Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It seemed pretty straightforward to me, he didn't want to cum inside her because that's a normal, responsible adult reaction when you don't want to get your FWB pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like the dynamic of rear end in a top hat Jodie Foster cop and very, very angry native cop who are working together despite hating each others guts. I like the setting of the Long Night, and the corpsicle. And I like the Daltov Pass inspired mystery. And a light, mostly former, Billie Elish enjoy, the opening credits are terrible and very out of place. The Season 1 stuff is ok if it stays in the background and never actually matters, and I choose to assume that guy printed out his own AI posters because he was really proud of them, rather than a weird prop decision.

Overall very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. Every piece of media today gets so over-analyzed on the internet and it seems like there's always an army of nerds trying to one up with performative outrage like some silly TV show meant to entertain you for an hour is actually the worst thing that happened in years and it all looks very exhausting.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nephthys posted:

It would be a big subversion if it turned out that the murdered woman Navarro is obsessed with was killed for a good reason.

Oh god I hope not. The terminally online howling would be deafening.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Posting is usually a mistake

There you go. Brevity, wit, etc.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The guy did list off like a dozen unrelated industries they're involved in. He definitely made it sound more like they were comparable to something like Siemens or Johnson & Johnson rather than a weirdo Louisiana cult that's grown into a regional business in the last few decades.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

Billie Eilsh is actually a stellar singer but she writes pop songs for young people (and is a kid herself).

Go listen to Ocean Eyes right now. Tell me that voice (and her older brother's production) isn't something special.

I enjoy Billie Eilish, I even enjoy Bury a Friend, but I think it's very out of place as the opening credits, especially with the frenetic, chaotic visuals. Maybe that's the point? It's very unsettling, either on purpose or not.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

Or am I getting this wrong? Is she meant to be foolishly taking on something beyond her expetience and competence?

I would say yes, absolutely wrong.

She's clearly the best detective in town by a long shot, running circles around everyone else and figuring stuff out on her own. She's knew about the tongue, she knew they had been gone for hours based on the mayo, she followed that guys financial records to identify the tattoo, she noticed the jacket, etc etc. Her protégée found the trailer but only by following the questions and instructions she gave him.

She plays everything very close to the chest and doesn't tell anyone anything she doesn't need to. Which makes perfect sense considering that her de facto second in command is, at best, willfully insubordinate, and at worst an industry plant there to impede investigations.

She can't really be blamed for the native woman's murder since it happened before she worked there. But she did investigate it anyways, she just doesn't talk about it since she wasn't able to find anything. Again, close to the chest. Considering it was already a cold case when she arrived and looked at it, and that the company that owns the town is actively working against getting it solved her not finding anything is understandable.

Doctor Who is the only person who calls her current assignment a "promotion" and he's pretty clearly full of poo poo. No one else, especially Danvers, seems to treat her current assignment as anything other than a banishment from wherever she was from. Certainly not a cushy job she was able to screw her way into.

I think she's stubbornly holding onto a case that is beyond her resources because she knows that, considering the circumstances, if she lets it go it's probably going to quietly go unsolved and forgotten.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Her not telling Navarro, I just took that as her just not giving a gently caress what anyone, including Navarro thought of her. She wasn't able to solve it so what does it even matter how much time she spend looking into the case? Originally I thought it could be she just doesn't trust anyone, since she already has one obvious insubordinate troll in her office. But on further thought, I think its safe to say the only person we can be sure isn't secretly helping the mining company cover up that murder is Navarro.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought that was entertaining and demon scientist made me jump.

Goons seem very determined to not like it though.
"This episode sucks cause they didn't even do any character development"
"Who even has exams at the end of December"
"Why haven't they gone through the locked phone they found last night yet"

Yeah okay guys.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was about to abandon this thread full of pessimism, until it showed me that Monsieur Spade exists and now all is forgiven.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Whale Vomit posted:

A show where our young detective asks around and figures out how to exploit an old device would be better than it happening off screen to no purpose.

