Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1742412141846557112

Nowadays you wouldn't even see Mr Ed on a surf board before the season finale

He wouldn't even talk for the first time until the end of the season finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zoux posted:

I didn't quite grasp what FAST was until I was looking into the Westworld stuff, I thought it was more like an ad supported tier. But nope you wanna watch two episodes of Westworld you have to be in front of your TV starting from 6:15. And you wanna watch three? gently caress you, see you tomorrow, same bat time.

yeah FAST is just free cable tv. and like bull3964 said, sometimes very specific free cable tv.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Edward Mass posted:

The Bear, Succession, and Beef won all the Emmys. This is your Emmy report.

And Paul Walter Hauser called out Matt Cardona in his acceptance speech.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MTV is just a glorified Ridiculousness FAST channel on Roku tv.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

GreenNight posted:

Just wake me when I can watch the Wrestlemania from the 80s.

They're all on Peacock if you care. They have pretty much the entire WWE/F /WCW/ECW library.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

I guess I haven't been following wrestling news, how long did the WWE network last?

5-ish years? Then they made a deal with Peacock and possibly they'll move it to netflix i guess when the deal is up. I think the network still exists overseas, I think?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BonoMan posted:

Netflix also cancelled The Mothership, the Halle Berry sci-fi film that was already in post-production after "suffering from multiple post-production delays."

Which is weird because... just release it later? But I'm assuming that is just code for "poo poo was real bad and not worth releasing" but that's doubtful.

Maybe the computer crashed and they lost all the spaceship shots. :(

zoux posted:

jesus christ

I thought that was bad before I realized I missed the "last 3 months" part!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The Finn posted:

Still shocked Will Sasso was involved with something so deeply lame

Was his career just already done? Because being involved in an unauthorized AI scheme using a dead comedy legend seems like it would be career suicide.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

I was looking for a show that had already finished not to binge but... kind of the opposite. Something I can put on as many times as I want before bed, that will hold my attention and be something I'm at least a little invested in, but that I can turn of half-way through the episode to get back to next time.

Anyways I found Better Things. It was something I had dismissed when it was airing because it looked like one of the many darker family dramadies that came out around the time. Learning that it was a Louis C. K. show didn't help because I didn't actually like Louie. But it's pretty fun.

I don't know if you're into genre stuff, but Supernatural, X-Files, and Stargate are shows that have a billion episodes that are kinda just chillin out with the characters going on adventures vibe.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

GreenNight posted:

drat. I liked this show. It went places.

I'm sadder about Obliterated being canceled than almost anything else in recent memory. Welp.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Rappaport posted:

It's a good show all the same :unsmith:

Being really into Oz and then the Matrix trilogy and Lost, Harold Perrineau was basically an A list superstar in my eyes for a decade.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Don't forget transphobia what with Dave Chappelle just showing up randomly the other day.

Today Chappelle won a Grammy for his most recent stand-up special, so...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

There's something bitterly funny that Joel McHale and everyone had to fight tooth and nail for every half season of Community, while this pile of crap is pre-renewed for season 3. Happy for McHale, but lol.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1754973265758761061

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The Finn posted:

She's such a stunningly bad actress

Better or worse than Ronda Rousey? I dare say better.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Arist posted:

Rousey was in 7, but Carano was in 6!

What's funny is I love those movies and while I remember Carano was in 6 I have no memory of her in the movie.

I do however remember Rousey in 7 and not for positive reasons.

So Forgettable terrible vs. Showstopping terrible, i guess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

IIRC Carano was the Rock's assistant who turns out to be evil?

oh poo poo i think you're right. i can't even remember if she had a Girl Fight™ with Michelle Rodriguez or not, tho. I remember what stood out about Rousey's fight scene was her absolute lack of charisma even doing the thing she was known for doing irl.

It'd be like stunt casting Gordon Ramsey as a celebrity chef in a movie and then somehow he completely fails at playing a celebrity chef.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

pentyne posted:

Rousey knew to get out of the UFC after getting humiliated 2x times in a row after being talked about like the Mike Tyson of women's MMA.

I can't remember the specifics but I think it basically boiled down to her being really good at only 1 thing, and having no defense against anything else which top talent Holmes and Nunes exploited. Rousey went from the top of the MMA world to an easy 1 round knockout and retired immediately after the 2nd time in a row she got dropped hard in under 2 rounds.

Once everyone figured out the cheat code was:

1. Under no circumstances do you EVER let her touch your arm, even for a second.
2. Bop her in the nose a few times.

The Rousey era was done.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

zoux posted:

I feel bad for Dakota Johnson. I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL. But all her movies are critical disasters so the public probably thinks she's budget brand Shaline Woodley. She should do more comedy, except that they don't make comedy films anymore so she'd have to go back to TV.

