Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

Yeah...watched S1 when it first came out. Binged it a few days ago. There is definitely a difference lol.

I will say Ennis County Memorial Hospital seems like a world class large hospital and bustling for the size of the community. Yet they need a vet to look at some corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Deadite posted:

They also rounded up a posse of rednecks to hunt down the suspect

Ah yes, I enjoyed the horn sound of the General Lee to pound that into the viewer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheBizzness posted:

The most recent episode was not good imo but I still have hope.

Yeah, a lot of folks thought the same thing on the Titanic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That ending escalated quickly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

fullroundaction posted:

Final shot is going to be evil prior’s Russian mail order bride finally arriving and all of the remaining cast standing around laughing with their hands on their hips.

Whatever resolution we get next week is going to be dumb as hell and I’m excited to find out what it is.

Given that they basically adlibbed the ending of episode 5, maybe that's how they ended up doing the entirety of 6.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheBizzness posted:

Good news! She’s about to attempt a bigger more significant cover up!

And somehow it will involve a space heater.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Despera posted:

jesus christ his name was velcoro

Yeah...season 2 wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Origami Dali posted:

the light ain't winning

The viewers aren't either.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm rewatching TD season one and gently caress almighty is it ever engaging. Like I've seen it a bunch of times now and obviously its reputation is sterling so it's entirely old news how great it is, but it catches me by surprise every single time with how hard it is to not just immediately start playing the next episode. Even if it's fuckin' two in the morning and I need sleep.

I always enjoyed the extended car rides and how the conversations evolved as time went on. You start with Marty basically saying to Rust...STFU, you are insulting our culture...to nodding his head sagely a few episodes later maybe realizing the insomniac-quasi-junkie does actually have a few nuggets of wisdom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I did enjoy the Scooby Doo moments.

Let's follow these watery footprints that also go through a wall...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like to think if Marty visited to help with this case, he would pronounce the town as "anus".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It is apparent that most of you do not understand good TV.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This show could have redeemed itself if it warmed up Danvers next to a dumpster fire.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

God help me, strapping in to watch S2 again after binging S1 a few weeks ago.

Will give it a fair shake. Now that I have a refresher of the absurdity of having 100 characters that don't mean much I might appreciate it more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Twelve minutes in, got the "Don't be hungry and don't eat even if you are hungry line."

:negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Made it through around 15 minutes of S02E01 of True Detective. Not bad for a first day viewing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cithen posted:

Who are the actual True Detectives in the series?

My list:
Rust
Marty (but only after green ears discovery)
Bezzerides
Velcoro
Woodrugh
Hays
Peter Prior

I don't think I see Danvers or Navarro as True Detectives as they seemed so disinterested in basic stuff like clues. Danvers may have been a True Detective once, but lost it. Even though Navarro pushed to pursue the case, she also seemed constantly distracted.

Dixon. Drunk and didn't give a gently caress.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm going to admit to the error of my ways.

Season 2 slaps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cithen posted:

Season 2 is legitimately :krad:. It just suffers from being not Season 1.

The problem I had with 2 at the time it came out was...it was just a freaking onslaught of characters thrown at you week after week. I remember reading a synopsis of what was going on at the time to try to get a handle on it.

Anyways, before my now ongoing rewatch, viewed another video that breaks it down quite nicely which makes it more enjoyable since you can pay attention and laugh at more of the absurdity of it all.

Yeah, of course the VV lines...but always a good chuckle when someone responds back to him with just a goofy reply and VV does the ... back. lulz

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also lol at the cowboy scene wtf was that?

He was dreaming about a fake elvis singing on stage while talking to his dad at the dive bar.

e: was beaten by a country mile.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 25, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ray, the duality of man in a cosmic sense is that some prefer steak and some prefer the sizzle. Myself, I focus on the baked potato for my spiritual consumption.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just finished S2. It fucks.

