Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s gonna be a bumper year for racist propagandists to tell us why Trump Is Good Actually and I’m thrilled to be sharing it with you

Oh look it’s already started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

All other comments aside, this is just the worst and most forced attempt at jokes. Just absolutely dull and completely lacking in cleverness, and I don't even know how someone turns "American Idiot" - a song angry at Republican voters in 2002 - into "MAGA Idiot" and thinks they are somehow being funny, clever, or even saying anything about Green Day that they don't already wear on their sleeve.

I know we usually reserve these for cartoons that push forward the worst opinions in the worst ways, but this is just such a failure of humor and intent that I'm putting in Kellies nomination: Worst overall

Edit: also, "Transgender" is an adjective, not a noun, you can't put a comma after it in a list what the gently caress even is that

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

They didn't specifically write a song about trans people as far as I know. They did write King for a Day, which is about a cross-dresser. (Not the same thing, but I did see an anecdote on reddit of the lead singer grabbing a trans flag out of the audience and waving it around during it.)

The band has also made several pro-trans-rights statements, said they want their concerts to feel like a safe space for marginalized people (calling trans people out as an example specifically), etc. None of this is recent, of course. Billie Joe Armstrong was talking about being bisexual in the mid-90s. They've always been a politically active left-wing band that's friendly to the LGBTQ+ community.

Their breakout hit, "Basket Case", also switched up the gender of a person in one of the verses.

Green Day posted:

I went to a whore
He said my life's a bore
So quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down

Which you can read a lot of different things in to, so I'm not saying it's clear and supportive representation, but it's a thing that was on the radio before Ellen was out of the closet.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rall, for whatever reason, colored Obama’s skin purple for a while in his comics and when he got called out for that being weird and vaguely racist he declared it a “printing error” he had no control over, that he was the subject of a Daily Kos witch-hunt by liberals who hate leftists who aren’t supine enough about Obama, and drew Obama as having a giant smiley face head for a few months declaring that no one could call him racist or weird for it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s an election year, we’ll figure something out

Edit: also Charlie Kirk has stated that this year they’re going to focus TPUSA on telling everyone what an awful person MLK Jr was and how the 1964 Civil Rights Act should be revealed, so I expect Branco or Varvel is going to jump in that message soon

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Byzantine posted:

..Dutch East Indies?

“Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion”. If you’re a woke corporate stooge, it’s the new standard term for having an office/leadership position/etc. devoted to making sure that you don’t have intentional and unintentional discrimination within your company: doing education, facilitated sessions, and surveys/census to track whether you’re actually a welcoming place to work for minorities, and reporting that out to the company. For example: https://about.google/belonging/diversity-annual-report/2023/

Edit: I’m personally a work corporate stooge, so I’ve helped in DEI efforts in my workplace (though most of those are led by actual minorities because duh). It’s something easily criticized from the left as being more focused on looking good than actually being good, on ending with “oh we have work to do!” but never doing that work, and all of the standard “HIRE MORE WOMEN PRISON GUARDS” stuff where Google’s commitment to diversity is supposed to distract you from it being a giant panopticon controlling your media.

Criticisms from the right are… what you’d expect. Currently right wing Twitter and the person behind Libs Of TikTok are melting down over the idea that an airline could even think to have female pilots, as clearly DEI is to blame for that door blowing off a plane and all recent crashes

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 14, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

JamesBont posted:

I...what? I straight up don't get this one.

Horrible gorilla Michael “Michelle” Obama is going to eat Joe Biden and be the new Democrat nominee for president

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

Pelosi has one foot in the grave, and isn’t super popular. AOC would be a perfect replacement as their new boogiemonster, but she has no presidential aspirations and the party brass would never allow it anyways.

Newsom flat-out said he is not running, and you’re gonna look stupid if you keep claiming Hilary will jump in at the last minute, so Michelle is the closest they have even though it makes no real sense outside Michelle having high popularity polling…which is because she is isn’t a politician.

The most hilarious part is that Kamala Harris is right there, she's also a black woman, she also has clear presidential ambitions, and the whole "Vice President schemes to supplant the President" is like the most basic political thriller trope.

Insisting instead that clearly-uninterested-in-politics Michelle Obama is going to jump in the race is some deep, deep hatred and conspriacy thinking about Barrack Obama and how he secretly controls everything.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t think Rivers has been regularly posted in this thread before last year, but man, he’s already an odious stench

Just outright saying that the fact that anyone running against Trump must be a Democratic op, especially Haley who served in the Trump Administration.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. The thought process behind that cartoon was somehow even dumber than I could have suspected.

