Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
May the new year bring us many more trivia episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mysterious frankie posted:

I just want to take this time to respond to the poster who, near the end of last thread, made the erroneous claim that “Ds get degrees”. Ds do NOT get degrees. Not even at junior college. Probably not even at clown or hamburger college. Please don’t start this new year by slacking off and getting Ds because an elderly man or woman in the old folks thread told you it was ok, young people. Strive for Cs, the grade of champions.

Thank you.

As are easy if you try a bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

dreezy posted:

maybe this year some good movies will happen. probably not tho

Allegedly we're getting a third Venom movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Vinegar Syndrome just announced they're doing Hauntedween on bluray

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Madame Web could be fun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I thought they released a Kraven The Hunter trailer before the Madame Web trailer... why is it coming out six months after Madame Web?

Whatever, never mind, I don't care.

It feels like they're sending Madame Web out to die. Which is weird, a movie with four Spider-Girls could do really well. It definitely seems like an easier pitch than Kraven

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

trilobite terror posted:

maybe if they'd gotten a different nepo baby to lead, but as it stands it stars Dakota Johnson and she has all the charisma of a paper bag

She was good in Suspiria.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It’s 2024 and people are still opposed to a movie about lady superheroes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i see you missed the trailer lol

I saw the trailer, it's got Dakota Johnson, she's got a unique superpower that could lead to really fun action sequences, and it's got like four spider-women in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

lol is this a bit

I’m not saying it will be good, but there’s definitely space for it to be good. The Venom movies are good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Today I learned what Nardwaur is

It’s the metal band with the monster costumes, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

it has to be. kevin smith is a huge die hard fan

A huge die hard fan of what?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Die Hard 3 is fantastic. My one criticism is at the very end where they solve the situation by just telling the cops what's going on and flying there in a helicopter but that's just the very tail of an overall excellent movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

priznat posted:

Having Samuel L Jackson makes DH3 way better than 2.

Samuel L Jackson back when he played characters in movies instead of just being hired to be Samuel L Jackson, no less.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rageaholic posted:

Just watched Naked Lunch and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sL102pyaLg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe85jZhSflk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Endless Trash posted:

Quickly being convinced Disney is correct and they should be exempt from copyright expiration

The problem is actually that the copyright rules are still too strong. Everything Disney did with Mickey after Steamboat Willie is still under copyright. So we're in a situation where you can make original new content featuring the character, but if your content has Mickey doing anything that he did in Mickey cartoons still under copyright, you are in legal peril.

For example, Mickey never dressed in drag until 1929's The Opry House, which is still under copyright. So if you do a new Mickey Mouse movie this year about Mickey Mouse in drag, Disney could sue you and claim that the concept of Mickey in drag is still their intellectual property.

Now, you may argue that a character dressing in drag isn't original enough of a concept for Disney to own. And maybe you'd even win in court. But it would be insanely expensive even if you win. And as I understand it there's not actually a lot of legal precedent for this sort of situation. So you could lose. And worse, you could lose and establish a precedent that drastically reduces what's legal to do with public domain characters.

So to play it safe, you do stuff with these characters that's totally wildly different from what Disney has done with them. You make a lovely cheap horror movie.

And wait until next year to do your Mickey in drag movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I remember being really confused at how there could be just one male dragon in the whole world. Wouldn't he get tired?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Shinjobi posted:

ready player one already exists, it's fortnite

Fortnite's better than Ready Player One, you can be Frieza and play lead guitar on Buddy Holly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagine going to the theater to see Morbius just for the famous “it’s morbin time” line that the internet got you excited for only to find out after almost 2 hours that the line is low in the mix and easy to miss without headphones.

the CGI when he morbs out looks so lovely. They did an action figure of him in morbin' mode and it looks so much better as a toy than it did in the movie

300 dollars, that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I honestly wasn't sure if he was kidding about Pokemon. But it's real

https://www.pokemon.com/us/animatio...tendo%20Switch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7sEx-xIBDM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I was just listening to this podcast about Frank Schaefer, the guy who directed the documentary series How Should We Then Live? and Whatever Happened to the Human Race? which are largely credited for making abortion a major political issue for evangelical Christians and directly inspired multiple acts of violence against abortion providers including at least one murder.

