Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

You are a nerd posted:

Is there still anybody streaming b movies on discord on fridays, or did that worthless dork who tried to stop them succeed?

still doing it, just haven't bothered posting the invite in the thread 'cause i figured by this point anyone interested would already be on the server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

I’m interested and don’t have an invite.

here you go

https://discord.gg/hjaXz8zr

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Just saw Suitable Flesh and it was pretty darn good. Jays pervert opinions correct again

knowing it was the film he just didn't live long enough to make, it really is a great homage to stuart gordon, without just being a lame attempt to ape his style

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

IT FRIDAY, FUCKERS

starting at 8 est on the discord

1. Shogun's Ninja

2. Pray For Death

3. BloodFight

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

Did anyone watch the master of horror series on showtime? Any recommendations for good episodes?

cigarette burns is the best. i'm also fond of both stuart gordon's episodes, dreams in the witch house and the black cat. the screwfly solution is another one that has kind of stuck with me

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

im starting to think breen became self aware over the past couple of years

yeah, unfortunately it does seem that way. i remember when i saw twisted pair the theatre owner gave an intro where he talked about all the things breen wanted before giving permission to show it, and the biggest one was that is was going to be a one night, one showing in that prime slot at 9pm on a friday because breen wanted it to be an event, but they've definitely done multiple showings of tortured crossing which would indicate that he's less protective of it.

we can only hope that he's only accepted that people find the zero-budget effects funny and hasn't lost the hope of spreading whatever insane messianic nonsense his message is, but we're never getting another fateful findings or pass thru

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

SOMEHOW, FRIDAY HAS RETURNED

starting 8 est on the discord

1. The Wild Hunt

a dude crashes a larp to win back his girlfriend in what i assume will be a quirky, heart-warming romcom.

2. Santo vs Doctor Death

santo goes to madrid to fight art thieves

3. Verotika

i cant remember if i've played this before on a friday so gently caress it

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Movies for Sluts for Garbage

starting at 8:00 eastern on the discord

1. My Science Project

high schoolers find secret military time travel ufo's or something

2. Wild Beasts

what if roar, but cheap and italian!

3. America 3000

post-nuclear holocaust america is ruled by a tribe of warrior ladies who keep men enslaved

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

LET'S WATCH SOME ACTION MOVIES

starting at 8 on the discord

1. Black Mamba

a lady comes back from the dead to take revenge on the corrupt cops that murdered her

2. Cyber 2 Tracker

the first one had some passable action, so maybe this one will have action and a plot, but i'm not betting on it

3. 2019: After the Fall of New York

yet another cheap italian knock off of escape from new york, what could go wrong?

e: my internet could die, but i don't think i can blame the italians for that

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

It's Wil Wheaton, not Will. His parents took an L the day he was born.

this is not an empty quote

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FUCKIN MOVIES AND poo poo

starting at 8 eastern on the discord

1. The Goocher

since black mamba turned out to be the almost perfect blend of insanity and incompetence to make for great friday night viewing. let's see how william lee does with a horror movie!

2. Beyond Atlantis

a band of treasure hunters encounter survivors from atlantis, pg action ensues

3. Action Jackson

the stew ain't going to more : (

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

I'M ALREADY DRINKING

tonight at 8 est on the discord

1. Black Wolf

more rambling insanity from william lee. a middle aged cia agent finds out his highschool bullies have become terrorists and it's his job to take them out!

2. Fiend Without A Face

disembodied brains on a killing spree

3. Rollerblade Warriors: Taken by Force

i think the poster speaks for itself

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY DISCORD MOVIES

starting in about 20 minutes

1. 3 Knee Deep

2. The Dirt Bike Kid

3. Evil Destroyer

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

NO WILLIAM LEE THIS WEEK!

i figure i've gone to that well too many times in a row, so let's take a break.

