Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever. You've made up your minds and decided I'm a poo poo. I'm sticking by the decisions I've made too.

Recoome, I'd tell you to go huff petrol but it's all fumeless now. (NOW THAT'S RACIST!)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Please answer the question

GrandTheftAutism posted:

I was asked to change the founding document of my country

Should an indigenous voice have been included from the start?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Please answer the question

Should an indigenous voice have been included from the start?

Ideally yes, but we don't live in an ideal world and this country was founded by the British Empire, which treated First Nations people as two-legged livestock at best.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So we should change it, right?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e%20council%27.

I for one welcome our new piece-meal Voices, which will prove over time that it should have been an overwhelming "Yes" vote.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Whatever. You've made up your minds and decided I'm a poo poo. I'm sticking by the decisions I've made too.

Recoome, I'd tell you to go huff petrol but it's all fumeless now. (NOW THAT'S RACIST!)

Good grief

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So we should change it, right?

The overwhelming No vote points to the decades of wrongs, animosity, grudges, cultural differences, refusal of either side to respect the other's laws and customs, and straight up racism standing in the way of that change.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lol

lmao even

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I am here for bucky absolutely dismantling this terrible human

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

GrandTheftAutism posted:

The overwhelming No vote points to the decades of wrongs, animosity, grudges, cultural differences, refusal of either side to respect the other's laws and customs, and straight up racism standing in the way of that change.

Thank you for also standing in the way of that change.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Nice meltdown

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

Nice meltdown

You don't know what a meltdown is

it's beer o'clock, time for a chilled metho

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, spicy Friday

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

thatbastardken posted:

the oxford english dictionary can get hosed imo

macquarie 4 life

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Sure.

Please answer the question.

If an indigenous voice should have been included at the start, but wasn't, that means we should change it, right?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
bicycle paths

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Nice edit coward

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

What I’m confused about is this

GrandTheftAutism posted:

No, it doesn't help, fuckface.

Not voting yes regardless of reasons means I'm automatically racist? That's an even shittier take. I was asked to change the founding document of my country for the sake of people who despise my country (or worse, outright reject its existence). On what loving planet is that a reasonable request?

Who are the people who despise this country? Please name this group as this is really relevant to this discussion.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How do you work as a screw and have such thin skin lol

Necessary qualification. How else are you going to justify the beatings?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Recoome posted:

What I’m confused about is this

Who are the people who despise this country? Please name this group as this is really relevant to this discussion.
He’s talking about the chicoms

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wow 100+ posts did Albo finally do something other than yet another photo op at bar Italia in Leichhardt?

Oh

Oh no.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sure.

Please answer the question.

If an indigenous voice should have been included at the start, but wasn't, that means we should change it, right?

I did answer, but I'll rephrase: the result of the No vote demonstrates that a) there are too many factors obstructing that change and b) whether this thread likes it or not, the majority of the voting public have indicated that they do not want that change. In terms of realpolitik, whether or not we should have such change is immaterial. It simply isn't going to happen without changing the complex underlying social issues that successive governments and community action groups continue to ignore.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

Wow 100+ posts did Albo finally do something other than yet another photo op at bar Italia in Leichhardt?

Oh

Oh no.

i said gently caress whitey and all hell broke loose

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GrandTheftAutism posted:

clam down, mr chernobyl

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-05/terry-irving-wrongfully-convicted-compensation-justice-system/103500798

This is a good article from the ABC about the search for justice for a wrongful conviction. Also a damning indictment of every QLD government and the beaurocracy within it.

Some choice quotes:

The stitch up:

ABC posted:

After a brief interview, police took Terry into custody, later typing up a recount of their conversation with him about the events of March 19. The detectives maintain there was never a recording of this meeting, but Terry’s lawyers believe there was — and that it was hidden by police to cover up the truth about what was said.
Police opposed bail, claiming that he had six “fail to appear” offences on his record — something that would later be proven untrue.
In submissions that were never shown to the court during his trial, witnesses to the robbery — who had been asked to identify Terry from a photo line-up — wavered on whether he was even the man they had seen. One noted that his skin colour looked similar but that he couldn’t be entirely sure, while another remarked: “I wouldn’t say ‘yes, that was him’, not at all”. Terry’s lawyers allege these statements were changed or shortened before the trial to make it appear as though witnesses had clearly identified him as the robber.
The case was marred by sloppy police work and littered with inconsistencies, and Terry’s previous requests for legal aid to appeal the verdict had been denied by the highest levels of bureaucracy.
What was supposed to be a three-day trial wrapped up in just six hours. On December 8, 1993, Terry was found guilty of armed robbery and sentenced to eight years in prison.

