Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not a fan of the opening theme for this season which is a bummer because watching the openings for the previous three was at least a good way to settle into the episode viewing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gammorah is fantastico

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tigers Are Not Afraid is a four star movie to me so I’m still on board but that first ep definitely tempered my expectations

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did they do oners in s2 and s3 like they did the biker shootout in s1?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forgot how strong the s2 premiere is. Ray is dangerously close to being the best character of the entire series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a gbs true detective thread that’s a trash bag of garbage water, but I do agree with this poster.

Smugworth posted:

I do wish Jodie Fosters character would have said "I'm just a regular type chick with a big rear end pussy"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Finished s2 the other night and I wanna see Burris show back up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The chupacabra talk, a cryptid whose origins date back to Puerto Rico in the 90s, really made me cringe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Panzeh posted:

It felt like they wanted to write a Rust and Marty Car Convo with some of the beliefs reversed but yeah i think it's just not as confidently done.

“I don’t sleep, I just dream” only really worked because it was Matthew McConaughey delivering the line to a pissed off Woody Harrelson. I can’t think of two other actors who can toss each other meatballs like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who’s the kindest true detective? I vote Hays in season 3. Taylor Kitsch didn’t seem too bad either.

The scene where Hays says he’s going to cry if his wife keeps fighting with him is really good.

He’s got a ton of sweet moments in s3 come to think of it.

Except the times when he’s threatening people with prison rape.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

S3 ends on probably the best shot of the entire series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

That episode went hard

Because of this post I was expecting the midseason shootout (projects stash house in s1, vinci drug lab in s2, Vietnam vet house in s3).

Guessing we’re not going to get such a set piece this season.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2 more episodes and we’re back in the real night country.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Anything short of "mass psychological issues caused by released ancient virus" will be lame. Previous mental illness issues exacerbating the virus pan out well.

So basically season 3 but if the conspiracy theorist documentary filmmaker was 100% right.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Nearly four seasons in, and they STILL haven’t shown us who the True Detective is.

e: also, from Reddit:

For a second I thought he was going to say his mom was also the town bike.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if some hbo guy wanted the Outsider to be released as a True Detective season.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if Navarro’s “one of these days those dogs are going to eat you” line to Qaavik is going to end up coming to pass.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was hoping for more Chicago references, we got two direct ones and one indirect one in the first episode and then nothing after.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did people at the time think the killer reveal in season one was pretty stupid? He’s not a really great or interesting element compared to the rest, imo.

Pretty sure a goon called it when he first showed up on the lawnmower.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

I’ve tried my best to find the thread from Season 1 but I have failed you all.

I think someone linked to it a few pages back.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Interesting, dramatic ep…then I busted out laughing at the final needle drop.

Hahhahhahahahahah

I can’t wait for the season finale’s somber cover of cotton eye joe over the closing credits.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Think Pete! Think!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone recut the opening with the John hawkes song.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Honestly, cool. If you're going to do a mid crime mystery show give us more ones that swing for a setting like Alaska and does weird poo poo with polar bears over a generic one set in Chicago.

Dang what did Chicago ever do to you?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Not make 25 or 6 to 4 at least a couple minutes longer

Fair.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Yea. Mahershala and Stephen Dorff were good as hell tho.

Looking good Purple! Who’s the old man?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah...season 2 wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

If Shakespeare had more characters telling someone they’ll buttfuck their father with their mom’s headless corpse, I’d probably read more Shakespeare.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

That was terrible but I did like that the reveal was something no one even came close to guessing.

I didn’t hate the ride at least.

Goons in this thread called the three fingered lady being an accessory pretty early.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

the cleaning lady out-detectives the gently caress out of jodie foster btw, she understood everything just by noticing where the soap went, meanwhile dumb danvers missed a whole hatch

She didn’t ask the right questions!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never got the eagles flying into Mordor crit, there’s a giant goddamn tower with a huge eyeball at the top watching the drat place.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Yeah that's fair. I just don't think every season has to end nihilistically.

Which seasons ended nihilistically besides maybe season 2?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope Lopez says season 5 is about the secret occult history of the US transportation system.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How were the ratings for s2?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Nails was such a terrible name until he explained his back story and then I was like okay, this is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They had post show interviews with the creators and actors along with behind the scenes footage from the episode but I don’t think they did that with this season.