Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
IIRC Punchy reported a guy for being a Nazi and ESA banned the Nazi for being a Nazi and banned Punchy for "stirring up drama"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

YggiDee posted:

IIRC Punchy reported a guy for being a Nazi and ESA banned the Nazi for being a Nazi and banned Punchy for "stirring up drama"

and after this, in the wake of gdq announcing harry potter games would not be in gdq events for obvious reasons, esa proudly announced a harry potter block in which they also banned pro-trans donation messages from being read

again, gently caress 'em

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Punchy and one other person each reported a chud. Both the chuds did get banned. Punchy and the other reporting person also got banned, Punchy with a letter from ESA that was not a good piece of communication and claimed he had a "threatening aura", which if you've ever met Punchy you know is just patently false, and it was pretty obvious the real reason he got banned was that he would not shut up about about legitimate issues with the marathon that they'd rather sweep under the rug instead of dealing with. The other person who sent in a report did get unbanned, but Punchy's ban was stated to be permanent, but the bans of the chuds were said to not necessarily be indefinite.

And then the Harry Potter fiasco.

So yeah.

Not heading the right direction.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2024

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Sloober posted:

is there a TLDR on what esa did/does, because this is the first i've heard (i dont pay too close attention to esa)

Edenal is an actual clown with a complex who is so very very bitter that Frame Fatales fundraises circles around him.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Punchy and one other person each reported a chud. Both the chuds did get banned. Punchy and the other reporting person also got banned, Punchy with a letter from ESA that was not a good piece of communication and claimed he had a "threatening aura", which if you've ever met Punchy knows is just patently false, and it was pretty obvious the real reason he got banned was that he would not shut about about legitimate issues with the marathon that they'd rather sweep under the rug instead of dealing with. The other person who sent in a report did get unbanned, but Punchy's ban was stated to be permanent, but the bans of the chuds were said to not necessarily be indefinite.

And then the Harry Potter fiasco.

So yeah.

Not heading the right direction.

I love speedrun marathons of all kinds, so ESA could have been extremely my jam. But even one of those incidents alone is enough to make me hesitate. Both of them together? Yeah, I’m not going to support your event.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ZeGoggles posted:

Edenal is an actual clown with a complex who is so very very bitter that Frame Fatales fundraises circles around him.

lmao

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

esa is run by transphobes who try and 'both sides' nazis and the people that call out nazis. gently caress 'em.

Ugh really? If there is a link anyone has to read about that I'd like it, I don't even know who ESA *are*.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

esa is run by transphobes who try and 'both sides' nazis and the people that call out nazis. gently caress 'em.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

Ugh really? If there is a link anyone has to read about that I'd like it, I don't even know who ESA *are*.

ESA is the European Speedrunner Assembly, which is basically the European version of GDQ in that it is an in-person speedruning marathon.

The rest of the drama was mentioned in the previous posts though so I don’t have anything to add there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

ESA is the European Speedrunner Assembly, which is basically the European version of GDQ in that it is an in-person speedruning marathon.

The rest of the drama was mentioned in the previous posts though so I don’t have anything to add there.

Ah thank you.

I see a statement they've put out affirming a commitment to supporting all gender identities. But it seems 'This handbook asks that no message should be approved that implies that either the runner or ESA endorses a particular viewpoint on current affairs or social issues. ' Which to me seems a fundamentally cowardly way of behaving, but then I don't know much about the complexities of running big events like that. So I dunno what they mean by 'support' if you're not allowed to say 'trans rights' or whatever.

Confusing and disheartening. I will read more around this. Cheers.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

HopperUK posted:

'This handbook asks that no message should be approved that implies that either the runner or ESA endorses a particular viewpoint on current affairs or social issues. '

This position the opposite of supporting anything but status quo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

the yeti posted:

This position the opposite of supporting anything but status quo

Yeah seriously, it loving sucks. They go on to try to justify it but man I'm not sure. Seems poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you do have to be cautious about what gets aired by sole virtue of participating charities needing to manage their optics to keep donations outside the marathon coming in. the end-of-marathon statement on palestine was an unquestionably bold thing to say in the middle of america, but it was also a statement made with the direct approval of MSF and PCF, with the understanding that it was something their donors would broadly agree with

that's not to say that i trust ESA to be acting in good faith on these issues given their history, but i'm also sure that AGDQ got plenty of "free palestine" donations that had to be quietly pushed past the donation reader

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You’re not wrong in general about having to play along with big charities’ sensibilities but they mention themselves and the runner only, so I’m not inclined to think that’s the motivation.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Will ESA let you end your run by calling for Trans rights? Because GDQ sure will, and that’s the low bar they have to clear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
probably yes but they end your run involuntarily

