Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Shame Boy posted:

Maybe the bugs aren't so bad in this case.

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Should I buy cluster bombs first or save it for something else? I just hit level 3 :baby:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JBP posted:

Cluster bombs are one of the most effective ways to eliminate other helldivers. Slam the buy button.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Who gives a poo poo just buy it and keep playing. If you don't like them, keep playing and buy something else

Both very valid points.

It's fun shooting bugs in the face with shotguns Democracy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oneiros posted:

cluster bombs are incredibly effective at clearing a hoard. you just want to make sure that you and the rest of your squad are far enough away from it. no, further. further

From videos I've seen that's the vibe I got.

Also, I am sure at higher difficulties the HMG falls off in usefulness, but holy poo poo what a fun toy to give people at level one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dandywalken posted:

My regular group runs 7-9 with a MG/jump pack dude routinely. Its def a valid choice later still.

:unsmith: That makes me happy to hear.

I am a sucker for jetpacks, so I can only imagine what kind of fun stuff you can do with it in this game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Baby T. Love posted:

This is me but I take Precision Orbital and 500kg along with Stun Grenades. Drop call-in in front of Titan/Charger, throw stun when they're in position. :discourse:

Stun grenades work on titans? Good to know!

This might seem silly, but do they work on tanks?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Captainicus posted:

Encountered a nest of flying bugs in my last two missions

Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor with 1 swoop attack: about 1/10th of bar
Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor if you shoot them mid swoop and their ragdoll touches you: instant death
Damage to mech when shot mid swoop and the ragdoll touches the mech: instant death

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dandywalken posted:

...they fly now...

:mods:

How's the gas bomb? On paper it looks like a good area of denial, but I have a feeling it usually backfires.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ravendas posted:

I throw it at the bug breach and rack up a ton of kills as it lingers while they pop out. 70sec cooldown means it's basically available for every bug breach, if you're lucky.

Definitely worth it to try and see if you like it.

I did have a friend die in it. I told him to be careful of the green fog, but the world fog was kind of intermixed in it and he couldn't see a clear boundary. He died real quick.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is actually a very very good stratagem for dropping on a bug breach as soon as the smoke comes up. It covers a large area and lingers, so while it won't outright kill them all like a lucky bomb can, it will weaken pretty much everything in the initial spawn.

:unsmith: Thank ya! Next time I am on I will buy it and give it a whirl.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
:hmmyes:

EATs are good. They make bugs go splat.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I killed my first bile titan today. Shot it in the face with an EAT :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is 5+ minutes in "quick play" normal?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Away all Goats posted:

To find a game? Nope. I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than 30 seconds except for when the servers were making GBS threads themselves

:smith:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Goon Squad tag looks so good :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Icedude posted:

I went with the Brotherhood of NOD fit for a while:

Peace Through Power

I bought the helm, but what is the chest?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SplitSoul posted:

Exterminator from the Super Store.

:parrot:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AtomikKrab posted:

DEMOCRACY

That is all

:hmmorks:

For those of you running backpack grenade launcher, how do you deal with chargers? Is the GL good against them?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Never leave home without your EAT 17's

EAT is so good. My friends brought me to my first level 7 and the EAT saved our rear end so many times.

Ravenfood posted:

Not really. Even when I brought that combo I still brought EATs too. If you're better at it than I am you could probably bounce the grenades under the charger, but that didn't work so well for me.

That makes sense. Kinda sucks you need to dedicated another spot to charger removal, but it is also super useful for spores and birds nest too.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Had my first bad experience in the game today. Some dude dropped 3 airstrikes on my head and I asked why he replied with "You should get out of the way and not be bad".

So I ended the mission early. Can't expect everyone to be decent humans I guess :shrug:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hwurmp posted:

should've just kicked him

He was the host :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I did my first bots game an uh yeah, I hate it. What gun should I use? I am only level 19 and I have none of the paid DLC stuff. My breaker seems to do nothing to the big bots.

