Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nobody local is going to care about what you can or cannot play at Warhammer World tournaments.

I don't think I'm going to have my beastmen done by the 20th but I can be day one Dark Elves and not having to buy an army book is really more of a perk.

FWIW, people were using the 6e Chaos Dwarf list through 8th edition. "Not being supported" doesn't mean much in WHFB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They've definitely learned their lesson.

The monkey cheese was Kirby era bullshit intended to agitate legacy players, which is goddamn bonkers from every angle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I do have some worries with TOW, primarily that GW seems to have a tendency to introduce a fun new game, weakly support it for a year or two, and then simply stop producing updates at a reasonable clip.

I actually think ToW might benefit from a more hands-off approach than something like KT or 40k that requires live updating.

We're getting all the army lists up front, it's a bottled historical setting, and except for the variant army book journals there's really nothing ToW "needs" to be complete.

GW tends to over-support things beyond what's necessary, like Necromunda's book boat. Part of that is the notion that games are dead if they're not being artificially propped up, but people were playing WHFB long after the plug was pulled.

Balance updates would be nice, but it'd be great if they stop when they're done.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I had a lot of fun with Kings of War right up until they announced a new edition. All local interest died overnight, which is a shame.

I wish those PDF lists were out already, or at least a list of what units the Chaos Dwarfs get. The discounted to $99 AoS starter has a bunch of hobgoblins and grimy orcs, which gets you most of the way there.

E: and I have enough of the first gen plastic Chaos Warriors to get the rest of the way. Thanks to scale creep, they're Dwarf sized today...

moths fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 9, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

I really want to know the rough timeline for the next few armies, especially wood elves.

Dwarf dice have been photographed, so they're probably next in line.

If Battle for Skull Pass gets a MTO, that means Dwarfs vs Orcs & Goblins.

It seems that they'd do Wood elves vs Beastmen, and Empire vs Chaos. But it's anybody's guess if they'll keep with thematic pairings.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:siren: SQUIG HERDS ARE CORE :siren:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's a pretty safe bet IMO.

As demonstrated as recently as Legions Imperialis, GW is excruciatingly reluctant to release rules for things they don't produce models for. (There are big holes in the army lists where not yet available figures should be.) A third party can scoop them, and not even a C&D is a guaranteed fix in that case.

Chaos Dwarfs getting rules was a big surprise, but enough of a signal that I picked up some AoS hobgoblins and Krule Boyz.

There's also apparently four new vanguard boxes for 2024 and AoS4, one is Stormcasts but the other three are unknown.

It'd be amazing if Chorfs v Krule Boyz is the 4th starter, but I doubt that's in Hashut's plan.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just hope they come out better than that Warcry goofball.

Or another bait and switch like the Horns of Hashut. WTF guys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really don't get worrying that ToW will be under-suppoted. WHFB still had a community after GW trying to kill it for a decade, it's going to do just fine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's also a bit of a bummer that you can't get an arachnarok and a giant in the same 2,000 point army. But to be fair, that is kind of wanting the moon on a stick.

I don't have the book yet, but could you use the Arachnarok as a Goblin Shaman mount and still have the Giant at 2000 points?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How do they look mixed with the previous generation of static pose warriors?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Anyways, I was able to find this:

Oh that's excellent, these guys all look close enough to be same generation really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Years ago I tried to give AoS a shot and got the bloodbound blood bros of Khorne - the warriors would make fantastic marked Chosen, but the Marauders need a hand swap to be marked Marauders since they can't have extra hand weapons.

AoD Slaanesh has some great marked chosen as well, but they're very expensive kits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A block of spears with five repeater crossbows on either side sounds like a lot of dark elf fun.

Although that's definitely a "wait for the full book" thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I still can't believe Cubicle 7 went straight into a multi volume mega-campaign where each volume also has a companion book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What's weird?

I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine it's a baseline Empire list that will get broken up into the three States whenever they get the journal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Agreed that it's a fluff fit but hoo boy is that going to be dogshit to run.

Witch hunters finally get rules?!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It makes a lot more sense that some of the ranges are flagged "legacy" - there's no way they could do this for every WHFB range.

Although I bet we're going to see the unreleased plastic Dwarf Lord.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Could any kind soul who actually has the rulebooks tell us what they do? I have read through the DE legacy PDF, and bought a load of secondhand models off a nice chap on the Goonhammer Discord. Now I crave knowledge.

They're pretty OK!
Repeater crossbow 24" S3 AP- ArmourBane(1), Multiple Shots (2)

The repeater handbow has half range and quick shot instead of armorbane, and the Brace has multiple shots (4)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any reason to put archers in greater than minimum unit sizes? It feels like you're better off running them in tiny units to maximize frontage.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thanks! Seems like for Corsairs, the handbows are more defensive (because if charged, Stand & Shoot will normally be better than extra melee attacks which you might not get against high initiative chargers) and the hand weapons are more offensive (because you are overwhelmingly likely to get the attacks in when you charge, and you can't shoot on those turns).