There was a scene with the two main characters were driving and talking to each other to try and learn more about each other and goons were making GBS threads themselves in their rush to be mad about how literally nothing happened the entire episode as a result. Having a scene where he Googles 'how to hack samsung S2 from 2015' and they might actually die from boredom watching.

You know, on second thought, yeah, let's try it and hope for the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's 2 days before Christmas north of the arctic circle. They send Doctor Who up there, and they've been trying to send a forensics guy and probably others but its isolated and hard as gently caress to get there.

As far as a "killer on the loose" no one who has the best interests of the town is probably all that worried. You don't go crazy and run out onto the windswept ice sheet in the dark to become a threat later. You do so to go freeze to death. Dadcop is super interested and finding and killing that guy, lying to his good old boys about him being armed and dangerous, and shrugging off the "we want him alive right?" comment. He wants that last scientist dead, and its not because he's a genuine threat to the town. And even if he was a danger to the town, what are they supposed to do about it that they aren't doing already? Lock the town down? Post sentries at the gates?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been less than 72 hours since they found the bodies, again, during the holidays. I think you're ignoring just how isolated the place is. They specifically said there was a blizzard and the only means of reaching town, by air, is cut off. There very well could be some reporters covering the story already, and maybe even one was booked on the next flight along with the forensics guy who is also trying his best to get there, but the fact that they're not already on the ground in Ennis isn't at all surprising. It would be kind of stupid if there were.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Deadite posted:

They don't have to show a press conference, they could just have a quick scene where Danvers gets a call from a reporter, or even have Pete mention that some news channel called about the case. As it currently is it appears that nobody cares that these deaths happened, even the cops don't seem too interested in it

It doesn't even seem like any families have called asking where their relatives are. They identified the Russian scientist from his wedding ring so you'd think he has a wife out there somewhere

In the first episode there's a cop in the background trying to explain to one of the families that they were missing, but they're from Spain and don't speak english and it's really not going very well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Two of the mysteries have been solved. We know the one lady died in an ice cave, terrified, by what sounds like some eldritch monster poo poo.

We also learned what your mother sucks in hell

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Jump scares suck and are lazy.

Mazzy Star rules.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

For being such an ominous and evil presence in the town, the mine hasn’t really done anything especially evil in the series so far, other than poison the water supply.

This made me lol.

Are you the CEO of Nestle?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can either talk about your very real, actual experiences with ghosts, or you can poo poo on other people for their ignorance, but if you try to do both at once that's where you lose me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GABA ghoul posted:

With all these ghost jump scares this doesn't feel like True Detective at all anymore. It's clearly a completely new IP that they just rebranded during pre-production.

Admittedly, I did sleep through most of the episode but from reading this thread I didn't really miss anything important so my opinion still stands

Yeah, after the last episode I'm pretty sure the ending is gonna be a ghost did it and everything that happened can be explained as spooky ghost behavior and doesn't need any more consistency or explanation beyond that. Which is lame and why ghost stories suck.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Question for the showrunner, if this season is so "female" then why is the town called Ennis and not Aginna?

Patriarchy exposed. GOTEM

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why does my TV App say this is airing tonight? Why would they change it?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The threads ability to pay attention is getting more and more embarrassing.

I know its way more fun for you to post about if Danver's daughter was like 25 banging a 15yo but that's not the case. She's 17 and her (ex) gf is 16. The eagerness for there to be a pedo to be outraged over is getting tiresome.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

covidstomper58 posted:

We need to get Otis out of jail and get him to help us navigate the caves.

I'm going to steal some heroin out of the evidence room against my strong convictions to get him focused enough to do it.

Sol Star shoots Otis twice.

Freshman shoots Sol Star.

Navarro tells the freshman to clean up these bodies and dump them there.

Navarro tells Captain Danvers we need to go investigate the caves right now, apparently they don't need Otis anymore.

I'm sorry about your media literacy. Good job counting to two though, you got that right.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Petey knows why is marriage is falling apart and says as much, she resents him because they got pregnant and married too young. All the work stuff is just a convenient excuse to lash out. Most of this could have been avoided with a throwaway line from him saying something like "This is a really big case and things will calm back down again soon" as an attempted defense. I don't think he bothered because he knew that wasn't really the issue anyways.

