Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I need to get my hands on this graphic novel

This makes me vaguely mad

Like in whose fever dreams would a MAGA nation have the wherewithal to construct statues and federal buildings. I have trouble imagining them figuring out how to run air traffic control for a complete 24 hours

That https://web.archive.org/web/20070602151344/http://www.e-sheep.com/spiders/ comic was good though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hazo posted:

The FXX channel will occasionally commemorate holidays or world events by showing a Simpsons marathon where all of the episodes are connected by a theme relevant to the holiday.

Today their episodes are all about Homer being slovenly and morbidly obese

Makes u think

I hope it was called Faturday

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it just me or does $370 million not even sound like very much? Maybe it's because of Alex Jones and Fox News getting slapped with billion-dollar judgments and not even blinking.

He's calling it a "fine" and a "charge" lmao. Like whoopsy poopsy, sorry officer I'll drive my company a little slower in school zones from now on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Only way a George Santos movie happens is if he is played by George Santos

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BINGO2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

B-Rock452 posted:

Its been going on for a while and it works. Those fuckers stopped protesting drag brunches/shows cause people started showing up all kitted up.

"Uhhh actually the 2nd Amendment is bad, we always were in favor of gun control :bahgawd:"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Song: *to Aladdin's mother* "Proud of your boy"

Morons: "This song is about boys who are proud"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

canyoneer posted:

It's all nonsense but lol at the WAR score. Biden, who famously did not end any wars and started so many new ones

there's WAR now and there wasn't WAR under Trump, facts don't care a bout ur feelings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

digital penitence posted:

Lol why is it always the boogeyman Aunt Tifa?

gently caress AN TEE FUH!!! :byodood:

Is this :airquote: An Tee Fuh :airquote: in the room with us right now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stoatbringer posted:

Omg will he ever stop whining?

quote:

"Will you stop counting!" snarled Zaphod.
"Yes," said Ford Prefect, "in three minutes and thirty-five seconds."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Picturing him slowly and solemnly turning the page like the guy in the middle of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A LAAHHT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fellon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

Arguably, 2020 popularized vote by mail, for reasons, and it will be affect Dems more going forward.

The question I have is, what happens when VBM is eliminated. Does that energize Dems to go out in person because more of them were appreciative of VBM?

It's one thing to look at VBM-vs-in-person R/D patterns when both are available, but if VBM gets banned then all bets are off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CannonFodder posted:

What you say!!

ha ha ha ha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Buce posted:

he's just vaguely remembering that part of Congo The Film where they kill monkeys with a laser beam. just random neurons firing, firrng, frignnnenn, ffrrrfrrr

Africa! And not just Africa, *pauses to remember words* the Congo! The Africa-est part of Africa! You know what I mean. THE CONGO!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Escape From Noise posted:

Can't stop The Dersh!

Just posting through it!

My god these loving children

Insurrection NO U U'RE THE INSURRECTION!! WHAT'S AN INSURRECTION??

You accuse us of photoshopping people to have dark skin and big noses? WELL U DID IT TOO! I THINK?? MAYBE IT'S JUST A BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO I DUNNO SHUT UP U'RE THE RACISTS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He will be President Trump for the next 1000 years

the office of the presidency will become a hereditary stewardship, until it ends in fire

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A century of sci-fi and allegorical fiction authors: HEY. HEEEEY. HAS NOBODY BEEN LISTENING

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remembering that Mike Pence's wife (/mother) invented "towel charms"

little metal pins in the shape of butterflies or snails or whatever that you would pin to your towels so you can tell whose is whose

Because what I enjoy when toweling off after a shower is scraping a sharp decorative metal pin across my nads

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jelly posted:

As lovely as everything is now and as much as it hosed me up mentally I still pause and think that maybe it's best that we tested these boundaries with a dumbass ringleader like Trump, rather than a cult leader with the actual prowess and intelligence to get the job done. Assuming he doesn't ultimately succeed.

Maybe it will give us the introspection as a country to establish more boundaries beyond an honor system.

lol jk

I remember watching V For Vendetta and feeling vaguely insulted, talked-down-to, by the unsubtlety of the metaphor. I mean hell the guy's loving name was Adam Sutler lmao. And all I could think at the time was okay, W is a dumbass and these wars are doing more harm than good, but this is not an incipient Nazi Germany we're in, just look around us. The pop culture conversation is lively and two-sided, and nobody would dream of actually setting fire to our institutions over ideology. An on-the-nose allegory like this only serves to cry wolf. Couldn't happen here.

Fast forward a few years and welp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

thanks, I'll give it a go, though on desktop it doesn't make it as obvious that some are videos

Can I just say that I prefer the previous style of tweet linking + screenshotting because if you do it all in one like this, it means the embed doesn't work and you have to click through to hellsite to watch the video. Or quote the text, etc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neito posted:

I think it's interesting, to use this as a jumping-off point, that this has started to spread to other conspiracies. Prior to this, especially in the 90s with the Militia stuff and even in the 2000s with Loose Change, conspiracies were about action, in some form: those in power cannot be trusted, and it's up to Us, those in the know, the awakened, to protect the sheeple and fight against the Conspirators.

