Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I don't see the spawn and reinforcement systems as discouraging fighting, more that it encourages you to fight over something specific. It gets oversimplified to "just run from encounters" but standing and fighting is absolutely still something you should do (barring solo sneak runs or something), just don't do it in the middle of nowhere and burn all your stratagems for no gain. It gives the combat and resource management some stakes. Individual fights, even on Helldive, are not that hard rather it's the attrition and time-managment that pushes you. Most missions have several sub-objectives and a main objective that you will essentially be required to fight at, so you do get plenty of combat.

I'm not sure if it's a problem of design so much as a problem of conflicting playstyles, which is present in a lot of games like this. This exact same objective-rush stuff is a point of contention in Deep Rock as well. Some people enjoy sprinting through objectives as fast as possible, while others prefer meticulously clearing every room of resources and enemies and fighting every swarm from a standing position. Some people want to smell the roses, some people want to do more runs in the same space of time, both sets want more of the game just in different formats, I guess. Personally when a game is proc-gen and infinite I'm in "more missions" camp, but I totally understand the friends I play with who prefer being more meticulous. This kind of mismatching could probably be solved if we were able to filter servers for playstyle in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Roundboy posted:

Bots are horribly broken and need a pass.

SO. MANY. DROPSHIPS. even on trivial. Everyone calls in a flare. So many 1 shot kills from bots that can track through walls.. and can shoot much further then you can see on the fog planet.

Its next to impossible to take out a dropship with anything less then a rocket. It seems every bot needs a full mag of MG ammo to a weak spot to take out one, and there are usually a couple dozen after a few mins with constant drops

I agree with LazyMaybe. I guess it's subjective, but I find bots easier. The bot-game plays a lot like a traditional 3rd person shooter, it's like Ghost Recon with a Terminator reskin. There are fewer enemies total, pretty much every enemy can be killed by small arms fire from range. You get bum-rushed by stuff a lot less and you can melt into the woods/hills any time you think a fight won't go your way with very minimal risk of being followed/outpaced. You can also make better use of chokepoints and popping in and out of cover to clear whole waves where bugs would circle you faster or require a stratagem to slow down. Also clearing the smaller dudes means the others have no way of calling in reinforcements.

I'm wondering if part of the reason people think bots are harder is because it doesn't lean into bombastic, freewheelin' vibe of the game as much. You just can't run through groups of enemies spamming cluster bombs behind you. You have to be meticulous which can feel kind of at odds with the tone of the game, but if you are being meticulous the problems are actually all easier to solve IMO. Take a shield backpack if one-shots are getting annoying.

I also don't think it's worth trying to shoot down the dropships, just drop an airstrike where the bots are going to land, or get in some cover and take them out one by one. I tend to run scorcher, redeemer, stun grenades, shield backpack, AMR, airstrike and rocket pods (the latter two things will bust most objectives, factories, turrets and tanks so you can get away without having regular grenades more easily than in bug missions.)

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

You absolutely can run from your problems, though. I know stories about being one-shot by rockets from across the map are really common, but I think that's just because of how unfair it can feel when it happens rather than being indicative of bots having actually good aim. Their aim sucks. Maybe 1 in 10 rockets is on target, and if you're sprinting away and weaving in and out of cover it's really, really rare that anything short of an aggroed stationary turret will hit you.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Being in proximity to any sub objective increases the spawn rate of patrols while you're within, iirc, 150m until that objective is completed. Maybe the reason people feel like the SEAF artillery in particular draws patrols to you is that it occupies a large section of relatively flat ground so the pathing is simpler. Patrols around other objectives can get caught up wiggling around, or have to path past them rather than over them (like in the case of the data upload towers or radar towers) Interacting with consoles etc. has been proven to do nothing to spawns.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Fangz posted:

The issue isn't spawns, the issue is pathing. Interacting with objectives gives patrols a waypoint to come over to investigate.

