Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i'm waiting to see what the multiplayer scene will be like, on a toxicity scale from "dota" to "DRG"

has there been any clear sign of how hard one has to sweat to not be a massive liability to the team? i distinctly remember the one time I played the original I played with goons who were more upsettingly toxic than any pubbie I'd played any game with in years. turned me off of the whole damned game (not to mention playing with goons lol)

Did you even get anything for winning in the first game? I vaguely remember a war campaign but I thought progress was just leveling and unlocking stratagems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I wanted to like it but I think I'll refund for now, basically crashing every time somebody tries to join my game.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think the discussion around the higher difficulties is kinda silly though - I think one of the LoL threads had a designer talk about how they never had to incentivize players to fight, because fighting is fun.

I think Helldivers 1 turning every mission into a stealth mission was dumb as hell. Why would I want my starship troopers game to be about sneaking around and not wading through hordes of enemies? Just give people who can beat those difficulties their nerd cred but make the game more accessible for everybody else imo.

I think it would be cooler if the harder missions had more complicated objectives that incentivized good time management instead.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

I find it somewhat wild that people are arguing that some guns in a co-op game are too good. Gaming in 2024 has broken some brains.

I think that's been a thing in every co-op gun game with loadouts? At least this was definitely the same discussion in Payday 2 and Warframe, and a bunch of other games.

Now the ideal is EDF where there are good guns and bad guns but nobody complains too much because whether or not something is good is secondary to whether or something is funny.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Man I don't play a lot of bot missions cause every time I do I feel like I get destroyed.

Cannon Turrets in bases, Stratagem Blockers, Eyes that call in endless dropships, these guys are hosed up.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How does the new railgun perform against Hulks and Tanks? I hope it kept the 2 hit headshot kill. Tanks and the big cannon turrets already felt super slow so if it takes more than 5 shots, it's just gonna feel awful. I always thought Chargers were manageable with the glitch - if they fix that then bugs will really become unmanageable, though flamethrower looks like it might be the new hot thing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Why do I get kicked after doing 2/3 missions of a difficulty 8 op all the time? Is it just cause the missions are long and people are taking a break after two?

I don't think I'm team killing or anything and we always succeed the first two missions?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What do people bring on the missions where you can only bring 3 stratagems?

Just did an 8 with bots with increased call down time and one less stratagem and it was awful. I brought shield, orbital laser, and airstrike and just tried to stealth all the objectives. The eliminate enemies was the worst and we got the last 3 kills right as our last reinforcement was dropping in. Still cleared all the objectives so that counts as a win, but it didn't feel comfortable at all.

I could probably forgo a shield but it seems like I have no way to survive without it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

GL is a solid option regardless of difficulty. You can 3 hit chargers from the front if you can bounce the grenade underneath and up into the abdomen.

This is gonna be another dumb PS5 difficulty thing isn't it - I swear chargers take way longer to kill sometimes with grenade launchers and flamethrowers.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did some tower defense on 9 and yeah, it seems like it gets a lot harder if you don't split up and blitz a couple before things get crazy.

The spawns do seem to let up eventually though, two times we had to kill like 8+ bile titans before being able to get the last silo.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

Gang me up

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Seems like I get a lot of people abandoning the Terminid tower missions. Why even start if you're gonna bail at the first sign of trouble?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

diff 9 termicides are real rough. feel like I need to go flamethrower to clear many chargers+some crowd clear on bugs that get onto the tower, rover, 2 stratagems that're good against titans...

The trick is to realize you don't actually need to kill things so much as get their attention away from the tower. If it's not too heavy its very possible to just kite enemies around the silo and get the clear. Throwing explosives at it seems to make it unstable in my experience, so it's best not to airstrike it too much.

Get the attention of titans and make sure they don't spit on the silo and you're pretty much good. Melee enemies should be shot off if possible. Chargers just chase you around without doing anything (though they can lead to a death if they block your path). The most dangerous things are probably the bile mortars but they don't spawn in every map.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Exodee posted:

This has some real Divinity: Original Sin 2 energy, which would be perfect for Helldivers 2 to be fair. :v: Just cover the entire battlefield in electric burning hell gas.

These are the people who made magicka, flammable gas is very much in their original DNA.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Section Z posted:

The more I use the slugger, the more it feels like people making a big deal about "But it stagger locks robots!!!" is coping with the fact we only need the stagger against chainsaw bots and devastators due to robots constantly warping 5-10 feet up and down over rocks and fencing :argh:

For every satisfying long ranged perfect headshot with the slugger the moment they are dropped off, is a dozen more cases of "Sure wish I had the defender". Because 60 slugger ammo goes by real fast when every third shot has a robot zero shift out of the way. "I will take cover behind this rocky hilltop I am not allowed to climb while I reload-of course they can dead sprint up it instead of pathing around...."

