Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (Gene Ahern) is slowly but surely expanding the supporting cast. Did you know the Major had a brother? And if anything, he's a bigger mooch than the Major. A reverse Mycroft Holmes. (January 23-25, 1925)

...Your what, Bert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

maybeadracula posted:

Training AI on Computoon should lead to some genuinely fascinating and meta results

I'm more worried about Brooke McEldowney. Imagine the gamacious maw of the hellbeast an AI trained on that would unleash

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

:perfect:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

amigolupus posted:

Didn't the Director mention something about creating a miracle for the last match? Maybe he plans to have Planck pitch against Copper Ma and Planck would use the ~Ultimate Technique~ they talked about, of beaning someone directly at the head.

Are we sure he forsook Maggie and he's not just planning to throw the match at the last second? Because when May decided to just sit in the stands rather than drag Maggie directly to the Demons' area so she can talk to Planch, I groaned and thought May beefed it right when she was almost at the finish line. :v:

Planck drops the last out, letting the winning run score, because he sees Maggie stand up out of the corner of his eye

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

goatface posted:

Planck will pitch his arm right off in order to curve a ball like no ball has ever been curved.

I mean, when the man's arm comes off with the ball, you're not going to get ANY distance if you make contact

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Hel posted:

So I know the US is a lawless wasteland, but isn't this still a DUI? I thought the thing with a learners permit is that you still have someone next to you as the "normal" driver who's responsible.

Also, depending on the state, he'd be violating open container laws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-container_law This guy really is a poo poo lawyer

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

csammis posted:

Is this a translation error or a source error or something in the last panel? If Planck Oh's playing first base and Hardy Choi throws home how did Planck get the opportunity to make an error? :confused: I'm not a great baseball-knowing guy but I'm fairly sure the "right" play would be 2B / shortstop, whichever Hardy is, to 1B for the out.

May be a translation error, but I'm thinking 'send it home' as in on target.

Also, runners 1st & 2nd, 2 out? If fielding the ball has the SS drifting towards second, you flip it there for the shorter throw and the force for out #3. If your momentum's bringing you away from the bag, you set your feet and go for the easy out at first - batter has to finish his swing before he can start running, means the baserunners get an extra step or 2 towards the next base in comparison (IE, 2nd or 3rd is a shorter throw, but since the runner's a good 20 feet further down the line than the batter, 1st is usually still the easier out)

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 5, 2024

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Cat 4 had me a bit worried there

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Ball pops straight up, lands in Planck's glove while he's twitching in the dirt, bleeding for the final out.

DEMONS WIN!!!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I admit I don't know a lot about the rules of baseball- what does him getting cracked right in the brainpan mean for the teams? What happens here, rules-wise?

Live ball, motherfuckers! Runners are now free to advance (if they were standing on the base at the time, otherwise they gotta tag up first)

If it's caught before it hits the ground, it's an out - can't double up the runners if they already tagged, because the rule is from when the defense first touches it, to prevent an outfielder from intentionally juggling a ball while he jogs in to freeze the runners. If it touches the ground, then Copper needs to get to first before someone gets there with the ball to prevent a force out.

If it smacks Planck so goddamn hard that the ball shoots into the dugout - it's a double. Ball needs to go a minimum distance (I'm thinking 180 or 200 feet) for a ricochet into the stands a la Jose Canseco counts as a home run.

Jose - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Angry_Ed posted:

there are some dead ball rules.

-un-fieldable foul ball/foul ball makes contact with the ground
-If a batter is hit by a pitch
-If there's a balk (i.e. pitcher does a motion that implies he's going to pitch but does not)
-Obstructing the runner
-Fair ball hits a runner or umpire before being touched by a fielder
-spectator interference
-umpire calls time out
-An object (or perhaps a bird) intercepts the path of the ball on a pitch.

and a few more, but weirdly enough there isn't a dead ball rule for a fielder getting absolutely cold-cocked by a batted ball, unless an umpire was to call time as a result.

One exception to your list - pretty sure the ball being live / dead on hitting an ump depends on the depth of the fielders.

If the infielders are deeper than the ump, it's a dead ball. If the ump's behind the infielders - live ball, baby. I guess it's not so much if a player touched it as if they would've had a chance to touch it. (Apparently rule 5.05(b)4 )

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im guessing in this case of a player clearly being knocked out, especially one in the base path, time would be called and copper would have been given a double. though if planck is holding on to the ball maybe he's not that out of it?

regardless this would clear the benches in the us

Yeah, this is an unwritten rules type thing. In the infield like this? Runners move up to the next base and stop, so that A: Someone else on the field can't rip the ball out of Planck's cold, dead hands and throw you out by a good 30 feet, and B: to stop the play as soon as possible to let him get some medical attention.

