Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just found Soul utterly mediocre, which is iirc the worst thing any movie can be. I'd rather laugh at a bad one than yawn through a boring one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, Sora is very marketable and even most Kingdom Hearts fans have no idea what's going on with the story. It'd probably be the most comprehensible plot Disney has put out in a while at this point anyway.

Also incidentally, Sora and all Kingdom Hearts original characters are iirc actually owned by Disney, they just let S-E make the games. All S-E owns are the Final Fantasy characters that occasionally appear and associated lended material like the spells.

I feel like it's probably some sort of co-ownership situation.

Also I think everybody's vastly overestimating the size of the fanbase. I mean, I'm sure it's huge, but in comparison to the fanbase for other Disney properties/Disney as a whole it's probably comparatively niche. Because if it were that huge, you're right, they would fight tooth and nail to make Sora's goofy anime rear end pop up

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Paramount crew getting ready in case WB merges with them and Zaslav ends up in charge

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I hear they're gonna make a live action movie of it but from the info I've seen I'm not super impressed with the casting of Fishlegs and Snotlout.

Ah, Dreamworks is jumping on the Disney live-action bandwagon? That's a shame but I can't blame them I guess, seeing how Disney has made out like bandits from that strategy no matter how mediocre the final product is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

If there was any hope the ATLA live action would be even half as decent as the OP live-action series, it sure is gone.

I'm not surprised, but honestly, I think they're kind of right to say it's not just for kids. Because let's be real, this show is a kids show... buuut it's also not a kids show. It's really a show being made for the late 20s/30-somethings that grew up with the show and are now viewing it with heavily rose-tinted glasses (and they're the ones buying the Netflix accounts).

The goal isn't to remake Avatar as it was, it's to make Avatar as you remember it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Except Netflix still has the original series right there already.

Hey man, I don't disagree, I think the entire idea of a live action version is just like all the Disney ones: a bad one. But Hollywood's run out of ideas, so they're gonna beat this dead horse milk this IP to see if they can get the nostalgia train running.

Robindaybird posted:

Also loving chasing after the GoT hype in 2024.

The show that imploded so badly in the last season that it took itself out of pop-culture relevance, and highlighted how much the directors were nothing but lucky failsons

Yeah it imploded badly, but it was also loving huge. That's what show creators and/or executives looking to make a show are looking at. They're not looking at the people saying the end retroactively ruined the series, they're looking at the sheer number of people who were invested, at the merch sales, at the number of poor children out there named loving Danerys or something because their parents were so into the show... and other poo poo like that. GoT is (arguably) the biggest cultural juggernaut that the world has seen on TV in years, and until something steps up to take that crown, you'll still see it get name-checked when you see stuff about what people want their show to be like (especially if it's even remotely for adults)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 6, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Wow that feels sudden.

Moana is so great. I'm pretty skeptical about a sequel.

I'm kinda surprised just because I figured since they're doing the live-action remake, they'd be committing to that style. To do both strikes me as weird. I'm sure the Rock's overjoyed though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Also even if the amount of money they would save by writing it off is only equal to the profit from selling it off, I still think they should sell it so they don't gently caress over all the people who spent a ton of time working on it.

There's a little tinfoil hatted part of my brain that thinks that maybe they're more afraid that if it does well it makes them look even stupider than if they canned it, so they've decided to settle on just looking the usual amount of stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I read a theory that Coyote is getting axed because it was greenlit by previous leadership and for a minute I laughed it off but thinking on it I think Zaslav might just be that much of a petty bitch....

ThermoPhysical posted:

A lot of show creators had to do that. I recall IanJQ having to do that for OK KO and Owen Dennis basically told everyone to pirate Infinity Train since that was the only way to watch it as it was even being removed from people's Amazon lists despite buying it. The DVDs of Infinity Train went to insane prices too.

Actually Owen Dennis was, understandably, VERY pissed about it and did an interview about how lovely it was. I don't think anyone but WBD's higher ups knew they were going to memory hole a bunch of shows so it caught everyone else off guard at the same time.

