Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

the most annoying possible end to the college football season

I dunno, I can think of more annoying ones. What if Iowa was in the playoffs?

Anyway, congrats Michigan. I have a lot of friends that went to school there so I was passively rooting for the wolverines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ISU has disappointed me so much that losses just roll off my back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wow Saban finally calling it quits. Thought he’d die on the sideline.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can Chicago transport itself somewhere far away from the lake?

But then where would I swim?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

What the gently caress is even with the regional food phenomenon in this day and age? How do the secrets elude people? Theres no goddamn reason I can figure out that professional barbecue making people in New England shouldn’t be able to figure out how to smoke a 10/10 brisket, or people in Texas shouldn’t be able to make a 10/10 pizza, and yet here we are. Shouldn’t YouTube pretty much have taken care of that?

Believe it or not, there’s more to making good food that can be learned from loving YouTube.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

Uh, you do both: obliterate everything in your path with your favorite team and develop another team into a juggernaut. Then, when both make the national championship, smash the weaker team for the first three quarters before switching sides and seeing if you can come back against your own massive lead.

Yea exactly. I always play 4-5 seasons as ISU so they become multi national champs. Then it’s off to like New Mexico State, Northern Illinois, western Michigan, or something like that. Always fun when the game would offer invites for the little guys to come up to one of the big conferences and some other team had to get kicked down. Forgot what year they had that included.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s better for rich far right weirdos to dump money in to NIL than whatever else they were going to do with it.

Yea no kidding. I’m coming to terms that there’s plenty of small to mid business owners with cash to spend, and I’d rather they transfer their wealth to college kids than trying to roll back EPA regulations or something awful like that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Did I miss that someone was just granted their 9th year of eligibility?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39337111/miami-te-cam-mccormick-granted-ninth-year-eligibility

quote:

Miami tight end Cam McCormick confirmed Thursday he'd be returning to play for the Hurricanes in 2024 -- his ninth season of college football.

McCormick, who began his career at Oregon in 2016, missed significant parts of four different seasons due to injury, which along with his redshirt year and the COVID year of 2020 allowed him to petition the NCAA for an unprecedented ninth season of eligibility.

I hope this guy is coming out with a fully paid for PhD.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dphi posted:

Yes it was posted on this very page

Damnit I even read that tweet but skimmed over the 9th year part.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My team won a fraudulent Fiesta Bowl and it’s the best season we’ve ever had. I’d kill for even a conference championship in my life.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Welcome to the club.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Updated my Big 12 prestige rankings following this past season.

Each season each team gets their conference record ratio (eg, going 5-4 gets you .556 points), runner-up in conference championship game OR being the head-to-head loser in a co-champion season is .5 bonus points, winning the B12CCG or being the head-to-head winner co-champion gets you 1 bonus point.

Kansas State now the Big 12 program with the most cred.

Not usually gonna be a lot of movement from season to season, though Iowa State leapt past Texas A&M and Colorado this year.

Poor Kansas still behind a program that's been in the conference less than half as long as they have :smith:

Also, Tech really suffered from being in the South those first 15 years or whatever. Won a lot of conference games, but no bonus points.

I'm glad Iowa State has finally managed to surpass teams that haven't even played in the conference for 10 years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa state will still lose to Iowa 10-7.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa State has 12 and I'm not sure who that would come from.

Ah found it. Keith Krepfle (PHI in 1981) and Dan Johnson (MIA in 1985). Man Cyclones in the Super Bowl are normally on the losing team. Doesn't bode well for Purdy.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 30, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Did that Alabama OC go back to Seattle? That was also short lived.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Every few months a thought occurs to me and I have to look up whether it’s Seneca Wallace, Ennis Haywood, or both who‘s dead from those good Dan McCarney teams.

