Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I can't connect to other games which sucks, as game is much harder to solo in than HD1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I chose

Ombudsman of Individual Merit.

Got into a game with people, dude backed into my call in, and another dude ran in front of my firing machine gun.

Spirit of the game is indeed intact.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The murder robots feel significantly harder than the bugs. Just playing on medium so far and the difference between the two seems big

They are harder in that they have guns, things don't go sideways as fast though, since multiple chargers get out of hand fast IME

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

raverrn posted:

I think the issue - and it's like the only thing dragging this game down, gently caress me do I love it - is the internal balance between weapons is pretty bad.

And I guess between strategems, too? Nothing is gonna save the 110mm Eagle strike.

Eh, 110mm is much more useful vs. Robots.

It 1hko's tanks and the laser turrets.

it could use a much larger target search area / being sticky to make it better against moving targets though.

Actually it probably should also have 3 instead of 2 uses, since it's much more specialized than the 500kg or the bombing run also.

So yeah not in a great spot tbh.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 12, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Recoiless is very good... but like in the first game, it probably works best with 2 players using them... since they can double tap stuff and / or buddy load each other.

I'm absolutely loving the autocannon though, it is really versatile and satisfying to use and the animations are extremely cool.

It can kill bug holes in 1 shot.

If you don't completely empty it, the reload actually isn't that long at all.

The buddy reload functionality for it seems pretty pointless because of that, though.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's an Eagle equip, you get more uses if you send it back to resupply

I'm aware.

The point is that something that is very specialized (and not a total standout in it's role to boot) having the same number of uses between eagle rearms as something as generally useful as the bombing run or 500kg makes it hard to justify taking... especially when all the other specialized eagle call ins are a pretty excellent value for a slot since they cover a large area, and can be called in 3 or 4 times per rearm.

explosivo posted:

Did they fix the game yet or are people still losing rewards?

Played a bunch last night, got all my rewards but it's off hours so YMMV.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Definitely true, but the cash shop in Darktide was completely cosmetic.

The appeal of wh40k is the aesthetic, though.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BastardySkull posted:

Anyone know how to deal with those gently caress off massive cannons on the bot bases? I've seen people put rockets into them, grenades, cluster bombs etc. Is there a knack to it? They are loving lethal. Sorry if others have asked already!

110 strike actually kills these well.

The longer the mission goes on the more active the enemy is, so yes it is spawning more patrols.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

central dogma posted:

"Song of the People"

This game is hard as nails. I'm only level 3, but only completed a couple missions on Normal then failed another. I can't get used to the really floaty aim. Feels like the cross hair is always a bit behind. Hard to explain.

The grey circle is the point of impact.

It lags slightly behind your cross hair because you have to settle to aim properly, it settles faster if you're crouched.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 13, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

novaSphere posted:

Man I dunno why people think the bots are harder than bugs. Stalkers and Bile Spewer spam is worse than anything the bots throw at you.

I think it's mainly the shock of going from being dudes with guns vs. Primarily melee things to fighting an opponent that has the ability to punish you for staying in fights that are bad or starting them at a positional disadvantage.

Also visibility on the jungle map is pretty bad.

The bots have more tricks that make life harder earlier on like ecm / mortars / aa guns.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Well, battlepass isn't pay to win for sure; the Incindiary Breaker is hot garbage compared to regular, amazing Breaker.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Also, just learned that the standard machinegun calldown is good: it punches through medium armor, which is basically the entire grown up bug category below chargers. Cuts down basic warriors, the hive guards that go into blocking stance, and even brood commanders. I've loved the Stalwart MG as a "primary" weapon but it does struggle against warrior waves so I guess it's time to retire it and be better about pacing my use of the MG. Only 2 reserve mags and a long, stationary reload stings like a MFer.

Stalwart is in a weird place where it functions as an absurdly good primary weapon - but the opportunity cost of it taking up your 3rd slot and a strategem slot is also extremely hard to justify for something that offers no real versatility.

I think it would work better as a call in that replaced your primary weapon - instead of a support weapon... even if they had to drop it's damage or magazine size down a bit.

As far as the HMG goes, it is a good weapon - it's just overshadowed by the GL / Autocannon / Railgun because they are far more flexible in that they still dunk on Medium Armor, but can still be used to kill heavy stuff and close nest holes / blow up factories... IMO it should be combined with the support pack into one call in.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I've tried the GL and it is pretty good when I'm not killing myself with it, but you really need to take a supply pack with it.

