Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh, Cody's fun. I've liked a few of her things (United States Of Tara, Jennifer's Body) and that trailer makes her new thing look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

United States of Tara was so weird. The first season is this grounded little dramedy, very clear on the premise that the different personalities are all Tara, they all have a clear emotional purpose for Tara. And then the second season starts, and suddenly each personality is a different person and they have discussions inside Tara’s mind, and one of them gets a girlfriend. And the teenage daughter gets a job as a repo man and she repossesses a black lady’s car but then it turns out the black lady is very wise and for no reason at all she starts giving the teenage daughter life lessons and a magic pair of boots.

I would really like to know what happened in between season 1 and season 2 of this show. It’s probably unfair but based on absolutely nothing I always blamed Diablo Cody for the show taking such a hard lovely turn.

Joey Soloway (of Six Feet Under and Transparent) took over as showrunner for a season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's just Labyrinth with a longer first act. I love Labyrinth, and I liked The Boy And The Heron.

I was moved, I experienced awe and light fear and cried a bit. I can dig deeper and work out why I felt those things, what I think the story was working towards, how effective I felt it did that, whatever. But not everything needs that analysis and I think it's fine to just enjoy the thing.

Frankly, a lot of people don't have the language or practice in doing that, and I think that's okay. I don't like the idea that there's a correct way to talk about your experience with art. It's your experience, you get to define what that is.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 12, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Empirical measures of movie quality
-Does someone's head explode?
-Does someone drink J&B Whiskey?
-Is there a guy in a rubber suit?
-Does it explore the human condition in a deep and thoughtful manner?
-is there a split diopter shot?
-Is there a gnarly stunt that makes you go "ouch that's gotta hurt!"?

If yes to one or more it's empirically a good film.

This list sucks. Complete lack of "Is there a shot that goes on for an excessively long time?" and "Did I see Roger Deakin's name in the credits?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

Same. And also Cuaron's oners in a lot of what he does.

Honestly, that term's just my half arsed film degree poking through... which is kinda counter-productive when I'm trying to make a joke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New Mean Girls: not mean enough, but Auli'i Cravalho blew Lizzie Caplan out of the water, sorry Caplan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't that just weed chocolate, or alcoholic chocolate? Seems like the most realistic thing possible in a Wonka movie.

The secret ingredient is snozzberry.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

if you like it bc it's stupid and gross thats beyond valid and i wish more movies were stupid and gross tbh. it's gettin boring out there. I miss my trash cinema like Shoot 'Em Up,

Coincidentally watched this for the first time last night and it ruled. I wasn't sure for a bit but it had me at the baby sniper battle thing and never let me go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

E-girls and boys.

Yeah it's this.

[Crosses eyes and sticks out tongue]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Michelangelo was my favorite

Correct

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

"If I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Pirahna II: The Spawning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

Is she? Winslet I mean

She did a Doctor Who audio play last year. She's definitely not A list anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

I think that's just a thing British people are required to do at some point.

Mr Hootington posted:

Every British actor or actress does a who thing. It is required by Uk law.

Helen Mirren in shambles right now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Worthington's a decent actor... when he gets to use to natural accent. Or, at least, he's strong in Somersault and Love My Way, and they're both pre Hollywood.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

He was good in Under the Banner of Heaven. That’s all I can think of.

Oh yeah, that was a solid US production with him. I'd forgotten about that, and also the season of Manhunt he was in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Wait a minute. Wait one minute. The town in Footloose is a super small, super rural, super religious town. But their high school has a men’s gymnastics team?

Sublimated desire (for dance)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Drive-Away Dolls was pretty good, though my audience seemed incapable of laughing. Very light and silly, but there's stuff there I'm not equipped to unpack (90's Democrats loving each other with Republican cocks?. Also the cuts to the statues, which completely went over my head (heh).

Didn't vibe with some of the scene transitions tbh.

Best joke is the title card reveal at the end, though I'm guessing it's gonna result in a lot of semantic arguments about the film.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 24, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I know Villeneuve is a visuals guy, so his point comes across a bit extreme, but I think there have been plenty of examples in the last 10-15 years of the TV-ification of filmmaking (see: Disney/MCU)

My mate likes this because it means he can get up and go to the kitchen, make himself a snack and come back, sit down, browse the web for five minutes and keep the movie going the entire time he does all of this.

I think this is poo poo! But I suspect that's part of the impetus behind the mountains and mountains of verbal exposition these things have.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There was a world film premier in Sydney this week (because Mardi Gras, I guess?) and I thought it would be pretty awesome to go because they were doing a Q&A after and I've never really had the opportunity to see one of those or even see a world premier. Train broke down so I literally ran a suburb and a half to make it on time but I dunno why I bothered because the film loving s u c k e d. Awful subtitles, and a tendency to belabour its metaphors into the loving ground. Rosé is the drink of self confidence! My marriage is on the rocks because my husband only takes me on two cruises a year! (this is the exact opposite of what I suspect is true about cruises tbh.)

Moral? I dunno, Blue Lights sucks out of space.