Post-Q conspiracies seem to almost be the oposite; that by Doing Nothing, by Trusting the Plan, we can bring about the revolution. "Bitcoin can make me rich", "Q and Trump will save the world", "Ryan Cohen is going to help us usher in a brand new economy helmed by apes". It's a weird change, and I'm not sure what it means beyond that, but it's interesting.

I think it may just be laziness. Americans have always had a lazy streak a mile wide, it's the get-rich-quick mentality that we've had since the first colonists rode the unclaimed-land-in-the-new-world, buy-yourself-a-slave, free-land-in-oklahoma, gold-in-california waves that have come in succession decade after decade after decade.

This country was founded on the idea that the Good Life is out there somewhere, free for the taking, if you only know where to look. Framed differently, it's the idea that the Good Life is only being withheld from you because you're not privy to whatever secret information is letting the Joneses next door get it. So Americans love to look for the One Weird Trick that has been eluding them ever since they first got bamboozled into homesteading in the land of milk and honey by a floridly-printed handbill in Kansas City and ended up eating their loving family on a frozen lake in the Sierras.

Today what that looks like is playing the stock market. It's hawking NFTs. It's running an Etsy shop. It's Alcor, that company that will freeze your brain in liquid nitrogen until someday we invent a way to revive you. All you have to do is put in a modest sum of cash into this interest-bearing account *coughthatwecontrolcough* and don't worry, in ten thousand years it will have ballooned into untold billions and you will awaken into a life of unimaginable riches. It's easy! Just sign here.

Political action used to mean going out in the streets and protesting, fighting, resisting, dying. In the age of social media it's memeing. Facebook grandpas and grandmas think they've uncovered the arcane secrets of the Internet that we all figured out at age 17, and while most of us have outgrown the sense of novelty and the idea of endless possibilities inherent in a connected, always-on, instantaneous world and have become inured to the pernicious tendencies of those very same technological wonders, the olds and the dullards are still enraptured by it. They still think they can change the world by posting how they're thinking about thos Beans;.

So they find their weird little online cliques. They wend their way to 5.9chan and that subreddit from the hashtag on someone's pickup truck, and they trick themselves into thinking they've got their e-ticket because all their cool online friends think so too. They have their injokes, their running bits, their exclusionary language, their made-up slurs for outsiders. And most of all they think that by typing in the little text box they're fighting a war.

They elected Trump because he promised to make them rich. Well, not in so many words, but they KNEW he would. He's Donald Trump! How can he NOT make everyone rich? He obviously knows how! And if we support him, if we type enough words into the text box, if we post enough AI memes of him, if we send $45 to his campaign (Jim? wasn't that a one-time donation? Why did they charge us again this month?) surely he'll recognize me as one of his greatest supporters! I'll have it made in the shade! The Joneses, psshh, what idiots. They have no idea. Look at them over there, in their backyard laughing, grilling, kids jumping on the trampoline. I hate them so much

True that prior millenial cults required some commitment to action. You'd better have been prepared to die when the Hale-Bopp comet came by, or when the Rev passed around the cups of Flavor-Aid. You knew that going in. But today all that is irrelevant. All you have to do is :justpost: and TRUST THE PLAN :nsa: But I don't think it's anything particularly new in the DNA of the country. Just the synthesis of our twin tendencies to look for the quick fix, and to believe comforting, flattering, unsourced anecdotes over inconvenient data.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

redshirt posted:

Here's a headline from the WaPo that succinctly sums up the modern GOP:

"Republican governors in 15 states reject summer food money for kids"

Free money from the Feds to feed kids from low income families and these GOP gov's said nope.

Never forget, cruelty is part of the point.

Must not allow anything good to happen while Democrats are in charge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Last Call posted:

Kinda hilarious. Kinda sad.

I wouldn't say these are among the best dreams I've ever had though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Time_pants posted:

I said to my chud dad after they impeached Donald Trump that every single President for the rest of our lives is going to be impeached if their party holds a minority in the House. He 100% agreed with me, and in hindsight I'm starting to wonder if he knew something I didn't.

Suppose we were starting up a brand new country, today. Like we just won the Revolutionary War and we have exactly the same population we do today, and now we have to write a Constitution.

How the gently caress do we establish sane rules. What do they look like.

Even if you proposed specific Constitutional language that spells out precisely what the President is not allowed to do and whether he can be criminally prosecuted and whether he can pardon himself, and sets up guardrails for all the dumb nod-and-a-wink stuff that the last eight years have demonstrated NOT to be something we can just trust to decorum and tradition to keep within the lines, that we actually need to specifically say "no you may not try to strong-arm our strategic national allies to help with your political campaign or keep stolen national security documents in the bathroom of your mansion" —

How would you ever get enough agreement out of this population to sign off on it?

How did it ever get hammered out in the first place?