I understand the desire to stick it to the Other Side, and to be honest there is stuff coming from parts of the left that I don't agree with, but if you are so brain-poisoned by the Culture War™ that you start defending the position that it is good for humanity to all but destroy itself, maybe you need to take a step back and examine how you got there. But I guess doing so would require a minimal amount of self-awareness to begin with.

For a lot of people, if you ask them to choose between either a) having billions of people suffer and die young, and b) them personally changing their outlook, most people will let billions of people die. Change is hard and personal, and 'billions' of people is too big and abstract to personalize. But they know internally that this is a monstrous answer, and so they build up massive defenses on why them not changing is good, actually, and in fact it is the people demanding change who are evil and will cause suffering.

The number of cultural fronts we are watching this play out on right now is overwhelming.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wait... so Albanese is giving more tax cuts than were originally planned, and the media is hitting him with this as a "broken promise"? Or did he cancel the tax cuts on the wealthy to redirect them to less wealthy?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's even worse than that: this is the position they've been pushing. We've had a bunch of chuds writing articles, drawing cartoons, and doing segments on right-wing media about how DEI is terrible because unqualified people will be hired... and now we have Lester writing a cartoon about how people might believe the things he and his buddies have been saying and that is somehow DEI's fault. No, it's not the right-wing media that has placed this idea into peoples' heads! It just naturally arrived there as soon as they saw a Black person!

Yeah, the actual answer to the cartoon is “you should be angry at the racists who assume that DEI means that unqualified people get jobs (and thus the inherent assumption that all white people are competent), not DEI”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nenonen posted:

It's not that, though? The claim is "if you have positive discrimination in hiring then people will assume that you were selected for your race instead of your qualifications". Because of course companies never discriminate in their hiring in non-positive ways...

So you’re saying that as a white guy, I should support DEI practices to prevent people thinking I was hired due to my race. I’m down with that.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm not sure if it's come up, but since losing syndication, Scott Adams has a political comic: "Robots Read News" on his website.

Jesus, this is the worst dreck. Third-graders would find the “funny name calling” tiresome, and every single strip has the joke of “what if these two things I hate were actually the same thing??????”

Somehow the writing is ever more lame and uninspired than using the same panel every time

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Islamic Shock posted:

Oh gently caress all of the way off. Yes I'm sure the idea that someone doesn't want to participate in a system where the choices are obvious fascist leader or the genocider-in-chief is insane to you.

The fascist leader is also a worse genocider.

Edit: also, seriously, anyone who thinks RFK Jr. would be a good President is a terrible person

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Clerical Terrors posted:

So is Biden too bellicose in the middle east but also not bellicose enough against Iran? I'm starting to get confused.

Biden just bombed a bunch of Iranian militias in the Middle East, which be too little and too late, clearly a weak response meaning nothing, but also a dangerous escalation that will unthinkingly get us mired in World War III.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

I found his LinkedIn page, which has him at high school from 1974-1976 and college from 1977 - 1981. That would place him around 65, depending on whether the three years of high school is because he skipped a grade or made a typo. (He uses a much younger picture to represent himself, of course.) Animal House came out in 1978, so it's pretty much positioned perfectly to embed itself in his consciousness.

Some US districts have “junior high school” from 7th through 9th grade, and then “high school” is 10th through 12th, so it may just be he went to school in such a district

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hihohe posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about, you loving demon

He’s angry that people describe the Holocaust as a “crime against humanity” because it erases how it was directed against Jews

This would be understandable if not for:
A) describing it as a crime against Jews is erasing that it was also a crime against queer people, disabled people, and Romani
B) he’s angry in part or mostly that he doesn’t get to hide behind “the Holocaust happened to us” to justify everything they do against Hamas
C) he’s trying to imply that everyone hates Jews and will excuse crimes against Jews because they dare oppose Israeli policy

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You know what I'm on holiday. So here is a selection of "political cartoons" from Le Monde. In fact these illustrations accompanied specific articles. Does it count? I don't know, but it's a lot prettier than some of the stuff we tend to see.

Hrm. These fill me with an appreciation for their art rather than a desire to harm someone or to roll over and die. I can't see them as real political cartoons.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

This is possibly the most effort and thought Stantis has put into a comic in a long while, and it's still just bad.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

:vince:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

I swear to god these are getting stupider.

You'd think the bar couldn't be lower, but then Bok

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: He's Like Us*

This is the first Rall to ever make me laugh out loud.

Not at all for the reasons Rall intended.

