Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Mindopali posted:

As an european who sees such a thread for the first time, I have no clue how much of it is caricature or not, but man is it fascinating.

As a fellow European, there's always more, and it's always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Interesting to see Lectrr show up in one of these. He draws for De Standaard over here, which is where I mainly know him from. He's not bad, but he's definitely the type to always be bitching and complaining about one thing or another. That said, that's basically your job description as a political cartoonist

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Why is he drawing John McCain morphing into Karl Malden? :confused:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Likewise as an American I love the foreign poli-cartoon strips and I just see the recurring characters as wacky imps instead of the potential life-wrecking morons they really could be to people with context. Cartoon Rishi Sunak and his friends are such gremlins.

MechaCrash posted:

What does Rall think will happen if it's ruled that Trump can't run for president on account of all the treason? Biden will just run unopposed? Does he really think that there's nobody the Republicans can grab to throw up on stage?

To Rall and Trump supporters the others are such wimps they will lose by default to incumbent advantage so consequences are unfair. It shows that they don't think it out any further than that since there would also be a huge swell of anger that'd go to whoever the GOP put up as Trump's replacement if he actually got booted from the general election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Real Rishi Sunak and his friends are gremlins too, so it figures.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Michelle Obama is not currently a politician, and has not once shown any interest in running for office, and yet the bullshit right-wing rumors that she'll try to become president ANY DAY NOW have been around for years and just will not die despite how obviously not based in reality they are.

I think now that Hillary Clinton has been thoroughly defeated, right-wingers are trying to find another arch-nemesis quasi-supernatural Evil Woman that they can all rally around. Nancy Pelosi isn't powerful enough to be truly hated at the level they want, so they're aiming at Michelle Obama because she carries along plausibly-deniable sexism, racism, and transphobia (even though she's not trans, these loving idiots) all at once.

The fact that she's not a politician is the only thing keeping it at the "she'll enter the race Any Day Now" level. The moment she shows any interest in any sort of public office, an entire industry will start churning out books accusing her of being the Antichrist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pelosi has one foot in the grave, and isn’t super popular. AOC would be a perfect replacement as their new boogiemonster, but she has no presidential aspirations and the party brass would never allow it anyways.

Newsom flat-out said he is not running, and you’re gonna look stupid if you keep claiming Hilary will jump in at the last minute, so Michelle is the closest they have even though it makes no real sense outside Michelle having high popularity polling…which is because she is isn’t a politician.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Caught in the middle by Luo Jie

Classic US, quicksanding both legs into the world's slowest nut shot.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

Pelosi has one foot in the grave, and isn’t super popular. AOC would be a perfect replacement as their new boogiemonster, but she has no presidential aspirations and the party brass would never allow it anyways.

Newsom flat-out said he is not running, and you’re gonna look stupid if you keep claiming Hilary will jump in at the last minute, so Michelle is the closest they have even though it makes no real sense outside Michelle having high popularity polling…which is because she is isn’t a politician.

The most hilarious part is that Kamala Harris is right there, she's also a black woman, she also has clear presidential ambitions, and the whole "Vice President schemes to supplant the President" is like the most basic political thriller trope.

Insisting instead that clearly-uninterested-in-politics Michelle Obama is going to jump in the race is some deep, deep hatred and conspriacy thinking about Barrack Obama and how he secretly controls everything.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Hunt’s tax-cut tease in Davos – Speaking at the World Economic Forum, the chancellor says he’s hopeful of reducing taxes in the spring budget"

Telegraph:

Matt:

King seen for first time since prostate operation announcement

Independent:

Sunak ‘determined’ to pass Rwanda Bill ahead of Lords showdown; After JMW Turner.

The i paper:

Times:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Michelle Obama is not currently a politician, and has not once shown any interest in running for office, and yet the bullshit right-wing rumors that she'll try to become president ANY DAY NOW have been around for years and just will not die despite how obviously not based in reality they are.

That's because Barack already had his two terms, so it's harder to use him as a bogeyman.
Hillary is still fairly effective for them, but, the only thing scarier than a woman president would be a black woman president.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the_steve posted:

That's because Barack already had his two terms, so it's harder to use him as a bogeyman.
Hillary is still fairly effective for them, but, the only thing scarier than a woman president would be a black woman president.

Also the first trans president :jerkbag:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Goblin Sunak, while distasteful, is a marked improvement over fecal golem BoJo and increasingly rotted corpse Theresa May.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Blind Duke posted:

Goblin Sunak, while distasteful, is a marked improvement over fecal golem BoJo and increasingly rotted corpse Theresa May.

Also less than cabbage

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

Warmongering by Song Chen

low key if the war kills all the humans its probably better for the earth

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

The fact that she's not a politician is the only thing keeping it at the "she'll enter the race Any Day Now" level. The moment she shows any interest in any sort of public office, an entire industry will start churning out books accusing her of being the Antichrist.

They already are. The same shitbag who wrote that "Dreams of my Real Father" book about Obama wrote one about her recently. Alex Jones mentions it from time to time when he's whining about not being able to set up an interview with the guy.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Carlos Latuff

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

David M. Hitch

Jeff Danziger

Jimmy Margulies

Lee Judge

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Smith

Pedro X. Molina

Randall Enos

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Which one of these is the grandma?

yes I know, the smartie ones took the stairs

You could write a thesis about this.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 21, 2024

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Grandma's a terrorist, kid. She'll see you in a few years.

