Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SupergayStupidman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I legit never realized this was from a Conan bit until now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I read In Cold Blood and then I went and watched two similar movies about the event that came out a year apart: Infamous and Capote. The latter (which I'd seen ages ago in college) really is just a better movie than the former. Infamous is much more over the top, almost comedic in parts, which leads to a tone problem where it's clear that the movie doesn't actually care about the victims and the affected community at all. Plus the crux of the movie is just dumb as hell. Basically, it posits the idea that Perry brutally murdered that family because he was a sensitive little gayboy and his friend said a slur :(. Then him and Capote fall in love after a rape attempt and begin a torrid love affair. Just...dumb. Capote, meanwhile is a lot more nuanced, more interested in exploring the complicity of the author in turning an act of horrific violence into a best-selling novel. The acting in both films is fantastic, though, and I think I might prefer Infamous' Harper Lee, or at least she has more to do. The one exception was Daniel Craig as Perry, making him into a deep-voiced, confident, tortured intellectual completely misses the point.

Anyway, is Capote PSH's only leading role? I guess he's almost the deuteragonist in The Master?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Crescent Wrench posted:

On my way to see Goodfellas on the big screen, hell yeah.

I forget, is Goodfella DC or Marvel?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

the way you know all reality tv is fake is that all the people in that poly show appear to be attractive people.

lmao

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

WB throwing one last Hail Mary by giving Tom Cruise a massive development deal. Hopefully he gets a ton of money up front.

Is it a packaged deal that comes with McQuarrie?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think techies might be, overall, the most demonic group of people in history. At least our previous overlords commissioned great art and built public edifices. Tech bros only seem to care about computers and pop-culture detritus.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Condolences.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Carpet posted:

It's 90 minutes of an old Finnish man killing Nazis with practical effects, so yeah it's pretty good.

Those poor Nazis, what did they ever do to him? :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

X JAKK posted:

Mila says the australia-word
"Literate"?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lol, how

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When are they gonna make a Star Wars movie about stablekid?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't believe the Star Trek Discovery uniform is just a tracksuit wit a collar glued on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, not sure about this season of True Detective. Feels like it's trying too hard? What with all the seemingly overt supernatural (or superscientific, we'll see) elements right off the bat, and that research base with the flickering lights and spooOooky figure running in the background. Plus the crime itself seems too "big" and sensational. Also, uh, is Jodie Foster's daughter just a straight up pedophile? Because apparently the actress is in her late 20s and she was loving a 1516 year old, although maybe she's supposed to be playing a lot younger than she is.

Also lol at using that overplayed song for the intro.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

After a few days to mull on it, I thought it loving sucked.

I'll keep watching it lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a comment on the video by someone who saw the movie in theatres and the sound was hosed up there too, so it's not just a BD thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sharknado slashfic posted:

I was wondering about that too, he looked quite rosy. I guess they're trying to make him look like he's still alive.

You can do wonders with CGI these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh boy, True Detective just went full on 'memberberries for S1.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

In a.. good way? (lol)

I haven't watched S4 yet kinda waiting to hear if it's worthwhile

That same exact spiral shape just became a major plot point, with some lady who can see ghosts saying it's "older than the ice" and it's all but confirmed that her dead lover was Rust's dad. Also, the "Tuttle Corporation" has been brought up as the group funding weird experiments.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Relieved to see that Jodie Foster's daughter isn't a chomo, she's supposed to be 17 even though the actor isn't. She looks the same age as her

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't seen Barbie. My parents don't let me watch R-rated movies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arc Hammer posted:

The guy who made the Fake George Carlin AI "comedy" special is getting sued by Carlin's estate: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/26/arts/carlin-lawsuit-ai-podcast-copyright.html

Good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Grown rear end adults using the word "iffy" lmao

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ah, the MIB International model of filmmaking

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqBPJPzehZE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only solution is to take women out of movies I'm afraid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gutcruncher posted:

lol it’s like everything the Avatar remake’s showrunner says to promote the show just makes it sound like he couldn’t understand a children’s cartoon from 20 years ago

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1753223319644442722?s=46&t=nGLHvHjFd0Mgr2TKVx4enQ

“What if instead of Aang being a little kid and wasting time on side activities as a way to run away from his big scary responsibilities he just nuts the gently caress up immediately?? That’s interesting and in line with Aangs journey, right!? Watch my show please!”
I've only ever seen the M Night movie, no chance this is as good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PostNouveau posted:

Once again The Lighthouse stays winning

:amen:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1753501014668579319?t=8D1uUdi4NYUO49ydZhWdJg&s=19

Carl Weathers is dead. I guess he really didn't want to do another season of Mandalorian.

Awwww man :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
God I miss the halcyon days of middle school, when everyone I knew agreed that Disney was, "gay and for babies."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How do you know all of these people who aren't Mike, Rich or Jay? Cleanse yourselves of your filth, people.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone who acts like drinking is cool and is older than 25
You just described 90% of GBS

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stink Billyums posted:

in the good old days these would go straight to video
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755351713706324268

Won't be watching a single one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stink Billyums posted:

Back to the Future, Explorers, Weird Science, Real Genius, and My Science Project all came out in the span of 5 weeks. My Science Project was the last of them to be released and probably got buried in that wake, but I remember watching it a couple times in the 80's.

Jesus, BTTF made almost $400 million on less than $20 mil budget.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RIP Mojo Nixon, someone I know exclusively from that Mario Bros movie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gripweed posted:

I hope you guys learn a lesson when Madame Web comes out and it’s a perfectly acceptable fun little superhero movie.

Do you wanna just come out and plug your comic book movie podcast so you can stop bothering us about Madame Web?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Non Compos Mentis posted:

new one doesnt have bill paxton so why bother

Oh, doesn't it?
*Whole drat monkey's paw curls*

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 12, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kalel posted:

coincides with the brand tie-in blockbuster era. barbie, blackberry, air, flamin hot, house of gucci, tetris, dungeons & dragons. we've only just begun to experience the high tide of corporate schlock
Why are goons so dense that they think Blackberry counts as a corpo aggrandizement movie?

Anyway, just came back from Zone of Interest. Fun little flick.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ari Aster's producing a bigfoot sex movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfkthLpeXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dr_rat posted:

If your going to re-do a 90's comic cartoon it really should of been Batman: The Animated Serious. As you know that was legitimately good, with great writing and amazing art style that still holds up incredibly well today.

Counterpoint: leave it all alone.