Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

Huh, I was able to see it. Here it is :nms:

He jacks in the basement all day long
Clickin' and a-grippin' and a-wringing his dong
All the little socks folded at his feet
Ready to wipe up all the skeet skeet skeet
Jackin' Joggers. Skeet! Skeet! Skeet!
Jackin' Joggers. Skeet, Zipper-risk-free
Blow Jackin Joggers oh we really gonna jack tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLF3YZIjucs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The last time there was a big attack like this in Iran, it was ISIS, the group with the power to unite several competing factions from around the world to hate them. No idea who did this one, but it's not like Iran has only one enemy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Texas driving beats the hell out of the the plains states. At least you can drive at a good clip and see desert rock formations, especially in west Texas (West Texas into NM or AZ kind of rules for driving)

Kansas, East Colorado, etc is magnitudes more mind numbing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

Wondered why my shitheel GOP congressman was posting about his fealty to Taiwan this morning and found my answer.

Someone talk me out of this being another example of biden having no clue re foreign affairs.

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-us-does-not-support-taiwan-independence-2024-01-13/

The US has a one China policy and has had that policy for over 50 years. It would be a dramatic departure from US policy if the POTUS did announce a sudden and radical call for Taiwanese independence from China. Taiwan operates as if independent without signaling or declaring official independence from China.

If someone is shocked that the president did not call for Taiwanese independence, that is an example of them being ignorant of US policy, history, and current events. (It would also be shocking and unwelcomed by Taiwan itself if the US suddenly hollered about Taiwanese independence)

It is not helpful that US news seems incapable of reporting the legislative and presidential elections in Taiwan through any lens other than how it relates to US/PRC posturing. But it's probably not exciting for US headlines to address stuff like Taiwanese home prices or something or how a traditionally two-party system has significant gains from a third party, which throws off the balance in an already confusing legislative Taiwanese legislative system.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Everyone I've ever met from Hong Kong is very adamant that they are from Hong Kong, not China.

I’ve never met Jackie Chan either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Hell yeah let's pop his head like a balloon with a high caliber rifle bullet to teach him a lesson about being mentally ill in the United States. I, and I cannot believe I have to say this, am also being sarcastic because a cop shooting a gun isn't going to help anything

Hell, when the cop dismounts and has gis pistol drawn, the crowd of onlooker rapidly GTFO as they realize they are the fleshy backstop if the cop starts firing at the bobcat. Thankfully didn’t happen, but that was the moment of checking out the bobcat guy vs mortal danger.

Beaten

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

pmchem posted:

dude the Ukrainians have been shooting down russian hypersonics with export versions of the Patriot for months now and you're questioning whether a task force there to stop missile attacks can shoot down a lone subsonic cruise missile headed at a DDG that has been designed and upgraded over the past 30+ years specifically to stop missile attacks on task forces

it didn't even make it to the ship-borne defense layer, it got shot down by some fighter pilot just to show off

The DDGs out there are much more alert/prepared, but the 2016 engagement of Houthi-fired anti-ship missiles, while successful, wasn't all high fives and cocky assuredness. The US Navy even used the example in its pitch for new "Warrior Toughness" training for sailors.

https://www.usna.edu/CoreEthics/syllabus/classes/Vampire,_Vampire.pdf

quote:

After alerting the crew of the incoming threat, Mason’s on-watch Tactical Action Officer
rolled the firing key to green and gave the order, “Kill track Mike-November-Zero-Zero-One.”
Petty Officer Second Class Eric-Lee Howard repeated, “Kill track Mike-November-Zero-ZeroOne,” before reporting “birds away!” As counter measures left the USS Mason, smoke and heat
rushed over the deck in an instant and those just outside the pilot house felt the extreme effects
from the blast. Out of impulse, some of them hit the deck and curled up, but then quickly
resumed their duties as the success of the counter-measures became evident.

Across the ship, sailors sprang into action, bringing it into Material Condition Zebra, the most
restrictive condition in which valves, fittings, hatches, and scuttles are closed in order to divide
the ship into smaller compartments in an effort to minimize casualties and maximize the ship’s
chance of surviving. “In the moment, the situation almost seemed surreal,” recalls ENS Jeff Van
Hoof, USS Mason’s Officer of the Deck. “I had been qualified for [only] seven days and was
thrust into a situation that required all of my knowledge and concentration.” Van Hoof couldn’t
know at the time, but the USS Mason would remain in Zebra for the next five days (Hilliard and
Goodale 2022).

