Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

If Auggie ends up being a stand in for 'AA' too, that would put her and Jin Cheng literally at the very end of the book.

This seems to me to be very clearly the plan. Jin = Xin. Thomas Wade is already here. They have every cast member they need to go all the way to the end. Although I'm not clear who is going to be Luo Ji.

Only through 4 episodes, but I think they've made some smart decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

One question though: the first message is from an alien who tells them they shouldn't send another message since even though this one is a pacifist if another one gets the message they will invade. This implies that it is going to lie about the message to protect humanity - but they can't lie so I don't really understand what the "don't reply" message meant

I think I can explain this without spoiling too much, since it's a minor point in the book, but spoilering this just in case.

The San-Ti fleet is already gone and hoping their bases on the San-Ti planet can give them good coordinates while they're in space. The pacifist in on the planet. All they have is the initial transmission, but it's like a general broadcast. Ye Wenjie is receiving a general broadcast back.

They need a second transmission from Earth (using the sun as an amplifier) to actually confirm the Sol system coordinates because they can tell from how long the message traveled what distance the systems are from each other, and then use that distance to infer which system the message came from.

The pacifist shares a lot with Ye Wenjie. He's a lower-rung member of San-Ti society who will never be allowed to start a family. His disillusion with San-Ti society means he is willing to burn their only chance at the fleet finding a home. He knows he's not going to be able to hide his transmission and is willing to die to save Earth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Here's the other problem I see with the whole transmisison thing

Earth is broadcasting poo poo into space loudly on all sorts of radio frequencies. It would not be all that hard for any civilization to hear us at distance of a few light years if they have the tech to make proton sized supercomputers.

er, google the youtube intro to contact

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILERS:

Yes, this is an enormous problem for human civilization later

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need to think about the show cause I just finished it. I've never read the books but I've read various spoilers here and there on the books (from outside this thread).

All I can say so far is that it's too awfully loving convenient that all of the main cast are all friends and also happen to be the most important people alive. Like the world is too big for this to happen.

And who the gently caress is Saul even? I literally can't think of a single thing he did in the show other than smoke weed.

The book characters are even thinner than the show.

The show would have to completely cycle in a new cast every season if it followed the book, which is probably a bad idea. They're all shoved together because several of them will have a lot more to do later but need to be introduced now so there isn't some brand new character halfway through Season 2 who is now the most important person in the world despite not being in the story at all up till then. For example Thomas Wade is extremely important but doesn't show up until Book 3.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 25, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the book's mysteries could sustain through a whole season. Basically everything is kept until the end, Ye Wenjie's actions and current status, what the video game is, what's driving the scientists mad and the incomprehensible power behind it.

It would be a horrible "mystery box" show like Lost or something if they held onto those cards as long as the book does. You'd be bitching about "nothing happening for 7 episodes".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe if I read the books it would hit differently. But as a show only watcher, the whole idea of a wallfacer is the most idiotic and loving dumbest thing in the world.

No, I'm trying to think of something dumber in the books and I cannot. It is supremely stupid in the books as well.

It's a huge drag on Book 2, which is easily the worst one, although it does lead to some absolutely :black101: stuff

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

I feel like the series could have done a bit more to make Saul and that character Liam plays (they did say his name in the show but I can't remember it!) feel more relevant early on. You got Jin doing stuff, Portuguese girl doing stuff with nanofibers, Jack being involved with the video game, and then these two other guys who for 6/8ths of the series don't seem to have any importance to the bigger plot. Then you find out they're relevant which is either a cool "oh thats why we were seeing so much of them" or a "couldn't they have started to weave some of this in sooner?"

Thomas Wade

They definitely could have explained Wade more, but he is serving an important role of personifying the political will of the elite in charge of combatting the alien menace. In the book series, he doesn't show up until Book 3, and the political machinations up until then just fall out of the sky like it's the will of God.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

uXs posted:

What's wrong with it?

I mean, you have the sophons, who are capable of spying on the entire world, and all of your plans are immediately revealed and can then be countered. The only plans or strategies that can stay hidden are the ones that are never written down or spoken aloud. So you assign some people who could have good ideas and give them the power to implement whatever the gently caress they can think of without having to explain or justify anything.

And, bigger spoiler:

It actually works, so...

Mainly, it's like a 10-year-old wrote it.

I don't know poo poo about physics so you can tell me all kinds of nonsense about getting up to 1% light speed or whatever, but if you say "And then a week later the whole world universally agreed 3 people can do anything they want with unlimited resources," well, I know that's dumb.

It's authorial fiat on the level of, like, a kid drawing a tank that has lasers and can fly.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 26, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

On Saul: I had the impression while watching that he was largely picked as a "lol so random" choice, given the UN Chief's speech just before that spontaneity and unpredictability were selling points of the Wallfacer concept.

It seems like a lot of people got this impression, and the show danced around it so much that I think they would have been better off just having multiple people say "We picked you because the San-Ti are trying to kill you."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously veteran gamer Jack just punching the first guy he comes across as soon as he can vs. never gamed in her life Jin feeling super sad for the NPCs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure if it was the author or showrunner's intent but I hated every single main character of the friend group. Not their acting, that was all great, just the characters themselves. Jin pretending to have loved Will after blowing him off forever for a crappy boyfriend.

I do not think she knew

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BastardySkull posted:

I wonder how they are going to deal with the whole thing about everyone in the future being a sissy soyboy and all the men dress like women or whatever the gently caress weird poo poo Cixin Liu was going on about. Hopefully they ditch that as well.

They basically HAVE to get rid of that poo poo, although Benioff & Weiss chronically stepped in it with GoT, so maybe they won't realize how bad it is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

- With the known capability of the sophons, how can anyone trust anything that they see or information they receive? How do they know that Will's brain actually went off course? Maybe the sophons just caused their computers to display that data?

We the viewers are actually shown the problem happening, not just the data display.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Are the Wallfacers supposed to make sense at this point for a non book reader because lmao

It don't make sense in the book either

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be fair, the people they picked are absolutely supposed to be that. I remember in the books The Venezuelan guy, (who is now the Indian woman, I guess) was a complete prodigy at guerilla warfare, beating back insurmountable opponents.
Protagonist guy is the odd one out. The Threesuns made that pick for them.

Fidel Castro Manuel Rey Diaz also winds up being the closest to the solution that brings about the Deterrence Era that Luo Ji finally implements (although it's really dumb and unbelievable that Luo Ji could have pulled off the setup right under the aliens' noses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

I had thought the point of the wallfacers was to induce the San ti into thinking the were super important and that they never reveal what it is that they are doing. Which would be nothing. But the San ti don't know that. It should drive them wild, and suck up the attention of the sophons.

This isn't the case?

No, all the Wallfacers cook up elaborate plans that require huge investments of resources and eventually fail, some of them due to being revealed by the "Wallbreakers" assigned by the ETO whose jobs are to figure out what each Wallfacer is doing.

Each failed plan reveals some new aspect of strategic thought that are theoretical solutions to the problem of aliens coming to kill you in 400 years, and Luo Ji (Saul) eventually implements a plan that very closely resembles one of the failed plans. Although one of the other plans starts a chain of events that result in kind of a loose end in the whole series that you could read as a qualified success based on what happens in the very very end.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 1, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

Are you… complaining that the main character has something to do with the central plot? Are you under the impression that all fiction up to this point has just been very fortunate that when they randomly selected a main character from their universe, it just so happened to be someone relevant to the story they were hoping to tell?

Can you believe the Joker just happens to want to talk to Batman after taking these hostages? I mean, out of alllllllllll the people in Gotham, we're supposed to believe that the ONLY OTHER CHARACTER that this comic has been following is the character the Joker wants to negotiate with?!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I liked the mediocre CGI chimpanzee. It had charm and also prompted me and my wife to reflect on how chimpanzees are comically dangerous. His big dick line immediately afterward about his planned schedule landed fine and was the cool part.

Them dethawing a chimp in a room full of people was pretty funny. You think he might be disoriented by this process? What do we think his reaction to being extremely disoriented would be?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I watched this and I feel like they probably did a good job adapting a book that was not very well suited to being adapted and yet something about the pacing of the show or something just makes me kind of not enjoy it very much for some reason that I can't really articulate?

I only read half of the first book but it felt very mysterious, whereas the show kind of feels like random stuff happening that I'm not sure why I'm really supposed to care about

Also I think most of the characters suck.

However, I will say that Benedict Wong is absolutely fantastic in this

The book carries all the central mysteries the entire way through. The aliens, the ETO, what Ye Wenjie did, who she is in the present, what the video game is. It's alllllllll held until the end of the book.

I think the showrunners were smart to ditch that. It works fine in the book, but absolutely nothing would have happened in the show for 7 episodes if they'd done it the way the book did it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

For people who read the books, would the next seasons potentially be more expensive based on what happens?

Book 2, maybe a little more

Book 3, way more or it's gonna look like total poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stegosnaurlax posted:

he's king of the illuminati.

:hmmyes:

They kinda shuffle by this by having the military guy look his ID and immediately cave to what he wants. I think they mentioned once or twice some agency that he's supposed to be heading, although he seems more like the Illusive Man from Mass Effect than the head of an intelligence agency.