Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's bizarre how little they've shown of this game.

I'm still gonna play it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'll give it a try tonight, but if it's as crashy as it sounds I might wait a week or two.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Picked up a flamethrower, took a few seconds to figure out how to use it, instantly lit myself on fire and died

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My main complaint so far is that you apparently can’t rebind the store button, and I normally use R for interact. I can’t enter the pod because it opens the store instead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Deepest apologies to the goon I shot in the back of the head with the AMR. A glorious death in the service of democracy.

e: By the way, what does "rearming" an Eagle do?

megane fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 9, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They should let us paint our ships different colors.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Super confused about how to group with people you aren't already Steam friends with. The friend code thing generates a new one every time you click it? Do they only last a short period of time or something?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Breaker autoshotgun is very good. Contrary to the description, it's pretty ammo-efficient and is perfectly fine at medium ranges.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WUJVmq0IQ

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’s embarrassing to just be sitting there for so long which is bad for morale

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Play posted:

Just to be clear each one has multiple uses before needing rearm. So if you have four eagle slots you've got like 8 to 12 users before rearm or something. Not sure how many uses each has or if they're all the same.

They have varying amounts. The big bomb is only 1 use, while there's one that comes with 4. And there's a ship upgrade that adds 1 use to each.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"T-minus whoa, not cool, bro" - Pelican pilot

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That’s freedom’s question mark, soldier :911:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The brief delay :discourse:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also, there are many mechanically-equivalent armors of each "model" so you still have some choice. There are a ton of medium-with-extra-padding, for example.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chargers are just way too numerous for what they are. You don't put 3 of the same puzzle miniboss in every fight. The necessity to fit massive amounts of anti-armor into every single build, always, to the point where anything that doesn't punch through the heaviest armor in the game feels like a waste of a slot, was a big annoyance in HD1, and it seems like HD2 is the same way.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

victrix posted:

the issue isn't 'I don't understand how to kill chargers' it's 'chargers are disproportionately tough and disruptive relative to everything else on the field'
Yes, exactly. People keep posting methods for killing them, and all of those methods boil down to "lol just bring specialized equipment and spend tons of time and ammo on them, bro." You can kill them with the arc thrower!!! ...if you're willing to stand there and zap them like 8 loving times. And bring an arc thrower in the first place. That's fine for a miniboss; it's not fine for a enemy that you have to kill like 20 of every mission.

e: The equivalent unit for bots is the Hulk. But Hulks spawn alone, and are slow enough that you can just lead them around a corner and ditch them if you want. Chargers come in packs and will chase you across the face of the loving planet.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What happens if the destroyer leaves before you’ve called down an objective like a hard drive or something

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It varies wildly. Sometimes you get a squad of ice-cold operators who instantly split up and do every objective alone in dead silence and with zero apparent effort, but occasionally you get the Keystone Kops.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It counts medals you spend on all the past pages, total.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Kinda wish there was an option to have the strategem inputs to always show, not when you're just calling them down. I'll probably commit them to muscle memory at some point but right now it's can be difficult to call some of them down in the middle of a fight.

I thought there was one, under HUD.

e: Guess not, you can hide it, but not make it always visible

megane fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 16, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If you aren’t blowing your team up occasionally, you’re not being sufficiently zealous in your pursuit of managed democracy :patriot:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

That's the ship master. Failure to recognise a Ministry of Truth official is reportable misconduct

I want to be able to customize the NPC officers. Also the color of the hull.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’d be neat if the defense missions involved some normal SEAF troops as background cannon fodder. Like there could be a mission to help them hold a position, or secure a landing zone for them, or just have them getting mauled so you can wave at them as you run past to grab some samples

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You could also try setting your Steam status to invisible, if applicable.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

Just because we’re disposable idiots doesn’t mean there can’t be other, equally disposable idiots in slightly different uniforms! That’s what the rescuable scientists are, after all. You even get docked exactly 25 credits for getting them killed

megane fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 18, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ijyt posted:

you guys have muscle memory?

I played the original like 7 years ago, but the reinforce motion was still in there somewhere

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For as hype about this game as people seem to be, the actual combat is… not inspiring. The guns are bland, there’s only a tiny handful of them, and there’s no melee combat or anything to break it up; at best you have a moderately-interesting support weapon. The bulk of the fun is stratagems, and most of those are effectively just really big grenades. Don’t get me wrong, throwing a really big grenade is fun! But there’s only so much playtime you can wring out of it. And the ship upgrades are all boring passives, so once you’ve unlocked all the stratagems you like there’s nowhere to go.

e: one effect of the shift to 3D from topdown is the loss of immediacy. You can spot bases from a long distance, throw a ton of eagle strikes on them, and never have to actually go in and fight up close.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 19, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

You heard it folks, the game is doomed. Trust the person who has run upwards of 6 missions including 2 on the medium difficulty.

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the gunplay is bland. There are, what, 10 primary guns in the game? Half of them are (weirdly subpar) variants of the others. And basically all of them are functionally interchangeable. Guess which gun I’m describing: spammable up close to deal with bugs in your face, pretty accurate at mid-range if you ADS, reloads quickly, useless against armor.

And then there’s the secondaries.

That’s not “lol game dead,” that’s asking the devs to put in some more interesting guns and/or change the existing ones to differentiate them more. The SMG should not be an assault rifle but better. The Breaker should not be an assault rifle but better.

e: and the Scythe should not be an assault rifle but worse

megane fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 19, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bandire posted:

In general, you should be minimizing the amount of time you are shooting trash mobs with primaries. Also, there's nothing bland about the Autocannon or most of the support guns.

The gameplay is basically: work your way to an objective avoiding contact with patrols if at all possible, bomb the poo poo out the objective, complete it, and then move on to the next one. The game effectively punishes you for sitting still plinking at reinforcements. Just break contact and move on.

I know. I've played this for 40 hours already. But "getting trapped in endless gunfights is bad" does not require that all primaries be the same gun painted 8 slightly different colors.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SES Princess of the People :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sure it did. :wink: