Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Yeah, I can see us losing three

Think Nico still wins the Heisman with three losses or do they just do the thing where they invite some other guys to make it look competitive but it’s really not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/statsbywill/status/1744722099334459771?s=20

lol Vandy catching strays

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

If Lane Kiffin can make Ole Miss a 10 win team I have to imagine he would be high on the list of candidates. Makes me wonder if he knew something and that is why he did not announce anything when he seems to have maxed out what he can do there.

Is Lane blocked by contracts from taking the Bama job?

Please God not Dabo.

They hit the transfer portal HARD this offseason and paid out an assload of money. Either they knew this was coming and that was how they’re gonna keep Lane or…there’s gonna be some upset people in the grove

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I hope Kirby is brave enough to do the funniest thing imaginable.

Go to the Falcons?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Lanning is the least funny option because I don’t think he’d succeed enough for Bama fans and it would hamstring Oregon for a few years, neither of which are particularly funny or interesting outcomes

Excuse me but Bama fans becoming increasingly more frustrated year after year through 3-4 coaching hires would be hilarious

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

:lmao: how in the gently caress does Derek Dooley have higher odds than Sark? Does Bama not remember the Derek Doolander Center For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good?

I know it’ll never happen but the amount of euphoria I would experience if it did. My GOD I would ascend to the next plane, turn into a ball of pure energy and shoot off to explore the cosmos.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

How much money to Phil Knight pony up to make Lanning the highest paid coach in college football?

I read somewhere that he has a fuckload of shares in Nike that only vest if he completes his contract.

That combined with a rich contract would be more than enough to keep him there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know nobody here has said it but I’ve heard so many Bama fans say that once Saban retires they could go get anyone because they’re BAMA….now that they’re on their 3rd(?) choice just tickles me

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably regional biases on how things should be made or prepared

My father was aghast that I wanted to smoke a turkey for thankgiving instead of baking it in the oven because that’s how they always did it growing up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

See now in west Tennessee all we did was smoke them birds

My family is originally from Knoxville and my grandparents always made the most bland food imaginable.

Except two of my grandfather’s favorite meals were peanut butter and banana sandwiches and Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced banana in the milk/cereal. Both of which I still eat to this day.

Grandaddy loved some bananas

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

https://x.com/nocontextcfb/status/1746245494429413786

The dedication to having the guy take his shoes off before the video starts really is something.

Hey Role Tahd

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who had to watch something like 40 kids transfer out when the Pruitt stuff happened I can confidently say:

lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny that all these kids are leaving Bama now but I bet we see an huge influx of kids when the portal opens again in April. Same with Washington

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh Vandy hired Jerry Kill as a consultant

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

It would be nice if our players stopped leaving. Nah, Sayin?

tried to come up with a DBZ joke but I haven’t watched enough of it

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2 5* and a 4* QB room is pretty rad

He was also with Heupel at the 20pt beat down BasketVols gave Bama this weekend

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s a junior in HS so he’s what 16-17 now? Who knows when that pic was taken.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy could throw a ball over them mountains though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

And because of this reason, he will be drafted.

Oh there’s 100% some OC looking at Milton with hearts in his eyes going “I can fix him”

I fully expect his pro day or combine to be stellar and him get drafted higher than he should

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Joe makes “bad” decisions per se. Like the decisions on who to throw to on any given play are solid. He only threw 5 picks in 2023. His completion % was like 65% which isn’t terrible.

His problem, and it’s still a big one, is he throws the ball just as hard to a guy that’s 6 yards away from him as he does one 60 yards away from him.

Come to think of it maybe that’s also why he only had 5 INTs

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

My expectations for Nico are astronomical and I’m sure I won’t be disappointed

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UGA X died. I feel like that mascot has the highest turnover

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

welcome to hell fukkbois

Hey look at it this way, now Bama can poach all the Michigan players

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rushing TDs only for QBs got it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lol until it comes from somewhere other than SI and Pat Forde I’ll assume it’s a nothing burger. The school hasn’t been given any sort of notice outside of there being an investigation. There’s basically no rules on NIL so I’m not even sure what they’d be investigating and NCAA is pretty toothless.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn’t be the first time Bama claimed illegitimate Nattys so why not

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lmao get ‘em Donde

https://www.on3.com/college/tennessee-volunteers/news/tennessee-chancellor-sends-scathing-letter-ncaa-investigation-charlie-baker/

quote:

Tennessee chancellor Donde Plowman sent a scathing letter to NCAA president Charlie Baker amid the reports of an NCAA investigation into the athletic department.

“The leaders of intercollegiate athletics owe it to student-athletes and their families to establish clear rules and to act in their best interest,” the letter read in part. “Instead, two and a half years of vague and contradictory NCAA memos, emails and ‘guidance’ about name, image and likeness (NIL) has created extraordinary chaos that student-athletes and institutions are struggling to navigate.

“In short, the NCAA is failing.”

Plowman also gave a summary of what the NCAA is set to allege.

“The NCAA enforcement staff’s intended processing of the proposed allegations is replete with legal and procedural defects, including unsettled and outstanding interpretive questions that require further attention and input from the NCAA membership, particularly given the novel nature of the issue and the gravity of such determinations,” Plowman wrote. “Further, some of the allegations are simply factually untrue.”