This is possibly the weirdest thing I've seen you post, and that says a lot. I don't even think about Ennis Haywood and I went to school with him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

Jason Bean
Jalon Daniels
Frank Seurer
Todd Reesing
Dezmon Briscoe
Kerry Meier

No one has mentioned good ol Sage Rosenfels yet? He’s like one of the few guys I even remember.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

i know thats just the way things are now but its extremely funny to see a school shilling for fan donations for NIL after its HC leaves for a coordinator job at a conference opponent

Also apparently the school sold the naming rights to the Athletic Director position. Literally everything is for sale.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’ve seen it happen. Manger gets hired away and immediately calls his best people to see if they want to come with him. Not super common, but it happens.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'm just assuming that this is going to be a reskinned Madden.

Considering this commercial has only the barest shots of the game and even those are still works in progress, that yes, they're just reskinning Madden. I don't know how they build a football game from scratch and have it ready to ship in about 6 months without borrowing heavily from Madden.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I mean they just reskin Madden every year so why would this be any different

At least before I thought Madden and NCAAF games were not just the same game and had some different game mechanics.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno I'm playing as Derek Carr and I keep throwing picks so I have yet to be up by 30

If it’s in the game. It’s in the game.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The barnstorming Wildcats.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I guess I’d like to see the comparison of how big ten and SEC teams do. Encouraging as an ISU fan that we are pretty good at drawing eyeballs. I hate that it seems like I have to think about these things all the time now. Gives me a little hope that if the NCAA blows up that ISU might get thrown a life ring.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

the video looks to be gone, whatever it was.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Most minor sports have all sorts of cross over from other conferences. The Big 12 in wrestling is a giant mish mash from all over the country. We even have California teams.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU crowns 4 national champs, breaks the all time points record. They also beat second place by 100 points, obliterating the old record by 30. Starocci and Brooks are both 4 time NCAA champs, making them the 6th and 7th guys to ever do it. Got real choked up after Starocci's win when he basically confirmed he wrestled the whole tournament with a torn ACL. Barely have any words for this. A performance the likes of which may never be seen again.

I'm counting this as an ISU win because you stole our coach 10 years ago (or whenever that was). Not that I'm bitter about it or anything!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

There's talk of Kentucky dropping Louisville as an annual game if the SEC goes to 9 conference games. I do think 9 is the right move for the SEC, but I absolutely do not want to lose that rivalry game. It means more to the fans than most of the SEC rivals, maybe with the exception of Tennessee for the eastern part of the state. To me it is a must keep.

I'd also like to see more games against area teams, for example:
Indiana
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Purdue
Virginia or VT
UNC or Duke

I'm sure it won't happen in the current setup. For teams like Kentucky those MAC games are necessary for bowl eligibility. But it's not like those teams above are unbeatable in any given year, and no offense to Akron or Eastern Michigan but would be a lot more exciting from a fan's perspective.

For the SEC, if they go 9 with 3 permanent rivals, I really liked the setup with Kentucky getting Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. Not nearly as fond of the other proposal that showed South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi State.

Iowa State plays 9 conference games and we still play Iowa every year. I'd have to lose the Iowa game, even if it means we essentially never play any other P5 teams, but I don't really care, I'd rather keep the Iowa game. It's our last rivalry game still around since Mizzou left for the SEC. Frankly, I don't see why Kentucky couldn't keep it up. They really want to replace it with like a MAC or Sun Belt team?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

Aren't Iowa and ISU legally mandated to play every year?

No. Some legislators encouraged the teams to restart the rivalry, but there’s no law.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions

Ah, so we've re-invented 7 reasonably sized conferences.

Sign me up.

Lol, no kidding.

So 70 teams covers all the current P5 schools including the PAC-12. I wonder if all of them would get included in the never relegate divisions, or if they'd still put like Vandy, or Indiana or some teams like that in the bottom division. Also, I'm sure this will in no way gently caress up all of the other NCAA sports.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This just feels incredibly cheap, but maybe they’re just desperate to keep the game on campus. They probably could’ve negotiated with New Trier High School and gotten more seating.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

[Pained Grunt]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ISU fans were all excited because a couple people had TJ Tampa as a first round pick. Instead he fell to the 4th round. I’d really love to have a first round ISU pick at some point.