Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

with tna you're probably better off piecemealing good matches than trying to watch weekly. it is really unwatchable until about 05 and even then it barely approaches that level.

Yeah, late 2002 to mid 2003 is funny because of SEX, then late 2003-mid 2004 is so completely boring. Late 2004 is kind of bad, but also kind of good starting with Turning Point and the cage match. Early 2005 is half good half bad, and then mid 2005-mid 2006 is great, especially the summer of 2005 in between Jarrett reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I bought a lot of those early asylum weekly papers. They sucked. Is there any way cheex or whoever is still alive?

I actually did a deep dive on Cheex for an episode of the Monumental Podcast. He was better known on the indies as Rolling Thunder or his real name Mike Staples and wrestled until 2016. I believe he is still alive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'm up to episode #14 watching TNA from the start and something happened that made me immediately have to write it down.

So the main event is Jeff Jarrett vs B.G. james(road dogg)

And James does the stupidest promo before the match which includes the line "it ain't nothing but a B to the G thing and you're about to feel my B to the G sting. It's B.G. James and the G stands for Get it,got it, good"

:psyduck:

This isn't even the only company where a bad Jarrett vs Road Dogg match would headline during that period. Post WCW was so dire in the US.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jonny Nox posted:

He's been slumming around NWA since 2019

He's a manager now which should work for him because he has a ton of charisma. He's just low rent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvYJfHiY_ro

Moderate sized fish. iiiity biiiity pond.

He's so boring in the NWA. Which is true for everyone but his character work really sucks. Very generic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's really incredible how he's one guy who actually got significantly worse the moment he left WWE. Like...yeah that's happened plenty of times, but the drop in quality was instant and stark.

While I thought Sandow was a fun gimmick and he was the one guy who managed to get the Miz super over when he was floundering, Macho Mandow is actually worse than his current NWA run.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
RIP TNA Legend Toby Keith, break out the 50 Greatest Moments in TNA history and watch all of his moments to celebrate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott D'Amore "terminated" with Anthony Cicione named TNA President and the company being folded into Anthem's Entertainment Group.

https://tnawrestling.com/2024/02/07/anthony-cicione-named-president-of-tna-wrestling/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Well, uh, what the gently caress? This is out of nowhere, wasn't he behind the re-rebrand and a lot of the vision of the company? Everyone I know spoke really highly of him too. The hell?

Either he overpromised and underdelivered with the rebrand or they may think he's a liability. Which might be a smart move with everything happening in WWE right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Miching Mallecho posted:

Their return to TNA name and the first PPV of 2024 did well, atleast from what I remember when meltzer was talking about the buy rates

I wonder what happened

Edit: corporate fuckery it is. :psyduck:

8,000 buys is good relative to their previous results but reports were Anthem spent a lot of money upgrading production. It's not impossible that they spend a lot of money, see numbers that make it look like they are not going to make a return on that investment and decide to move on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Jeesh, TNA can't catch a break. Gets positive buzz due to the rebrand and Ospreay/Alexander and good streaming options, some momentum, Scott himself has a passionate promo that got people rumbling a little, and then corporate fuckery hits immediately. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I love TNA or anything outside of having fondness for a lot of the old memories, good and bad, of its PPVs and crazier moments, but I was feeling good about the company and subbed to watch Impact regularly. Getting rid of the one guy who vocally headed up the company is a really bad look, unless there's something bad under the surface that is about to break, in which case...well, that's its own can of worms.

Him putting himself on TV as much as he did might even be a reason they got annoyed with him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott D'Amore always trying to get himself over might have in fact been the problem:

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1755318215083741637

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

What even would a TNA aligned with AXS/Anthem be? Shoot interviews with Sammy Hagar?

I think the answer is just firing some more office people who you can just use Anthem Entertainment division people for, which given how shoestring the TNA office is... I have no idea who else they'd fire. I guess this might put Garrett Kidney's job at risk again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Exactly! There's one guy there working on so many different aspects of the product and they fired that guy. And there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut replacement for the booking or talent management. I assume someone at Anthem can rent buildings but even that seemed to be a thing that D'Amore had connections with given how much they ran the same buildings in Windsor and Toronto.

They are doing a bunch of renovations to the Nashville studio so I think they are just going to run there a lot and maybe Vegas.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like D'Amore put together financing to try to buy TNA from Anthem, got rebuffed and knew it was a matter of time for him.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1755660912659493161

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Delirious + Tommy is even more of a dream team than Tommy in charge. This is why SRS has lapped Shave Seltzer.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1758559371150180604

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And to be fair to everyone Joe Lanza said Tommy is positioned to become the most powerful person on the team but is not yet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Delirious solo booking ROH was much better than Cornette ghost booking in Delirious' name and much better than when Bully Ray got all over the product. There were some really good things in there like The Young Bucks Bullet Club run with AJ.

He had some boring tendencies and maybe some worse than boring tendencies depending on who you believe but the product was pretty good when he was in sole control.