Edit: Also I asked "How do I kill heavy devastators?" and I got kicked from the game. The gently caress is wrong with people today?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

If you got the autocannon bring that for all the big stuff. Any primary will wreck all the little dudes.

Gotta play around with the auto cannon more. I bought it but never used it :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thanks for the tips :unsmith:!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I think I just need to figure out how to fight bots better. They feel so much more oppressive to fight against than bugs. Also, when shooting at drop shops with EATs, where should I be aiming?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:unsmith: Thank ya!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My impression of mines are that they are a really great tool to piss off your teammates and do almost nothing to the enemies.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZearothK posted:

I remember being on call with a friend after dropping a minefield and telling him to remind me that I dropped mines in that spot. Cue me five minutes later dying to one of the mines and bursting into laughter. Totally worth it.

Watching your giblets fly through the air after you realize what you've done is the cherry on top.

In theory, dropping it on a bug burst would be a really great idea. But it just doesn't work enough to be worth a stratagem slot.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Icedude posted:

Throwing a minefield into a bug breach of course has the added risk of the strategem ball sticking to a bug that happily brings it right back into the middle of your team :)

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Captain Ironblood posted:

I've done plenty of objectives in scout armor, just chilling and hiding as patrols go by. Patrols might path near you, but you can be sneaky about it.

Don't shoot gun at bugs?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is when the bots and the bugs are mostly bottled up, the illuminate come out. They will have started with some sort of deep sneak attack really close to super earth and all the emphasis is going to be to beat the brakes off of them - allowing the Automatons and Bugs to break their containment and really kick everything into high gear.

That would be pretty awesome :hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
A poo poo ton of people have been suggesting the stun grenades. Guess I should buy that pack.

How's the giant laser gun for bots? It looks like a fun gun to use, but I am not sure if that's worth taking over the auto Cannon.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's good. When I take it I use it as my primary for most of the mission and switch to the actual primary when it wants to cool down. It will burn the launchers off missile Devastators very quickly, and it pops their heads with ease. It will very quickly kill a stunned Hulk with fire into the vision slit, or any heavy or turret if you can see the vents.

All round a good pick for bots, but it does lack a certain feeling of feedback when you fire. And while it is good for Berserkers at range, close in against them I feel like I'm still swapping to my machine pistol.

Like the grenade launcher it leaves your back free to carry a supply pack, but because it doesn't care for ammo you could also just mule a spare spear/AC/RR pack for a friend once he can call it in.

Awesome! I will totally give it a whirl next time I am on.

Also, I finally hit 20 but I don't have enough resources to buy the shield backpack :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo have I been using the Arc thrower wrong? I thought you had to charge it up for every shot.

You can apparently also head shot with it to, found out today that 3 charged shots to the head can kill a Charger.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

The Sickle is probably the best primary (I almost exclusively use the Liberator though)

The default liberator?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Primary guns worth using:

Liberator
Punisher
Slugger
Breaker
Sickle

End of list

It's really sad that there's not much of a reason to use the others. The Lib Penetrator should really be more useful against armored dudes but it's not, things like that. A balance pass would be great, where they don't touch the guns listed above (though maybe a very slight nerf to the Sickle) would be good.

jokes posted:

Yeah man, it is The Way and The Truth. It is the gun by which all guns are judged. The Sickle is better in some ways but less reliable (it has to wind up before it charges unlike the liberator)

Didn't realize it was such a great work horse, guess that's another one I need to give another go later :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AtomikKrab posted:

I want my laser turret to go with my laser dog laser cannon laser pistol laser rifle and laser beam.

:same:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've been getting a lot of mileage put of the 110mm Rocket Pods lately. Seems like it has a lot of the advantages of the railgun atrike or orbital laser while also being an airstrike instead of orbital.

How are the rocket Pods against heavier targets like tanks and chargers?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Sickle is fantastic :hmmyes:. I also tried the liberator for a few missions and loved it as well.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Watching a streamer and the Quasar gun looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Quasar can 2 shot bile titans with head shots.

We need a laser pistol for full laser tag mode.