The response:

ABC posted:

In 1997, four years to the day after the jury delivered a guilty verdict, the High Court of Australia quashed Terry’s criminal conviction and ordered a new trial. One of the presiding High Court justices stated they had the “gravest misgiving about the circumstances of [the] case”, and that the way the trial had been handled was “disturbing”. The following year, the Queensland Director of Public Prosecutions dropped the charges entirely, stating the evidence against him had “no merit”.
More than three decades later, he is yet to see a dollar in compensation for what he suffered. Worse still, he’s yet to receive an apology.
In 2002, the duo took the case to the United Nations, which ruled that Terry had suffered “manifest injustice” by being denied legal assistance. It would take another two decades for the Queensland Court of Appeal to determine that Terry had been the victim of a “malicious prosecution”.
“In Terry’s case, it was a specific finding by the court that a detective investigating that matter had acted with malice — she’d intentionally done the wrong thing,” says Melissa Meyers, the principal lawyer from Maurice Blackburn for Terry’s case.
“Both of my parents went to their graves never knowing I was vindicated. It cuts me to the bone and [the court battles] have been like a continuous punishment.”
“This is the sixth attorney-general who has been approached in Terry’s case to try and bring a resolution to get compensation and get an apology for what he’s been put through,” Melissa says.

ABC posted:

Australia is one of the only Western developed democracies that has failed to honour the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights by legislating compensation for wrongful convictions.

Absolute loving garbage. I hope he wins the QLD supreme court case for compensation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

See this is how it should be, the law recognising the complex truth rather than language and logic being remade to deliver a desirable political outcome.

That judge actually ruled exactly against your previous statement. Nobody is remaking language, you're just wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm sorry but the progressive no guy turns out to view indigenous people as petrol sniffing Australia haters? Say it ain't so.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GrandTheftAutism posted:

That's not what a progressive No means and you'd know better if you stopped huffing solvents and saved a few brain cells to rub together.

Progressive Yes Vote: We want a constitutionally enshrined advisory body for First Nations people so they can present their needs to the government
Conservative Yes Vote: This is a great idea, but we should hash out the details some more before we proceed
Progressive No Vote: The Voice is just a weak replacement for a treaty, bin the referendum, make the racist elements step aside and let's make a treaty happen
Conservative No Vote: I don't want no drat blacks in muh constitution!

this is what debating in bad faith looks like

The referendum, in the form it took, was essentially a Morton's Fork - If Yes won, First Nations people were locked out of a treaty by a Voice that the government could basically just ignore. If No prevailed, apathy and racism would resume standard operating levels and state-based attempts at Treaty would fail. Either way, they lose.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

No, it doesn't help, fuckface.

Not voting yes regardless of reasons means I'm automatically racist? That's an even shittier take. I was asked to change the founding document of my country for the sake of people who despise my country (or worse, outright reject its existence). On what loving planet is that a reasonable request?

Why has your reasoning changed since you were arguing for progressive no prior to the referendum?

Because it really looks like the "progressive no" argument you put forward seems to have been a bad faith argument to cover for what you actually thought.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Recoome posted:

Oh wait GrandTheftAutism is ScreamingLlama, that makes so much sense.

checks out

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Small domino drunk soccer player calls a copper a white bastard to big domino the entire progressive no voter base revealed to be a racist psyop

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

GrandTheftAutism posted:

I did answer, but I'll rephrase: the result of the No vote demonstrates that a) there are too many factors obstructing that change and b) whether this thread likes it or not, the majority of the voting public have indicated that they do not want that change. In terms of realpolitik, whether or not we should have such change is immaterial. It simply isn't going to happen without changing the complex underlying social issues that successive governments and community action groups continue to ignore.

bro you could've just said you were allergic to the word "yes" it would've been better than all this poo poo you're spewing now

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Mola Yam posted:

bicycle paths

Great place to chuck your used disposable vapes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Now excuse me what was the question again

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

GrandTheftAutism posted:

That doesn't answer the question at all.

Your original premise was:

"I was asked to change the founding document of my country [...] On what loving planet is that a reasonable request?"

And if you think it should have been included at the start, then that planet is this one.

"No, the country is too racist" is a completely different position, and makes even less sense.

What seems to have come through your posting, however, is a spiteful contempt for indigenous people.

You haven't demonstrated enough good-faith for this conversation to be worth continuing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I submit into evidence these posts and to ask yourself if "stupid white bastard" is, if anything, a quaint but accurate description of the situation?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Lid posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I submit into evidence these posts and to ask yourself if "stupid white bastard" is, if anything, a quaint but accurate description of the situation?

if anything it's too kind... a cheeky "white" 'oval office' would've been more appropriate

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

I'm sorry but the progressive no guy turns out to view indigenous people as petrol sniffing Australia haters? Say it ain't so.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

The guy that "designs" bicycle paths by marking up Google map screen caps has a point here.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Also lol at the constitution being the "founding document".

It was written in 1901, over a century after this place was founded, and 118 years after Sandwich and Banks wrote "A Proposal for Establishing a Settlement in New South Wales", on the 24 August 1783.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
mmmm sandwich