If you want to have some level of assuredness that you will destroy a ship, one missile sure isn't it, but you only have to get lucky once with a system being down, sensors not tuned well, crew behaving improperly. Air defense is one of those jobs where the sensors and people and weapons all hve to be "on" all the time, so you're rarely going to be able to count on something approaching a 100% intercept rate. Plus, if you ant to send a message that one night of airstrikes isn't gong to make the Houthis back down, a missile is a pretty clear way to do it. They're a tenacious and experienced organization.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
not only heavy, but it turns out that even a front end loader needs quite a low center of gravity to function.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Also it still hasn't connected for a lot of normies that it's a Biden vs. Trump general election.

otoh, when I talk to "normal" people who aren't that engaged in politics and aren't extremely online, they can't imagine it being anything other than Biden v Trump, unless one of them dies or is incapacitated or something. Some of them are convinced that Biden will die any day now, but they don't think there's any other way he won't be in the general.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

Has that ever happened, switching away from an incumbent VP on the ticket for an incumbent president? Seems like it’d be the kind of catastrophic thing that would tank a run.

Yeah, several times. It's not super common, but it's not unheard of. Some were pretty consequential, such as Abraham Lincoln changing VPs, then being assassinated, leading Andrew Johnson to be president. FDR had 3 different VPs, one of whom ran against him for the nomination while he still was the VP, which he lost, and was not invited back to run as VP in the general.

E: anything before the 12th amendment doesn't count.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Polling for those who care re Harris. https://www.latimes.com/projects/kamala-harris-approval-rating-polls-vs-biden-other-vps/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ocean mad.

https://x.com/volcaholic1/status/1749554817431675230?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

By that metric, I don't think the economy in America has ever been good in history? If the metric of bad is "I earn more than most people and hiring is strong, but what if I didn't anymore and what if hiring weren't strong anymore?" then that's a fairly low bar.

I think a better measure of long-term anxiety is tied to housing costs. Yes, houses are larger now, and that is a portion of why housing costs have jumped, but also you have areas where developers or NIMBYs simply refuse to build small houses or apartments, and that doesn't make people feel great when they're realizing that their one weird trick to own a home is moving to boring-backwoods, the small city.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It’s not a defense of this rear end in a top hat to point out that he pled to assault and battery, which is rather distinct from sexual assault.

Shoving someone and they shrug it off might be simple assault. Shoving someone onto the ground might be assault consummated by battery. Beating someone severely might be aggravated assault.

Committing a sexual act on a person through placing them in fear would be sexual assault.

quote:

an assault consummated by battery is defined as bodily harm to another done without legal justification or excuse and without the lawful consent of the person affected; bodily harm is defined as any offensive touching).

In the above an example of consent is agreeing to contact sports or a sparring match, not consent in the sexual sense. Some things can’t be consented to, such as consenting to being hazed or tortured.

I bet if he committed sexual assault, he would face harsher punishment than he is for assault and battery.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

I bet if he committed sexual assault his lawyer would be busting their rear end to get the sexual assault pled down to an assault consummated by a battery (which it technically is) so their client wouldn't have to register as a sex offender.

Fair, I should have said if he was convicted of sexual assault. He might have committed all sorts of untold crimes that he wasn’t convicted of for one reason or another.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Similar proposal of rule for federal jobs, though not entirely sure it is yet in execution:

https://www.opm.gov/news/releases/2023/04/opm-releases-proposed-regulations-to-prohibit-use-of-previous-salary-history/

A good change in general, but particularly since when jumping from one federal scale to another (i.e. NAF to GS or NH or whatever) sometimes jobs with near-identical qualifications of scope of work and supervisory roles would have pretty different pay.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sarah posted:

I’m highly offended you left out Stays. Going to start a campaign now to bring GiP down.

Look, I know the group has been defunct for essentially a 8-9 years now, but the enduring power of Orange Caramel fans cannot be discounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I’m just boosting the idea of more Orange Caramel in everyone’s playlists.

https://youtu.be/Med2XipHJJM?si=GsZ2aszDkzgQmpH8