Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

A burnt out former gifted child with chronic depression and anxiety.

Ugh :( :respek: :(

That poo poo needs to die; I’m making sure my daughter, who may also fit into the “gifted” category, isn’t pulled into it. It does way more harm than good.

‘Grats on getting through life in the aftermath of all that

From the ‘90s thread in PYF:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

A burnt out former gifted child with chronic depression and anxiety.

I have actually done some pretty cool stuff with my life, I used to think traveling to places like Borneo, Australia, and Belize was impossible for a poverty-stricken abused nobody stuck in a small town trailer park, but I've been to those places now, and many more! I'm even going to go watch a total solar eclipse in 2 months in Mexico. Never would have thought that was remotely possible back then.

I honestly wish I could go back in time and let 13 year old me know that some of my impossible dreams do eventually come true :unsmith:

I'm glad for you. Way to go!

Making my last minute eclipse plans myself, but I'm close enough to the center line that it's a days drive. Totally jealous of you though for making plans to be in Mexico. Hope you get no clouds!

naem
May 29, 2011

did anyone mention that F.R. I.E.n.D.S. came out in 1994 yet

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

root beer posted:

That poo poo needs to die; I’m making sure my daughter, who may also fit into the “gifted” category, isn’t pulled into it. It does way more harm than good.

i was in a "gifted" program in elementary school for several years but it mostly seemed to involve doing a lot of logic matrix puzzles and it didn't really impact my later life in any way better or worse. i guess i got slightly better at that one specific type of puzzle.

also the only reason i was considered "gifted" is because i was good at piano and started reading early, i sucked at most regular school subjects other than english or history (in which i was no prodigy, just competent) and continued to suck at them all the way through high school and college so it was probably some kind of mistake since some of the other kids in that group were taking advanced math and poo poo

but i suspect similar groups these days involve a lot more high pressure bullshit about planning out the rest of your life which would really suck

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tango alpha delta posted:

1994 was pretty much a blur for me.

I didn't have much interest in sports or school elections.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

i was in a "gifted" program in elementary school for several years but it mostly seemed to involve doing a lot of logic matrix puzzles and it didn't really impact my later life in any way better or worse. i guess i got slightly better at that one specific type of puzzle.

also the only reason i was considered "gifted" is because i was good at piano and started reading early, i sucked at most regular school subjects other than english or history (in which i was no prodigy, just competent) and continued to suck at them all the way through high school and college so it was probably some kind of mistake since some of the other kids in that group were taking advanced math and poo poo

but i suspect similar groups these days involve a lot more high pressure bullshit about planning out the rest of your life which would really suck

Reading better than expected for your grade level was the surest way into the gifted program, yeah. I actually kind of enjoyed that class through elementary and junior high, but upon entering high school I found I'd been unceremoniously dropped from the program because (unbeknownst to anyone) you had to get an A in English in 8th grade to stay in it, and I'd gotten a B due to a lack of interest in memorizing all possible prepositions. Oopsie.

Hey, is there a "burned out former 'gifted kid'" thread? There's got to be one somewhere on the forums, it feels like a lot of goons would qualify.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Powered Descent posted:

it feels like a lot of goons would qualify.

Baby you ain't kidding

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

People who aren't like us live normal, productive lives in the real world.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyway, I checked, it was actually Flab Quarv Six that was obliterated. An easy mistake to make.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

root beer posted:

Ugh :( :respek: :(

‘Grats on getting through life in the aftermath of all that

From the ‘90s thread in PYF:

not gonna lie, that is a pretty cool jacket

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Holy poo poo, is that show where they did like £35,000 of damage to the venue then the singer just straight up disappeared afterward?

Close enough, he was the lyricist/"rhythm guitarist" (he could play about as well I can, ie hardly at all) but yeah. Last time as the OG four piece, they smashed up a bunch of their gear (*not* the cheapo versions) and the stage, then a month later he did his disappearing act forever more right on the eve of a US promo trip, and so began the Man at C&A period.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It was awful because I wasn't yet alive but thankfuly the year after it got slightly less so and now everything is great.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Close enough, he was the lyricist/"rhythm guitarist" (he could play about as well I can, ie hardly at all) but yeah. Last time as the OG four piece, they smashed up a bunch of their gear (*not* the cheapo versions) and the stage, then a month later he did his disappearing act forever more right on the eve of a US promo trip, and so began the Man at C&A period.

Thank you for clarifying, I was a thirteen yr old living in south texas, it wasn’t actually news, I think I read about the whole thing in SPIN or some other bullshit months later. I did get a copy of Holy Bible (on cassette!) before I even heard the story. Did they ever find his body or is he just chillin’ w/Tupac and Easy, and Kurt ?

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry to double post but disappears/suicides on the eve of a US tour…kinda reminds me of someone (sorry if that was the joke)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Sentinel Red posted:

I had a clear out years back so most of my pre '00s gig tickets are long gone but there is one I held onto:

Legendary, both for good and ill but hey, at least the dude went out with a bang (the bang coming from the drum kit when he launched himself at it like a guided missile).