Is the Autocannon decent even for solo work? I hesitate to take the team weapons when playing alone or with pubbies.

AC owns, if you are soloing with it and don't completely unload it it has a normal weapon length reload of 1 clip of 4 shots.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 13, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Geckoagua posted:

If I’m understanding right, the spitters bulbous back is all ‘weak point’ and weak point only gives you 10% more normal damage bonus, but explosive gets a huge bonus, so something like the explosive assault rifle should shred these dudes? Also charger butts? I need to test.. would be nice to have an excuse to use the MG or Flamethrower instead of AC/AM sniper/RR/etc. in slot 3.

the Liberator Explosive is good vs. spitters for a Primary... but it's nowhere near as good at it as an autocannon EAT or RR since they are also explosive.

I'm also fairly certain the breaker might out dps it even with the bonus.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 13, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Sometimes I forget I have grenades cause i'm almost always carrying the autocannon.

I didn't even think about the open door thing on the bot farms. You can shoot the vents with the auto cannon but you need to be a higher elevation to get the round in.

You can bounce a round off the little flap above it into the hole and it goes off.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Autocannon solves most bot problems aside from the super armored ones

AC solves basically all of them, actually.

Shoot the Hulks in the eye slot.

Shoot the Tanks in the Engine Grate / Rear Turret / Gun.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 15, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

How's the incendiary shotgun in the premium battle pass? I like the explosive AR so far but am slowly saving up for other options

Hot garbage.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's cool, it's just not as good as the regular breaker, which is easily the best primary in the game :shrug:

It's significantly worse at killing patrols before they call in a breach / flare than the Liberator or Defender( Much less the Breaker) because it's range is complete poo poo.

Honestly the only weapon in the warbond that is both fun and good for higher difficulties is the last one.

Scoss posted:

What's the deal with this game?

It seems to be having some viral success and it looks fun but the steam reviews are not good.

From what I can tell the game's online infrastructure is collapsing under its own weight, is that the only problem?

The core gameplay loop is extremely well crafted; so much so that they've made a LOT of inexplicable and bad balance decisions that would be deal breakers otherwise.

EX:

The inexplicably accurate automatic shotgun has twice the damage per mag of the basic assault rifle - which has nearly 2x the damage per mag of the specialized variants of it.

And one of your opponents is either melee dudes, or guys you can't hurt with a primary.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 20, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I feel is a little weird is not being able to spawn with any support weapons, even the smaller ones like the machine guns, especially when support weapons are the only way you can ever kill certain enemy types outside of landing a stratagem on them.

So you can end up in situations where the team keeps dying and losing the only way to fight back and dies again.

It would be fine if primaries could do meaningful damage to the glowing weakspots though.

this is actually one nice thing about fighting robots; aside from the literal tanks all of them are actually pretty weak vs. primaries if you are hitting their weakpoints.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Not on the discord myself but this probably stems from the lower player count expectations too lol. Like you don’t need a lot of channels if you're expecting the peak player count to be 1/50th of what it currently is, and only a small fraction of that is going to be on discord.

They actually added the 3 general chats after release, and added a 5 minute cooldown to chat - it used to be one and moved so fast you couldn't read it.

But it's really absurd they've made no attempt to direct or silo those chats into actual topics so they're usable... it's just like 60 disjointed conversations going on simultaneously because you can't actually have one when you can only respond every 5 minutes.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CainFortea posted:

There are 10 other channels besides the three general chat channels all about specific content. Like lore or talking about the different weapons in the armory and so on

Ah they added it and hid it at the bottom of the roles.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 21, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

triple sulk posted:

Why the hell haven't they just hard capped it to like 100k people tops and slowly work up from there rather than whatever is going on right now?

They did that, the max is ~480k

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

hey mom its 420 posted:

wow I unlocked the laser primary weapon and it's rear end

Luckily you can call one in that never overheats, and aims itself for you.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

3-5 chargers on Diff 4/5 seems like you aren't managing to kill a single patrol before it alerts and causes breaches. - played a 6 duo last night and never saw more than 2 chargers at the same time because we were killing patrols fast enough.

But I get preferring Bots to Bugs, it's a much more conventional shooter fight where cover and positioning matter more and their humanoid shapes make aiming easier.