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HopperUK posted:

here's a tweet thread from when they banned punchy for having the audacity to out a chud

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1283095229155991553

vvv read all of it

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Maybe it's different with context, but as someone with no idea who any of those people are, I don't think Punchy comes off looking good from that tweet.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

site posted:

probably yes but they end your run involuntarily

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
ESA gives the impression that even if they arent chuds or hiding their own biases, they are at best too cowardly to openly support equal treatment except in the most milquetoast in passing way and would instead support jerkoffs like Rowling etc

So gently caress em.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Maybe it's different with context, but as someone with no idea who any of those people are, I don't think Punchy comes off looking good from that tweet.

Maybe you should take the word of all the people saying punchy is a cool dude instead of the transphobic speedrun marathon?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ZeusCannon posted:

ESA gives the impression that even if they arent chuds or hiding their own biases, they are at best too cowardly to openly support equal treatment except in the most milquetoast in passing way and would instead support jerkoffs like Rowling etc

So gently caress em.
Or the cowardice might be an attempt to pick up the people who think GDQ is Too Woke Now, ignoring that most of those people aren't going to watch or donate to them either (the same chuds have been voicing this complaint about GDQ for a decade).

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Or the cowardice might be an attempt to pick up the people who think GDQ is Too Woke Now, ignoring that most of those people aren't going to watch or donate to them either (the same chuds have been voicing this complaint about GDQ for a decade).

This is what I assume it has to be, although I sincerely doubt chuds are going to donate to actual good humanitarian causes. Anti-woke poo poo is a grift that it seems like even ESA is too stupid or cowardly to go in on. Either way it sounds like they're loving losers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just like watching the video games. Sometimes they do silly things like the airline passenger simulator

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Snake Maze posted:

E: thanks to extra context below, I'm editing this out. gently caress the ESA. The rest still stands of course.

Still not going to support them though if they're going out of their way to feature harry potter poo poo and trying to both sides issues that really work out to "either you support progress and human rights, or you oppose them". "We support all that stuff but we're not willing to say it, and you can't either" is the same as opposing.

E: and of course usually when people try to pull this poo poo, they in fact do actively oppose human rights, and are smart enough to realize saying that out loud in 2024 isn't a good move anymore, but not smart enough to not realize that people can see through their lovely excuses.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2024

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah exactly. I don't know any of these people or have any idea what's going on, but if the ESA aren't just outright making poo poo up and people are in fact afraid to work with Punchy then on the surface that sounds like a perfectly good reason to ban someone from their events.

Still not going to support them though if they're going out of their way to feature harry potter poo poo and trying to both sides issues that really work out to "either you support progress and human rights, or you oppose them". "We support all that stuff but we're not willing to say it, and you can't either" is the same as opposing.

E: and of course usually when people try to pull this poo poo, they in fact do actively oppose human rights, and are smart enough to realize saying that out loud in 2024 isn't a good move anymore, but not smart enough to not realize that people can see through their lovely excuses.

They were, in fact, making poo poo up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

apostateCourier posted:

They were, in fact, making poo poo up.

Welp.

Double gently caress them then.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah exactly. I don't know any of these people or have any idea what's going on, but if the ESA aren't just outright making poo poo up and people are in fact afraid to work with Punchy then on the surface that sounds like a perfectly good reason to ban someone from their events.

i mean,

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

claw game handjob posted:

From memory, Punchy goes to the organization as a marathon is being set up, goes "hey you, uh, you got a little Nazi on your schedule, right there", points the guy out. Nazi eats a six-month ban, Punchy eats a permanent ESA ban because of "drama".

this was a component of it and was the most recent interaction that took place before the ban, but some background is that I'd also been the subject of physically getting harassed at the events for years by these people via things like just heckling me while I'm trying to practice or do runs or w/e up to people actually throwing food at me, I'd naturally been up the rear end of the organizers to actually do something about this and I generally had faith they would since we were personal friends for a while, it may surprise you to learn. Like as in, one of the organisers literally drove to my house to play video games at one point, we were not just internet buddies.

but in the end I am forced to conclude that doing the right thing for me was just too much hassle for the guy and his budding business and they did not want to give me what they probably perceived as a "win" by banning the nazi so they threw me under the bus at the same time. My precise ban reason is not known even to me because they didn't really have one, the communication I received was incredibly vague about it. I have not spoken to anyone involved since and probably never will for the rest of my life, as they are awful people who I want absolutely nothing to do with. I have moved on, broadly speaking, I mean don't get me wrong the entire experience was profoundly awful and has permanently poisoned the well for my interactions with the wider community, but ESA is not and was never worth trying to help, I'm content to play for better events like GDQ and RTA in Japan and I have no intentions of ever trying to make peace with anyone involved, they don't deserve my time.