And once again, Plowman was the latest official to want NIL legislation.

“It is intellectually dishonest for the NCAA staff to issue guidelines that say a third-party collective/business may meet with prospective student-athletes, discuss NIL, even enter into a contract with prospective student-athletes, but at the same time say that the collective may not engage in conversations that would be of a recruiting nature,” Plowman wrote. “Any discussion about NIL might factor into a prospective student-athlete’s decision to attend an institution. This creates an inherently unworkable situation, and everyone knows it.”

e: here’s the whole thing. She really just told them to get hosed.

https://x.com/Knox_Vol865/status/1752422503983759572?s=20

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Doesn’t sound like it’s NIL related? Tennessee was stupid enough to let a bunch of boosters pay for a recruit to take a private plane to Tennessee for a recruiting trip

It was the collective that the boosters partially fund that paid for/provided the flight. It also happened before the NCAA made rules about that kind of thing and the NCAA is trying to retroactively punish for rules that didn’t exist. He committed in March 2022 and the NCAA amended the rules in May.

Which is why Donde Plowman is basically telling them to eat it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who do you think funds the collectives? The collectives that are private companies that Nico was a client of at the time?

I also haven’t seen anywhere that it was for a recruiting visit. There actually haven’t been a lot of details released about it at all. The reaction from the chancellor was so strong it makes me believe that the NCAA doesn’t have poo poo and they genuinely didn’t do anything wrong.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It honestly sounds like you want this to be bad for Tennessee but I’ll keep playing.

Nico signed with Spyre (NIL collective) in Feb 2022. He enrolled at Tennessee in December 2022. The flight, provided by Spyre, took place in March 2023. At the time, this was permissible according to CA law. It was also permissible by NCAA guidelines. NCAA decided that it’s gonna change the rules and then retroactively enforce them. That’s what this is about.

NCAA has proven time and again that it’s toothless when it comes to NIL and consistently loses in court.

The chancellor, and my extension the school, rolled over and complied completely when it came to the Pruitt violations. This time she told them to get hosed and they’re gonna fight it tooth and nail. If you can’t see the difference idk what to tell you

Also you’re the dumbest person alive if you think the collectives that are tied to the individual schools aren’t pushing the players towards their schools lol

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 31, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

drat this went from “not that many details released” to “here are all the details” pretty quickly. The wording of the Times article certainly doesn’t make it sound like the trip took place after he already signed with Tennessee as it states the team was still “wooing” him. And I think everyone would agree that boosters paying for a recruit to take a trip to a team on a private jet is a recruiting violation.

I don’t care much about UT, in fact I loved going to Knoxville for the Mizzou game in 2014 but this is definitely bad for Tennessee and just waving it off seems to be wishful thinking.

Oh cmon you know exactly what I meant when I said details weren’t available. When and how he was recruited and enrolled is easily available information and the only details about any violations is about a flight that might’ve happened in March but even that’s murky. There hasn’t been any official notice of allegations or infractions giving so everyone is guessing at this point.

The only real info we have is that the NCAA is sniffing around and that nothing official has been said except a conversation happened with the school and the Chancellor told the NCAA to get hosed. Im assuming the NCAA told UT directly what they were looking at and I’m basing my assumptions on that reaction because it was so quick and scathing this time where before she complied completely. I can’t imagine she’s send out something so direct and combative if she/the school, and the schools lawyers, thought there might be a chance of wrongdoing. It would’ve been some nothing statement of “we aware of the allegations and are investigating internally” or something like that.

I’m willing to admit to being wrong when something more substantial comes out but for now it seems like the NCAA is picking a fight it’s not gonna win.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hoo boy

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1752700462946734254?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

e: obligatory gently caress Clay Travis

https://x.com/claytravis/status/1752702444084371772?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

VAWLS COUNDNT WHIN LHEEEEGIT SO THEY GONE AND KILLED THA NCDOUBLEA PAAAAAAAAAAAAWL

I can’t believe I haven’t shared this

https://x.com/tsv__1/status/1752443087878783454?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

LET HIM COOK

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 31, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

They kinda did with that emergency injunction request! Michigan likely backed off because one of their assistants (Partridge) was clearly busted telling players what to avoid saying. Dead to rights on interfering with the investigation, so Michigan did the equivalent of cutting a deal. And got a natty out of said deal!

Tennessee gonna win the Natty got it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh who knew it was that easy after all these years of friction between the schools and the NCAA.

Maybe they don’t know. You should tell them

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bucs get an OC and kick Kentucky in the balls in one shot. Nice.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Okay this is hilarious.

But also, I had never given the lyrics much thought. Does this heartwarming ode to a sweet home in the Great Smoky Mountains actually feature a verse about people stumbling onto an illicit moonshine still and getting murked by redneck moonshiners?

Yep. And all the folks on Rocky top getting their corn from a jar isn’t talking about literally corn in a jar

its moonshine

Yeah we good

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 3, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Can really feel the excitement

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has the HC of a P5 team ever left for a coordinator position without being fired first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

probably the best UGA blogger ever has passed on.

Lewis Grizzard died in ‘94 man