Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hit 20 and picked up the Spear and I am confused what its niche is. It wouldn't lock on if a big guy is too close, it misses AT-STs and it locks onto the middle of dropships. I swapped back to my recoilless and life was good again, but I'm still left wondering what the Spear gets you for being so temperamental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Triarii posted:

I kinda hope those mission debuffs get reworked at some point because they're kind of miserable right now. DRG's manage to be much more interesting by giving you an extra problem to deal with on the mission rather than just making part of your kit suck.

For example, how about a modifier on bug missions that makes 2-3 extra stalker nests spawn in addition to the usual ones.

The stratagem scrambler is funny the first time but it gets old fast and then it feels like I'm just doing the fastest input 3 or 4 times trying to get the strat I need in the moment.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Protoss would complete the triangle.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't like fighting Chargers. I'm confused that shooting it in the rear end doesn't seem to work, and you instead need to break armor off a leg to kill it. I do most of my fighting on the automaton front, where you can shoot a tank in the rear end and make it explode. I hope the developers can see their exciting and genuinely enjoyable world through my eyes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you use a grenade launcher against bugs you can take a charger down in just a few butt shots, explosive damage does 100% damage there. Grenade launcher is also just insanely good against bugs paired with a supply pack anyway.

A lot of people find bots easier but I think it's just familiarity because I find bugs very easy but I am terrified of bots because of how hard they own me if I have even part of one limb exposed. Overall very much appreciate the design of how different the factions are to play against and how much familiarity seems to help with feeling confident about them. Can't wait for the third to get added eventually!!

My current method for the bugs is to bring a guard dog and a stalwart but I've recently learned about the arc thrower and have seen a lot of success using it on bugs. I learned that I can throw my unused support and backpack weapon calls at chargers and they are like having bonus orbital railgun uses. If you do this with the guard dog you just get a fresh guard dog and your friends get a guard dog to refill on the next resupply, which you can also call as an orbital railgun shot on another charger.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In a quickplay game, a stranger throws my respawn beacon directly at the flamethrower hulk. I appreciate your confidence in me but I am not a hand grenade.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

johnny park posted:

You're shot out of a cannon in a bullet-shaped pod. You sure about that?

You know what, you're right. I am a hand grenade.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They suffered from what???

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Yes. Having played extensively with the Maxed Sweatlords there are people who do this. Not everyone but they exist in great enough numbers some etiquette has been spread around.

1.) You must ask first to see if people agree, you do not call it down without asking
2.) Someone runs to extract to throw a resupply first thing so it's there during the end of the mission
3.) You take one supply unless someone else doesn't take one, then the remaining ones are first come first serve
4.) The host can do whatever they want gently caress you

I had to sit through some breathless lectures because a rambo was calling down supplies every single time for themselves solo across the map and the host died after running out of stims.

All it does is make people not use the resupply and it sits available after people who use it get kicked. The sweats want it ready when they need it. When they stop gunkataing because their meta weapon is dry the resupply better be available for them.

If my drone is hungry I'm calling a resupply, simple as that. I got a family to feed.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Come on, ref.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

EAT and RR are nice but it's good to get used to how to do unsafe railgun shots. Supposedly controller makes it easier because there's a rumble, whereas on KBM there's no indicator on screen or anything that your railgun is about to take your arms off.

On the other hand, the round still fires if your railgun explodes, so... technically still a good shot!

In ADS mode the railgun has a little rising power meter that starts inching closer to the top after a pause when you charge it in unsafe mode.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Triarii posted:

One thing you can do with the AC against dropships is to put a few rounds into the troops hanging underneath it as it flies in. You can pretty reliably kill all the small/medium stuff before they can detach.

You can splash grenade launcher rounds up into the underside of the ship and kill most of the trash enemies before they drop.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Welcome to Hellodivers, Friendly Company. We do things a little different in this camp.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I got to see my first level 9 bug mission and hoo nelly that was a lot of chargers.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I will be the first one to say it: if they nerfed the Breaker, the Shield and the Railgun, I don't see how they won't nerf the Mech, because at least against Terminids is SO GOOD.

There isn't a way to reload the mechs when they run out of ammo, right? That seems like a big limiting factor.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Banjo Bones posted:

What are some stratagems they should add? Here's some:

* Orbital flame thrower
* Laser mech
* Orbital Lightning
* Gas gun
* Eagle laser strike
* Bug pheromones
* Laser sentry
* Mortar mech
* Laser sword
* Lightning sword

Deployable quad.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Why does no one use the assault rifle drone? I haven't tried it myself but is it really hard to keep enough ammo for it or something?