Hello, incidentally, haven't posted in a while but I'm still around.

edit: worth noting that in the first instance of me getting harassed on camera at ESA, someone complained to one of the other organisers (not the one I was friends with) on Twitter and they replied by tweeting a picture of them sticking two middle fingers up at the camera. this probably should've been an extremely glaring red flag right then but I was like 18 at the time so lol oh well.

and also i am ultimately far more inclined to believe the guy who has been at several gdqs and whose most controversial act at any of them was getting another runner thrown out for groping people than an organization that loving loves jk rowling. it seems to me like punchy just has little issue calling out fuckwits for being fuckwits, and cowards who don't like dealing with uncomfortable situations hate that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jfc, that's reprehensible.

quote:

and also i am ultimately far more inclined to believe the guy who has been at several gdqs and whose most controversial act at any of them was getting another runner thrown out for groping people than an organization that loving loves jk rowling.

Of course. Like I said, I don't know any of the people involved and while I've probably seen Punchy at some GDQ stream, I wouldn't recognize the name. But yeah this is good context, gently caress the ESA.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Even if it's not them loving Rowling's stance, it's still more of that edgy SegaESA does what NintenGameDoneDon't junk they have a stink of. No we're diffffferent!!!11!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

To be clear I don’t know Punchy personally and we only interacted once when I congratulated them on a run and expressed thanks for coming over for a gdq.

That said I don’t buy that punchy made anyone feel unsafe in any real sense. (I.e., getting in your feels because you were bluntly told you are being or are working for an rear end in a top hat doesn’t count)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

also i could never in a million years imagine esa ending a marathon with 'free palestine'. i half expect them to end with 'we stand with israel', but tbh i don't even think they have the spine for that.

i've had a lot of criticisms of how gdq has handled some things in the past, like giving second chances to people that clearly don't deserve them (the maga hat idiots were already on their last chance, and displayed exactly why they should not have had that chance) or allowing a dude who openly loves francisco franco to feature as a runner, but at least they seem to have learned and grown a spine over time. for example, recently they had cheese scheduled to run but when people brought up to them that he is a transphobe, they actually removed his run from the schedule.

i hate it for european-based runners because this poo poo has left them with little reasonable options to run if they don't want to support esa but still want to be at a marathon. not everyone can, or would even want to, fly to america for gdq.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Croccers posted:

Even if it's not them loving Rowling's stance, it's still more of that edgy SegaESA does what NintenGameDoneDon't junk they have a stink of. No we're diffffferent!!!11!

ESA does everything in their power to do the complete opposite of GDQ.

Also ESA actively bans any mention of "Trans Rights" in their chat. Bunch of spineless cowards.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i hate it for european-based runners because this poo poo has left them with little reasonable options to run if they don't want to support esa but still want to be at a marathon. not everyone can, or would even want to, fly to america for gdq.

Eh, at this point we're used to being always second to the US if we're talking about the english speaking internet. At least the continued success of GDQ marathons does mean more local runners bunch up and make marathons in their native language.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How many foreign restreams do the GDQ events normally get?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've probably seen Punchy at some GDQ stream, I wouldn't recognize the name.

punchy did the fantastic baba is you run in 2022, among others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEnUHxy0CQ

he was also the host the first time gdq broke 2 million dollars, during a puwexil run of chrono trigger, and the juxtaposition of punchy and the crowd losing their goddamn poo poo while puwexil stayed composed and cool as a cucumber is one of my favorite gdq things.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

puwexil's the presence i miss the most from GDQ runs. dude knew every goddamn RPG backwards and forwards and had a great sense of dry humor

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks so much for the information, all. The ESA sound lovely.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Thanks so much for the information, all. The ESA sound lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

punchy did the fantastic baba is you run in 2022, among others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEnUHxy0CQ

he was also the host the first time gdq broke 2 million dollars, during a puwexil run of chrono trigger, and the juxtaposition of punchy and the crowd losing their goddamn poo poo while puwexil stayed composed and cool as a cucumber is one of my favorite gdq things.

Punchy was host for the SMO run at AGDQ2020 that almost broke the tracker because we got $186,000 in 15 minutes, Chrono Trigger was SGDQ2019 the year prior and we broke -3- million, not 2.

First time we broke 2 million was just before Undertale in AGDQ 2017.

https://twitter.com/Vulajin/status/1145765354137903110

That SMO run is also where we got this:

Punchy is a cool, helpful guy and ESA absolutely did him dirty.