Good for you, Rall. You talk down to those Black people in their sweater vests who insist that Trump's criminality makes him just like Black people. Those people wholly imagined by GOP activists and propagandists.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah definitely the plan all along was to get long-beloved DNC-darling Kamala Harris to be president

The murky and dangerous conspiracy of a President retiring for age related reasons and being replaced by the Vice President

How dare she be so ambitious and underhanded as to fulfill the legal order of succession

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened"

Look at that traced clip art. A bloody handprint on the front of the trophy that remains straight even as it goes around the side of it. "Confetti" littered that is literally the shape tool with a color fill, copied&pasted dozens of times along with copied&pasted bullet shells, none of which have any weight and a bunch of which are, unchanged, dropped on the bottom of the trophy. Look at that shell on the lower right corner of the base of the trophy! It is literally overlapping the trophy but has the same angles as the other bullets! And the litter is designed in such a way as to seem like you're looking at it from the top down, while the trophy is from the bottom up! And it's literally copied from the first link available in Google! https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...QAAAAAdAAAAABAI

To top it off, this is Stiglich, whose response to a mass shooting is "obviously this was caused by a poor DA who doesn't lock up every criminal for life"

This is the political cartooning equivalent of those "thoughts & prayers" e-mails GOP politicians send off when a mass shooting happens.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Kellies nomination: Most Willfully Dense

One was thrown into a remote prison on questionable pretexts that were condemned by Amnesty International, where he died at 47 under suspicious circumstances, the other is currently going through the legal system for crimes he has never denied commiting and some of which he did on national television, and has been given all opportunities to defend himself and appeal decisions.

gently caress you, you stupid lying sonofabitch.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

I would ask if it's actually true that 'Truckers for Trump' has brought the city of New York to its knees, but, you know

It's not true, but only because BLM and Antifa riots and fires have destroyed New York already, and everything that was left behind was already shoplifted.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Likewise, the "trucker convoy" down to 'fix' the border a month ago was entirely SUVs, RVs, and cars without a rig in sight.

Because again, the Venn diagram of 'people who can take two months off and afford to drive half-way across the country' and 'truckers' is two separate circles; but the Venn diagram of 'people who can take two months off and afford to drive half-way across the country and have angry angry opinions about brown people' and 'people who drive an RV or SUV and think that makes them a 'trucker'' is just a circle

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 21, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Every Confederate state except South Carolina had at least one full regiment worth of unionists in one Union army or another. Secession ordinances in many cases were passed by minority votes marked by voter intimidation and outright violence against unionists and their sympathizers by the state militias, between whom and the slave patrols a Venn diagram would be close to just a circle. The idea of there being a united Southern dream of secession and independence is very much a wartime myth amplified by the Lost Causers.

Likewise, one of the better Union commanders was George Thomas, "The Rock of Chickamauga" and the only Army commander to completely destroy an enemy army; but because he was from Virginia, the Lost Causers saw him as the worst of traitors, and he was largely ignored in post-war histories.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

hooman posted:

There was no counterfactual, the cartoon claims people do not like Biden because he's old. The response countered that claim.

You were specifically the poster who started this discussion by incorrectly claiming that the post that you quoted said something it didn't. You are directly responsible for this content being in this thread, when instead you could have hit report and moved on and let the mods do their jobs, instead you continue making GBS threads up the thread with backseat modding.

Okay, dude, I can point you at dozens of media articles where pundits question whether BIDEN IS TOO OLD and dozens of polls where IS BIDEN TOO OLD????? is asked of the public and the public responds with YES BIDEN TOO OLD. Christ, it's the subject of a third of the political cartoons for the last month or so.

Insisting that no, no one believes Biden is too old, it's all a cover-up for how everyone hates him for his I/P views is entirely you taking your own opinion, applying it to everyone, ignoring all other evidence. Yes, some people hate him for I/P, but there is also a lot of conversation about him being old.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

wizzardstaff posted:

"What's the best way to depict my nation's virtuous war? I know, I'll draw a soldier aiming a rifle at a group of unarmed, surrendering people."

Not to mention that the actual, literal message of the comic is “actually everyone agrees with everything we do they’re just afraid of doing so publicly”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Biden could and should make it a law that women should have the right to abortion. Women shouldn't depend on the whims of the supreme court. But he won't do that and women in the US won't have a right to decide over their own body regardless if Trump or Biden is president.

He literally made what executive orders he could to keep federal availability of abortion medicines.

The Senate took up an abortion bill, but couldn't get 50 Democrats behind it to set aside the fillibuster; Biden publicly called for the Senate Democrats to do that.