Outfielder knocks himself out against the fence tracking a long fly ball? Runners are off to the races, it's all you think you can get before one of the other outfielders hustles over and gets the ball in.

EDIT:
Just realized I forgot to back up the archduke! The situation as shown, where you can't get the ball out of your first baseman's hands because rigor mortis has set in? Catcher's gonna deck the first guy to get to the plate, and the benches are gonna clear

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2024

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/1-3/76

Winthrop? They're doing a crossover with Trading Places?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

davidspackage posted:

Correction: can't wait for the happy end to Demons where Maggie and Planck are wrapped up in a couple's double-sized straightjacket, laughing in a romantic padded room

Also, the real fun part's coming up - is Copper going to blow the game in return because he can't stand Planck handing the game over on a silver platter?

You know - 'I still haven't beat him, he let me win'?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Do we finally have a replacement for gingerale bear?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Remora's address to the UN, apparently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0DWShK9a-o&t=46s

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 26, 1961)

Er... Foster's not alluding to what I think he is here, is he?

Fake Edit: Huh, didn't there use to be a Chris Hansen / To Catch a Predator smilie?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

The return of the adorable little fuckin' baby flail in the bottom right panel!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The moral: owning Copper Ma is not only right, it is a moral imperative.

Chris Knight's account?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089886/

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

I'll be damned

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Tell me Gil's over the line

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Plastic surgeon did a hell of a job, you can't even see the stitches anymore!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGpfwcJfJv/

EDIT:
And yes, I very much agree with Giant Ethicist

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm just glad the comic ended with Copper Ma being permanently and unequivocally owned while still being completely Copper Ma about it.

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 11, 2024

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If he dies, he dies.

Rex, this is Rene Belluso!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Home Depot is also kind of fun to wander and look at things that make you go, "ooh, I wonder what I could do with one of those".

The answer is almost invariably "nothing, or something once and never again", but it's all in good fun.

How would I injure myself using this poo poo?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 02, 1961)

Knew I saw that pose in panel 6 before!

https://imgur.com/t/beyonces_publicist/g1kKdcf

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/28-30/49

That's what you get for blocking the base.

Archie going full Ty Cobb there

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Do people really get head-to-toe body casts anymore?

It's too bad the next couple strips won't be varying members of the cast walking into Rene's room to point and laugh

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

poo poo, I have the exact same thought as Ed Crankshaft.
That can't mean anything good.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Yep, that is definitely the dead-eyed stare of a man who heard his wife admitting she loves another dude during their loving wedding.

Excellent job by the artist, there

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

That's really an evil little question, that radio station's never gonna have to pay out.
They say Christopher Columbus, you can say you're looking for Leif Erikson.
They say Erikson, you can still say they got it wrong, because who the hell knows the name of the first person over the Bering land bridge?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 02, 1961)

How are they going to tell Arn put blood on the arrow when he snipes some random poor bastard on the outskirts of camp?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeaaah, given how the queen has been played like a fiddle this entire arc so far by the people who clearly have it in for Flash? I give it three in-universe months before anyone realizes he's been hosed over.

Something is clearly wrong with your kid. Take him to the drat doctor.

Not necessarily. I was apparently a colicky little baby, only way they could get me to stop was to get in the car and do laps of our block
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ay%20have%20it.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Alterian posted:

Psh. Thats what dogs are for.

Imagining someone doing a crazy-rear end relationship test, only to get bowled over by their dog seeing the free food on the floor

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Safety Dance posted:

The ability to relax and fall asleep is learned. We all wake up periodically in our sleep. Babies need to learn how to fall back asleep after that, but trust that if they really need a parent, we'll be there. Our son moved into his own room at about 6 months, and for a few months after that, we'd have to go in several times a night and help him fall asleep again (it seems like every month he'd go through a new _n_ month sleep regression...).

Can also be forgotten.

I used to fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, then I read Carlin's bit about sleeping and I'm up until at least 2AM every night.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/176057-people-say-i-m-going-to-sleep-now-as-if-it

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

had to double-check that copyright date because lol how the gently caress do you make this in 2024?

Maybe the cartoonist just got back from Vegas

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I can't believe I'm invested in a fight between 2 imaginary friends, one of whom is a sandwich making bellhop

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

And now this character will become a lawyer entirely through night classes. Is that even possible?

Dustin

[/quote]

Asked and answered, same post.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Julet Esqu posted:

2.88 is what they were going for and the approximately is there so they don't get sued if some pedantic gently caress measures one at 2.86. You're a loving lawyer, dickhead.

Also, 2.88 isn't some oddly precise number, they rounded off 2.875 (2 7/8) to 2 digits.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Josh remains the goddamn worst.

Has to be one of a manager's little pleasures to respond to that with 'Nope! gently caress off', though