Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

abolish all conferences except the Big Ten West

Give me Midweek MACtion or give me death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Give me Midweek MACtion or give me death

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So they're just gonna roll with this, huh? Do they still have a contract with the Rose Bowl? Are they gonna play each other for a championship game?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

So they're just gonna roll with this, huh? Do they still have a contract with the Rose Bowl? Are they gonna play each other for a championship game?

I suspect the plan is to do this until the MWC’s current deal is up in the near future, then expand.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dirty shrimp money posted:

It's better than being forced onto digital TV subchannels or something like Pluto TV. I mean they're going to float on the remains of the Pac 12 for a while anyway and the CW is at least a linear network that most if not all of the country receives.

The CW is a digital sub channel in a lot of smaller markets, though I don’t think that distinction between the game being on channel 23.1 or 7.2 is really a big deal either way.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

OTA broadcast supremacy. Silver lining of the PAC2 will be finally being able to watch the Cougs and Beavers, in HD, for free.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
realignment sucks :(

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
NCAA trying to get prop betting on college sports banned

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1772985307824107882

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mike_V posted:

Here's why: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jontay-porter-gambling-investigation-explained-what-we-know-as-nba-looks-into-prop-bet-irregularities/

Basically a whole bunch of suspicious bets came in on a random player for the prop bet unders. Supposedly, these unders hit as the player may / may not have faked eye injuries and did random crap to make sure he'd hit his own under.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I know a lot of folks are understandably very tired of how much sports gambling is being pushed. While I think it's fine to have some sports gambling without affecting the integrity of the sport, prop bets probably should be banned. Not optimistic about that happening, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol at trying to do this with loving Jontay Porter. Like any bet on him isn't going to immediately set off alarms.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://x.com/_patricksimpson/status/1772987676267782453?s=46&t=ViqKE2LhdbxAUy0S6bMmtA
:(

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dance McPants posted:

OTA broadcast supremacy. Silver lining of the PAC2 will be finally being able to watch the Cougs and Beavers, in HD, for free.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It’s nice to be the one team that gained a legit, immediate rivalry by moving conferences. It does feel a little wrong not playing Tech and Baylor anymore, but I’ll take the tradeoff for A&M, the restarting of the SWC era Arky rivalry, and the marquee names of the SEC coming to town every so often.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Truther Vandross posted:

lol at trying to do this with loving Jontay Porter. Like any bet on him isn't going to immediately set off alarms.

missouri tiger jontay porter!! league once again cracking down when mizzou athletics involved

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Mike_V posted:

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1772985307824107882

ESPN's not gonna like that, which means we should expect to see new noise from the SEC about breaking away from the NCAA any day now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State filled their last open slot for 2025 with FIU, for an OOC slate of Nevada, Villanova, and FIU. One gigantic rotating :geno: here.

2024 at least has WVU to offset Bowling Green and Kent State, but it doesn't get better from there. Temple, Marshall, and Buffalo for 2026; Syracuse, Temple, and Delaware for 2027; and Ball State and Syracuse for 2028. There's an open spot in 2028 and with Cuse as the "marquee" game, I'm not holding my breath for anyone good or at least interesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has the Big Ten softened its rules on non conference schedules? I seem to remember no FCS and at least one “power” opponent being encouraged.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Has the Big Ten softened its rules on non conference schedules? I seem to remember no FCS and at least one “power” opponent being encouraged.

That was forever ago. MSU has played Richmond and Youngstown State recently.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sash! posted:

Penn State filled their last open slot for 2025 with FIU, for an OOC slate of Nevada, Villanova, and FIU. One gigantic rotating :geno: here.

2024 at least has WVU to offset Bowling Green and Kent State, but it doesn't get better from there. Temple, Marshall, and Buffalo for 2026; Syracuse, Temple, and Delaware for 2027; and Ball State and Syracuse for 2028. There's an open spot in 2028 and with Cuse as the "marquee" game, I'm not holding my breath for anyone good or at least interesting.

This post just popped into my head from a distant memory, no particular reason

Roasted Donut posted:

it's the most pathetic, embarrassing ooc schedule i've ever seen. complete loving cowardice and bullshit

sounds like they ain't gonna play nobody :smith:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
absolutely hate lame rear end out of conference scheduling like this. contemptuous trash that we're only going to see more of in the playoff era

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

It’s nice to be the one team that gained a legit, immediate rivalry by moving conferences. It does feel a little wrong not playing Tech and Baylor anymore, but I’ll take the tradeoff for A&M, the restarting of the SWC era Arky rivalry, and the marquee names of the SEC coming to town every so often.

I'm sorry but now that a Texas fan has admitted it's a rivalry A&M fans have won the "don't admit it's a rivalry" rivalry. The Golden Forum Post Trophy moves to College Station.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

With a 9 game conference schedule that has only gotten harder by introducing 3/4 power teams from the PAC (UCLA has a high ceiling but never gets over the hump), every team just wants that extra win for playoff consideration. It sucks for the sport.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Maxwells Demon posted:

I'm sorry but now that a Texas fan has admitted it's a rivalry A&M fans have won the "don't admit it's a rivalry" rivalry. The Golden Forum Post Trophy moves to College Station.