Good thing autopistol loving rules as the backup option of "Kill 2 or maybe even 3 chainsaw bots" when they pull that poo poo.

I also cannot use the slugger because I miss a ton of shots against the little guys. I dunno if it's the movement or lag or what, but it's just too inconsistent for it to be usable for me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody else randomly get the bug where your weapon stops working and you can't do calldowns?

Seems to happen if I get knocked off in the middle of a state where I have a gun unavailable - ex mid calldown or if I'm holding a package.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So today I threw an orbital laser at a bile titan and had him survive the entire thing. What's up with that? Was the laser just missing or something?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah AMR is pretty drat good against bots with shield pack. Not as killy as AC but you can still deal with hulks and devastators pretty well.

Since everybody is high on EATs I brought them against bugs on 9 and they were great when there's no bile spewers around but it kinda sucked when spewers were everywhere. I found myself missing my grenade launcher for wiping out packs of spewers. Increased call down time also made it sorta iffy against Biles and Chargers, you have to be pretty far from the action to be able to comfortably call one down. I did tag a few chargers with the call down itself which was sweet, but it often made them impossible to retrieve after since the corpse is usually surrounded by the horde.

Also felt iffy against titans compared to the 500kg since it takes two shots to the mouth and running back for the second shot could be fairly dangerous.

All in all, didn't feel great, but part of it might just be getting more practice with the weapon.

My loadout was laser drone, eats, eagle airstrike, and 500kg.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tank towers are my bane on bot missions, what do people do against them? It seems like sometimes I can just turn a corner and get sniped.

If I can get close to drop an airstrike I'm good, but I can't reliably get the two EAT shots to the back to kill before it starts turning. I see clips of people taking it out with the laser cannon or auto cannon but I don't seem fast enough.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Orbital Laser is up there for me as well, it might not be as efficient on longer missions but it's a very good oh poo poo button for a long while.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Are the game servers dying? Seems like the game is really choppy for me today and some loading screens seem to take forever. Also crashed after finishing my second mission so maybe it's just time to take a break.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Quasar only works if the situation is under control. When the situation is not in control you want EATs because someone will attack you while you're chargin the laser, and it flinches if it goes through the shield.

This makes no sense to me and I love EATs.

When poo poo isn't under control you're still stuck waiting for EATs to drop or your path to your last drop has been cut off by a patrol, or a bile Titan is spitting on your pod, or whack geometry has your EAT call down bounce to the wrong side of a cliff or you stuck a charger with the call down and he's taking the pod off to la la land or ...

There are a host of potential issues with EATs being a deployable that don't exist with the Quasar. EATs are better sometimes and Quasars are better in others, but there are plenty of ways for a situation to get out of control with EATs.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Laser Cannon shines in cold environments where you can fire it for almost 6 seconds nonstop.

I thought testing has shown that temperature doesn't affect how long you can fire a laser weapon, only how fast it cools down.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I kind of wish they would make shrieker nests only killable with a hellbomb, it's kind of boring to just quasar them from a mile away.

:mods:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Prioritize maps that have 1/3rd water so the POIs you do get are clustered together, I don't think land mass makes more POIs. You can very easily run 1s and have a leisurely stroll around the map and grab SC.

It definitely makes a difference, it's very easy to see when you run an evac civilian mission on a small island map and there's only like 5-7 rare samples instead of the 30+ that you would normally have. I'm not sure if 1/3 water is the same as no water, but avoid water all around the edge maps if you're POI or sample hunting.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Reiley posted:

This medium outpost MUST be vanquished.

Sometimes you drop onto double gunship towers and that's just the game.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I would love to have a weapon with linear penetration through enemies.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Exploding mechs and keep the limited drop count but cut the cooldown quite a bit.

Yeah it would be nice if orbital laser and mechs had their long cooldowns reduced - sometimes you can't even use up all the ammo because the cooldown is so long.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did the machine gun personal order on some solo 4s and goddamn I forgot how much that weapon sucks. Stationary slow reloads just feel unnecessary for the amount of fire power you are throwing down.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody else think robot gunships need to be toned down? It would be nice if they have a spawn limit or something. Starting a mission close to one or god forbid a pair of them seems like a near instant recipe for reinforcements.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Sounds like a team that was not pulling their weight shooting down gunships. They go down pretty fast as long as everyone has an appropriate weapon. Aim for the engines/thrusters.

This is before anybody could call down their support weapons...

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

You can uh just shoot them down?

Like what the gently caress are you bringing to a bots 7 if you can't handle things that die to 1 quasar RR or EAT, 2 AC shots, 4 AMR shots or pointing a laser cannon at it for 2 seconds?

