Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
nice job on the second line batiuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

Away, I think.
specifically, at their absolutely mundane lives.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

nah it stands for poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Oh man, we're straight back into something - Phantom is recapping the start of the 1953 storyline 'The Chain'. The scans online suck, but this page has what's probably all the pertinent information.

an ignoramus:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

god bless boyce and his very public callout of a woman who just wanted a quiet birthday.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i really appreciate how the inquisitor design calls back to the 1980 movie's klytus with the mask and chest piece

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Are they just recapping a really old story like it was a dream?
Yes

Ghostlight posted:

Oh man, we're straight back into something - Phantom is recapping the start of the 1953 storyline 'The Chain'. The scans online suck, but this page has what's probably all the pertinent information.

an ignoramus:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah as a computer janitor I'd rather deal with a dozen callouts for an unplugged computer than a single "real" problem where I have to trace a generic error message back through six different Microsoft services only to find out the issue is that one of them is following a different XML standard which makes its output completely incompatible with the only clue being an eight-year-old post that a Microsoft rep marked as "solved" because it was a known issue that they didn't intend to fix.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bruceski posted:

That's called "power cycling". They claim it's because it's a broader term to include rebooting things remotely, but I think it's so less people yell at them when they suggest it.
it's also just a fun way to make it sound like you're actually doing something substantive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i appreciate that it wouldn't matter to him that hunting wild horses was made illegal under nixon and that federal funding for safety inspections of meat from raised horses was severed under bush jr.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

she knows he'll gently caress snowliz

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i think it's more just that the woman is clearly in the midst of a crisis and struggling to accomplish anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why would...why would anyone discourage bird migration?
well they did pre-emptively genocide humanity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

but james you haven't tried crying in it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

poor guy must be exhausted to be sleeping in the middle of the day

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:actually: if you want to get incredibly pedantically technical, Frankenstein is the monster's surname. Adam Frankenstein.
:actually: the creature never has a name. he says he ought to be "thy adam" not to name himself but to identify himself as a created being abandoned by his god before even being given so little as a name.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kammat posted:

Hold up. Did our temp artist forget the drat sunglasses?
phantom just got finished referencing a seventy year old story, ain't no way they're letting anybody gently caress up details on a strip that is only one and a half years old.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
please post more of your fitty year old man thoughts on taylor swift and ai

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Tragic. What did Lee Falk have on everyone to push this guy so much? Were the first few years of the Phantom red-hot? And I wonder if he has a different market overseas, like how Disney comics and Donald Duck(and his superhero identities most Americans couldn't name) are bigger in Europe.
I'm not vibing with the current artist on Phantom, but I quite enjoyed the story of the last arc - now, it did drag quite a bit because of pacing and the repetition inherent in the story, but overall I thought it was an interesting attempt to explore the character beyond what a villain of the year adventure would do. DePaul doesn't just know but is very interested in both Phantom and Falk and he's a bit pretentious so he's always trying to do something with the property - whether it's rehabilitating a story virtually nobody would know of that's behind a small piece of background lore, or writing a strip where Falk appears in Phantom (as he is wont to do) ruminating over where he, as both himself and the writer's stand-in, is taking the story. I like that when he references something weird or out of place, I know that I can almost certainly dig up an old Phantom comic it's from, because I think DePaul sees part of the Phantom being trapped in the 21st incarnation is this ongoing dialogue with 90 years of continuity, and I enjoy that aspect of communal story-telling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Sure is gonna be fun watching this woman get browbeaten into submission over the next 9 months. Of course you want kids, Toni! A woman who doesn't want kids is unnatural!
thank you for making tj the 'life begins at conception' viewpoint gregory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

well, you see, a building with its shutters set up to spell out "tallulah shot steve" is admissible in court as evidence

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ah but you see yesterday's strip said "sometime later", so this is clearly taking place between panels 1 & 2 of yesterday's comic. verdict: no plot hole :smuggo:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

oh man i'd totally forgotten about sneaking spoons of dry chocolate powder. what a memory unlock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i appreciate bok letting the others know it's not murder after he caves in a dude's chest with the pointy end of a shield

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Alright.The name of the place, "juottola" can have two different meanings.

"Juottaa" means "to make drink" or "to solder", and "juottola" is either "a place where people give you drinks" or "a place where you solder things". So naturally the boys were expecting a high class night club for some heavy drinking.

I have no idea why soldering is called the same as making someone drink, but my guess is that it derives from the idea that you're kinda making the soldered component drink some solder. That would make sense, but knowing Finnish it's probably some "oh they both derive from an ancient proto-Swedish word that meant 'have a nice Sunday'" thing.
soldering itself means "making solid", referring to the metal hardening in place and form, so my guess is the finnish is coming at it from the opposite direction with a root of "making fluid" referring to the act of melting the metal in the first place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's also explicitly post-Atlantean golden age so the setting has a huge get-out-of-jail-free card for oddities.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

the romans live like thousands of years in the future for conan. the timescale on the hyborian age is huge - it's supposed to begin in ~100,000bce with the fall of atlantis and the kull stories, and end somewhere around 2,000bce as the indo-iranian peoples emerge in archaeological history.

that ancient roman water heater is further away from conan than we are to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it's literally only available via subscription service from the right-wing crowd-funding site that was set up after sargon of akkad got banned from patreon for hate speech. nobody reads dilbert these days.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"really it wasn't even his neck, it was the neck of the man it was wearing"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i think he said something in one comic about wanting to burn off the john x identity or at least stop the captain suspecting john x was the unseen commander

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i think the largest factor is that yes, batman/x-men are held by much larger companies who probably regularly tolerate fanworks because comics as an industry has a long history of fan-artists becoming in-house artists as their career progresses, whereas conan is explicitly held by a company whose entire business is rent-seeking on works trading on the conan copyright with a history of using the incredibly busted length of united states copyright to legally threaten people in countries where the copyright has long since expired.

a john allison batman or x-men comic doesn't compete with batman or x-men in the marketplace of batman/x-men comics, but a john allison conan comic directly competes with conan holdings llc in the marketplace of you can't use conan without paying me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

eventually every atom on earth will be jesus

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh right, now i remember why I had a feeling of worry about this topic beyond the obvious danger to the person its happening to.

regressive states are pushing for removing ectopic pregnancies to be classified as abortion
i think you're mistaken there - removing ectopic pregnancies is already classified as an abortion because an abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. even a miscarriage is medically a "spontaneous abortion". that's why relying on exclusions "when the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother" are so dangerous - because it means these sorts of pregnancies have to continue in situ until they are inevitably and actually threatening the mother's life rather than being done earlier when they aren't.
what the regressive states are trying to do is reclassify these medical procedures as not abortions so that these kinds of medical procedures can't be used as pressure to undo the blanket abortion bans that are preventing doctors from performing them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i don't know how holbrook does it every time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

wait, if it only lives in clean still waters how it would have followed her from the sewer and why would it have followed her using the smell of a sewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

me thirty minutes after getting home from work every day