Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

The Islamic Shock posted:

Hey... President Biden just did something good for Americans like me!
That's great, son! Let's vote for him because voting for people who do poo poo you like is how democracy is supposed to work!
Wow, society is improving over time and I'm bitter!
I wonder if the tax burden will be shifted to my income bracket completely unnecessarily, and what's modern monetary theory?

Edit: didn't see people pointing all that out first but conservatives have gotten so used to the government doing poo poo against people they hate rather than actually doing anything for them that they think this is an aberration

Yeah, one of my aunts commented how she paid for her college by "waiting tables" during the summer and I was pretty annoyed by it. I wanted to reply "Okay, so take the average cost of going to college including tuition/housing/meals/etc today versus how much you can make over a summer vacation waiting on tables, how long do you think it would take to pay back the high interest student loans? Years? Decades? Centuries? My bet is on Infinity by the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The truth is the border crisis and debt will completely cease to exist the exact zeptosecond a republican takes office in the white house, and will not return again until the exact zeptosecond a democrat takes office in the white house, just as it has always been.

Republicans/conservatives love to complain about the border crisis/debt, but they absolutely hate any idea of actually doing anything about them. "No! Not that way!"

A conservative in another internet forum I used to frequent seriously suggested putting machine gun nests/emplacements all along the border (and this was back in the Obama years). So basically any realistic solution proposed to address the border crisis will fail with republicans/conservatives because it would not be nearly racist enough to get their support.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

template for everyone else:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

So they admit the republican proposals on the border crisis are useless and won't work?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Phlegmish posted:

I would assume they're being given fake engine sounds so people can hear them coming and not die from getting run over. Are these huge EVs even a thing? I don't think I've ever seen them in Europe. Just seems like an excuse to make a cartoon about 'fragile masculinity', but maybe it's a big trend in the US.
The fake engine sounds is a thing Dodge announced just a few weeks ago, they will have actual exhaust pipes with some kind of baffle system that makes V8 sounds at like 120+ decibels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAZkn11hcw

Yeah, fragile masculinity is a thing, 100% a thing.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Its a dodge, they will literally run down their batteries more by making fake revving sounds than they will by actually driving them. Especially at night when you are trying to sleep.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Hostile V posted:

Tats needs to die in a fire but it will never not warm my gay little transgender heart when a psycho bigot draws something that's supposed to be like "OUR HORRIBLE ENEMY" but instead makes us seem cool as hell. Look at her! She's smiling and happy! She's comfortable enough to wear a swimsuit around other people! She's having fun! gently caress yeah Saruma'am, loving be out there having fun with people!

And the one where the border patrol rolls out the red carpet and the reasonably well dressed and groomed migrants follow it looking fairly calm and dignified. Like... what part of them is bad or scary?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just to be clear : EVs are actually super fun to drive. My incredibly boring looking hatchback is the zippiest thing I’ve ever driven.

And public charging is pretty much just for emergency top ups. All your actual charging should be at your house, where you just plug the car in at night.

Sorry if I’m a broken record on this, but none of it’s even a little true. It’s maddening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FAqwkn-pc

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

seiferguy posted:

The biggest issue with EVs is the massive torque they give to spin the tires, which wrecks them fast. It's not uncommon to see tesla drivers say they need new tires after a mere 15k driving on them because drivers launch em. It's not limited to tesla as well, because rather than looking at EVs as an alternative to gas power and a potential way to reduce CO2, manufacturers have decided to make them luxury cars, having them get bigger and stronger and to the point that the size of them makes them hardly any better than internal combustion cars. The Hummer EV has one of the worse environmental impact ratings, and the best one isn't even an EV, it's plug-in hybrids. This whole conversation of course ignores that we've built infrastructure around requiring cars, loving over public transit and demonizing the idea of 15 minute cities.

Of course, none of this nuance even registers on Garrison or Payne so you'd never really see comics on it.