Maybe you're just a lot better than me but I don't think the heavy antitank options fire fast enough to clear out all the gunships. RR especially because the reload will get you killed. I don't even know why you would bring heavy antitank against bots when medium penetration weapons kill pretty much everything they have. It would be the niche case where you really want to shot a tank turret straight on.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont know if its a glitch or intended, but the eagle upgrade adds an extra eagle airstrike bomb to the listed eagles. its pretty nuts

Wait what? So I get a free eagle airstrike bomb in my clusters with the upgrade?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

You are correct that AP5 is largely unnessicary vs. robots, and overall pretty inefficient vs. Gunships compared to AP4 weapons.

But my point was what exactly are you bringing if you don't have any AP5 or AP4 options to deal with gunships?

Like I run the GPMG vs. Bots, but I always bring EATs because being literally unable to meaningfully contribute to Gunships/AV4/5 outside shooting vents with a scorcher if your teammates cooperate isn't really viable.

The point with gunships has never been about being able to shoot one down - one gunship isn't a big deal at all with your standard anti bot weapons. My point is that gunships swarm builds up too fast - one person dedicated to a tower might be able to clean up but that implies that he's not missing, getting bounced by a rocket, distracted by patrols, etc. And unlike ground patrols, there is no stratagem panic button that resets the area. Ground patrols get wild, you can throw an airstrike or orbital laser. Gunship density gets wild and your team just gets to die a lot until you get far away enough to clean up the ones chasing you.

I mean you guys can wave your big dicks around about how good you are at the game, but my personal opinion gunship towers are just a bit too much right now just like the evac missions.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Wanna know what was the one thing you actually hit with a gun - I guess scythe doesn't track hits like the arc thrower?

Also had some weird spawns today on Bugs, played some 7s that felt like 4s - barely any charger or titan spawns. Did winning the major order have a stealth nerf to enemies or something?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Betting a tenner whatever stratagem ends up winning, the opposite enemy type will have a surge event.

Airburst wins? Oops! All tank enemies!
Anti-tank wins? Oops! All flying enemies!

Sounds like even more reason to pick airburst to me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think it makes sense from a monetary perspective - they'll probably get the most sales while the game is hot and the player count is high. If the content hose gets turned off, people will just take a break and come back after a big content update. This game doesn't have a truly long upgrade grind like Warframe or the Tide games had at release, which I think is a good thing, but it seems like they're leaning on periodic boosters to keep the income flowing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

skasion posted:

What’s the best way to deal with chargers on max difficulty?

Antitank directly to face, accept no alternatives.

Flamethrower is pretty fast as a host but otherwise takes too long.

Taking out the butt takes too much ammo and takes a while for them to bleed out.

Leg animation bug is doable but slow.

Autocannon to leg joints is very finicky.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I got ragdolled into the hole in a stalker nest. Interestingly I wasn't dead and shooting my grenade pistol destroyed the hole and the nest. The second one killed me, but it was interesting that I didn't die automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cheap Shot posted:

This has been confusing me since day one. I see so many people talking like the game is being/should be balanced for difficulty 9, and maintaining a “play on 9 or bust” mentality. The devs keep saying over and over they didn’t intend for this. Pleading for our understanding. Even going as far as to say they were horrified that people were beating and even soloing their hardest difficulty within the first week of launch. They’ve been clear that 9 was supposed to be a monumental challenge, like what static MMO raid groups take on. This is the only game I know where the majority of people don't consider the most extreme difficulty setting to be something reserved for masochists. 9 is two above 7 which is literally named “suicide” for fucks sakes. No one should be surprised when they keep adjusting things to push 9 further out of reach, but consistently seem to be regardless?

Like, I’m proud enough that my current level is being able to duo 7s when a friend and I lock it in and tryhard. I didn’t grow up playing shooters, I grew up on The Sims. I plan to try duo 8s tonight in an effort to unlock 9 but I fully expect it to go poorly and I’m fine with that. That’s what difficulty selection is for in the first place. 9 (and probably 8 if I’m honest) should be out of reach for me unless I practice enough to become esports tier, or hate myself more. I get that people probably resent the ego deflation after feeling like gods for making the hardest difficulty their go to default. Is that all this is though? Or is there something else to it? At this rate they’re going to have to give up trying to reason with the community and add difficulty 11.

I mean they probably will have to add additional difficulties at some point like Helldivers 1.

I think the other part of it is just human psychology, you won't miss what you never had but you will miss something that gets taken away. 9 in Helldivers isn't even that hard in the grand scheme of things, it seems far easier than Damnation in Darktide. People want to progress and do the hardest content, if that content changes from a do it every day activity to a do it once to say you did activity, people will complain because it changed. That's all sort of normal.