I am, as the kids say, well jel

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kevyn posted:

I remember the VHS release of ET being a huge deal when it finally came out because the movie was like six years old by that point. I think that might’ve been the first official VHS movie we owned instead of poo poo recorded off tv.

Man ET is one of those movies that was so wildly beloved at the time, but who the gently caress is ever rewatching that garbage?

Meanwhile the thing released at almost the same time, flopped soundly and if it came out in 2024 it'd be a top 5 movie, easy.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

It was awful because I wasn't yet alive but thankfuly the year after it got slightly less so and now everything is great.

Were you at least percolating? Cause that’s why most of us drink and do drugs, kid. I mean that in the kindest possible way :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In 1994 you could do cocaine and only have to worry about cocaine related effects, or if it was cut with too much baby powder or laxative. None of this "oh sorry your dead from Fent" nonsense.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sentinel Red posted:

4 Real!?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Anyway, I checked, it was actually Flab Quarv Six that was obliterated. An easy mistake to make.

Nice reference. Wow.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i was p much ignoring this thread until i realized i have a 1994 calendar that i used as a sort of journal at work in the sawmill. i can tell you about 1994 from my perspective. i drew a little cartoon in each square on days i worked and made comments about my idiot co-workers and also some of the poo poo that was happening in the world. i do note that on january 4th i sketched a millworker saying "kiss me, i'm gay. what are ya waitin' for?" and on the 21st, uncle buckle the safety buffalo is quoted as saying "if you have an osha recordable accident, i will kill you."

January birthdays noted are somebody named walt on the 5th, wolfie mozart on the 27th. actor claude akins took his final bow in january 94 :rip:

February 1994:

5th - a picture of a duck farting with the overwrought title DUCK FART!
6th - a portrait of capt. hazelwood of exxon valdez fame with the caption 'designated driver'
12th - rest in peace neil bonnet
13th - pouring one out for actor hal smith best known for his iconic role as otis campbell
21st - it appears that lake speed finished second at the daytona 500

March 1994:

2nd - last shift in reman, goin back to the sander
4th - flag at half staff for john candy, lean mean fightin' machine
11th - a man wearing a t-shirt printed with "I :h: my tapeworm" says "A day without Miller* is like a day without intestinal parasites."
20th - a rather wretched looking rabbit celebrates the equinox with a poem: spring has sprung, the grass has rizz, now i gotta take a wizz
27th - an unflattering portrait of marge schott who states, "who'd a thunk it! anarchists in the big leagues!"
29th - a weeping rhino informs us of the passing of eugene ionesco
30th - ed zern exits, laughing

*Dogshit Miller was a vile, smelly, rancid, sub-literate, racist goat farmer that worked at the mill. any day he wasn't there was a better day.

April 1994:

7th - the patron saint of weekends/days off, st. clarence, says "lay down thy burden, and take off the shoes from thy feet, for the blessed weekend is upon us"
22nd - we don't have dick nixon to kick around any more
29th - karl endures another session of primal fart therapy

May 1994:

1st- intercourse al fresco commences today
5th - :rip: ayrton senna
30th - al unser jr. wins the indy 500

June 1994:

5th - i did a stupid thing and crashed my beloved dirtmobile into a rr crossing sign. it still ran so i drove it for another 10 years or so
6th - snoopy, charging up omaha beach in his army helmet, carrying an m1 garand is shot through the neck and head. captioned 'lest we forget'
17th - oj simpson holding a six shooter to his head and quoting a cleavon little line from blazing saddles
25th - my son tripped over a phone cord and dislocated his elbow
26th - we ask the question, 'where do agoraphobics go for vacation?'

I'll do the second half later or maybe not i dunno

dee eight fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 13, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I was 11 years old in 1994. Thought it was pretty cool

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I think Santeria came out in 1994. That was a pretty good song

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think Santeria came out in 1994. That was a pretty good song

And the singer didn't even practice!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

And the singer didn't even practice!

didn't even have a crystal ball

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://x.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1756044069619499130?s=20
I take back everything I said about 1994.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Didn't even show any titties, worst Playboy spread ever!

Anyways, I feel like this is fairly representative of what 1994 was like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgpuXoFsOs

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

dee eight posted:

i was p much ignoring this thread until i realized i have a 1994 calendar that i used as a sort of journal at work in the sawmill. i can tell you about 1994 from my perspective. i drew a little cartoon in each square on days i worked and made comments about my idiot co-workers and also some of the poo poo that was happening in the world. i do note that on january 4th i sketched a millworker saying "kiss me, i'm gay. what are ya waitin' for?" and on the 21st, uncle buckle the safety buffalo is quoted as saying "if you have an osha recordable accident, i will kill you."

