Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don Quixote is a funny one given there's emphasis on the ridiculousness and cruelty of how people go out of their way to take advantage of his madness and set up ridiculously elaborate pranks just for their own entertainment, like the time they make him the governor of a town and he actually does a better job than the usual authorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Life Aquatic is also pretty much about that. If anything I feel like the idea of all-consuming obsession being utterly ruinous to everyone involved is possibly the more popular archetype, though so much of it tends to be inspired by Moby-Dick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

I loved Gattaca but after a decade I started thinking hey this guy with a heart condition that could die at any time lied his way into a year long space mission where he could jeopardize the whole thing by dying, all so he could feel better about himself

I always got the impression that the future society wildly overestimates literally any kind of health risk from people who aren't genetically engineered designer babies, probably thanks to some heavy marketing from the companies providing them, similar to Nestle demonising breastfeeding and causing shitloads of infants to starve. There's no actual indication that the genetically engineered people are significantly or reliably superior to the naturally conceived, even without the whole bit with playing swimming chicken in the ocean. Like, the woman at the space agency is genuinely shocked that the protagonist is even still alive at his age despite being perfectly healthy and having zero signs of heart problems.

It's very interesting from a disability rights angle, as it seems like a world where birth defects, and likely conditions like autism and ADHD, have been entirely eradicated in most of the population, hasn't actually solved many meaningful problems, and if anything the athlete willing to give up his life to let a free-born have a shot seems bitter about how the society has zero regard for the disabled since there's no one disabled from birth anymore, once your body has problems society has no room for you even moreso than real life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

null_pointer posted:

Doesn't the doctor at the end who lets him onto the ship even say something like "my son isn't everything they promised he would be"? The movie really seems to be trying to drive home the point that the perfection of the genetically engineered has been way oversold, whereas the inferiority of the natural born is also egregiously overstated.

There overall does seem to be a theme that the genetic perfection of humanity is pretty anticlimactic. There's no Star Trek supermen or psychics, just people with slightly less chronic health issues maybe.

null_pointer posted:

God drat my memory is poo poo :smith:

No, I'm pretty sure you had it right? I wonder if it was meant to be an implication there's an upcoming backlash against the ubiquitous genetic engineering because, as said, it's turning out to be wildly overselling the results and causing problems for no good reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jenny Agutter posted:

There is that twelve fingered pianist tho

Indeed, but I think the point is it's a cute gimmick no one seems particularly impressed by, especially in a society that's become even less tolerant of physical difference.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Truspeaker posted:

I always liked how well Christopher Eccleson switched between goofy and serious in Doctor Who, though he had a lot more haunted/traumatized bits than sinister ones.

The Doctor is a fun character done right, he's supposed to be a slightly sinister total weirdo who doesn't seem quite human, and even the other two hearted time traveling aliens think he's a weirdo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

The Irishman does that, basically

MacArthur in The Battle of Lake Chongqing is legendary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

And they made pre-war British life look pretty unpleasant to start with. Everybody was mean and tired before the bombs even dropped.

That's just Britain, yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always find it funny and a bit charming when franchises incorporate references and elements from adaptations, especially poorly received and downright terrible ones, both acknowledging that it's still part of the history and even making use of interesting concepts and ideas from them. For all the comparisons either way, the animated Mario movie clearly takes inspiration from the 1993 one, complete with some clearly specific references to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

I had the novelisation of the bob hoskins Super Mario Bros movie I found at a second hand bookshop once, but I lost it long ago

I don't think I ever actually read it I think I just got it because that's a funny tchotchke

I found it in the high school library, it stood out since it has a gold shiny cover, and read it when I was both curious and really bored. I think it's a pretty straightforward recounting of the movie, or at least the script at some stage, since I know the movie's production was an insane mess.

I never actually got around to watching The Phantom Menace, I read the novelisation instead, which is a pretty big book and includes I think some cut scenes from the movie, like starting out with Anakin on an errand outside of the city where he finds a wounded Tusken and gives him some medical treatment, and later on the rest of the Tuskens find him and help Anakin get home. Feels like a poignant bit given what happens later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Having never read the forum rules before, I sympathize but it's hilarious that ya'll had to codify that people shouldn't be posting that they jacked off to a movie they just watched. The poor soul(s?) who just needed to shout it from the mountain that they got off to the Dark Knight, RIP.

Like if it was Rises I get it given I'm pretty sure it has a LOT more Christian Bale running around yoked with his shirt off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got around to seeing M3gan, which was entertaining but could have stood to be weirder and meaner. Feels like they chickened out from making a full-throated "parenting sucks, especially when you never asked for it" movie.

It should totally be the second sequel to S1mone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random rear end note, the throwaway joke in the Barbie movie that NSYNC actually consists entirely of escaped third-string dolls seems out of nowhere but it's probably a reference to one of their most famous music videos being specifically about the band as dolls escaping a toy store.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lol and there comes the other argument that all movies are slop and the people 'analysing' and 'discussing' them are just making poo poo up and pretending the movies are good to look cool or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Seriously tho I don't think I've seen a single Snyder fan on these forums praise the random one-off world-building elements of Army of the Dead over like, the acting of Bautista, the character interactions between him and his daughter, etc

Not denying there are people who do that but I would advise against engaging with those people unless you're doing it to feel superior, which hey I admit, you are superior to those bone heads

I haven't seen it because I don't like zombie movies but I love the UFOs at the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

That sentient block of meat is also the world's greatest detective and scientist.