He's kind of like D'amore in the sense that people who watched it thought it was good but people tuning in would be turned off or bored a lot of the time when they had big opportunties to grow. Plus booking friends.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I haven't seen TNA viewership in awhile, but this is probably another reason Anthem was ready to move on from Scott.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/...ampaign=dlvr.it

86,000 viewers this week and a .02 demo. Last known number was 102,000 on January 25th. They hyped up Trinity a lot last summer and didn't get a bounce, and now post rebrand they hyped up they have seen no growth in their viewership.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/SpeedballBailey/status/1759692548606497256?s=20

When Speedball said in 2022 he was staying he outright cited D'Amore as a reason why https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/12/20/speedball-mike-bailey-im-gonna-be-with-impact-wrestling-for-a-few-more-years/

The PPV Saturday is going to be the first time since the firing everyone's really in the same building. Something's gonna give

Everyone who can get a better deal will leave everyone who can't will stay, anyone who can get the a slightly better deal elsewhere but a better push in TNA will flip a coin. Same as always.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1759691623934337528

Honestly don't see where guys like Speedball or Maclin fit in outside of TNA unless Khan is interested in bringing them in as primarily ROH guys or something. Bad moment to be a disgruntled talent who isn't quite "can't miss"

Triple H probably will want some free agents he can say he won a bidding war over but not spend too much on. Assuming he still has a job.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ivypls posted:

is there another money mark out there that wants to spin up another wrestling company

there's enough high level talent floating around to do it

There definitely isn't. If you were to create another American promotion based on unsigned people and people with expiring TNA contracts you'd have another promotion with no TV running multiple tapings at a time in front of 800-1,000 people. It'd be like what happened when Wrestle-1 formed out of All Japan, not good for anyone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best outcome of a TNA exodus in terms of making another US player is if New Japan used Alexander and Speedball for US shows and a few tours a year. Alexander is a good wrestler but doesn't excite me, but I bet he'd be great in that kind of a role. Speedball bores me on the indies but his BotSJ run was great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Josh will be around for at least another year, don't worry!

https://twitter.com/SI_wrestling/status/1759956489811137003

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is this like one of those things where WWE adds time on for injury, or something like the contract states that TNA can extend the contract even if the person doesn’t necessarily want to be there? The wording feels so weird to me.

The contract has an option for TNA to extend it, like many sports contracts do. Many AEW contracts are like this, one or two year deals with additional option years. So when the guaranteed term is up the company can then add an additional year at whatever rate was agreed to at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It seems to be extended to cover injury time but man, they couldn't have phrased that any more suspiciously huh

Unless someone is reporting this I don't think this was the case and I don't even think he was out long enough with injury for those to go into effect (I think that they are six months in WWE deals) and that wouldn't be enough to extend him into 2025.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

The most TNA thing possible would be for them to turn this into an "Our workers don't want to be here" angle

They could have Bully Ray represent Anthem and Tommy Dreamer represent the hourglass talent and do a big feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/JohnGaburick/status/604035002146373632

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

For better or worse, the roster's first meeting with management post-D'Amore is scheduled for tomorrow. Which means they have a whole PPV to have before that, tonight

No Surrender:

The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) vs Intergalactic Jet Setters (KUSHIDA and Kevin Knight) in a preshow match
Speedball Mountain (Speedball Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) vs the Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) in a preshow match
PCO vs Kon
Josh Alexander vs Simon Gotch
Frankie Kazarian vs Eric Young, winner gets a world title shot at Sacrifice March 8
Decay (Rosemary and Jessicka Havok) defend the Knockouts tag titles against MKUltra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly)
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles in the final match of a Best-of-3 series against Grizzled Young Vets (James Drake and Zack Gibson)
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Gisele Shaw
Chris Sabin defends the X title against Mustafa Ali
Moose defends the world title against Alex Shelley in a No Surrender Rules match; match ends when a cornerman throws in the towel

A No Surrender match where the match can only end via surrender is why TNA is back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Miching Mallecho posted:

What's mustafa's gimmick now?

Is he the president of wrestling?

He is doing the really bad campaign gimmick that wrestlers love to do and is just bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

I'd expected he'd go to the NWA, but lol.

NWA won't offer contracts to older wrestlers they only want to sign really young ones they can underpay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Do you think TNA picks up Kevin Kelly now that he’s been fired from AEW? Maybe NWA is a more likely place for him to pop up.

No, he's going to do a grifter podcast and maybe try to get Big Dick Johnson's old job at TPUSA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AYOZAT

https://twitter.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1780599382360109350

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA is maximizing their Dolla.

https://x.com/bunbtrillog/status/1781395381022064782?s=46&t=XkSx8WdEiBDDOZ_X7upkoQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tessa has been on her best behavior in Mexico and supposedly even made amends to people privately. She was an incredibly overrated wrestler but she'd probably be more valuable to TNA than any other company if she continued to do business the right way and actually did work on herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

abraham linksys posted:

can we just go ahead and get to the part where tna closes forever because it's genuinely sadder than MLW at this point

The War Chamber is airing on youtube right now I suggest you watch it and maybe apologize to TNA.