Towards the end of the podcast the host says that Schaefer pivoted from Christian films and made several mainstream Hollywood movies, including the post-apocalyptic action movie Wired to Kill.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Arc Hammer posted:

Hey they got Neil Blomkamp to make a Gran Turismo movie! They're getting closer.

That seemed like an odd choice at first but when you think about it isn't a car the first cool exo-suit?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
ok this entire time I didn't know Devon Sawa was a person. Whenever I heard the name I just thought people were talking about Devon Aoki.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Jay's re edit is really really bad lol

It is bad but it at least communicates what's going on a lot better. I think that was the point, to be like, "this is what it would be like if someone who knew what a movie was made this movie"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh hey, Madame Web is coming out on Valentine's Day. That makes sense, it's got superheroes and the 50 Shades of Grey lady, it's got a wide appeal. Could be a good date movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Arc Hammer posted:

You enjoy torturing your dates with bad Sony films?

I am speaking purely theoretically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gutcruncher posted:

The pro movie theater strat is to only go to 21+ theaters

I thought most of those shut down? I know there's only one left in New York, and that's mainly for the Hasidic community

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

kalel posted:

having not seen godzilla -1, is it worth going to a showing of godzilla -1 in black and white? I'd like to see the movie but this version seems to be the only one playing and I heard color being called out as an important part of the movie. I had zero interest in mad max fury road chrome edition

Apparently it's not just a filter, they actually hosed with contrast and stuff in specific shots to make it look nice in black and white.

I don't really see the point, but I didn't see the point of the black and white versions of Mad Max or The Mist either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Directors of action and monster movies get to feel intellectual and important. Look out for Eternals 2 to be rereleased in black and white.

man they haven't even followed up on the Black Knight tease from the end of Eternals 1. What the gently caress are they doing?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

19 minutes into Verotika before my hetero movie watching life mate put his foot down and told me no we're not doing this

I’m sorry your friend is too insecure to watch erotic movies with you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

poisonpill posted:

You know, what? duchovny was good and such a great gag as the conspiracy theorist, but I think in terms of stunt casting, Zoolander might have been the GOAT with the David Bowie Cameo. Might be the best stunt cast of all time.

What some some other fun stunt castings?

Zombieland has gotta be up there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

I will take Fred Willard in anything. What a gem.
I was looking for something similarly paced but Austin Powers is too slow moving and all the Apatow stuff is pretty lame honestly. We've seen Airplane and Naked Gun/Police Squad now.

Have you seen Top Secret!?

I will warn you, it's not similarly paced. The jokes come way faster

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

priznat posted:

God I love Top Secret. It’s like a comedic fever dream.

it's so good. It has so many jokes that are like flawless comedy diamonds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just saw an ad for the new Ghostbusters, which featured Bill Murray saying a sentence. He sounded so old. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
earlier tonight I watched a movie where a guy is following a ghost to try to figure out who it was when it was alive, but then a drunk guy starts peeing on the ghost so the ghost attacks the drunk guy. The guy who was following the ghost grabs his gun, pulls out the clip, sprays the bullets with anti-ghost spray, puts the clip back in, and is about to shoot the ghost when a cop points his gun at him and tells him to drop it. So the guy spins, shoots the cop in the arm, then spins back and puts two anti-ghost rounds into the ghost. But ghosts don't have organs or anything so all the anti-ghost bullets do is put two holes in the ghost, and then keep going and end up in a girl's leg. At this point another cop shows up and shoots the guy in the back. Luckily, it turns out he was wearing a bulletproof vest on his ghost following mission.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cubone posted:

why did he have anti-ghost spray that doesn't work on ghosts

It does work on ghosts, ghost won’t touch anything coated in it. But the primary use is if you spray your eyeballs with it, you’re able to see ghosts.

Both applications are because the spray contains microscopic Menger Sponges, which traps ghost energy.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ah Menger sponges, of course

Yeah the plot is that the Japanese government, with international cooperation, is trying to build a really big Menger Sponge. They got the world’s greatest Menger Sponge expert to lead the program, but he only cares about them because of their ghost related properties. So he’s secretly using all the project’s resources on his ghost research.