Nobody should ever buy a Hummer EV, but it still has a lower carbon impact than basically any modern "light truck" or SUV you see hundreds of on the road daily hauling fat bastards to work or the grocery store.

Also on tires, one of the easiest ways to make a high efficiency/low rolling resistance tire specific for EVs is to start with less tread depth right from manufacturing. It should be no surprise to anyone that high performance vehicles which lean on the heavy side will more quickly wear out their already thin from the factory tires. There isn't actually anything specific to EVs that burn up tires faster than an ICE vehicle with the same weight/power would. That being said, EVs are probably always going to have a fair amount more power/torque than ICE vehicles in the same class because it is just easier to get that kind of instant power output from batteries. Like recently I saw a video on youtube where some lunatic wired up a huge bank of lead acid batteries and used them to instantly melt/explode various nuts/bolts/metal tools/etc, and at one point in the video he did some napkin math based on the voltage drop during a discharge to calculate out that the bank was putting out around 3 megawatts or 4000 horsepower. Absurd power and torque is just a thing EVs are going to have because both are just so easily accessible with batteries and motors.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Hey Lester, do you know how the rest of that skit went?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xlQaimsGg

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Skios posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Antisemitism). Just... Jesus loving Christ.

I don't think "Concealed" is even a thing in sinfest anymore.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Szarrukin posted:

thank you all for replying, it is an incredible rabbit hole.

It is good that this usually comes up at least a couple times a year and keeps the information about it current. Also typically makes a nice break from just yelling how much we hate Sinfest / Tatsuya Ishida to actually articulating why.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

seiferguy posted:

I love these supposed crocodile tears over NPR bias.

Have any of them actually met the average NPR listener or listen to NPR themselves? (Last one is of course, no, that would interfere with whatever conservative talk radio they'd listen to).

Also I just find it amusing how constantly pissed off Payne is over electric vehicles that he works some anti-EV thing into practically all of his comics. Despite increasingly hating Elon Musk I daily a Tesla (I bought it before he really tore the mask off okay) and somehow it just existing being a thing that pisses off Payne brings some additional satisfaction to me beyond the fact that it is just a really good daily driver/appliance vehicle.

I don't ever want to go back to an ICE vehicle after driving an EV for years, it is life changing better in pretty much every way. And I very much look forward to the distant future when I'm not awoken several times in the average night by some douche driving by in an insanely loud open pipe exhaust truck/suv or even lovely car where someone ripped the catalytic converter out. The city would be so much quieter and more pleasant if everyone was driving EVs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

InsertPotPun posted:

my theory is that with the fall of the number of people being cops there will be a rise in the number of serial killers and everyone will come to the absolute wrong conclusions as to the reason

Because the venn diagram for serial killers and cops is almost a circle?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

The president has close to zero control over the economy, it really does frequently crash and burn itself completely outside of the occupants control. AGC.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Modern pickup trucks are far too large, heavy, and inefficient for a grocery store run, AGC.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I vaguely read something about this, wasn't the only person hurt the would-be shooter and outside the school no less?
Yes, a 14 year old male student with a pellet rifle caused the school to go into lock down, the police shot and killed the student outside the school after he aimed the rifle at them.

Cue the typical "How horrible this kind of thing happening in our quiet little rural town!" (In rural Red America where the ratio of guns to people is even higher than the national average and everyone votes for policies in a way that constantly broadcasts to the whole universe how much they hate any person that breathes and that the solution to all problems is always "MOAR GUNZ!".)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
What is the free speaking conservative going to say drinky duck?

Skios posted:

I mean, they've always been craven opportunists. They went from this (which is meant to be pro-Musk, in spite of the obviously flawed visual metaphor):

To this:

"Unpopular opinion": when even Elon Musk de-platforms you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bob Englehart

The 2018 midterms turnout was the highest it has been in about 110 years, and the 2020 presidential voter turnout was the highest it has been in 120 years.