Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Watch Skinamarink yesterday. Good film. Very tense but I can also imagine people who aren't into it being very bored by it

There were some scenes where I may have been the most scared I've ever been watching a movie and also parts where I literally nodded off, a land of contrasts. Should've been at least half an hour shorter and two fewer jump scares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like Berenthal, but goddamn I love Mann for just being brutal like that.

This makes that tiny Miami Vice reference in The Bear that much funnier/sadder.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

It was definitely one of the more worthwhile 3D experiences too. All those bullets and viscera flying at you in slow motion!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Meat Wagon posted:

I finally sat down and watched one cut of the dead and I loved it.

I knew there was a twist going in but I didn't know what the twist actually was. I thought it was going to be the fake horror movie they are filming turns into a real horror movie but that "twist" happens within the first few minutes and the remaining part of the horror movie section is still pretty bad and something feels off. It was obviously still a fake movie or just terrible. I wasn't expecting the second half of the movie to be a traditionally shot comedy/drama about the trials and tribulations of the director dealing with the logistical nightmare of trying to do a one shot and bond with his daughter.

It's not perfect by any means, there were a few moments where I felt it was pretty weak, but overall I really enjoyed it. Definitely a movie that benefits from you going in blind.

I watched this and then the French remake immediately after which was a weird experience because the French movie is a beat for beat remake that still references the Japanese film (and features one of the actors!)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

watched Asteroid City and man what a bore that was

(I generally like the guy's movies)

I had the worst audience with Asteroid City, a giant group came in and one guy would guffaw at literally every Wes Anderson-ism in the movie, so the entire movie. Sat next to a lovely talking couple at Poor Things this weekend (I remember the woman loudly saying "this movie better not suck or else I'm back to pirating" so I'm guessing they don't leave the basement much) but luckily they walked out after 20 minutes.

Also had a couple sit right next to me at Boy and the Heron despite there being many available buffer seats in the row, what the gently caress people?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

kdrudy posted:

Is Sofia Boutella any good in anything? I haven't seen enough other stuff with her to know but she's just awful in this.

She's a fun henchwoman in Kingsman.

PostNouveau posted:

Ricky Gervais calling all the Hollywood people Epstein-loving sickos at the Golden Globes was the only funny thing he's ever done besides The Office

I'll defend Extras and nothing else.
E: the opening scene of Life's Too Short

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

First of May posted:

He has lines, but I don't think they ever name his character.

I think it was Joe Bongo?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Please Jay, get a haricut... and a beard trim... and while we're at it, a Brazilian wax

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I will not stand for the May December snubs in the acting categories. What the gently caress is Nyad

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I saw a talk between Jason and Ivan Reitman when he was filming the Ghostbusters reboot while I tripping on LSD and I felt myself merging with the auditorium. Thanks for listening to my story!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

this tweet reply starts off as funny but it gets downright horrifying when you realize that someone, somewhere, in real time

in this actual plane of existence

will get paid actual currency to write a Hungry Hippos movie with that exact premise:gonk:

https://twitter.com/theworstfr/status/1750185480984113637?t=Orks42cPHTPn0q4qhQ3xiA&s=19

Well yeah. We gotta explore what made them so hungry in the first place.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

think i said it before but i remember the exact moment i knew that going to the cinema was up, when i went to see the rerelease of HEAT in what would be considered one of the big arthouse cinemas in dublin. some fucker was taking photos of the screen on their phone. right then i knew cinema was dead.

Lmao some dude was doing this when I went to see Ferrari. And he wasn't taking pictures of anything notable either.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Apparently it's not just a filter, they actually hosed with contrast and stuff in specific shots to make it look nice in black and white.

I don't really see the point, but I didn't see the point of the black and white versions of Mad Max or The Mist either.

Yeah I find this kind of thing gimmicky unless they intended it to be black and white to begin with, in which case just shoot it in black and white. It was particularly egregious with Mad Max and losing all the saturated desert colours.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

roomtone posted:

i've been holding off on watching this cos i know the Glaze is gonna make it well but like

i'm imagining a couple hours of low key family drama, accomapanied by a constant drone of human suffering in the audio and the very, very occasional shot of oh poo poo, a naked woman just climbed into the zone of interest ah good she was shot into little tiny pieces

Mostly right but you never actually see any direct brutality. It also has one of the most interesting endings I've seen in ages.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

priznat posted:

also one of the naked guns

Naked Gun 2.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Luckily it's harder to gently caress up a Kurosawa remake than, let's say, a Park Chan-wook remake.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Matrix 4 is easier to digest if you've seen Sense8, Lana Wachowski is just earnestly big on the lovey dovey stuff. Although that doesn't excuse the fight scenes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm still bummed I skipped it when it was in theatres because I read an article that the movie confirms Ridley Scott's extremely stupid idea that Deckard was a replicant.

It doesn't. It asks the question and deliberately doesn't answer it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The teacher getting beat to death like a lot of things in the book was very goofy. The only good thing about Three Body Problem (why the 3?)

1. What was goofy about it? That was the reality of the time.
2. It refers to a physics problem and more explicitly the alien homeworld

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2024

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess this is where the posters watching it congregate, so how has the tokyo vice been turning out? I sort of lost track of it, I guess because of shogun and the arc with the white lady trying to get the blueprints from the architect yada yada being a bit stale

It's owns, please to be keep watching so we see blessed with third season :pray:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Tokyo Vice finale last night was great and a very satisfying wrap up to the series in the likely event that it doesn't get a season 3.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, nevermind, I no longer wish to know anything about this guy

So Palpatine doesn't gently caress? This is very disturbing

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

kalel posted:

I'm glad, I saw a promo a while back before another movie and it looked like total poo poo

Lol whatever kind of movie you think it is, it's not that

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Why people keep crawling back to Bethesda even with a track record of Fallout 4/76/Starfield mystifies me, (also people willing to look past what Nolan the Lesser did to Westworld). I like the Fallout universe enough to keep watching the show but the best review I can give is that it's "fine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1786061021309743155

So sick that Cosmatos is hitting the big time now, casting Stewart/Isaac is pretty big coming from Cage being the only big name from the last 2 films he did. Mandy is still one of my faves and I never thought Cosmatos would be able to get a 3rd, let alone a 4th film greenlit but apparently he has a lot of power behind the next two.

His Cabinet of Curiosities episode was great and that had an interesting cast (Peter Weller, Eric Andre, Sofia Boutella)