Forgot about the batshit train station poo poo. Hell Frank had basically the entire weaponry of Tunisia's army in some poo poo speakeasy with substandard mattresses. I remember chuckling a few episodes back on that laundry list on a notepad that looks like some intern wrote it needing shotguns and grenade launchers down to the model types.

With Velcoro strutting around in a cowboy hat to avoid authorities with that disguise (might be what another poster was hallucinating further up)...to the Brother going nutso and then everyone including Holloway getting lit up by friendly fire. Greatness.

Is the ending perfect? Hell no. I would have made several changes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lampsacus posted:

Hell yeah. I think one fun/interesting component of the ending was watching Frank almost escape to South America so many times. He had so many chances to leave with his life but kept going back for one more thing and then "i want my jacket back" hahaha powpow

There was a lot going on that whole freight-train-sized from hell plot. He knew he needed more cash to bring him back to "whole" (or where his previous life was) along with his wife.

And then you realize his thinking/ways is during the desert march.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

covidstomper58 posted:

Velcoral Farrel's dad complaining about the last batch of weed his son brought him was funny too.

I liked how velcarro's glove box had every fix for every type of bender.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The twist is he has a later stage of dementia, somehow buys some random plane ticket, ends up in Ennis and solves the drat thing within 5 minutes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sometimes your worst self, is your best self.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Started a s2 rewatch and there is absolutely no doubt that it slaps. It's all so extremely over the top though. Vslcoro just wailing on rear end pen's dad with some brass knuckles, Ani stashing something like 10 knives all over her body or Woodrow's maximally oblivious girlfriend. And everything and everyone is just so miserable and angry. But it all still kinda works because there is also some weird levity to all of it due to the jokes and it refusing to take itself seriously.

I like how individually, at the start they weren't too bad...by the end they were even more hosed up disasters.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good question. I wonder what her team name was as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cool...but need to have Danver's shed in that as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Finally finished the s2 rewatch and it's really, really good. I would put it on almost the same level as s1 now. Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool, rewatch it!

I tried looking online why I(and most other people) had such a mixed impression of it back then and most threads on Reddit have the same pattern where almost all the >5 years old posts are hating on it for pedantic reasons and every newer post made after the initial release is loving and praising it. Must have been a planet wide gas leak or something around the release date.

Said it before, it threw so much at you, and you didn't have the ability to binge watch to remember 40 characters that are running around week after week. That and S1 had the detectives at a crime scene within the first few minutes. S2 took until the end of the episode after some ham-fisted writing for them to get there. And of course, VV's dialogue.

But yeah, it's great. Rewatch with subtitles on. It is somewhat funny on things I would have missed without them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Technowrite posted:

WELP

Maybe the Night Country was the friends we made along the way.

I really, really hate endings like this. All of it made sense until the last scene.

Time to fire up S2.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’ve only seen Season 1 (and one episode of 4 lol) because I saw the bad reviews when 2 came out and wrote it off. Started watching it finally after listening to the recent trueanon episode reviewing the show as a whole. It’s pretty good, and takes on new meaning post-Epstein. The dialogue is clunky and there are some confounding editing decisions here and there. Otherwise I don’t get the hate.

When you weren't able to binge it...it was a mess to follow with all the characters and yeah, the editing that switched gears every 2 minutes. Requires a 2nd viewing to fully comprehend the greatness of the antics of Ray Velcoro.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The_Rob posted:

Him having an existential crisis because of a stain on his ceiling is one of the best scenes in the entire series. He rules.

Premise is this...

Frank is/was basically a low-level gangster attempting to turn into something more professional. All of it is an act which he is doing poorly at to appear as some educated hack.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kosmo Gallion posted:

All Frank's allies realised what a dork he was so quite rightly ripped him off.

Yeah mostly. There were a lot of hodgepodge moments in there. The whole fist fight (no need to remove the rings) scene brought Frank back into the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, thought about that.

"Sorry sis and dad, I just hosed up your lives basically forever."