Bugs are all about constantly running and dodging and starting engagements with maximum violence of action since 90% of their dudes are melee.

Section Z posted:

I wish I never read wherever it was I saw somebody claim "The counter sniper isn't bad! Because it secretly has medium penetration!"

Because I finally got it, and oh man that was just a bunch of deflecting off of medium bots when missing their face, deflecting off of walkers, deflecting off of radiator vents on tanks and sniper turrets, and also it feels like the crosshair is lying or it has secret shot drift compared to the stock marksman because I couldn't even blow the face off of bots that were standing still most of the time with it :argh: (Then feeling justified for no impact grenades just by gently nailing cooked defaults onto the back of the tank)

Though I hate sniper turrets in general because they are one of the few things my trusty precision orbital keeps failing to pop it. While coinflip gambling eagle rocket came through for me again.

The CS is hot garbage - even if it has medium penetration it doesn't help - because bots don't have armored heads and shooting them in the body is dumb and pointless.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

TBH 90% of the times I've killed myself is getting jostled and thinking I have more time than I did to reacquire and once when I thought my buddies shield pack dome in some fog was a spewer and he kept 'moving into the way.'

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

How is the AP liberator? Been wondering if it was worth buying, I'm still running my Knight from civilian life.

It has the worst damage per bullet, per mag and worst total damage potential for a full set of mags in the game. if it did 70 damage like the Defender it would be fun and good.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darox posted:

I tried the Breaker and was thoroughly whelmed, but then I tried a bug mission with it and it's great there. It's good against every not-charger/titan bug type and being able to mag dump a Stalker to get it off you is incredibly helpful. Against bots it can help get the chainsaw dudes off you but most of the basic bots stay at mid range where it takes two shots to put them down and the SMG or Marksmen rifles are far better at cleaning up those groups of light bots.

Also Chargers still suck rear end and are the primary reason I prefer fighting bots over bugs. The only really annoying thing about bot missions are the base turrets just because of their range and how hard it is to hit them properly. Maybe I'll feel differently once I get my own railgun but needing a railgun to make them not suck rear end is its own problem.

e: Like, Hulks are approximately 5000 times more likely to kill you than Chargers but if I have to assault an outpost with 5 Hulks or 5 Chargers give me the Hulks any day.

Breaker pairs well with autocannon vs. Bots you use it like a DMR and use the Breaker like a pistol if anything closes.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The unsafe mode should be 5 seconds of overcharge that degrades in real time.

IE: you get 5 1 second overcharges or 1 4.9 second overcharge.

If it's actually unsafe you can buff the oc shots and make it have a high skill ceiling, even if it cooled down over time it would do a lot to make the railgun less oppressive vs. Other AT weapons.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BitBasher posted:

If you are shooting non explosive bullets into a jelly like part that does the splashy animation when you shoot it it does 10% of normal damage. Explosive ammo does full to those parts. Same with green tanker bugs and such.

Tbh this is pretty dumb and guns should do 110% and explosive should do 200% damage.

Adjust HP upwards a bit to compensate for more incoming damage but that mechanic feels bad for both regular guns, and explosive tagged ones ATM.

Doing less damage than you would if you just shot a leg feels bad and weird.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Then shoot the leg, it's right there! Is there some reason you just really don't want to shoot the leg?

Indoctrination from the Starship troopers informative video where NPH shoots off a leg then the brain stem.

It's just counterintuitive to both logic and years of training in games and media that you should aim for limbs over heads and center mass.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

ijyt posted:

you learn this in your first few missions by shooting bugs and seeing them continue to hobble after you or charge you without a head

They also die shortly thereafter.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I like when I throw down my orbital beacon to kill the enemies coming towards our position, then another guy throws his eagle out further and wipes them all out faster, so now both our strategems are on cooldown.

Then a charger hits us both in the back.

Nah, they have 3 more in the bag and can afford to throw them at every group of trash because then they can send their eagle back to rearm the 500kg or Bombing Run.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Probably the most frustrating thing I see is the idea that there's one universal loadout that's First-Order-Optimal (i.e., it's the best possible loadout) for both bots and bugs. Breaker is fantastic against bugs - less so for bots. But I still see people taking Breakers against bots because meta brainworms dictated that it was "THE BEST" primary before allowing for any sort of nuance like "...against bugs". IMO, Defender and Slugger are better against bots than Breaker because they have actual range, accuracy, and power that you can use to your advantage.