In other show news (based on a movie) there's a 6 episode series based entirely around Knuckles coming to Paramount+. Idris Elba is voicing him again as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kETt59yn6A

Knuckles gets his cowboy hat, show confirmed good. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Excellent song choice there :allears:

Knuckles is BEST BOY the best thing to come out of the Sonic movies so I’m glad to see he’s getting more coverage.

Yeah although now that Shadow's showing up and people keep fan-casting him I can only ever think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwk5mK6QoE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

iirc, Bob Hoskins admits to basically being plastered the entire time for the movie.

It was both him and John Leguizamo.

My favorite story of that movie is a quote from Dennis Hopper:

"My six-year-old son at the time – he's now 18 – he said, 'Dad I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?' And I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fandoms are like drugs, they're fun but you shouldn't get into them too much. The same is true of hating on a fandom.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 13, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Goddamn one piece has been airing for a long time

Oda actually died in the 2000s and One Piece has been written by his brain in a jar since then. All subsequent public appearances have been an advanced hologram.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thanks i hate it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

That's weird. I wonder why Netflix would do that

They just won a couple of Annie awards (voice acting and writing) so maybe just trying to ride that (very niche) wave?

But mostly

SolarFire2 posted:

Oscar hype.

Yeah

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They apparently decided that Deadpool worked so they have to emulate it down to the viral-to-greenlight production part

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

While the idea of a Grid character coming into the real world is cool, I sure hope that doesn't mean that a large portion of the movie is set outside the computer.

It's just going to be Enchanted but with a computer person instead of a Disney princess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Haven't seen it but my YouTube algorithm has been suggesting multiple reviews saying it's bad so I can't imagine they're too off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

If I hadn't found out it was the adaptation of a children's book, I would have assumed The Wild Robot was directly pitched as a feature-length version of the Overwatch short 'The Last Bastion'.

lol that's what I was thinking watching it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh no where will I get my mediocre CG anime from now? :geno:

I do feel bad for the people getting laid off though, but reading the article it seems like they've been a sinking ship for a while (plus it's a borderline miracle they made it this long being owned by WBD)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Woof. Sorry to hear but I'm simultaneously not surprised between the execs constantly trying to cut costs and use AI to put everyone out of work

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BreakPoint posted:

https://twitter.com/MaxCEEUpdates/status/1769778377542504644

Coyote Vs. ACME cancelled...OK, but this...why!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still confused how get to a complete movie and then decide not to release it.

The movie is complete, right?

Yep, it was originally supposed to come out last summer but got bumped for Barbie. And then it was bumped from reality...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oh noooo what a shaaaame.

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 29, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

So apparently they’re making a Toy Story 5 and a Moana 2 (in addition to the live action remake of the first one)

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...tes-1235961998/

Tron Ares has a release date now as well

Iirc Moana 2 is old news, but I'm not too surprised by news of TS5. 3 provided a perfect end point, so when 4 came out I figured they would just milk the franchise until it's past it's expiration date. Plus our current sequel/franchise dominated media landscape pretty much guarantees that Toy Story will keep going until the franchise is past dead (or Tom Hanks dies, whichever comes first).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

lol that Midorya.

Mon Hero Académie featuring Jacques Midoriya

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you would have told me back when the first KFP movie came out that it would spawn 3 sequels + a TV show I would've laughed in your face. Kinda wild how it's gone this long.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Live action is a toxic plague that we have let run rampant for far too long

I don't know what you're talking about, I can't wait for whatever James Marsden's subplot in Sonic 3 will be :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Big the Cat top billed or we riot

Finally somebody gets the franchise. HIRE THEM, PARAMOUNT YOU COWARDS

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't dislike Soul but I thought it was just thoroughly okay

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Poor Kirk Thornton probably thought he had a shot after they kept Tails' actual VO from the games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

why has everyone decided that the hatewatchers made Velma happen vs every other time a bad show gets more seasons. many more people just like bad shows

I think it's just the belief that if everybody (read: all the people that bitch about it online) hates it yet it continues to exist, that people must be hate watching it, because how could anyone like a bad show? It's just flawed echo chamber thinking.