tonight, starting at 8 est on the discord

1. Death Kappa

2. The Mind's Eye

3. Roller Blade

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DISCORD MOVIE NIGHT

starting at 8 est

1. Barbarian Queen

2. The Sisterhood

3. She

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY NIGHT DISCORD MOVIES

starting at 8 eastern

1. Escape From Area 51

2. Fatal Exam

3. The Roller Blade Seven

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You haven’t watched enough Vinegar Syndrome releases if you think a movie could be too bad for Blu-ray.

they're doing gods work

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

dreezy posted:

you are not immune to rich evans asmr

i dont think it counts as asmr when its the loudest thing in the mix

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S FRIDAY

starting at 8 eastern on the discord

1. It Came From Yesterday

2. The Boogens

3. Firecracker

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

some mysteries really do solve themselves

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

dr. thoss has some theme options tonight, jesus or louis gossett jr.

and i am using neither!

GOOD FRIDAY BAD MOVIES

starting at 8:00 eastern on the discord

1. Invasion UFO

2. The Unholy

3. Ninja: the Violent Sorcerer

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Kor was a good Klingon character

so were kang and koloth.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY DISCORD MOVIES

starting at 8:00 eastern

1. Reeker

2. Hell Hunters

3. The Killing of Satan

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

*worst plinkett impression voice* and kevin bacon

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY NIGHT MOVIES

starting at 8 est on the discord

1. Treasure of the Ninja

2. Ninja Demon's Massacre

3. Ninja Wars

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY DISCORD MOVIES

starting at 8 eastern with

1. Reign of Chaos

2. Radioactive Dreams

3. She

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Cade was absolutely Breen finally jumping in the shark and becoming way too aware of his meme status, there are way too many moments of winking at the audience + I felt a lot of indescribably dumb poo poo was done more so on purpose than genuinely. The gulf between even Twisted Pair and this is extremely wide, but it’s even wider comparing something like Pass Thru or Double Down.

I still thought it was a hilarious entertaining mess and had a blast watching it at Alamo last year but I fully expect his next movie to be too self aware to be as funny.

when i saw twisted pair in at my local repertory, the owner gave a little intro speech and said that breen was sincere but definitely aware of that his audience was laughing, saying something to the effect of "he told me he doesn't mind if people laugh at the effects as long as we're open to the message." he had also asked for a whole bunch of rules to turn the showing into a one-off special event

tortured crossing definitely feels like he's leaning into that self awareness in the effects and action, but there's still so much boring, repetitive, self-serious nonsense that it still feels like he's trying to say ... something?! and just wound up being the worst of both worlds for me, because effects stuff is fun at the start but rapidly wears out it's welcome leaving the whole thing to turn into a slog.

admittedly, the difference in audience probably shaped my experience and subsequent attitude towards the movie a lot, too. mike's slide-whistle story rang very true. twisted pair was the good even when it had rowdy moments, because we we all laughing and commenting together. tortured crossing, on the other hand, lived up to it's name. just constant idiot noise from a bunch of assholes who were no where near as funny as they thought they were, with one of the absolute worst offenders just a couple of seats back and to the right of me. i also remember they played it multiple times, which probably contributed to why it didn't have the same sort of "event" feel.

same thing happened between my two viewings of the room, now that i think about it, but at least tommy wiseau gave me five while i was waiting in line for the second.

at least the members-only late night secret shows have always been good.

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 21, 2024

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

TONIGHTS DISCORD MOVIES

starting at 8 est

1. Blood Legend

2. Ebola Syndrome

3. Horror Express

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i have now watched both Late Night With the Devil and the episode Half in the Bag where Mike and Jay talk about it

over all, i really enjoyed the movie. the "behind the scenes" stuff does break verisimilitude a bit, but no so much that it took me out of the movie. it was the same with the documentary aspect that kind of gets abandoned. a part of me wonders if it wouldn't have a quick scene where Ironsides narrator describes the aftermath and maybe toss in a line about how even through all this, Carson still beat their ratings. i understand the decision not to though, since a good chunk of the climax is entirely Delroys internal experience, it really could have undermined the tone they were trying for.