Never seen any indication that this is the case and I've played an embarrassing amount of this game. You can use a console within view of a patrol and it will not alter its direction at all, you can also use the radar with a teammate to interact with one and check the local area for spawns, there's no relationship between using consoles and patrols spawns or pathing. There are also quite a lot of longwinded analyses on patrol spawns and behaviour floating around, I'll try to find a link after work.

Again, I believe that the feeling that the patrol zeroes in on you on the SEAF in particular is just because the SEAF spawns on flat ground and doesn't have the terrain features that'd force patrols to path around it.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8xuf_dLDw

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 26, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Re. the minefield, I need to double-check but I'm pretty sure the same scavenger at the front of the breach blew up and its body bounched to 3 - 4 other mines, effectively clearing a path for other bugs through the middle. I've also seen bugs walk clear over mines withhout triggering explosions. The fact that they can't kill medium bugs like bile spitters despite being explosive damage right under their heads is also infuriating. It's a truly garbage stratagem and would need to either have a dramatically shortened cooldown or a serious increase in reliability before I'd consider using it for serious business missions.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I'm braced for this being an unpopular opinion but the live service aspect of the game is starting to get me down. I appreciate that they're trying to do something new and I genuinely wish them well with it, with a few tweaks I'd probably be into it, but I find currently the cost to individual player choice too high.

For example, if you want to play on Heeth or Fenrir (which are my two favourite planets so far), you just can't because they're no longer on the list. Also if you want to revisit termicide missions you can't, even though they were IMO a better version of the defence missions.

On top of that, if you want to commit to their narrative and contribute to the galactic war you're required to complete full campaigns, which means a potentially 120-minute set of missions in the same location against the same enemy type with the same modifiers. All progress is lost if you want to go elsewhere for a change in the middle of it. Combined with the sense that there's a lot of godhanding going on, this leaves me feeling disengaged from the war effort overall and just frustrated that I can't pick and choose from a more generous menu.

I can see the upsides and potential for sure, it's been good for memes and social media and it does seem to be inspiring for a lot of people but I kinda miss Deep Rock's 20-minute mission and modifier rotation, it lets you access more varied content more often, as well as giving you more control over the length of your session.

Maybe once they add a 3rd faction things will feel a bit more open, it's early days, but I'd really like individual missions to count for war effort and for there to be some way to revisit favourite locations when you want, even if it's in some kind of separate simulator mode or something.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Hakarne posted:

As someone who doesn't ever want to commit to a fresh campaign, I feel like quickplay is great for feeling like you're contributing to the galactic war. Often times you're put into the second or third mission in a series so you can piggyback off of someone else's campaign progress. It's also fun feeling like a quick response force and not being sure what the situation will be like when you land. Team just deployed in a calm, open area? poo poo already hit the fan with three breaches, two Bile Titans, and your pod just landed next to a pissed off charger and his hunter pals? Who knows!

More often than not I feel like I make a huge difference and help stabilize and complete a mission that looked on the verge of failure. Having someone drop in fresh with a few 500kg bombs for the titans and the ability to plug one of the breaches with an air burst that kills 30-40 bugs can completely change the momentum in a fight and it feels awesome.

Join the Helldivers QRF. Managed democracy needs reinforcements too!

This is good advice, but I mainly play solo (I'm weird and like the feeling of being up poo poo creek without a paddle it gives you on higher difficulties) and I'm not super into pubbing. I don't even really like pubbing in Deep Rock which has a famously chill player base, partly because even a small chance of people being twats is too high for me of a Tuesday evening, and also I get a kick out of controlling the pace and killing everything myself. I definitely enjoy playing with friends with voice chat but they're online less than me.

I know it's not really in the spirit of the game, playing solo and wanting to flit between planets like a fairweather helldiver, but I've always enjoyed being in charge of the content and challenge and I'm intrinsically motivated to improve at games more than I am motivated to follow metaprogression, so I guess I just wish the game fit my rhythm better, but hey. It is what it is. I wanna go back to Heeth, drat it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

causticBeet posted:

I appreciate the limitation. I think it helps keep what in reality is a pretty limited set of biomes and environments feeling fresh. If you freely could play any biome at any time people would just hit equilibrium on whatever the least offensive combo of terrain weather and negative effect is and you would end up losing out on variety in the long haul. Being stuck playing on some shithole fire tornado planet or whatever for a few sessions adds contrast when you move on to the next type and get some new scenery.