Hawkes is both easily bought and an idiot. Yeah he said he wasn't a killer and the silently relented a few seconds later. His plan was to go pick up Oates from whatever holding cell or rehab he was in, and "transfer" him to wherever the "warrant" was, in reality he would just disappear. I'm sure he justified it to himself by thinking the dude is just a junkie and would probably be dead soon anyways. He never intended to kill Danvers, but he never intended to find the Oates actually in Danvers house either, and since he's so bad at like, everything, he didn't think his next steps through very well. Plus he really hates Danvers anyways.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tender Bender posted:

I mean I think it's important that this isn't really conveyed as Pete being especially driven by the case itself, but more by his relationship to Danvers as his boss/mother/(wife?) figure. He's getting called away by her and what she wants which is how it's framed in conversations with his wife and father, it's not "can you quit this case", it's "can you stop jumping whenever she snaps her fingers". And it also seems depicted that what Danvers is asking him to do is excessive and may be more exaggerated by her.

That's fair. She's clearly a mentor figure and an extremely demanding one.

I don't know why people keep suggesting a sexual relationship though. Is it just cause she likes to gently caress? There's never been anything even hinting at sexual tension between the two. Pete might be the only guy she's not going after.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Some other goon made a prediction a few days ago and the more I think about it, the more I think they're probably right; the cave is full of ancient native artifacts and cave paintings and poo poo. The mine knows if anyone finds out, it will become a protected site and shut down their operation. They killed Annie to cover it up. The deaths and bad water are just normal mine stuff.

It's gonna be a LOST situation where everything else is just a big shrug. You can assume its a ghost or native mysticism or something if you want I guess, but that's as many dots as the show is going to connect for you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is there some kind of scraping script that regularly scans all of SA for mentions of LOST? I've never seen it mentioned once, anywhere, in any thread, without some rear end in a top hat rolling in a day later to defend it's honor.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Nobody lives in Alaska without having a few portable space heaters around. I don't actually need to physically see a space heater and watch a character plug it in and turn on to believe that there might be one around. I guess others do. Are people sometimes confused when characters just show up in other locations on a show? They didn't show any sort of car or transportation, we never saw them drive there, yet this person is suddenly several miles away from where we last saw them! I hope someone got fired for that gaping plot hole!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

Danvers doesn't have enough life experience if she plans on going into a dangerous ice cave pretty much nobody knows about or could find their planned entrance into, an ice cave where at least one person was murdered, taking with her only her volatile partner who she just recently encountered catatonic and bleeding from her ears, with a heroin addict she had seen cowering under pressure as their guide.

It's almost as if her life is falling apart, there's multiple dead bodies in her living room, and her bosses are trying blackmail her for murder.

She's not making good decisions, she's making the only choice left to her, despite it being extremely dangerous and a longshot. The only real alternative is to sit around and wait to be arrested by someone she already knows is a crooked cop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The show is good. Jody Foster is great. Goons are perpetually miserably and also terrible at watching TV as always, which is why half the thread is bitching about how awful the show is and the other half is just making fun of them for their hilariously bad takes where they miss obvious parts of the story. Like space heaters.

It's not S1 of course, and the biggest departure seems to be ghosts are real and show up a lot, sometimes for a spooky jumpscare and sometimes to actually progress the plot.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They made a big deal of actually filming in Iceland during the winter and many (most? all?) of the outside scenes are actually filmed in freezing weather.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was perfectly willing to cover for her daughter when she thought she was a perpetrator of statutory rape,

Goons once again choose performative internet outrage over basic media literacy. There was never a moment where Danvers thought her daughter was engaging in statutory rape. There was a brief period where we, as the audience, did not know how old her daughter was as a result didn't know how serious the situation might be. But Danvers always knew how old her daughter was and always knew they were both minors because it's her daughter and of course she knew how old her daughter was you idiot.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What was that playing during the seal team six assault on the science base? Was that supposed to be part of the sound track, or were the cleaning ladies making those noises in the actual scene? Was that a song?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how much are HBO paying these loving morons

Is it kind of weird that was published minutes after the episode aired? Or did he write it based on an advanced copy? I don't really know how Tv "reviews" normally work. Don't they normally only get the first few episodes?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kawabata posted:

Yep. The family drama worked very well in the first season too.