Kellies Nomination: Most Willfully Dense
Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

(Maybe not exactly the sense I mean, but close - this looks loving rad and there's no indication in the cartoon as to why we should not want this.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I'm way ahead of you, idonotlikepeas :mmmsmug:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Guess you just have good taste!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Actually I have a terrible taste, which means you lose!

lost old man
Nov 4, 2009

I AM HUNGER.
I FEED.

Does this bar just serve chilled 750 ml bottles of Tanqueray?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Actually I have a terrible taste, which means you lose!

:negative:

I mean, I do read dozens of political cartoons every day, so you probably have a point here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just loving pathetic. "All we did was walk around and take pictures!"
Jan 6 is amazing because they scrambled to get a talking point on it and never found it. There's like 5 major talking points and they all contradict each other and the same people will cycle through them. I know that to themselves and their base, that's more than enough to be convincing, and their minds won't change either way, but god it's just so loving funny seeing them flop around like this, just completely failed messaging at every step. This one might be the most pathetic though. "Us poor ol grandmas just sightseeing!"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lalo Alcaraz

Nick Anderson

Pedro Molina

Peter Kuper

Brian McFadden

Matt Bors

Jen Sorensen

Tom Tomorrow

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Vib Rib posted:

Just loving pathetic. "All we did was walk around and take pictures!"
Jan 6 is amazing because they scrambled to get a talking point on it and never found it. There's like 5 major talking points and they all contradict each other and the same people will cycle through them. I know that to themselves and their base, that's more than enough to be convincing, and their minds won't change either way, but god it's just so loving funny seeing them flop around like this, just completely failed messaging at every step. This one might be the most pathetic though. "Us poor ol grandmas just sightseeing!"

Yeah, right wing radio hosts will start a 15-minute segment with the "poor grandmas taking pictures are being tortured by the police (who are bad now)" schtick, gradually move towards "the cops let them in / they were all feds", and end the segment with "these heroes were completely justified and we're gonna do it again if Biden steals this election too, so watch your backs". Like, their supposed actual beliefs change as the narrative progresses and they get more and more riled up, it's kind of remarkable to view as an outsider.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Nenonen posted:

Which one of these is the grandma?

yes I know, the smartie ones took the stairs

You could write a thesis about this.

Lol. If I remember correctly, one of the first people charged for January 6th was a grandma and she received such a low sentence that it was already done by the time an article could come out about it.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Pedro Molina

I'm pretty sure he's not defending the Uvalde police (nobody is) but it looks to me like they were ready to go in but were restrained. Someone please explain how I'm reading this wrong.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

(Maybe not exactly the sense I mean, but close - this looks loving rad and there's no indication in the cartoon as to why we should not want this.)

For real, what's the downside here? This is the Jetsons level poo poo we dreamt of as kids.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not defending the Uvalde police (nobody is) but it looks to me like they were ready to go in but were restrained. Someone please explain how I'm reading this wrong.

Can we photoshop out the gun and replace it with a smart phone, so it's more accurate to reality?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Usually one ties their own shoelaces, so the person restraining the cop here is, in fact, the cop. (Also, "to trip over one's own shoelaces" generally means "to fall down due to one's own clumsiness".)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Grandma, why did people who walked across an arbitrary line get arrested and are being denied their civil rights by every President in the last century?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke, Laziest art (non-Gorrell)

The gently caress is this? This is not a political cartoon :psyduck:

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke (there literally isn't one) message? Laziest message? I mean it's not even clear what the guy reading the paper is thinking about it.

And this can just gently caress off

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 21, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Microplastics posted:

The gently caress is this? This is not a political cartoon :psyduck:

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke (there literally isn't one)

It is a political cartoon by definition. One doesn't have to have a punchline or a joke, nor even an explicit message. A drawing of a crying eagle watching the WTC fall is also a political cartoon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ok fair point, I'll give you that.

But even in that particular subgenre of political cartoon it lazy. It's just a guy reading a headline!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

80-90% of political cartoons are just lazy, even when they're done by people with actual artistic skill, like Bennett.

A lot of these people are just pumping out a new cartoon every week or however often, and I also would definitely struggle to come up with something interesting to say every single time. There are only a few cartoonists who are consistently good, like Ruben Bolling, but much of his stuff isn't strictly political, which I think is part of the reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Microplastics posted:

Ok fair point, I'll give you that.

But even in that particular subgenre of political cartoon it lazy. It's just a guy reading a headline!

I think, and this is my interpretation, that Uncle Sam is reading the headline, gripping the paper in fury (note the angry wrinkles around the hands) and the face is shrouded with black scribbles of anger. It would come across better if their style wasn't entirely black scribbles to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Phlegmish posted:

80-90% of political cartoons are just lazy, even when they're done by people with actual artistic skill, like Bennett.

A lot of these people are just pumping out a new cartoon every week or however often, and I also would definitely struggle to come up with something interesting to say every single time. There are only a few cartoonists who are consistently good, like Ruben Bolling, but much of his stuff isn't strictly political, which I think is part of the reason.

Collins is the same. A good 1/3 to 1/2 of his output is just commentary on some slice of life or cultural thing rather than anything political.

After he quit, I remember Tim Kreider talking about how bad trying to make meaningful cartoons was for his mental health as it meant deliberately and frequently tapping into anger or despair. If you are doing that regularly to meet a recurring deadline, it's going to impact you.