Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the seasons fine so far. It's got fine acting and an interesting plot that seems about as much of a blend of grounded reality and the occult as S1. I don't really care about the tie ins too much. I can see people not liking the two cop leads since being a complete rear end in a top hat isn't an endearing quality in any character.

The only glaring problem I see so far is the sound mixing. Ferris Buehler blasting throughout the opening scene was pretty annoying, as was the drunk women screaming and the closing song over Ep1. Just way too loud while characters are talking. I'm not sure of that's intent or not but drat if it's not causing me to drop the volume sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I meant more that S1 wasn't that grounded in reality either which makes it okay that this season isn't. I don't know of many detectives that deal with a serial killer that's part of a cult that they have to chase through his evil den before fighting the guy while he's quoting the King in Yellow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I AM GRANDO posted:

Posting is usually a mistake unless you’re promoting something. It doesn’t usually reflect well on public figures to complain about what other people are doing. Compare something like those Instagram posts to the usual anodyne “I wasn’t involved in this season but I wish them well and I’m glad if you’re enjoying it” that a corpo pr charm school would teach you to write. There’s nothing good that can come from saying you think hbo is stupid. 1) it’s obviously true and everyone already knows it and 2) now the actor he says says he likes and respects is put in the position of having to respond to internet weirdos, or at least of having had public perception of him altered by that post. Although this last one is complicated by hbo teasing his return, which obviously won’t happen but now is generating that kind of dumb attention.

Wouldn’t you rather be thought of as gracious rather than petty or resentful? They’re not going to hire you to write more Blade movies if they know you disparage product.

Yeah the #1 rule in show business is to love everything. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, just nothing good usually comes from being critical as a public facing figure. You either galvanize a side that already agrees with you or you just come off as a whiny complainer to those who don't. I get a lot more brand deals streaming when I praise everything coming across my email than if I give my honest opinion on a video game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The_Rob posted:

I’m sorry but this sucks rear end.

It does but the thousand dollar checks for playing a video game for 2 hours certainly don't

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If it makes you feel better I make less than a McDonalds employee yearly. It's just the game you have to play if you want to work with people or be offered chances.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't actively listen to Billie Eilish but I generally enjoy her music when I hear it. I have a hard time thinking of any intro song that I like after the first few episodes and don't just skip over later, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It'd be neat if they pulled a reversal and made Jodie Foster a dirty cop. If she did find the abuser alive at the murder scene then what else is she lying about?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the problem with this season is that everyone's just a mean, nasty rear end in a top hat for no good reason. Peter is like the only person who isn't a complete douchebag to other characters. His girlfriend calls him stupid and demeans him. Danvers is just a mean boss. Navarro kinda sexual assaulted a guy in episode 1 and then showed up on his doorstep when he told her not to... and she's a lead character we're supposed to cheer for. Hank is just a seedy creep. Every town member is either stupid, incompetent, or mean. I don't know who we're supposed to cheer for.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The two leads being assholes is applicable here because S1 is defined more by McConaughey and Harrelson than the story, I think. They had complex characters that weren't exactly nice or good people but were somewhat understandable and relatable.

I don't even think it's Foster or Reis at fault. The writing itself seems thin across the board. Nothing seems particularly fleshed out, from the other townsfolk to the town itself. So far the most development has been with the indigenous people, which is fine, but there's a bunch of other threads just hanging.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't mind all the main characters being butts. S1 had Rust tell a woman to kill herself, among other things. It was way stronger, but the core of the show is that you have grizzled detectives who won't let a case go and how they eventually and at cost solve it. Taking inspiration from Sherlock Holmes, the only thing that matters is that the case gets solved. Them being assholes feeds into that - they may be awful and a mess, but dammit, they're going to find absolution through the good deed of figuring this poo poo out.

I don't think it's a huge deal it's just that the characters need to be fleshed out more for audiences to want to watch them. Navarro is starting to make more sense why she acts the way she does because they finally tapped into her back story a bit. She got abandoned, she's frustrated about the handling of a case she found important, she's got a crazy sister she has to worry about. It took three episodes to do it so the pacing is a bit off.

It seems that Danvers' backstory is an intentional mystery but that makes her more frustrating than fun. Like they keep having Danvers and Navarro go at odds with each other but there doesn't seem to be any spark there besides that they're both gruff. Same with Danvers and Hank or how Danvers interacts with her daughter. It should be a big deal that she tried to wipe off all of her daughter's face markings.
There's a ton of stuff to work with there if they just gave a better insight on Danvers as a person. Episodes 2 and 3 should have explored her more than they did.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Definitely want to see Danvers be the villain

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The jump scares in this are identical to Grave Encounters. Open mouth pointing. It's so incredibly lazy. A product of zero ambiance on the mystical side of this season.