the performances are good. David Dastmalchian has been good in everything i've seen him in. the creepy little girl is decent at being a creepy little girl. Jay complained about the skeptic, but i recognised the character as being based on James Randi, who was something of a showman. the performance is a little hammy, but there's also a difference between the way the character acts when the cameras are rolling and when they're doing the back-stage scenes. i think having the character hamming it up for the cameras and studio audience works fine.

ultimately, the only thing that didn't work for me was the laser ghost. it really seems like a less-is-more situation. creepy girl with her pazuzu face, shot with lot's of tape glitches, weird angles from abandoned or toppled cameras, and more mundane forms of chaos like the crew and audience fleeing or dying, lightbulbs bursting or whatever. would have kept closer to the rest of the movie in tone, as well allowing the last scene before we go into main characters head to have more direct continuity with the final scene where the movie ostensibly comes back to reality.

overall, i think it is a very good movie. not perfect by any means, but still enjoyable.

one thing i am confused by, but it actually has nothing to do with the movie itself, is the reaction to the number of production companies involved. i have no particular enthusiasm for watching the logos, but i know making real movies is pretty damned expensive and i don't find it the least bit surprising that it's easier to secure relatively small amounts from multiple backers than a large amount from just one or two. seems like an inevitability for any independent movie with aspirations to being and actual movie, even if a low budget one, and i'm surprised anyone finds it noteworthy.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

but you aren't the type of person who actually invests in films

also the companies actually do exist, even if they're only created to make that one movie and then get shut down. i've actually dealt with a couple through work.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

TIP posted:

ok if it's not noteworthy find one other movie that starts with a full 2 minutes of production logos

to do this i would have to find the experience noteworthy, which i explicitly do not

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

TONIGHT ON THE DISCORD

starting at 8:00 eastern

1. Rabid Grannies

2. I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle

3. The Pit

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I feel like such a weirdo that I haven't liked the fallout series at all. Not due to some LORE CANON nitpicks, I just don't think its well written and it feels like a boring chore to watch it. The fact that i was watching it and shogun at the same time didn't help, but it really highlighted the difference in writing and general direction.

Shogun assumes the viewer is watching the show fully, 100% attention is required because nothing is said in the show that isn't important or isn't moving the plot forward. Every subtle inference is important and you'll quickly be lost if you're not actually watching the show. It also assumes the viewer can actually infer things from dialog and body language and understand things that aren't outright stated. Also I never knew what was going to happen next, every development was a surprise and it kept me desperately wanting to know what's going to happen next.

Fallout is a show for people who watch TV while scrolling on their phone. Anything important to the plot is repeated multiple times just to make sure you got it. Nothing is left to be inferred by the viewer so there's no subtly, everything is 100% on the nose. Everything that happens in the show is also very obviously hinted at before it happens, or is an extremely expected "twist" or well trod trope. Like the whole lead up to the "other" vault actually being bad guys made it so incredibly clear what was going to happen, by the time it finally happens I was bored and just wanted them to move the plot forward already after so much time "building up" to it. Fallout makes me constantly want to fast forward or scroll on my phone, because everything feels so drawn out.

i cant say i didn't like it at all, but for what it's worth i largely agree with you on the contrast with shogun.

I watched fallout over the course of about two weeks, while i binged shogun in one sitting after a friend and i watched the first two or three episodes. seeing anyone complain about the end being anticlimactic or whatever is just a disappointing reminder about the poor state of media literacy. we're constantly reminded both in dialogue and through action that Toranaga is clever, subtle, manipulative and willing to make sacrifices to obtain his goals, so of course he wins because he out manoeuvres his opponents. if you didn't expect it, it's only because you werent paying attention.

anyway, i gotta start movie night in a second, so i will post my fallout opinions later, but given that i am already solidly drunk, even relative to the general shittiness of my posting, that'll be a doozy

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I watched a movie tonight and this happened in it

been on my to-do list for a while!

also we're watching petey wheatstraw as i either sober up or decide my fallout thoughts are bad enough to deserve the drunkest possible post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

FRIDAY NIGHT MOVIES ON DISCORD

starting at 8 est with

1. The Weirdo

2. Zipperface

3. The Baby