Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
EA should just call the new video game "College Football 1" this year; 2024 is just a hard reset for the sport in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's gotta be Lane or Lanning right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Lane Kiffin coaching at Bama feels like a recipe for disaster so I’m all for it

Is it too late for him to roll that big transfer class over?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp, somebody might as well start the 2024 Coaching Carousel thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't believe we're about to live in a world where Bama wins the SEC only 45% of the time rather than 65% of the time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

change the thread title. we are witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime event here

Let's settle down

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How do we feel about Mark Stoops with Bama’s current roster

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Mike Norvell the funniest possibility? It’s certainly the meanest

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C’mon white boy, gimme that Houston Nutt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

is there a single potential saban successor that is not funny?

Unlikely, but Kalen DeBoer would just kind of be a bummer for everyone (except probably Bama)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

James Franklin lmao

Who pushes him as a candidate harder, Franklin’s agent or Penn State?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wasn’t that with the old Browns and not these Browns?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

You're right, they did have to give up 2004. But 2003 is still there in a UCF they were the actual champs sense.

And looking it up it is noted in wiki that one of their top recruits in 2003 was John David Booty. So let's just remember John David Booty.

Will never forget the ESPN headline "USC's Booty Hurt"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coaching Carousel 2024: “How Do We Get This GOAT Out of Here?”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

A lot of smoke around Deboer to Bama. Worst sports week ever if it happens

I'm probably being :secsmug:-brained but Deboer at Bama seems like a bit of an odd fit. When I try to envision what each looks like there, I feel like Lanning is probably better able to assemble something that looks something like a modernized if somewhat diminished version of Saban's machine, but at the same time I guess it's hard to argue they're going wrong with the guy who just never loses.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If there’s anything to the Sark talk I think the end result is just that he gets a raise at Texas.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kalen DeBear

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Victorious Radia posted:

i really dont get it lol, it literally can only be about the money

Being the coach at Alabama is like being the Pope of college football

(vvvv INSERT PENN STATE JOKES BELOW vvvv)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to grasp that the borderline psychotic types that make it to the very top of the coaching ranks aren’t simply looking for the cushiest job they can land. If they were they would have already settled at a lower level with a way lower effort reward ratio.

Right, if he wasn’t ambitious he could’ve just remained the HC at Sioux Falls for 60 years and they’d probably rename the school after him or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

In three years “former Alabama coach Deh Bow-er”

Bow as in “bow and arrow” not bow as in “Lil Bow Wow”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe a bit of an off the board pick, but how would we feel about Jamey Chadwell at Washington?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Yeah, a lot of these guys (most definitely the white ones) are chuds who would relish the opportunity to go to some place like Alabama. My brain can't comprehend it but I can believe it

I don’t think it’s especially fair to make it a race thing when the guy takes a more prestigious job than the one he had before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EmbryoSteve posted:

gently caress Penn State forever. Pedophile school

Oh grow up

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s really easy to not dwell on what’s happening just on the periphery of your everyday life wherever you live, I highly recommend it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Life is just kind of the same wherever you are; I had the same TV in San Antonio that I had in Clarksburg, WV.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually I think they’re the only team to go 0-12 as a P5 in general. Lots of horrible squads have still had some creampuff on their schedule but UW’s OOC was BYU, Oklahoma and Notre Dame! Insane work by the AD.

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 13, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is not even close to correct. Kansas has gone 0-12 more recently than UW did. Since 2000 Duke has gone winless 3 times. It is not at all that big of a historical anomaly.

UCF also has gone both 0-12 and 12-0. Quicker turnaround than UW.

None of this is to say what UW has accomplished isn't very cool. It's just not unique.

UCF wasn't power 5 during either of those seasons, to be fair.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU NIL people say Alabama functionally doesnt have one, and retained talent almost solely on the back of Saban coaching chops and putting them into the NFL.

Daboer the fall could be really fast if portal moves are any indication

A New Cope

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This probably qualifies as the Judas kiss, but I think “Eyes of Texas” is a pretty good song and the case for it having any meaningful racial connotations in 2020-whatever is pretty weak.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Might be a fun pickup for the Pats at the top of round 2.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Whoever takes the Arizona job will be in hell for a while—almost a quarter of a billion dollars in debt. NIL is at 0. Recruits leaving. Players leaving. Sheesh.

I mean, things were grim when Fisch came in and that hiring was seen as kind of a joke at the time and it worked out okay. Maybe they’ll stroked gold twice. Or maybe they’ll just hire Jerry Kill.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The fact that he’s interviewing is barely even news.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Leveraging my run of Big 10 championships and national title into the one of the lower end jobs in the NFL, where I'll go 6-11 twice and get fired.

I’d bet the quality of life difference between college head coach and NFL head coach has never been wider.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Warbird posted:

It would be weirder if he wasn't imo. I do the same thing all the time, it's a skillset you have to keep trained. That said, lol lmao if he goes. Doubly lol lmao if he crashes and burns like Sabes did at the Dolphins.

I mean he’s already gone to a Super Bowl.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Our last WR who had any solid production is in the portal now as well, that's almost literally our entire two-deep that won't be back next season. Good lord, Fisch will have to do a hell of a job just to get us to .500.

The good news is that the portal goes both ways, though it is unfortunate that the coaching change is happening this late.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tagesreste posted:

Oregon vs FSU 2: Electric Boogaloo sounds like a fun matchup. I do not see FSU winning that game, but otherwise sounds fun.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

What, you gotta be some kinda perfect angel to post here?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Stunt Rock posted:

https://x.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1746948884901892551?s=46

Ole Miss and Texas A&M fans everywhere dying of laughter.

I don’t get it and I’m not sad to see him go, but with the way he keeps moving up I just assume he must actually be really good at some aspect of the job.

Also I ate a 3-day probe on TexAgs for asking the mods why they deleted a thread rumoring Bjork to Ohio State last week. (This is seemingly the only way to get a probe on TexAgs)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pissed about what

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The San Jose State guy seems like a pretty good hire; that’s a pretty consistently terrible program and he’s made them a consistent bowl team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think you’re just going to see heavy roster turnover turnover any time there’s a coaching change no matter who you are, even if you’re a top 5 program. If you’re Alabama or Ohio State or whoever, you’re probably going to be able to replace that talent pretty quick.