As dumb as I think that particular form of message board posturing is, you kinda gotta love a game where the hate between the teams is that pure and goes to such petty extremes. But it is exclusively on message boards, the fans in general have always wanted that game back. Even if both teams are bad the demand for tickets is probably going to be craziest Kyle Field has seen since the JFF v. Bama rematch. If the game has a chance of making or breaking a playoff bid for either team, it’s going to be flat out insane.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Is it really a foregone conclusion the playoff is going to weaken OOC schedules? Record is still going to be the #1 determiner of at-large bids, but there’s always multiple teams with 2 or 3 losses, and I’d think a marquee noncon game (assuming you win, of course) is the kind of thing that gets you over the top, especially when trying to decide between teams from the same conference who played mutual opponents.

Plus, the cost of losing a big noncon game can still be overcome by winning your conference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah, the crowd who predicted megaconferences would doom college football 5 years ago look more and more correct every week, but for Texas fans specifically, this worked out great.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Thermos H Christ posted:

As dumb as I think that particular form of message board posturing is, you kinda gotta love a game where the hate between the teams is that pure and goes to such petty extremes. But it is exclusively on message boards, the fans in general have always wanted that game back. Even if both teams are bad the demand for tickets is probably going to be craziest Kyle Field has seen since the JFF v. Bama rematch. If the game has a chance of making or breaking a playoff bid for either team, it’s going to be flat out insane.

I think I've said this before, but the "hate" really is limited to message boards; I went to the 2009 game at Kyle Field (where Colt played out of his mind) and there were plenty of Texas fans in our student section.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Judgy Fucker posted:

Is it really a foregone conclusion the playoff is going to weaken OOC schedules? Record is still going to be the #1 determiner of at-large bids, but there’s always multiple teams with 2 or 3 losses, and I’d think a marquee noncon game (assuming you win, of course) is the kind of thing that gets you over the top, especially when trying to decide between teams from the same conference who played mutual opponents.

Plus, the cost of losing a big noncon game can still be overcome by winning your conference.

This is how I feel. Like if you drop a big ooc game you're not out it at all. And with the big 2 confs getting stronger I bet conf losses for them don't hurt as much either. At least for at large bids.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, especially if ESPN or Fox dangles a bag in front of schools to get big games on the schedule.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I figure if the Power 2 break away and do their own thing, they just won't be able to play your Akrons anymore anyhow. The "non conference" games are a division from the other conference.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Losing the Texas Tech vs Texas A&M rivalry was one of the worst outcomes of the early days of realignment. They had the same big brother mindset "oh it's not a rivalry" but it was 37-32-1 after our last game. There's legit hate there. Like I can party with UT grads... I can't stand 90% of A&M grads.

We're getting a basketball home & home after playing an exhibition match against them this season. I hope this thawing eventually leads to a regular football game vs the aggies.

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is how I feel. Like if you drop a big ooc game you're not out it at all. And with the big 2 confs getting stronger I bet conf losses for them don't hurt as much either. At least for at large bids.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, especially if ESPN or Fox dangles a bag in front of schools to get big games on the schedule.

I feel like conference losses will hurt more than you'd think. Big XII has the best basketball conference top to bottom, an absolutely brutal schedule. Teams were seeded low (#4 and #5, TTU & BYU, were on the dreaded 6 seed lines, taking on the hottest team in the nation and a team that already had a game to settle in, respectively), and bubble teams were passed over (in part thanks to 4 bid thieves).

Same record, the SEC or Big Ten will always get the nod. They might be in the same tier with 1 extra loss. An SEC team with 4 losses will be passed over by a Big XII or ACC team with 2 losses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it would be great if the committee rewarded big opponent OOC losses for the playoff to a greater extent than beating Directional Michigan or whatever. I don't think they will, but if they really wanted to encourage tough nonconference scheduling they could very easily do so. If the line for an at-large bid is drawn that way, athletic departments will react.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I am just checking in. How are all y'alls QBs doing so far in Spring Ball SZN?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Nico is the greatest quarterback to have ever played the game

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sash! posted:

That's awful.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I haven’t looked but I’m sure he’s really improved and his personal QB coach has compared him to a great QB. Also defensive player is unblockable.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think he's still got some bits of sentient Pop-Tart he nibbles on from time to time to keep his edge.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That's awful.

I guess their plan for how to deal with losing a chunk of the western sideline during the renovations was "home games that people will skip."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Everyone's back up quarterback is the best quarterback in 10 to 25 years and should be the starter

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really hate that scheduling, especially the bullshit FCS schools (RIP being able to poke fun at Alabama and Georgia) but Franklin has been very vocal about how having an easier OOC game is more of an advantage than having tough OOC games. Now with the 12 team playoff that way of thinking may end up being out-of-date, but a loss vs a tough OOC school hurt your chances way more than a cakewalk win over an FCS school, and beating that tougher OOC game only seemed to really act as a tiebreaker most of the time.

I don't really have a problem with playing teams like Temple and/or Syracuse every once in a while because those are kind of regional/historical games, but I would love to see a WVU/Pitt type game most years. That WVU game last year was incredibly fun and it honestly seemed like the fans were much more into it than the Iowa whiteout. Also the tailgating was amazing because a ton of WVU fans showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

Everyone's back up quarterback is the best quarterback in 10 to 25 years and should be the starter

*Glances at Devin Brown, Lincoln Keinholz, Mason Maggs, and Chad Ray, shudders, whispers* Please don't die, Pop-Tart Man... Please don't be potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, or really any type of root vegetable, Sayin and Noland...