Honestly, I should have just stayed at the Optus networking event that I accidentally talked my way into because I got confused about where I was meant to be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

It's based on a stage play, Villeneuve specifically said dialog was for tv shows and plays.

Yeah, but surely there are plenty of other scripts with a lot of great dialogue. e.g. Double Indemnity. Or does that not count because it's based on a prose serial?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching a movie that turned out to have both Carrie Fisher and Robert Picardo in it. All the stars are here!

Oh poo poo, bone arms swords person is in this too!?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coyote vs ACME type beat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, IIRC that was a blind item on Deuxmoi

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Saw the new Vim Vendor's film. Pretty good. Made me feel things.

I choose to believe he was growing pot in that purple grow house that was slowly overtaking his upstairs.

Would make a good double feature with Pulse, assuming you can stand long rear end quiet rear end films.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m assuming you mean Cure?

Yeah, Perfect Days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

He's the rear end in a top hat central figure in Bad Sisters, my GOD he is hateable

I think what's so great about that character and performance is that beyond being very, very hateful, he's also just incredibly pitiful. Bang tends to get cast as strong and cruel men, but the longer you watch him the clearer it is that his macho aggression is just calcified protection for a very sad little kid who's absolutely terrified of being properly seen by another human being. But, you know, not in a remotely sympathetic way.

He's a great actor, yeah. I thought Bad Sisters was a bit overlong, but in the end I really appreciated watching it and I'm keen to see what they cook up for the next season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I went to see End of Eva as part of the “theatrical” showing yesterday but I’m pretty sure my theater hosed it up somehow because they moved screens, started 5 minutes late, didn’t show any trailers or the usual that comes with a Gkids showing, and most damning, streamed it off Netflix. Nothing kills the mood of The End of Evangelion like seeing Asuka say “disgusting” and then immediately popping up “Recommended for you: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”

Gold.

That sucks for you, but that's gold.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

They call it Curvature because when you see it you curve 360 degrees around and walk away!

hmmm

So you're saying it's good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Love Lies Bleeding is wild. Had a lot of fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

There are no friends in this movie.

Hey now, those two homiphobic guys seemed like they got along pretty well. And I doubt van guy has ever met somebody he didn't love.

I was surprised by how true this what you say was of the film generally. Like, my god, I wasn't prepared for it to turn into such a black comedy about lovely people taking lumps out of each other, sometimes literally. I thought I was signing up for a thriller I caught Coens meets Cronenberg. Coenberg.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're all hot, they're film stars.

This thread is getting very goony.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's just insanity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

I like Finn Wolfhard well enough he's actually pretty okay but I remember getting a real off feeling when there was an interview with him as a child and he kept referring to his ethnic makeup as his 'blood'. Like 'I pretty much had German blood. But my blood is also a little bit Italian. But from the north of Italy I think so similar blood. Yeah it's mixed blood but mostly German blood. Blood.' This wasn't just a one-off he left it and then came back to it as a non-sequitur a minute later.

I won't give him a hard time for it I read some weird websites when I was a kid myself but it was just weird.

Isn't it just an idiom associated with heritage? He probably picked it up from his parents.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still maintain that was a misguided promotional tactic from WB

I suspect this is part of it, though I think it's also one of those ideas that becomes self-perpetuating because it excited a lot of people's brains.

For whatever reason, productions involving the live action Joker always cultivated a very strong edgy energy around the character, perhaps as a ghoulish afterimage of what happened with Heath Ledger on The Dark Knight (though IIRC he actually killed himself partway through production on The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus).

You've also got Jared Leto's on set antics, which have the energy of a backfiring PR stunt as much as anything else.

Edit: And a lot of what I said was already covered by this fast, fast thread.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just got out of Monkey Man and had a rad loving time. Did not expect trans commune vigilante gang, but that loving rocked too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

The fight scene choreography must have been insane to rehearse. You're ballet dirty fighting with someone who isn't there to have something to work off of. It'd be like figure skating pairs having to do their skate seperately at different rinks and then the judges judge based on how the performances are mercedes on screen.

I assume they pasted Nyong'o's face on a stunt double when they just couldn't fake it with a stuntie and some clever angles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved Baby Driver. (Not seen Last Night In Soho tho.) Thought BD was fun and clever and had good editing and chases and stuff. Pretty much all I wanted from it I got.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't believe so but there is a similarly OK Boomer moment with a groaner placement of Roxanne

I thought this, but I also this is absolutely the kind of poo poo they play in Indian clubs. I'm surprised the Pirates of the Caribbean theme didn't feature.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care if it's bad, I just hope it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke mighta been made but they literally just made a movie about Dracula on the boat. That comes up so much because there's a whole sequence in the original novel that's pretty much Alien but with Dracula and way before Alien, and in journal form since that's the whole thing of the novel.

Yeah, there was also an episode of Steven Moffat's Dracula that did the exact same thing, maybe a year or two before that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it, I'm surprised there isn't more prototypical horror fiction in that form, since a ship's log, where every notable event is meant to be recorded, would lend itself naturally to epistolary horror.

Far far too many games just do this.