Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Filling that glass right to the brim, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I strongly feel posters of old strips should continue to just spoiler the strips where racial caricatures feature. It'd be hard to follow along if strips didn't get posted because a railway porter was in a panel's foreground.

mycatscrimes posted:

Gunk was a wacky foreigner but he's also a little white blond kid without any racially othering features.

You seem to have forgotten Gunk's main feature, which is that his eyes were stacked horizontally in the middle of his face. Which thankfully doesn't line up with any hurtful stereotypes, but he wasn't just some generic white kid.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

School-shooting funnies.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, yeah. I have Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce fatigue. Everything about their relationship feels very Lonesome Rhodes to me, and I'm sick of seeing it everywhere.

I don't think the cartoon is making any comment on Swift. The reference works with any extremely famous singer. The joke is the cartoonist whistfully imagining a world where another art-form than singing is so rewarded. Like maybe cartooning maybe.
Though to be honest, 60 years ago Lil' Abner was so successful it got Al Capp on the cover of Time Magazine and an acquaintance with the president of the United States. Cartoonists! You've had your lot!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pylon Pete is incredibly ugly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The current Phantom run is so odd that I went back and read it all. Blevin's art is such a step backwards from Weigels. His anatomy is rushed and everyone is wearing a poorly-drawn ingratiating smirk. I don't think this is the result of an AI, but a competent hand doing a bad job to match the pay. I think training an robot to churn out panels is probably beyond King Syndicate's abilities or budget. The plot is confusing and boring, which makes sense because the action is the Phantom recounting a dream he had. It's very hard to keep track of what is dream and what is not, and the story's pacing is so jumpy it's really hard to care. I wasn't following the strip closely before, so I can't really say if the writing has taken as bad a tumble as the art. I think last year at least the dream had some action, rather than just being weird symbolism.
ALSO, if I were making Phantom strips in 2024, I would probably stay away from a shady man in a turban leching after a white woman.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

so is this really just the Phantom making GBS threads on some old Phantom story

Is that what's happening? Is "the Phantom dreamt there was a chain around his throne" a classic Phantom story?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

apparently so

loving lol @ the Chroniclers of Mozz pretending they have a right to talk

Huh! Well, I guess if you've been drawing Phantom comics on and off for years, you could lose touch on how much the average reader knows and is interested in old storylines. Maybe there's an intended audience out there and this commentary is really landing with them, but I don't get it at all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Angular Cyrus posted:

The Phantom: The Mysterious Chain

Thanks for digging this up! This makes the current run a bit clearer, though I still have questions as to why.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/1-3/43

Try to imagine what that would look like. Especially Scarlett darting her hand in to set the roulette ball down in a specific bracket.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

Archie 7/7-9/49

I so liked this panel I crudely isolated the archface from it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Black Feather posted:

It would still be only one stomach, though, right?

ba

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mary Worth has a hosed sense of who gets narrative sympathy, so I imagine we're expected to be rooting for this guy as he eventually works out to love his not-daughter or whatever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Black Feather posted:

Why is there a human kid in hellworld, anyway?

There was a trans-dimensional portal iirc.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

davidspackage posted:

lol, that tiny last panel wasn't necessary, but makes it very cute.

It's so utterly unnecessary that I wonder if it's a throwaway panel because some newspaper were giving Nancy a little more room than others. I know they are common on sunday strips, but I never heard of any conditions for a daily.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

riderchop posted:

Overboard
]

Overboard is hentai now, update your charts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

So what does frying rice mean in a romance context?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ah, yes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

The first Lucy "Psychiatric Help" strip was published in March of 1959. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. $0.05 then would be worth only $0.54 in 2024.

Dustin is actually making a very cutting point about how vendors use inflation to justify hiking the price up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Oh my gosh.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Is Mark Trail one of those situations where the cartoonist is having a stroke or is just so old they’re having a problem drawing basic pictures? Because drat, that punch.

Mark Trail's one of those strips that got a fresh artist recently. The old one got sacked for... I think it was getting into public fights with fans? I genuinely don't remember. And they replaced him with a former webcomicer. I think she just isn't handling the schedule of a daily too well.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

Archie 12/19-21/49

My heart is so soft that I feel bad for this one-shot character. Give that giantess a chance to live her dreams Archie, you jerk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

James Allen's departure from Mark Trail was most likely due to his using the official Mark Trail Twitter account to insult Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, although the syndicate didn't actually come out and say so. Although even before then he'd been showing way too much dependence on traced art, plus an inability to pace a story.

I was thinking of that, but I couldn't remember enough of the details so I went with the fights with the fanbase. Which was a pretty funny story, he gave the villain of the story the same name as a poster from here, then pushed him off a cliff-top. RIP, goon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think that's how hands work, anyway

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Andertoons

I relate strongly to the Andertoons. And that's a fun image in the phantom. A JCB stranded in the jungle.

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

drat that's a fine elephant. (And a very symmetrical shark.)

You don't know he's friendly, he's just smiling.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Young plugger is upsetting me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

Archie 1/19-21/50

I paused to think how this prank would work for long enough that I figured it would actually end in the three bullies breaking through the ice. Maybe that's the real prank pulled by Archie comics on bullies reading it for inspiration.
e: also, Jughead has teamed up with [Archie's rival whose name I don't know]. Guess Jughead can appreciate a good prank on Archie as well as anyone.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

This is just legitimately creepy and something I’d expect some eboniphile (?) to defend.

Maybe it’s normal in England though meh

I'm not quite sure how you connected this to eboniphilia, which is apparently a sexual preference to 15-19 year olds. Getting a realistic tattoo of someone is a symbol of familial pride and affection, of questionable taste and class. Who's turned on by that?

e: the 15-19 year olds is ephebophilia, which is what my search engine guessed you meant. Maybe it guessed wrong and you meant something else.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 8, 2024

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

someone awful. posted:

a bunch of people declared that they love Rose is Rose, actually, and that we're a bunch of cynical killjoys

I do not believe this for a moment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Retail
Popcom

I love this profile of not-Stalin, but I loved it more when I noticed he was saying he wouldn't be caught napping.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

In the original the phrase used was "poistuvia tuotteita", which literally means "products that are leaving" or "products that leave". But I think this works too. Kinda.

"ALL MUST GO" is idiomatic English and works for the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

In case this is unclear, traditionally pubs had a more space-efficient throng of customers across the bar, where order was mostly enforced by the barstaff checking faces, along with a system of customer's nodding at people who have been waiting longer than they have. This form of politeness is being forgotten in favour of a vertical queue, where it is more obvious to everyone that the person waiting longest gets served first. I have seen a few signs put out by bar staff saying "don't queue at our bar", because it is pretty awkward in most pubs to have a line of people cutting through the room.