...Though there a grain of truth there because otherwise how are people making so many long-rear end youtube videos about why it's so bad? (beyond the ones that immediately made them when the trailer/character designs dropped because THE drat WOKES ARE CHANGING THINGS! :bahgawd:). A lot of dumbasses self-reporting to be hatewatching when they complain about it getting renewed even though, as others have already mentioned, it was probably approved as 2 seasons from the jump.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Annnnd of course LMM is doing the songs. Man, when they signed the deal to get Hamilton on Disney+ he must have gotten some crazy rear end "I will now be the music guy" clause in there. Or Disney has him chained to a desk, I can't figure out who's in power.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Not sure how credible this is but apparently a Kingdom Hearts movie is rumored to be in the works too:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/kingdom-hearts-sora-movie-disney/

A pitch pilot animatic for the scrapped cartoon series was also uploaded a few years ago by the director of the project:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n_23o8Dj524

My first thought is "no way" because it'd be a pain to get Square Enix on board for cameos but then as I understand it (haven't played it personally) KH3 basically cut out all the Final Fantasy characters so it's purely Disney stuff (and the jointly owned OCs from the KH series).

At best I could see them doing like an anime OVA for promo/tie-in whenever the next game's gonna come out. A movie as in like a full-rear end feature film would be nuts and I feel comfortable saying there's only barely a chance it'll happen. But who knows, dumber things have been greenlit especially in the age of streaming.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 29, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Megera posted:

also the main song "This Wish" was written before the script, and which they used to base the story off of

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/awards/julia-michaels-wrote-wish-theme-song-before-script-existed-1235820323/

ah yes, that makes total sense :psyduck:

High Warlord Zog posted:

My gut says we're going to see some significant bombs or underperformers among the October/November/December blockbusters. Moana 2 is absolutely going to get slaughtered by Wicked and The Prequel King might as well. Audiences are getting wise to Sony's Spidermanless Spiderman game and are going to stay away from Kraven. Joker and Venom might turn out to be novelties that audiences were only happy to take to a billion-ish once. And people haven't showed up for Ridley Scott for a while.

Nah, unless Moana 2 just sucks complete poo poo it'll make bank. And unfortunately I think Prequel King's gonna do just fine. Remember, even though most people agreed it was unnecessary and a lot said it was the inferior version, Live-Action Lion King was the #2 movie of 2019 (only losing to Avengers Endgame) which shows that people still payed up for it, meaning they'll probably do it a second time (plus never underestimate the market power of kids dragging their parents to a talking animal movie). Kraven probably will crap the bed (though I predict not as bad as Madame Web). I think the only one in real risk of flopping (well, compared to expectations) of that lot is Joker 2 Electric Boogaloo because yeah I think that Joker might have been a weird change up that only works once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Sword in the Stone

I wish this was a better movie. Hell, I remembered it being a better movie through the haze of nostalgia and was notably disappointed when I first rewatched it a couple years ago.

I also remember it as being very good and that's kind of why I've never revisited it, because I've heard multiple people (including yourself) express the same things about it being disappointing. I'm just gonna let the nostalgia cloud my memory on that one for good...

ALFbrot posted:

I'm torn between being interested by all the BTS and pre-viz stuff they dug up and being wildly distracted by the weird choices of music (with sound effects sometimes) and to spend 30% of the runtime watching a progress bar on Windows Media Player while people read reenactments of interviews

But the tease of that really nice pencil test for the elephant, and then showing the 3d version later. Amazing stuff. And to do that with Kasanoff's voiceover talking about how much better the mocap is than hand-animated... Perfect

Yeah, I watched it but that was kind of distracting. Like, I get that multiple people probably don't want to do video interviews, especially ones who want to remain anonymous, but there has to be a better way (in fact I know there's a better way from watching other documentaries in the past) than just showing a blank media player.

I will say that it's definitely interesting hearing how they actually pioneered a lot of 3D technology but uh... they just did it really bad because of constant revision.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2024