So he's basically hobo Batman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gatts posted:

I would like to see Tom Cruise Reacher meet TV Reacher and get on his shoulders to become Mega Reacher.

MechaShiva! MechaShiva!

I've only read one Jack Reacher novel, one about where he helps a battered wife escape from her racist husband and exposes how they've been murdering border crossing immigrants for shits and giggles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about shonen anime is that it all makes sense when you realise it's using all the same presentation devices as pro wrestling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just reminded of how reviewing Easy A in university probably hit different especially for someone just out of high school and being amazed to be at a place people actually wanted to be in.

I wish I'd caught the Daria finale, we needed more 'high school is an absurd pointless hell that everyone's glad to be done with and nothing you do matters as long as you graduate and aren't convicted of murder' messages rather than the idea it's the only part of your life that matters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just a regular day in France. Whimsical chase music is piped into all public places regularly in case a wacky pedophilic chase is happening (Which according to the French National Institute of Wacky Chases is on average three times per day)

From everything I know about France that tracks. Actually probably on the low end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

and lastly, even tho i didn't/won't see it, the flash/keaton batman movie gets torn apart by all the movie youtubers i watch, but i kinda dig the idea of how they treat the shared universe concept at the end where there's big "globes" or whatever that have all the different universes where different actors play superman and the ones that never actually got movies like nic cage. maybe in practice it was way more ridiculous and bad but in theory i think that's at least an interesting way to handle it.

No Way Home did it first, and better, is the issue, and Flash was blatantly ripping it off after already butchering the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I'm not saying no one cares, I'm saying it's fake. They made it up. There was no actual show, just an artificially created nostalgia for a show that never existed.

The show existed and it's just weird enough not to be fake. It's basically an isekai and there's a dude literally called the Dungeon Master.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So many self-inflicted wounds by WB because they bought into completely fake criticisms. It's the dumbest poo poo since D&D 5e.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

My favorite collective theater "Oh come ON!" was the ending of Inception. Every single person in the audience let out the biggest groan when it cut to black, and then a second later half of us started laugh.

I'm pretty sure that was the entirely intended response. The whole movie is basically a setup for that punchline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

It's been a while since I last watched it but iirc there's some stuff going on with Tom Cruise's character wanting to think he's the protagonist of reality and part of his bad-dad act is how 'do as I say, not as I do' he is to irritating teen son. So having him have die at the end would risk suggesting that Cruise-dad was right and they all should have stayed safe under his paternal wing or w/e.

Yeah, pretty much the gist is taking apart the idea of the white male patriarch as the hero of the story, seeing his family fully reunited without him. It's a pretty good extension of the whole themes of the story- humanity doesn't repel the invaders with a cunning plan or heroic deeds, they're undone by their own ignorance and incompetence despite their technological advantage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like quite a lot of old sci-fi stories kinda struggle with the idea of an arc besides 'a bunch of stuff just happens that the writers thought was cool, possibly while high'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I will admit I only know Barbarella as it's referenced as a shared coma dream in Venture Bros, mashed up with Empire Strikes Back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wonka was fun, though definitely one of those movies that plays things by the numbers enough there's not much to really say about it. That said, given the last couple Hollywood musicals I've seen it's impressive enough they managed not to gently caress it up completely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JazzFlight posted:

I was also pleasantly surprised by Wonka. I think the trailers really undersold it by not including any snippets of the songs. If anything, it got me into listening to the discography of the guy who did the music, Neil Hannon.

Yeah, people say it seems to be another musical-ashamed-of-being-a-musical and maybe marketing thought so, but IMO they managed to not gently caress it up. Pretty clearly referencing the Gene Wilder movie to the point of using it as a structural template, but really, that's hardly a bad idea.

Although on some thought a lot of the injokes do seem to serve a purpose. Playing young Wonka as a wide-eyed manic pixie dream boy seems... pretty on brand, really, yet to be tempered by the cynicism that he has as an old man. He learns a lot, and not just how to read, that he often has to lie, be deceptive and flout the authorities to survive. And he also learns from his enemies as well as his allies- note the fine-print trick that's key to that specific movie adaptation, this is where he learned it. He also learned, the hard way, he needs to keep his production process secure, as given the ingredients and effects he works with, even small sabotage can be catastrophic.

The Dune jokes are almost too easy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

Wonka is pretty good. They made him illiterate for some reason which is kinda weird. Also he makes a chocolate which cures low self-esteem which is the most unrealistic thing in a wildly fantastical movie

Kinda funny that, though it is the kind of vaguely old timey setting where literacy wouldn't necessarily be universal, and his whole thing is being hyper fixated. That said, I wondered why the chocolate bar his mother made for him had writing on it when he couldn't read... Then I realised she probably intended to start teaching him to read shortly after, but that's right when she got sick and died. And he'd basically been raising himself since then.