Yeah it kinda sucks that they lose Murderous with a second weapon, but the second weapon is better in nearly every circumstance.

Elven reflexes suggests there isn't much with better initiative, so it might help in receiving a charge as well.

hoiyes posted:

Can you still take mixed city guard units of dark elves or are they just listed together for convenience? Also, seems odd to give the Murderous rule to Witch Elves and Executioners when it only applies to users of a single regular hand weapon, which quite famously neither of those do.

There's some discussion over whether WElves and executioners can opt to fight with only a single hand weapon and use Murderous. Executioners have hand weapons on their profile, and Witch Elves have them twice.

I can't imagine why you'd do it, but there's at least one circumstance where it seems better than a second attack: The one assassin poison gives a 4+ wound, and Murderous rerolls 1s, which means only two die faces fail to would. One extra attack would be nice, but that combo benefits all his attacks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

City Guard were, I think, from a white dwarf or maybe the same 6e(?) revision hotfix patch that broke poison. It was just the first rank with crossbows, but spearmen would step up and take the bows if they died.

There was even a conversion from the big catalog!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Perhaps it's an editing oversight, like it used to be something different, got changed, and they left it on certain units? Seems to be Khainite-specific.

I suspect that it applied to everything until they playtested it.

Nobody with it can never use it - I can't imagine why you would ever take it over a extra hand weapon swing though, if that's an option. And it makes options like corsair handbows a little more appealing.

It's probably great for second+ rounds for Cold One riders, after the lances break.

I'd love to see some developer chats, but I think they're burying the legacy lists for now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Good thoughts, but Corsairs and Cold One Knights don't get the special rule! If you mean characters armed in that way, yes technically.

Oh poo poo! For some reason I thought it was an army-wide rule, but you're totally right - just characters and a handful of units get it.

B-person posted:

Please let me know if this does not belong here, but the launch of WHOW(?) made me nostalgic and I dug up my old Dark Elves army from my parents place.

I think 5th edition? It's almost all metal, I had forgotten how heavy the old models used to be.

Bonus pic of my old GW carrying case:

Hell yeah! These are the 4/5th edition Marauder sculpts that Trish and Aly Morrison did.

They're bigger than the 6/7 Juan Diaz ones, but in scale with a lot of the 8th and AoS figures.

Plus, you can also dig into the metal 3e Dark Eldar line for some unique additions. I'm using the old Wytches as Sisters of Slaughter and their Beast Masters with the Hydra, for example. I'm pretty sure I can make Doomfire Warlocks out of the skyboarders, but no luck yet...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

From what I've been told, GW closed the warehouse for safety over the last week's northeastern snowstorm. (The weather wasn't as bad as expected, but it was the right call IMO.)

Distribution is still goofed up, but hopefully we'll start seeing it today or tomorrow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I am so happy to see those! They're seriously my favorite models.

Here's some of mine, I'm very proud of how they've come out:

This is actually the UNDEAD! manticore with a Marauder Dark Elf Cavalry officer.

I made a decision to rebase the unpainted stuff first, and I've got a thousand points ready to go already.

It's not a good list, but the local Warhammer has a 1000 intro thing tomorrow so I'm going to see how far shooting and spells will get me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm being to suspect that some LGS management is leaning into GW's reputation to explain some goofs on their own part.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Some nerds are talking about 20 wide 1 deep formations to cheese the wrap-arounds and I'm glad we're living in an era of updates and FAQs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A lot of people are bemoaning the loss of Skaven Slaves as an entry, but it was necessary to delete the implication that there are any free Skaven.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Pegasus is Morathi, Queen of the dark elves. The blistered Skaven is an old named character, the bat-wing helmet human goes with the skeleton horse, the top guy is a chaos sorcerer, and the musical dark elves are a command group for Black Guard.

I'd love to get that two headed dragon if you're in the US. It's Galrauch, who inexplicably goes for $30 - $140 on eBay.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Something that gets lost in theory-hammer is that your gimmick is only going to be a surprise one time. By the time this happened, that Tau player has likely had hours to plan a counter.

I made a stupid discovery today and the AoS dawnbringer flesh-eater-court and a box of 20 ghouls adds up to a thousand points of vampire counts. (Using the character as a Striogi.)
:drac:

I'm curious if four 10-strong packs of ghouls can make their points back, but I'm going to find out.

If I can find Ghouls in stock anywhere. Jeez.

E: Fear is written, "If a unit is engaged with an enemy unit that both causes Fear and has a higher Unit Strength ..." (emphasis mine.) Does that mean multiple fear-causing units can't add up?

So 10 elves guys getting charged by 10 ghouls and then 10 more in the same turn don't make a check?

moths fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 4, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's true, but what I'm asking is: Do the Elves even need to check?