January birthdays noted are somebody named walt on the 5th, wolfie mozart on the 27th. actor claude akins took his final bow in january 94 :rip:

February 1994:

5th - a picture of a duck farting with the overwrought title DUCK FART!
6th - a portrait of capt. hazelwood of exxon valdez fame with the caption 'designated driver'
12th - rest in peace neil bonnet
13th - pouring one out for actor hal smith best known for his iconic role as otis campbell
21st - it appears that lake speed finished second at the daytona 500

March 1994:

2nd - last shift in reman, goin back to the sander
4th - flag at half staff for john candy, lean mean fightin' machine
11th - a man wearing a t-shirt printed with "I :h: my tapeworm" says "A day without Miller* is like a day without intestinal parasites."
20th - a rather wretched looking rabbit celebrates the equinox with a poem: spring has sprung, the grass has rizz, now i gotta take a wizz
27th - an unflattering portrait of marge schott who states, "who'd a thunk it! anarchists in the big leagues!"
29th - a weeping rhino informs us of the passing of eugene ionesco
30th - ed zern exits, laughing

*Dogshit Miller was a vile, smelly, rancid, sub-literate, racist goat farmer that worked at the mill. any day he wasn't there was a better day.

April 1994:

7th - the patron saint of weekends/days off, st. clarence, says "lay down thy burden, and take off the shoes from they feet, for the blessed weekend is upon us"
22nd - we don't have dick nixon to kick around any more
29th - karl endures another session of primal fart therapy

May 1994:

1st- intercourse al fresco commences today
30th - al unser jr. wins the indy 500

June 1994:

5th - i did a stupid thing and crashed my beloved dirtmobile into a rr crossing sign. it still ran so i drove it for another 10 years or so
6th - snoopy, charging up omaha beach in his army helmet, carrying an m1 garand is shot through the neck and head. captioned 'lest we forget'
17th - oj simpson holding a six shooter to his head and quoting a cleavon little line from blazing saddles
25th - my son tripped over a phone cord and dislocated his elbow
26th - we ask the question, 'where do agoraphobics go for vacation?'

I'll do the second half later or maybe not i dunno

This is really cool, please post the second half when you can! It's such a close-up view, very unique and fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

May 1994

This is awesome! Big request if you can find the time: Can you scan or take a picture of this day's entry? It would mean a lot to me, thanks either way. Loved this list and would love to see the second half.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

O hell I skipped July. Sorry.

August 1994 is noted as "Global Community Month" so I made each day more or less thematic

3rd - the last living ww1 flying ace, Sven Olaffson, informs us "Dem fokkers vas Canadian"
4th - I think I'm turning Japanese
5th - Hey Fritz, what's German for penis? Schmitz
10th - hombre dressed in sombrero and serape says "Jappy to be jere"
11th - Miller states "Je m'appelle merde du chien"
12th - jay silverheels asks, "Why don't you honkies go back to Europe where you belong?"
13th - Goin down to Yasgur's farm, gonna join in a rock 'n' roll band (woodstock anniversary i guess)
18th - two Cubans in a floating garbage can labeled S.S. Batista "How much further to Miami?" and "Lucy, I'm home"
19th - dreadlock'd rasta man says "Roll me a great big spleef, mon!"
20th- :rip: Linus Pauling
21st - Tierra del Fuego? Hell, I thought this was Duluth!
26th - a fellow in a tam and kilt laments "Hoot, mon, a weasel bit m' sporan!"
27th - an African gentleman sings for us, "We don't smoke marijuana in Nairobi. We don't take our trips on LSD"
28th - After months of therapy, Karl was finally in touch with his inner Mongolian
29-30-31 is a panorama of diversity, and they sing a song* for us - "I'd like to give the world a hug, and tell it jokes and stuff. Then pull its pants down to its shoes and chase it through the rough. I'd tie it up with bonds and straps and check its purse for change, then leave it out at Moosegrin Hall with my cousin who's deranged"

*to the tune of "i'd like to buy the world a coke", lyrics from national lampoon magazine used without permission

I dunno about scans/pics. I'll see what I can do but no promises

dee eight fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 10, 2024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

~Coxy posted:

I didn't have much interest in sports or school elections.

I appreciate this post

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

dee eight posted:

August
27th - an African gentleman sings for us, "We don't smoke marijuana in Nairobi. We don't take our trips on LSD"

well gently caress Nairobi then. wack.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
That sounds like Okie from Nairobi

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
most places smelled like poptarts, op

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

dee eight posted:

You’re about to get cancelled for something you doodled 30 years ago.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

excuse me posting my own baby picture but I wanted to show some nice 1994 living room furniture.

I like how you can see my dad's clock radio on the end table next to the couch and this weird blue cow pillow pillow, visual evidence that my parents stopped sharing the same bed immediately after my birth :ohdear:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Szyznyk posted:

You’re about to get cancelled for something you doodled 30 years ago.

i can apologize for my past self, but i won't bowdlerize my own history

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Pasketti posted:

excuse me posting my own baby picture but I wanted to show some nice 1994 living room furniture.

I like how you can see my dad's clock radio on the end table next to the couch and this weird blue cow pillow pillow, visual evidence that my parents stopped sharing the same bed immediately after my birth :ohdear:

cool pic of you but who is the baby on the left?

heh gottem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

testing: ah crap sideways i'm not good with computer

Only registered members can see post attachments!