She reminds of Henry Cavill in the sense that they really seem to be a good sport up and open to different roles but they keep getting let down by the projects.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Arist posted:

Max: The One to Watch for HBO

Actually you go to Netflix now to watch HBO Originals like Six Feet Under.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Golden Bee posted:

That's some A+ blame-throwing. PR team earning their $.

When this stuff happens it always feels weird to me. Same with Cosby, Weinstein, or Vince McMahon. I'VE know this stuff. I've known about Schneider and the poo poo he's done and I am absolutely not connected in any way to Hollywood. And I'm sure a lot of us have known about it. So is it strange that nothing was ever really said or done about it until now or is it weird that it's happening now all of a sudden?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

3 body problem was good and they made some decent changes from the book to make it more tv showable

I'm going onto the 4th episode and I like it. The humor doesn't always work and it's a more "breezy" maybe? than I thought it would be, but it's compelling. I've only read the first book and it feels like they might go further than that this season or maybe the pace is just going to get real slow, I dunno.

For a book that I thought was pretty much unfilmable they're getting it done.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Paramount Global kicked their top CEO out and isn't replacing him with a new one, establishing an "Office of the CEO" instead with 3 execs. They are the CEOs of CBS,
Showtime/MTV, and Paramount Pictures/Nickelodeon.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/shari-redstone-paramount-memo-george-cheeks-chris-mccarthy-brian-robbins-bob-bakish-exit-1235899097/

Seems like a pretty clear sign that a merger is going to happen really soon.

Oh, and this is hilarious.

https://www.ign.com/articles/paramount-ceo-earnings-mission-impossible-2024

Merger with who? WBD?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/RichardERoeper/status/1786382262298165551

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Ding ding ding.

The shows are

1) Too Expensive
2) Too Many

This all got flipped on its head when studios became vertically integrated distributors of their own content. At that point, things changed from selling shows to using shows to sell the service. That pushed them to out-compete and out-produce rivals which resulted in massive overreach in content production. It's all about chasing the new. The new thing will bring someone into the service that's not already subscribed. Everyone adopted the Netflix model while still trying to be a traditional business with shareholders that require growth every quarter and other business divisions that don't like having their financials be dragged down by losses.

While all this was happening, the growth of social media, the internet, and short form video meant it was easier than ever for advertisers to do low budget hyper-focused ad campaigns. Why spend millions of dollars with an ad company to try to find out what will catch the attention of 12-14 year old girls and then figure out where to place the ad spots and buy them when they can just strike a few grand deal with someone that does kids toy unboxing videos on YouTube to promote their thing and reach the audience directly with a simple script?

To be clear, the ad apocalypse was coming regardless. The writing was on the wall long before the rise of the streaming factions. The proliferation of content coming out of the 90s and into the early 2000s divided eyeballs too much and devalued ads. This is the reason for the rise in carriage agreement disputes and bundling channels when it comes to cable companies. They were trying to offset the ad revenue drops by getting more direct payment. That was then taken to its full extreme by introducing all the streaming services. Then social media and short form video arrived on the scene and stole even more eyeballs.

At this point, the only real long term solution is massive contraction, but capitalism won't allow that. Number must go up every quarter. The lack of proper social safety nets including lack of universal healthcare means a contractions would also be devastating to those in the industry that aren't multi-million and billionaires. So, we're going to see increasing enshtiification to try to squeeze every penny out of the consumer until we have multiple uncontrolled collapses after the consumer refuses to bear the cost anymore.

I think on the movie side, "The Fall Guy" is a great example of the bloat. You have a movie that cost as much to make as Mad Max: Fury Road, but it's a summer action rom com. This is something that would have been about $20 million to make in the early to mid 90s which adjusted for inflation would be about $50 million today. This it cost nearly 3 times that and then they are bemoaning that it only made $27 million in its opening weekend. It may be a perfectly fine movie, reviews seem to support that, but it's not something that's going to make back a $130 million budget easily in today's market and they should have known that going in. "The Lost City" is a similar type of movie and had HALF the budget and went on to make $190 million which would be barely (or possibly not) enough to break even for "The Fall Guy" after marketing budget.

Same thing with Dwayne Johnson and Chris Evan's Christmas action comedy movie which has seen its budget bloat to 250 million dollars, or the cost of one and a half Dunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

CeeJee posted:

How much of that was spent paying the crew who were waiting for Johnson to show up for filming?

That and fresh piss bottles.