From https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/biden-administration-announces-new-abortion-initiatives-roe-anniversar-rcna134954:

quote:

Biden also reiterated his call for Congress to codify protections that had been provided by Roe, adding that if a bill were passed, he would "immediately" sign it into law...
The administration has repeatedly urged Congress to pass a law that would restore the protections that existed under Roe, but that proved impossible even when Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate, so it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

The departments of Treasury, Labor and Health and Human Services issued new guidance Monday to clarify standards and support expanded coverage of Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptives at no cost under the Affordable Care Act for millions of women nationwide...
The Justice Department is defending the position that required emergency care “can, in some circumstances, include abortion care” before the Supreme Court. The high court is expected to rule by June...
The Biden administration plans to make ballot initiatives on abortion a “core part” of its strategy in the next 10 months, engaging with hundreds of state leaders who are deeply involved with current legislative battles on the topic...

Like, blaming Biden for the fact that the Democrats only have a majority in the Senate and the House due to pro-life members like Joe Manchin is stupid, because no Democrat elected President is going to somehow materialize two more Democratic pro-choice Senators.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

So this was a lie then?

No, you disingenuous rear end, because the law never made it out of Congress.

Unless you are interpreting "As president, I will codify Roe into law" into him saying "As president, I will somehow use powers I do not have to force Congress to pass a law that I will then use my legitimate powers to codify"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Dude, it's a tweet, trying to own Biden because he didn't say "Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, and we must fight any and all attempts to overturn it. As president, I will support all efforts to codify Roe into law and as President take my legal and allowable actions to sign a bill into law on the assumption that you also elect a Senate that is sufficiently pro-choice as to be able to have a majority in support for a law that legalizes abortion and also can get that bill out of appropriate committees and also can set aside the fillibuster for long enough that it can successfully pass said piece of legislation and also that you elect a Congress that is also sufficiently pro-choice as to be able to have a majority in support for a law that legalizes abortion that has the same wording as the Senate bill and thus can get said bill out of committee and also pass that bill through the House with so few amendments and/or poison pill amendments that the negotiating committee between the House and the Senate can come to an agreement on a joint bill in the correct timeframe that the bill does not need to be re-passed, or should it, a sufficient pro-choice majority of both the House and the Senate that they can pass said amended bill through the House and Senate and thus give to me a law to sign and ensure this choice remains between a woman and her doctor" is super weak

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Presidents routinely talk about their role in terms of leader of their party and not just as the the article 2 executive, because that's what the presidency is.

Jumping on people for simply repeating the President's words is ridiculous. A president should be able to shepherd his agenda through congress (iirc one if the arguments for voting Biden was that he had senate connections and knew how to get things done and even reach across the aisle to get Republican support, then he gets in and can't manage his own party).

If a president can't get his agenda passed, it is a failure, your 8th grade civics education wasn't enough to understand how government works. There's a reason Carter is considered an ineffective president: he wasn't able to work with his own party in congress to accomplish a domestic agenda.

I mean, even if I take this weird "the President should be explicit up front about the limits of what they accomplish in advance because the American people can't interpret his statements in the context of what their 8th grade civics education taught them" position as truth, along with the associated "during a Presidential campaign, no one should ever make statements about what they want to accomplish and their intentions without being very clear about the limitations on what they can accomplish without an amenable Congress" it still makes Biden's tweet aspirational about his effectiveness, not a lie which was your original, intentionally incendiary statement.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Historical VitalSigns positions:

"In 1932, Franklin Delano Roosevelt campaign's song was "Happy Days Are Here Again"; however, by 1936 the Great Depression had not ended. Thus, he was lying"

"In 1952, Republicans said, "I Like Ike", however, he did not win the nomination uncontested. Thus, a lie"

"In 1984, Reagan had a commercial calling it 'morning in America', but that commercial was aired in the evening. A lie."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 27, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

It wasn't a statement, it was a question to examine what you were saying. You're jumping on someone for simply saying what the president said and when this is pointed out, doing a bunch of gymnastics to add imaginary caveats to reconcile Biden's words with what you think they ought to be.

Nobody thinks about the presidency the way you're scolding people to, not even the president himself who routinely makes promises to pass an agenda, not to simply wait around and hope someone else does something that he can then support, because that is not the the role of the president who is a political leader not simply a functionary with a rubber stamp.

lol, you literally asked "So this was a lie then?", a sneering, incendiary statement where you insisted that a campaign promise should be taken outside of the realm of factual possibility, where if Biden had been elected without a Democratic Senate or House and he had no chance of passing anything it still would have been A LIE in your estimation

And now you're accusing me of "gymnastics to add imaginary caveats" for saying "campaign statements are made assuming the audience has even a basic undersanding of how law making works"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Drakyn posted:

Colourist Errors, Corrected

Okay, it’s too subtle for me, I have no idea what’s changed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Say the name of all the people who died of COVID in 2020, you feckless piece of poo poo