But that was 2014. There was more courage in doing whatever you wanted to do, we live in very different times now. I'm all for inclusivity in Hollywood/TV when it doesn't make the poo poo I'm watching preachy as gently caress (even when I agree with what's preaching, I feel it's a dumb thing to do) and when it doesn't become tokenism just for the sake of it. Lopez got a bit overboard with the "men are dumb or violent or handsome angels waiting for the hero woman to come back home" tropes that we've been seeing all over tv for the past 3 years or so.

And yeah this last episode felt like a feminist's wet dream at times. Just very silly stuff.

It did really feel like they started with "What if a bunch of oppressed middle aged indigenous ladies had a super badass scene where they violently murder some pudgy white nerd men, but like, it's good murder and everyone cheers" and worked their way backwards from there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I sure thought it was a choice that this "Female Forward" story with two nuanced, flawed female lead characters had to rely on their male coworker to do a ton of the legwork off screen for them.

Feel free to dig into my post history, I have no idea what kind of trash I was posting 8 years ago, but I bet it was absolutely dire. Like, even worse than now if you can believe it. We could all use a cringey laugh.

right arm posted:

Lmfao remembering the scene of fat old women slowly assembling

incredible finale

It was pretty funny how they just come out from whatever bedroom in the back they're all waiting in, one by one, to stand there and look intimidating to the two armed cops. Were they all standing in the hallway waiting their turn, like mooks in a video game?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I did enjoy the Scooby Doo moments.

Let's follow these watery footprints that also go through a wall...

That started out as a pretty cool shot, we see the bare floor, pan up, pan back down and now there are footprints.

Too bad it didn't amount of anything, just like everything else.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Turpitude posted:

I don't think the scientists were lying about their research, they may have genuinely believed they were trying to do something really good. But why should we believe them, or trust their point of view, when they are complicit in all the evil going on just outside their little enclave?

Because if they really are scientists, then there should be tons of evidence to support a claim like that. Or they're just crackpots posing as scientists who have turned a theory into an irrational obsession worth killing for. Leaving that part ambiguous is not a great message when bullshit anti science stuff is on the rise like antivaxxers and climate change deniers. I guess after the whole plot point where more pollution helps them extract a delicate frozen microbe from the permafrost intact is already so loving stupid and backwards and dangerous that this whole clusterfuck of a story is already beyond redemption anyways.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Doltos posted:

I dunno the vigilante scene felt a little overboard cruel. Like how could the indigenous women know that every scientist was complicit in the murder of Annie K? They only saw the stab wound and loosely tied the murder to at least one scientist, but how could they know for certain it was all of them being complicit? It'd sure suck to send someone who had no idea if it even happened out naked on the ice sheet to get swept up by a malevolent guardian spirit.

If they established the scientist characters more maybe it'd feel cathartic. Like maybe make a couple of them have speaking parts and have lines where they're dicks/flippant about the whole situation. I dunno. Felt empty.

Remember that scene that establishes that one science as an unrepentant rear end in a top hat by *checks notes* making a sandwich and facetiming with his family back in Spain, who love and miss him? Yeah, gently caress him, I hope he's one of the ones that clawed their eyes out before dying in agony! gently caress ya, empowerment! Glad his kids don't have a dad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it's excusable but mainly weird because it feels like a dumb explanation you'd introduce in a later season when you realized you didn't have a good answer to a mystery you'd already committed to. Odd that they didn't just rewrite it to be less specifically contrived.

It think it's excusable because it's one sort-of weak plot point in an otherwise very solid story.

You could point to any one aspect of Night Country and say that is just as weak and contrived (if you squint) but the problem is that every aspect if Night Country is weak and contrived.