Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
operation paper clippy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hatebag posted:

it's because it was part of a suite of nazi stuff the us did post-ww2. paperclip, gladio, the rat lines to smuggle nazis out, using nazis as mercenaries, installing nazis in european governments, hiring nazis for the cia, etc.
it's an easy way to refer to the integration of nazism into america and its vassal states

Worshiping Rommel as the patron saint of armored calvary

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Didn’t the paperclip nazis just become zionists instead

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Zadok Allen posted:

Didn’t the paperclip nazis just become zionists instead

they became Americans, so yes

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
hey op you should go check out what we did with the japanese biological weapons program and how it was used during the korean war. also curious what you think the difference between a "civilian space program" and ICBMs is

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Von Braun ordered torture and personally took part in torture, the idea that he was a lesser nazi is only true in that he saw himself as outside of but personally benefiting from the party. 10,000 concentration camp prisoners died in the construction of the V2 rocket. It's just more American propaganda that gets you to think "Aww but operation paperclip didn't bring over any of the real monsters"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Operation Pocket Monsters

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

i hate nazis but

Apt summary of Operation Paperclip tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to note here that regarding the issue of "NATO hired Nazi generals to fight the Soviets", what is really meant is that "NATO hired Nazi generals who served on the West Front and only claimed to know how to fight the Soviets, because all of the people who actually fought the Soviets were considered too politically unreliable"

gradenko_2000 posted:

from the last chapter of "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare"

additional context for this passage:

Johann von Kielmansegg: "[f]rom 1942 to 1944 he served as General Staff officer to the High Command of the Wehrmacht (OKW)."
Ulrich de Maiziere: "took part in the Invasion of Poland and Eastern Front, as an aide to General Adolf Heusinger."

gradenko_2000 posted:

breaking this up into a second post, but again from "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare", as it talks about how Heusinger made plans for West Germany's defense under NATO and the Bundeswehr

I spit out my drink at this passage. We've been posting about this idea of Manstein's "backhand blow" worming its way into NATO/Ukraine war analysis over and over since March 2022, and the reason why it keeps coming up is that the loving thing has been embedded in NATO war planning from the very beginning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would like to note here that regarding the issue of "NATO hired Nazi generals to fight the Soviets", what is really meant is that "NATO hired Nazi generals who served on the West Front and only claimed to know how to fight the Soviets, because all of the people who actually fought the Soviets were considered too politically unreliable"

surprisingly i read this entire thing and was amazed at its contents. bravo!!