Though missed opportunity for a song about him learning the alphabet with chocolate related terms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Rowan Atkinson the corrupt bishop was great.

While a bit of a stretch, there's some fun takes on how the movie's villains are thematically similar to the bratty kids of the original story and movies. Slugworth, the leader of the cartel, is the most successful of them all and smug, superior and hyper-competitive, like Violet Bueregarde (the 2005 version anyway). Prodnose is Mike Teevee, explaining the obvious, and Fickelgruber is Veruca Salt, a rich entitled twit convinced of his own superiority. And the chocolate-addicted corrupt police chief who becomes morbidly obese is clearly Augustus Gloop. As well as a fun injoke for audiences it's probably a good way to make a prequel that feels thematically consistent, disguising the same formula by taking the same archetypes but slotting them in different roles.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 1, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

therattle posted:

Those are all good, thoughtful analyses of Wonka. But none get over the central flaw of the film: a highly-punchable lead.

True, they shoulda leaned into that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm fairly certain Jackie Chan was a not insignificant influence on Jackass.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Traditionally, January and February was a dumping ground for studios to toss stuff they didn't care about or have faith in. It's right after the holiday/Oscar release season but before spring and summer blockbuster time. Theater attendance is usually down because of the cold, and when people do go, they're usually catching up on last months releases.

This is becoming less and less true as blockbusters creep into all parts of the year, and digital releases become more of a thing but you're still likely to see a higher concentration of garbage in the first two months of the year.

I think it also might be a bunch of movies like Sonic that aimed for a Christmas release but got delayed ended up releasing then and did great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also another note on Wonka; the other boarding house prisoners are also kinda counterparts to the kids in the original story, with Noodle being a mix of Charlie and the older Wonka's cynicism.

And it seems like a fairly easy way to give an original story thematic connections, but it's still really not a bad one. It makes sure there's some common themes and throughlines, and lots of references to that and other Dahl works that fairly well understand what they're about.

trevorreznik posted:

I think Hollywood outsmarts itself with release dates and eventually a popular movie gets a "bad" date and does just fine. I had to check but it looks like August didn't really have a big movie until 2001's Rush Hour 2, which honestly seems like a weird release date for that after the first one's success.

Yeah, there's a lot of superstition and 'known' information with Hollywood suits that doesn't really have any basis in reality anymore, if it ever did.

I think they also got in the habit of releasing late in the year trying to angle for Oscars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh absolutely, most bad movies would be made so much better if they were just like 80% stupider and ridiculous. Most of the time it's just boring. That's why I loved how ridiculous The Beekeeper got.
Punisher War Zone is just so much fun.

The worst thing about 00s and 10s trash movies is how dull, self-serious and washed-out they got, even the more ridiculous ones are just full of mean-spirited 'humour' and misanthropy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tech bros are one of those excellent villain archetypes of the new millennium, everyone hates them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh hey, Madame Web is out here. I can't find the comic book movie thread though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shredder has pretty much always been depicted as an ambitious, aggressive egomaniac and petty violent manchild who demands to be respected and feared, it's really not that surprising he'd come up with that name. Deep down he's really not that different from the turtles, in all the worst ways. Funny thing is this is the same even in the version where he's secretly one of the alien squid head guys, where he's literally a goofy cartoon villain who's scared of his mother finding out he's a supervillain, and the one where he can fight Batman one on one and win.

Srice posted:

A lot of the movie reminded me of the newer Hitman games and that moment absolutely sealed it.

Shameless airport thriller stuff with an effort to have villains you love to hate and heroes who are just mysterious enough to be interesting? I can dig it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nepotism isn't so much the problem itself as the symptom of a problem (i.e. that it's increasingly impossible to get your foot in the door unless you have enough money that you can afford to be unemployed or working low-paid jobs for long periods of time.) Which is a problem with modern capitalism in general but also the arts in specific, etc. I don't begrudge any of the individuals their success.

Dakota Johnson I kinda like because I'm one of a handful of people who watched the six-week-or-so run of Ben and Kate, a fun little sitcom where she was cute and funny and held her own alongside Nat Faxon and Lucy Punch. Also the Suspiria remake was good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What I don't understand is why Hollywood wants to put Australians in movies so bad

I wonder if there's some relation there; Australia doesn't really have a Hollywood, and has just enough of a low budget entertainment industry to have a steady pipeline of actors; see how many of them get their start on Home and Away and/or Neighbours. You can only get so many remotely competent nepo babies out of the local pipeline, but Australia provides plenty of presentable white English speaking actors with a reasonable resume who can pass for American or British with some voice coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The girl turtle was only in the live-action show that everyone's done their best to memory hole, though it did get a crossover with Power Rangers In Space.

TMNT is like Transformers in that it never actually stopped, there's almost always been some incarnation of it running nonstop since the 90s, and they all do things a bit differently and shuffle around the character relationships, some shows mix things up more than others in different ways.