Has something irreparably broken in our populace, to make us this much more irrational, this much more obstinate and unwilling to compromise on even the tiniest of things if it threatens our grip on power or our all-encompassingly-important Being Reelected? Were we always this childish and petty and venal and nakedly corrupt, and the Founders had some amazing ace up their sleeve that we've just forgotten about despite every attempt to perpetuate it as a broadway musical?

I guess what I'm asking is, if we had it to do over again... the question isn't "what would we do differently", but "COULD we even do it at all??"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As well try to convince America that you deserve to live if you can't "pay your way".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, exactly. Part of this is pretending 'earning a living' in the age of rampant automation and consolidation of jobs makes no sense anymore - fewer people are doing more, often with less. The issue is that instead we're focused on saving absolutely lovely and awful jobs versus actually focusing on combating the idea that maybe we should just enable people to live just for existing rather than 'earning' it.

Social programs like UBI and stimulus packages directly benefit companies because people spend that money, unlike when we bail out companies and they just sit on the cash or payout executive bonuses and do stock buybacks that benefit only themselves.

America being "land of the free" was supposed to make us all rich and eliminate drudgery, bringing us leisure. Instead we became a nation of insane workaholics who shame anyone who can't take part in the system and sneer at Europeans who work less than we do

The techno revolution was supposed to make us all rich and eliminate drudgery, bringing us leisure. Instead we became a nation of screen-tappers and computer maintenance workers, literally the "your duty is clear: to build and maintain those robots" from the Simpsons

Can't wait to see what's next

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Three Olives posted:

commander and chief

Commander-in-chief

cashing in my yearly pedantry token allotment early

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never ceases to amaze me that he thinks just saying the magic words one more time, or in person, is what will make everyone suddenly start clapping and ticker tape to fall from the skies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hazo posted:

Saw this on Elon’s latest post lying about kids being kicked out of school so illegal supersoldiers could move in (the kids went to e-learning for a day so migrant families going through the legal immigration process could stay there for a few hours, because they were living in a shelter threatened by dangerous weather).

From the desk of some insane racist NY congresswoman:

“Schools were never meant to be shelters or facilities for emergency housing.”

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/Public-Safety/Hurricane-Evacuation-Centers-Map-/ayer-cga7

I was on a call with coworkers earlier today (it's a small gaggle of shithead techbros constantly talking about crypto and finance) and someone mentioned this story, it was like chumming the water.

"So there was a shelter out on the airfield where they're housing all these migrants, and the tent they were all under started getting whipped away in the wind, so they moved them all to a school gym. And the kids all went remote for the day!"
"Hahaha, welcome to New York!"
"loving unbelievable"
"Your tax dollars at work"
"Absolute loving idiots, haha"

I muttered something like "Yeah I guess they could have just left them on the runway huh" and they kind of subsided and changed the subject, but I wouldn't be surprised if my tenure there is not gold-watch-retirement tier

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jelly posted:

dude

and its increasingly funny that Trump still obviously has absolutely no idea what the trial is actually about and is just the maddest he's ever been in his life at his perception that his property is being devalued

What I want to know, what I will feel incomplete until the DAY I DIE if I don't fully get closure on understanding, is whether Trump actually thinks that the whole trial is a sham and all he has to do is get the Good Word out to the masses about ELECTION INTERFERENCE and WITCH HUNT and they'll finally all see the light, or if he's fully aware of how hosed he is and knows he just has to put on a show and this is what works

Incompetence or malice, it's easy to say "both" but really it's gotta be one or the other

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys are all just plagiarizing a bit from the IoSM thread when that Hbomberguy video was circulating lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LordSloth posted:

Huh, that jacket just disappears into the backdrop, making her shoulders disappear like some sort of optical illusion. It gives me the impression of her neck being about twice as long as it is.

Something seemed a little off from previous appearances, but it was just a trick of my eyes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Interesting that he spells Defense the British way

You'd think autocorrect would catch that

Lol yeah I caught that too. What the hell is he talking about, the SecDef going missing? *googling* he had prostate surgery and tried to keep it on the downlow? SAD!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Total Party Kill posted:

An extinction level event like an asteroid could be speeding towards earth and all Republicans would be able to think would be, 'boy, I hope it hits while a Democrat is in office.'

gently caress I hate America.

Covid: exists during Trump term

Republicans: ELECTION INTERFERENCE :byodood:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LuckyCat posted:

Lol that Trump is not-so-subtly signaling to his base that the AG should be killed, and nothing will happen about it lmao.

Oh something might happen all right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

LMAO

God all of these dipshits think they the Big Brain from Futurama

I mean they kind of are

ME THE BIG BRAIN AM WINNING AGAIN. I AM THE GREETEST! ELECTION INTERFERENCE!! I WILL NEVER LEAVE FOR ANY RAISIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shishkahuben posted:

Chuds are getting a little too friendly toward reporters who loving hate them and it's kinda nice to see one get slapped for it. Let the gently caress apologize before he gets more airtime.

Remembering when Mike Pompeo told that NPR reporter "I bet you have no idea where Ukraine is on a map" and she was like "It's right there" and he was like "Get the gently caress out of my office"