They should have either grounded the season completely in reality or gone full into the horror. If they went full realistic it could have been a great story about figuring out the cold case murder while dealing with resistant locals from the tribes and the town. If they went full horror they could have explored more ghost stuff and tundra mysticism without it being jarring.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Whale Vomit posted:

But of all the characters, Danvers confuses me. Was she mocking, or pointing out Navarro's mental illness when she accused her of seeing ghosts? If that's the case, she's an unhinged rear end in a top hat for no reason, like when she went full joker about prayer.

I really hope they're making her a complex character that turns into a blatant villain. Like making Peter go out on Christmas Eve then using it as an excuse to get her daughter off being rung up on vandalism. If they make her heroic then I guess she's just an unhinged rear end in a top hat.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sickening posted:

:hmmyes: :same:

I have only one other current tv show I am watching right now and yall doom posting the decent shows is a bummer.

I think it's totally realistic that people hate watch a show they used to like because it's fun to hate on things. Same reason people doom scroll.

I think it's also totally realistic that a lot of people would watch a show full of unrelenting assholes and weak development of the plot and not like it. The why do people hate this show?? posts are as bad as the I hate this show but I'm still watching it posts. Wanting to surround shows with constant praise is tiresome. People are allowed to dislike things and still continue to watch them just how people are allowed to like things that are bad but popular.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Reviewers get more work when they positively review things in the same way that Beanie Baby magazines that said all of them were worth a lot sold more than ones that didn't.

There's also the issue where Rotten Tomatoes has no nuance in their scoring. Someone can say the show is alright but has a lot of problems and still give it the equivalent score of a glowing praise blurb. Like this review right here:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The sign that something is bad is, was, and always will be directly correlated to how many people are arguing if the show is bad or not

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was thinking that Danvers sees the same ghosts that Navarro does but she's in denial but it doesn't seem that fleshed out as a concept

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I don't remember the actor from anything other than Boardwalk Empire I don't think he was that significant in that either.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Jumped around out of curiosity and yea some people just got it from the jump. Big ups to the guy who up until the last episode was sure that Marty was going to be the killer. Or the guy who upon being shown the man with the scarred face saying he’s the killer along with ominous music posted ‘I’m not convinced he’s the killer’.

I'm too dumb at detective stuff and was convinced that the killer was going to be someone who wasn't introduced in the show until then and not a character we've seen already

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Things finally happened!! I like the season being a Pete torture fest.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The REAL Goobusters posted:

a lot of critics online are mad about the negative reception is getting as they keep lavishing the show with praise. So in that sense its different.

Happens a lot to counteract the sheer negativity that usually surrounds women main characters. I call it the Selena Gomez Effect when someone does a good job but gets unnecessary hate so the praise goes overboard to ridiculous.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

I hate the way this show looks, I think it's the lighting? Every interior scene is lit exactly the same regardless of what light sources are or aren't present and it makes everything look flat like a fake show people watch in a real show or something.

I think lighting matters a lot for horror and the way they lit the show ruins whatever supernatural ghost stuff they want to do. It's washed out in normal scenes and during dramatic scenes they're either shooting day for night, have the lights too low, or the lights are too far away. The camera angles are all off too. They shot the ghost from a higher angle which diminishes any intimidation it might have.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ravenfood posted:

Her utter self-assurance that She is Right and that nothing bad will happen seems pretty teen-like.

Zero thought that maybe the person who is investigating the murder of an activist indigenous woman might be worried that her step daughter is becoming more of an activist for reasons that aren't "she thinks the mine is good, actually".

Of course Danvers doesn't exactly help the situation either.

Yeah I thought the character is supposed to be 17ish with how she looks and acts. She's incredibly stupid, mean to her mother, zealous about some political issue, and having stupid sex. All things that point direclty at teenager.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On top of that I think they're going to coward out and not make Danvers or Navarro bad cops

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm sorry about your media literacy. Good job counting to two though, you got that right.

I think a lot of people in this thread have showcased confusion about the season plot points because the episodes are plodding, there's a ton of loose threads everywhere, and characters establish something once in a line lost in a myriad of other lines.

mrmcd posted:

Honestly the whole thing with Prior Jrs wife getting angry and kicking him out seems a little forced. Afaict she's mad at him for going to work and having a disrespectful boss? I mean he should try to stick up for himself more and push back on having no home and family time but she immediately goes to "You son of a bitch how could you not quit your job the moment your boss demands overtime on a big murder case? Get out of the house you're never seeing your child again."