I got team killed by the laser drone early om so when I got to that level I decided to buy the bullet one and not worry about sweeping beams hitting my teammates.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The marksman primary has been fun to use on bots with an autocannon and armor that lets me throw things really far. It's a good-positioning loadout for picking off important things and not letting yourself also get swarmed by reinforcements. It struggles in scrambles a little bit when lots of chainsaw bots get too close, but impact grenades have felt helpful for those situations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'd like to customize my mech so the central chassis looks like a default Helldiver helmet, only huge.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm bad at videogames and I'm struggling getting into the harder difficulties. Seems like it's got a different tempo that I'm still getting used to. Any tips?

Here's my takeaways so far:
-Don't linger, always be moving. If there's a bug hole or whatever you can still deal with it while moving to your next objective, and at least that way they're only coming from one direction.
-Turrets are extremely more situational or straight up not worth it. Instantly gets stomped down by a charger.
-Stop loving around trying to deal with stuff with my regular gun. Call down a strategem, use gun for cleanup.
-Stop shooting a twig 3" away from me with a rocket after I call down a mech :saddowns:

Am I on the right path I have no idea, I haven't got any super rare samples yet and lose most that difficulty.

You don't have to shoot at every patrol you see. You can crouch and sneak by patrols and save your ammo for unavoidable problems.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm a fan of the Senator. It just feels right.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I tried it once early on and never went back, I really oughta give it another shot. The thing is that the Redeemer is basically the best-feeling "secondary" possible in a game like this. It's not so much a second weapon as an oh-poo poo button that murders the poo poo out of the last few bugs that are still in your face and your primary mag just ran dry. I imagine the Senator works more like an actual second weapon that you can use, but that feeling of pulling out the Redeemer and tearing a couple hunters to pieces with a million bullets per second is gonna be hard to beat.

The fun points of the Senator are that it hits like a Diligence, it's dead-on accurate and it has a lot of ammo, so if you carry a primary like a shotgun or something automatic you can pull out the Senator and pop single targets at range. It's like a mini marksman rifle, it's just fun to have in your pocket.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I started on the robot front and mostly play there because I feel like it's more interesting.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Play posted:

Is the grenade launcher any good on higher difficulties? It's the one calldown weapon besides the break action that I've barely used at all, but I've heard it can be pretty decent at some things. How is it best used?

I think the break action is field-only, you can't call it down.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

(bravely) Give me the lightning drone.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sickle feels like having a Stalwart primary. It's really good and pairs well with the strong single-target damage support guns.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Playing the top difficulties is a lot of fun specifically for enemy spawns justifying bringing the 380mm orbital bombardment stratagem and dropping it on a base or a reinforcement chain.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do you guys tend to shoot in 1st or 3rd person? I have been shooting in 1st for everything but once I realized how the 3rd person barrel position crosshairs worked it's felt a lot easier to shoot more things faster, and maybe 1st person is for far away things?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The sickle is a lot of fun for everything, it's a really great primary. I'm working on unlocking the two electric shotguns in the electric pack, is it the last one that fires electric shotgun blasts?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Remember your ABCs people, Always Bring CEATs uh Always BCalldown CEATs. Dont forget to shoot the drop pod cans so they appear on the minimap

Always Be Calling Down EATs.

I started running these and I'm a true believer now. One minute cooldown. No need to worry about "getting your stuff." An elegant weapon for inelegant times.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

What kind of loadout am I supposed to take on bug missions now that the arc thrower is baned? man this sucks. I tried bringing back the stalwart and it was kind of fine, but took forever to kill bile spewers. and I'm really bad at using the grenade launcher, it just bounces off everything and I run out of ammo in 2 seconds.

Grenade launcher + Supply Backpack on bug planets is some of the most fun I've had at the top end difficulties. Infinite grenades!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Redeemer feels like the kind of strictly better at everything gun that is bound to get whacked in some way, although I hope they improve the other sidearms to be as effective as the Redeemer is. It's kind of wild how it's just the default pistol's stats with more output.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bringing a supply backpack along with any support weapon that doesn't include one of its own makes me feel so smart, like get a load of me, I planned ahead.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Look out, bugs, the Thinking Helldiver has arrived.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Musluk posted:

Once the ammo only 6x backpack drops I'mma grab that and a heavy machine gun and relive my bad company 2 days so hard

I ran this and orbital gatling barrage on some bug missions and played like I was the Bulletmancer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It takes a second after you press 5 to do a little animation before you actually get your ammo and I don't know if you can do it while running. It takes a little planning ahead to stay topped up.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

explosivo posted:

Does it? It always felt pretty instantaneous to me.

You gotta reach back there to get your cube.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did you know you can hold reload to switch the default machinegun to "party mode"?? It's a game changer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dren posted:

You are valid. I run 500kg instead of EMS mortar but EMS mortar is a strong choice for certain mission types. If it’s blowing up egg nests u should take a 500kg.

Blasting egg walls with your plentiful grenades really does the business on those missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I kind of hope they'd put our primary rifles on the shoulder opposite where the support rifle hangs out, its so weird having a full sized rifle tucked on your belt like a sword.