Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, Alabama is a small and poor state that doesn't have an insanely rich donor base flowing from an industry that pumps out insanely rich people, but they're also an institution in the sport and arguably the most recognizable college football program. Gonna be interesting to see what wins out here -- historical precedent or capitalist realities (made all the more imperative in the NIL era).

Historical precedent is that Alabama won 1 natty in the 25 years in between getting the best coach of their generation.

Raku posted:

Tbqh probably because his wife told him to

From all the stories about his wife, she seems more likely to be "you ain't gonna retire until you make sure the boys are all taken care of" type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

All this would’ve been avoided if the NCAA hadn’t held so tightly to fake amateurism. They made the kids scrap for any compensation whatsoever, lost badly, and now the floodgates are open.

There will be no roster stability until we get to some equilibrium with standardized compensation and employment contracts. It’s going to be hosed until then as the kids (and let’s face it, their families and agents) do everything they can to milk as much money out of the system as they can.

Yeah, a pretty simple solution would be the school and the players sign a piece of paper saying "I, student, promise to play football your school for 4 years in exchange, you, school, promise to give me $x". But apparently that's a horrible evil that would destroy the very fabric of america or whatever the gently caress bullshit the NCAA is spewing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah I'm not really fond of that, particularly when accounting for coaching and staffing changes

Obviously there's have to be details worked out for staff changes and normal non-sporting transfers, but we're talking 6-8 figure deals here. There's gotta be some protection on the school side and some consequences to the player for signing for big money if they are going to get the guaranteed cash.

NHL and MLB guys are signing their first pro deals at 18 so it's not an unheard of thing to have them sign real contracts.

It probably shouldn't be a one size fits all deal either. Like it's probably reasonable for a 5 star QBs signing for whatever the hell stud QBs are getting to have tighter restrictions than like a 3 star TE getting tuition and some spending money.

But the main thing is, if schools want kids to stay, they need to step up and take responsibility rather than pawing it off to collectives.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nothing short of "this is my last season and here is who is going to replace me" is going to work, and even then it's going to be everyone out of the pool.

As long as the current structure remains in place, it's going to be a free for all at the top level every offseason, especially if the legislation turns scholarships into single season contracts.

Seeing what happens to Michigan will be interesting. He's not officially heir apparent but I'm guessing Moore's working his rear end off trying to keep the team together and has a pretty good idea by now who's going and who's staying if he gets the job. And being able to walk into the AD's office and being able to tell them he can keep the exodus from happening would be a huge selling point for him.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dance McPants posted:

But extrapolating that to say the backups are better than other teams starters is a stretch. The depth is still there (for now) and as long as Moore stays it shouldn't be a total collapse. As was said before we got that natty so who cares, I'm fine with a dozen 7-10 win seasons after this.

I think the offence should be fine if Moore gets the keys, but if Minter follows Harbs, there's probably a few guys on D that were waiting for that decision. is there an internal promotion there that the guys would stay for?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

plus, Harbaguh wasn't exactly subtle about the NFL. If Michigan players didn't know this was a strong possibility, I dunno man

I know schools will find a way, but add/drop for most places has to be over by now. Can Michigan players even enroll at a new school right now?

Yeah, I'm guessing unlike schools where it was a surprise a lot of people probably already jumped while there were more options. Moore's also had a couple weeks to work on recruiting those on the fence. There's probably still going to be a few, but less than other schools. Also a few more guys on D will leave if Minter goes with Harbs and maybe some will follow position coach changes too.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Would there be enough guys left to field a team if they told Moore to gently caress off?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Adun posted:

Yeah my point is more that any professional institution wouldn’t just blindly promote from within the without at least talking to external candidates. Maybe it’s always been Saban’s dream to return to the B1G

Most places probably don't have 90% of their (not-)employees standing outside the interview room with their 2 weeks notice in hand waiting for their guy to come out.

If Moore sucks, fire him next year with a clear conscience and get whoever you want anyways.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Ferentz is going to eliminate the forward pass and play football how it was meant to be played.

You can ignore the pass if you are actually good at rushing. Just look at Michigan. Just be a mediocre version of that - big giant linemen grinding defences to a pulp until they tire out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

I like that people think that the interests who took- conservative estimate- 30 years to settle on a playoff format are going to agree on and coordinate the dissolution and re-forging of the SEC and Big Ten within our lifetimes.

Who needs to coordinate? Networks just need to whisper "hey, a super conference without the the chaff is worth an extra $10 million per team and the B1G and SEC are dead in no time. We've seen proof that schools have no loyalty to conferences/other schools if there's dollars involved and that networks aren't afraid to help the process along.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Yeah, the concept of loans against future income isn't unique but it also has the potential to be super predatory and if the NCAA wanted to be actually useful, this is something they should actually move to legislate instead of dropping off a dude at the wrond place.

Like $436k for 15% has the company make it's money back after a little under $3 mill. A 7th round pick gets $3.9 mill. The company does eat the risk of the guy busting out and not making it at all, but for a good prospect, this seems like a really bad deal.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

But here's another question- is the lowest ranked conference champ guaranteed the 5 seed?

No, because if they were, then the best ND could do would be the 6 seed.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pakled posted:

Are top level college football players lovely drivers everywhere and it's just less likely to get swept under the rug in Athens or is there legit some kind of culture issue at UGA

19 year old boys are universally stupid and self destructive, college football has nothing to do without except it makes the news unlike the billion other kids that get busted for doing dumb poo poo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gonz posted:

I don’t think there exists a Brinks truck large enough that Bama (or any other school) could back into Belichick’s driveway to convince him to deal with having to talk to teenagers, be it on the recruiting trail or inside a film room.

It's not the players that would keep bill out of college (though he'd probably still hate it). He could barely handle Kraft, he's not putting up with booster culture for a second.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

I could've sworn the deal they signed with the MWC there is an explicit penalty if they do this. But I can't find mention of it, so I must've made that up.

I think the more likely thing to happen is that the MWC and P12 merge and use P12 branding and what not. Even now I think it's a strong brand than the wmc.

From the Athletic
https://theathletic.com/5437109/2024/04/22/pac-12-nonautonomous-conference?source=user-shared-article

quote:

After that, the future is uncertain. The Pac-12 and Mountain West signed an agreement in the fall to work in good faith to merge by the 2025-26 or 2026-27 seasons, with no cost if the Pac-12 absorbs every MWC school, or a cost of upwards of $137.5 million if it takes some but not all MWC schools. But Oregon State and Washington State are focused first on joining an autonomous conference, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of college sports could spark another upheaval.

So Plan A is to ind a power conference that will take them with Plan B being a full merger or buying some schools out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Just being honest in my perhaps optimistic view of why a guy would do this but...

He played in the majors so he ain't doing it for the health care. No NFL team is drafting a nearly 30 year old dude who has a professional career under his belt already, so if not for the education...I don't really see what he'd be going there for?

College girls I guess? NIL can't be that good for him. Arkansas gals are umm not on the same level as Miami or LA beach babes

Yeah, he played 50 games over 3 years. He got $1.8 as a signing bonus and 5 years in the minors with a couple cups of tea which means he probably made like $2 million over 10 years. A nice starting point but not retire for the rest of his life money. He's probably more realistic about needing a non-sports job than like 90% of his teammates.