Breaker is great against bots if you are using an autocannon or AMR which are amazing vs. Bots at ranges the Breaker Isn't.

It is much better vs. Berserkers and it is great at chain stunning Heavy Ds or staggering small guys launching flares, and does enough damage that hitting them in the face typically kills them.

Been using the dominator and slugger lately and they're fun and good but require much more precise aim to get results out of; and if you're putting that kind effort you're better served by both the AC and AMR.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

People who are 20+ also don't give a poo poo about req since they tend to have everything they want.

If we've hit the main objective and found the butt plug I'll hit stuff near the extract but I'm not gonna be traipsing around the map just to find the last secondary or whatever.

Secondaries should add medals and way more contribution at higher difficulty if they want people to do them.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I find the Breaker still the best against bots because it covers what the Railgun and the starting pistol don't: Taking down Berserkers and clumps of troopers.

This game is gorgeous

If you swap the machine pistol to semi auto it's just the starting pistol with 2x the mag btw.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I got crushed by a Titan I autocannoned in the face a couple nights ago, it's pretty awesome tbh.

Icedude posted:

The eagle rocket pods are incredibly valuable on higher level bug missions. They might not kill a charger or titan, but they'll usually strip off enough armor that you can easily finish them off with your primary. Not to mention you get two shots per rearm timer, three if you have all the eagle upgrades. I've actually been taking the grenade launcher out again because I can rely on those for the anti-armor work.

While I love the orbital laser, I wish they'd either make it better against armored targets or take away the 3 shot limit. Right now it'll take most of it's fire time to kill a single charger and won't even kill a bile titan.

eagle 110's actually synergize with the laser really well vs. bugs since they tend to hit and break the top armor, where the laser hits.

The Spear really needs to 1 shot stuff period, it's just not reliable enough to be viable.

The RR also needs to at least like 2 shot Tanks from the side and Chargers reliably from the front and kill them flat out if you hit the weakpoints... it's very unrewarding to hit a weakpoint and almost kill a tank, then watch an autocannon be able to just fire 3x into the same weakpoint and the thing blows up.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

bandaid.friend posted:

The best spot for the hellbomb is next to the robots' spawn factory. You will be able to summon the hellbomb there, where everywhere else the ball bounces around and does nothing

Thanks for mentioning this.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

What's the best pair of eagle call-ins? I'm using Cluster Bomb right now and it's great but can't hit buildings.

Airstrike / cluster / 110s / 500kg if you have t3 hangar

depending on what you're fighting, what your teammates are bringing and your support weapon is.

110s and Airstrike are much better vs. Bots as 110s solve tanks and turrets and can kill a fab, Airstrike often kills an entire medium outpost.

Cluster and 500kg are better vs. Bugs

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Agree with this except for the clusters. I think airstrike is good on both, but you can swing to clusters if your team has armour on lockdown for bugs. Bombing run will ruin chargers and titans, but it's admittedly tough to land.

I'm tempted to take strafing run on a trip to 7+. Having a large number of very direct horde clear seems like if could be very nice in those tight spaces around eggs and stuff.

Having 5 delete this patrol or POI buttons is pretty useful IMO. Airstrike is not reliable or precise enough to be a real solution to chargers outside POI spawns, and those are the easiest ones to deal with support Weapons anyways.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The absolute best thing in this game is that sometimes on your spaceship, your cape will still flutter majestically in the breeze

That's the winds of Democracy.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Section Z posted:

Now watch it turn out the extraction base can actually have enemies inside of it by default, and I have just been lucky when this plan is put to use.

Sometimes the extraction is literally a medium bot outpost.

Honestly RE: railgun

It should lose half it's ammo pool to put it more in line with the RR in terms of overall damage capability. - does sustained damage that maintains mobility and flexibility vs. RRs spike damage and raw DPS when buddy loaded.

A.) Buddy loads shouldnt need the backpack for the buddy loader.

B.) 2 RR or EAT to the side of a tank or a single EAT or RR to the weak points of a hulk, tank or charger should kill it dead.

C.) SPEAR should have an alt fire mode that is TV guided like battlefield helo ATGMs and 1 hit kill stuff, straight up.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 27, 2024