Because neither opposing Ghoul unit has a greater Unit Strength, it looks like the answer is no.

Which only gets sillier if a third unit of ghouls charges in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Suppose they're lined up ten across and one deep, just for the purposes of this exercise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't know if Skirmisher was ever like this before, but now it's optional:

"A unit consisting of models with this special rule may adopt a Skirmish formation, as described on page 184." (Emphasis mine.)

hoiyes posted:

Ghouls have Reserve move, so they can move a second time in the shooting phase. They seem like perfect troops for the flanks, as they get no benefit from the Hellish Vigor spell your more highest level mage probably has.

Van Hel's can give them +1D3 M, which synergizes with their reserve move and Move Through Cover, making them ridiculously mobile. If skirmishing, they'll generally form a fighting rank two bigger than their target.

Fell Bats also seems like a missile: Hellish Vigor, 10" fly, and Swiftstride gives them a 20"+2d6 threat range (max 29") - ignoring terrain!

E: i goofed - charge doesn't get a reserve move, but I forgot to add it above so I two-wronged it into being correct.

moths fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 4, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Robviously posted:

Having just realized that Dark Elves get Chaos as Allies and now I'm giddy all over again. I loved the Cult of Slaanesh army list they put out for Storm of Chaos, time to rebuild a little bit of that.

That was such a fantastic list, and AoS putting Morathi - head of Slaanesh's cult of pleasure - on Team Order was one of the things that made me realize they maybe didn't "get" Warhammer.

No way to take daemons though, I don't think.

Storm of Chaos was the best. All-Slayer all stars deserves to still be around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

Yeah honestly I think both AoS and Warhammer Fantasy are worse off being connected. AoS should have been allowed to go nuts with its weird grim version of He-man without having to be tied to Fantasy's characters.

:agreed:

It also sabotaged AoS from the start by making it mutually exclusive with the Old World. It never had a chance to stand on its own legs as a parallel high-fantasy deep-warp meta setting akin to Lovecraft's Dreamlands.

It was "Nope that's all loving gone, ride a pretend pony or GTFO."

There's actually a lot more they could have done with a parallel line. Lovecraft's ghouls were capable of tunneling between the Dreamlands and reality, which could easily map to the Skaven. Just the concept of the Realms of Magic is inherently more interesting than "the ruins of branding and repurposed IP."

Then it's OK to just have Khorne dudes fighting in the spirit realm. Instead of the Blood-battles of the Bloody Bloodcaked bloodsmashers' bloodblades.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's still unbelievable that it took two years to establish whether or not the flagship faction had faces.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think that's what had people disappointed with the reissue of old kits - there's nothing wrong with old models, but the current AoS line is phenomenal.

IMO, this is actually a really exciting time for the game since there's literally no meta. Everybody's just throwing out craziness to see what sticks, and it feels like the game is balanced enough to handle it all.

I've been playing around with Ghoul lists and available models landed on a Striogi King, 3x ten-ghoul packs, 2x Crypt Horror units, and an unridden Terrorgheist at 1000 points. Will it be fun? Awful? Who knows! The only way to find out is to play it.

It also looks like I was wrong about Skirmish being optional - it says they may adopt a Skirmish formation, but unless the unit also has close or open order, that's the only formation they may adopt.

Baby steps.

Also I tried out a scheme on this month's free mini:

The shoulder seam looks like a weird jawline, I need to putty that on future guys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Even the straight up evil factions existed in a way that made some sense. The Marauder tribes of the North were Chaos prone because they lived near the hole in the ozone layer Chaos Gates and it influenced their culture. The Dark Elves' and Skaven's insane cultures were satirical mirrors of the United States and fascism respectively. Chaos Dwarfs were an anachronistic cut-and-paste of bronze age Assyrians.

Even the Vampire Counts were a nod to medieval feudalism, where the peasants had bigger concerns than affairs of state.

You could easily imagine life existing in these places because, largely, it already had in the real world.

Chaos and Orcs were the exception, but fantasy literature is full of examples of despoiler nations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Flames of War famously had a Warriors entry, which included named characters of WW2. I never actually got to try FoW, but I remember one of the forces I tried to build was inexplicably locked behind a particular Soviet officer and his attache.

I never, ever cared for using unique characters. It's fine for something like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, but these are my guys.

It's pretty great that they're distancing from that in ToW. And yes I'm prepared to be disappointed when it all comes flooding back in the first General's Handbook.

If they've still got molds for Teclis and the Von Carsteins, we're going to get those characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's worth noting that you can't bring those things in Allied detachments unless you've got a thousand points of allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

p280 posted:

An allied contingent is effectively a miniature army in its own right. Accordingly, an allied contingent must abide by the army composition rules and the percentages given for the army composition list used to create it

They could have been more explicit IMO but "0-1 per thousand points" is a composition rule for the list used to create the allied contingent.