Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Happy New Year thread.

Rose is Rose is the funny pages equivalent of "Live Laugh Love" wall art, but there was some discussion late in the 2023 thread of of people wanting to see it again. So I'm posting it until communal favor turns against it once again (I am guessing as soon as The Baby shows up.)

As always: Dustin Burn in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...too bad.

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Keith killed that fake hippie.

Rose is Rose

The Horse cannot actually use chopsticks so he distracts the reader for a panel to eat the rice

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I had no idea there was a mid-90's animated series where Teen Flash had a butt-cut and a hoverboard.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Say what you will about Ziggy, he had one of the best Christmas specials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXY-PM2fgog

This somehow wound up right in the middle of my childhood VHS of animated holiday specials. Every year, I got to experience it over and over again: A jarring tonal shift from the slovenly antics of Garfield and earnest sentimentality of the Peanuts gang into the oddly depressing, ultimately heartfelt story of Ziggy silently muddling his way through a dingy, deeply cynical world at Christmas. (It was recorded from a late 80's airing on Showtime, too, so no merry and bright commercial messages to break up Ziggy's trials and tribulations.)

Speaking of sentimentality and cynicism, Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Awww no happy reunion with Little Pumpkin Seed Girl. But at least Mom made 20 pesos off the deal. (This is a good strip; I'm sorry to hear about Old Mexico's ghost problems.)

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Rose is Rose

Y'know what this thread has been missing for a while? Cul de Sac. Let's fix that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

I'm adding Classic Foxtrot to my lineup, because nobody told me not to. GoComics is currently in 2003:

And in Rose is Rose, I regret to inform you :siren: that drat baby is here :siren:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classic

Rose is Rose

Great character design.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

Goondolences, I lost two cats in the span of about six months last year and it was pretty miserable - even though both of them had only lived with me for a few months before I lost them (One was my grandmother's 17-year-old cat Ella, already in iffy health, that I had to adopt when grandmama entered hospice care. The second was Bella, a 2- or 3-year-old shelter cat I adopted about a month after Ella passed; she turned out to have FELV, a diagnosis that the shelter either didn't test for or didn't inform me of. She only made it to April before it turned terminal.)

Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classix

(Andy's gaming group acronym...almost a problem these days. Also, Amend is still drawing N64-style controllers in 2003. We've moved on, Bill! Dual sticks are the norm by now!)

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

The manhole cover is an important supporting character.

Foxtrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Pluggers die in a wildfire.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

DRAW A DIFFERENT FACE! DRAW ANYTHING OTHER THAN "CONTEMPTIBLE SMUGNESS"!

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix doesn't run on Sundays, because that's when Modern FoxTrot runs!

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
tfw you see a bad comic

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CannonFodder posted:

For the one on the right:
"The Life Aquatic is not a documentary"

Same joke, change it to The Shape of Water

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Give us Barrabas, crucify Jughead"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Y'know, Rose and Husband seem to kiss a lot, but it always feels oddly chaste. They're not holding a candle to A&J in this "This person LOVES their spouse!" category - no other comic characters can - but still, there's a hollowness there.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Only 90's Kids are entirely familiar with Paul Harvey from the running gag on Freakazoid. "There's a thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbtack under my fanny!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gnoman posted:

That's probably what they're going for, but the Luann writers are pretty incompetent at getting things across.

They consistently nail getting one thing across: that Gunther is a boring, dorky, drip of a person. Just a simpering little teardrop and runny nose of a man.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

I just had a box of Rice Krispies for the first time in ages. Every time I poured milk into the bowl, my cat would get VERY concerned about the snapping, the crackling and the popping.

Rose is Rose

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Time for a Muffining.

This better lead to Mary discovering that he killed that fake hippie.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Rose is Rose might be Petey's inspiration as a graphic novelist.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix doesn't do Sundays!

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

Ever since Frank and Ernest popped up, every time I see it my brain does this old joke I first heard Samuel L Jackson say in an interview before he got megafamous, "With the ladies I am always frank and ernest. In New York I'm Frank, and in Chicago I'm Ernest."

That's from The Long Kiss Goodnight. Fun movie!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This one got me good. Pickles is quietly a pretty reliable gag strip.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Poor Hudley, this guy just can't catch a break.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Ah yes, that famous pizza style, "Thick crust."

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I've seen more than enough TomBat strips about calling ICE, thanks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ImpAtom posted:

My local pizza place literally has this actually. Thin crust, 'regular' and thick crust. Thick crust is like a deep dish pizza.

Gnoman posted:

It is quite common.

I know "Deep dish," I know "Sicilian," I know "Detroit-style." "Thick Crust" has passed me by.

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

That is Kumamon. And I think John Allison knows that.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Just gonna check average temps for January 2003 near me..

Wow, a couple spikes into the 60s there! Meanwhile, in January 2023...

I'm sure it's fine.

Rose is Rose

"...an idiot."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Nobody can argue with the mental image of Miss Bliss on a tricycle.

Born 21 Years Too Soon

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I was like "drat"

Doomykins posted:

Gotta say it before I forget it for the tenth time: thanks for posting Cul De Sac again! It's a touch of joy every day. :3:

Once I started inflicting Rose is Rose on the thread, I figured I should expand my GoComics offerings. Seeing Cul de Sac in the list was a no-brainer. The FoxTrot reruns appealed to me because they're currently in 2003, which was right after I fell off of if and all newspaper comics (I'd just started college, and I was only reading the campus newspaper on a regular basis.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NEXT: Meat-touching?!

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

We are blessed; The baby didn't talk.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix...it just occurred to me I could go grab the old Sundays myself!

Super Bowl XXXVII was the last Super Bowl to be played in January; the calendar and changes to the league's schedule kept the Big Game to February 1st at the earliest afterwards (And now, with the expanded regular season, it's a second Sunday in February game.) In Jason, Paige and Andy's defense, the game was a one-sided affair as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers stomped the Oakland Raiders, 21-48. Notable ads from the game were Reebok's "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker," the FedEx ad that played off of the end of Cast Away, and the H&R Block spot with Willie Nelson that my parents still reference ("My face is burnin'!") The lead-out program was Alias, which was the only young series ABC had that even approached "hit" status - and it wasn't even a top 50 show! (It was "Phase One," AKA the episode that opens with an extended sequence of Jennifer Garner slinking around in lingerie to seduce an asset.)

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

The producers would like to thank Garfield for supplying today's "splut"

FoxTrot Classix

I'm sure this "reality" thing is just a fad!

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Wow. A timely reference from Rose is Rose, with those cups that I'm told are popular now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh suddenly Jeremy calls people on the phone huh

Teenagers don't live according to logical consistency.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mister Olympus posted:

I regret to inform you that the popular cups are full of lead

https://twitter.com/LeaMaric/status/1751790285561204753

I didn't know the cups were popular until I saw the news about the elevated lead content.

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

Everyone pretend I dredged up a bunch of billionaire submarine jokes from six months ago. (Heh, dredged up.)

I fell off the GBS Simpsons Memes thread right around that time and going back to it recently was wild. Somehow that already feels like half a decade ago.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

COMPUTERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

DO SOMETHING! Reward this pig or have him be punished! Something! ANYTHING!

I went back to the 2023 thread to see when I posted my last rant about Mary Worth being the worst of the worst of the soap opera strips, because it draws out everything to excruciating lengths - it was in late September. And I was complaining about the start of this storyline.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

First the Unauthorized Proselytizing, now random ESP testing? Mexikid's school has a LOT of issues.

Cul de Sac

...you folks ever order a pizza with extra cheese?

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 3, 1977)

holy poo poo