a very clear suicide on screen, by someone whose shown to be working on a collider.

And then immediately after her friends are talking about how weird that was and that it really wasn't anything leading up to it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, my favourite of the three is Jupiter Ascending. Just completely awesome, an Edgar Wright Burrows pastiche with tonnes of camp and and a great villain performance from Eddie Redmayne. Terry Gilliam cameos in a Brazil world sequence. There's the wedding sequence... I can totally see why others would hate it, but I had a blast.

Redmayne's acting was so terrible that he either must've done it intentionally to sabotage the movie or that he was directed wrongly...as a joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ckBIXZ044&t=5s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, his performance owns and is perfect for what the film is doing (which is knowing camp).

Someone should've told the directors and the other actors that. Redmayne's acting is bad, but at least he acts, unlike Mila Kunis who just recites her lines.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Telemarketeres on HBO. It was interesting. But one thing, they make a big deal out of the fact that the telemarketing companies don't do background checks. Which is kinda funny to me coming from a country where background checks are illegal except for very specific jobs.
I had to take one because I worked with kids and even then they could only check for crimes related to children.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So Baby Reindeer was pretty soul destroying, in the last episode when the father quietly says "I grew up on in the catholic church...." it felt like an emotional nuclear bomb went of.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mistermojo posted:

The Sympathizer is good. I like the sardonic tone. thats a good way to adapt a novel

And also he fucks a squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I assume Sex and the City was like Law & Order where they were just pulling from the NYC actor pool which is how you end up with a lot of people who eventually became famous.

Same with Seinfeld who even features Kristin Davis.