Yeah she's either a complete rear end in a top hat that doesn't understand sympathy or it's just bad writing. A common trope across many characters this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Turpitude posted:

Imagine being a single mom in that town. Permanent depression and exhaustion status while trying to meet the needs of a high energy child who you have to breastfeed because there is no clean water. Everyone is having stillbirths and you can't tell if your kid is hosed up from the chemicals you ingested while living here or just a weird kid because they live in this horrible place. She can't help but be pissed off at highschool bf husband because she has a ton of unmet needs and she cannot rely on him because he is just never there.

None of the supposed negligence that Pete does is shown. If they had time to develop the character and have him constantly missing out on things maybe she'd have a point but the audience doesn't see it. What they do show is her being mean as gently caress to Pete repeatedly. If you swapped their personalities people would be sympathetic, instead the character just comes off as unreasonable and bitter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

The fact that this has been an ongoing thing is really clearly communicated in like every scene involving these two characters. There are a lot of problems with this season but this isn't one of them.

Completely disagree. It's mentioned in two conversations and bookends her calling Pete stupid.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat who woulda thought people would like to be shown and not told in their media

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You can tell this season is top notch with the amount of people going eh this wasn't done that well and then having a zealot pop in defending the crappy story telling like it's Citizen Kane

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

They do show it, multiple times, while communicating that it is a longer running issue than the ~ two weeks this season has covered.

What I actually said:

You: "Wow so you think this is Citizen Kane?"

Yeah I can see that, I just don't feel like this is a remotely confusing or unclear part of the season. Partly because it's conveyed using bog-standard "busy cop life" tropes as a crutch.

drat you're tedious

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sethsez posted:

It's confusing because "busy cop life" tropes don't really function on something as grotesque as this for as small of a time scale as we've had. Yeah, there have obviously been issues before this, but if she can't handle him taking a week to handle a case this intense then it's hard to picture how she stuck around this long in the first place. If it were "just another murder" or had been going for months it'd track much better, but you can't really tack the aggrieved cop wife trope onto the case that actually exists here without some tweaking.

It's the main issue. Whatever they want to convey is getting lost with the nature of the crime and the pacing of the episodes. Maybe if they had more time to reinforce it it'd be fine but I don't blame anyone for finding the dysfunctional relationship unconvincing when it gets barely any screen time among all the other stuff they're trying to shove into 6 episodes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's a bit more annoying that people can't conceive that viewers would fine the poorly plotted out TV show difficult to fully absorb but to each their own I guess

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it was lucky to get made since it was a solo production that had to sell itself as a True Detective season. I think the season has a lot of good ideas but to get it all done well in 6 episodes is impossible.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

College Rockout posted:

John Hawkes in the car: "I'm not a killer"

10 minutes later

*double taps a guy walking away*

:thunk:

It could have worked if they spent more time making Hawkes a liar or a craven coward. He comes off as a little hopeless with divorced dad energy instead of desperate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sethsez posted:

Like I said, I understand what the intent is, I just don't think the execution is hitting the right notes to sell it. Plenty of other media has done this exact same plot so it's far from an unfamiliar structure.

And I've been pretty positive on this season overall, so it's not like I'm looking for reasons to hate it.

I think the issue is that people have been clear over and over that they recognize what the show is doing but are complaining that the show is telling them and not showing it. Even if it's an obvious motif it can still be done poorly. The guy you're replying to is unable to come to terms with that and thinks he's an enlightened television watcher.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Navarro being a rageaholic and doing bad policework from it is an intriguing character trait but then they kind of take the wind out of her sails by giving her legitimate things to be mad about while being way more interested in helping people than Danvers is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
edit stupid feud stuff that doens't matter

Doltos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 13, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's no feud I just think the show could be better at showing and not telling and some goon pulled up a post from 2 pages ago to instigate. I don't even disagree with half the posts you're making.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They could have put in a throwaway line of Hawkes handing him a space heater but I've never seen a heated shed ever in cold climate areas I didn't even know people would waste time on that, it's a shed.

Still a minor problem but indicative of the writing as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Navarro: Why did they walk out naked

Danvers: Wrong question

Navarro: were they scar-

Danvers: Wrong Question

Navarro: ... where was the space heater.

*danvers nods*