I agree with the idea that the orders should encourage people to try things outside their comfort zone and I'm not arguing to be able to make progress just by spamming missions on easy planets. I know it's a bit tired to keep comparing this game to Deep Rock, but there you'll be funneled through various biomes and mission types on each assignment (and can interrupt them at any time to do a random modifier mission somewhere else if you want). The longest single run you will end up doing in a given biome are on Deep Dives which are 3 missions each and by the end of them you can feel kind of done with that environment.

I see what you mean that having to play Crimsica for several hours will make Hellmire seem fresh, but I'd argue another way to keep things feeling fresh is to change often (and for them to add more biomes, which I'm sure they intend to do).

So yeah, I agree it wouldn't be ideal if people were always picking one easy location, but I think diversity could be encouraged with a more rapid rotation or if campaign sets planet hopped. The worst instance of the current system for me was when the only 'valid' planet to fight bots on was Draupnir, for what felt like more than a week. I grew to hate that place and all biomes that resemble it in a way I wouldn't have if the game had taken me on a whistle stop tour instead. It's just a personal preference thing, and arguably a me problem for having too much time to play.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 27, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I only recently started using the scorcher but I think it's my new favourite, it's fantastic for bots as it has a higher ROF than the slugger so you can quickly deal with groups of smaller enemies while also dealing with scout striders in 2 hits from pretty much any angle. It's pretty decent against bugs as well too, I haven't had many instances of splash damage and it's pretty good for just indiscriminately blapping at groups of hiveguards and brood commanders. I suspect the reason it doesn't get talked about that much is the high medal cost to reach it. (edit: I haven't had ammo problems with it).

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

atelier morgan posted:

the ballistics are accurate enough in general i think it's intentional that the sniper rifle with no armorer or gunsmith or expert of any kind on the ship to zero or maintain it is off just enough to be a huge pain if you're trying to be very precise with it

you have to pay for the upgrade to 'technicians can use superglue on loose parts' after all; calipers are right out

There's no way the sniper rifle's sights being slightly, infuriatingly off is a deliberate diegetic choice by master game designers. The game is new and buggy and a lot of the ADS stuff is wonky, that's all. The game is immersive and they're committed to their schtick, sure, but let's not go crazy here.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

A lot of enemies could do with some better sound design as well, chargers can be like ninjas sometimes. The sound is great in some respects, the music, the weapons mostly sound good, but the enemies and environments are kinda lacking.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

make them randomly shriek or bellow like glyphids do

You've probably seen this, but they should hire this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gN_BXbQl9s

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Heavy Machinegun is the second support weapon after the AMR that has no shoulder-aim, it's also one of the ones with the most infuriatingly misaligned sights. Just testing it now but it seems like the bullets hit the centre of the scope circle but the red dot is high. Really hope they sort this poo poo out, because it kinda ruins the experience of both guns.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Quasar makes me feel kinda sad for the railgun. Infinite ammo EAT-like gun requiring no backpack slot, with a safe spool time, downs dropships, closes factories and bug holes, one-shots chargers and hulks. I wasn't one of the people who was super irate about the rail nerfs at the time but in light of the changes to heavy spawns on bugs and the efficacy of stuff like AMR and now Quasar it seems in retrospect like they overreacted to me. Maybe if they made it semi-auto, reduced the charge time, gave some more ammo or something it'd feel a bit better again.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

explosivo posted:

Friend of mine still brings the railgun along sometimes and honestly it's still really useful when charged in unsafe mode if you aim at the head of a Hulk. I think there's still a use for it it's just not the kind of thing that everybody in the group should be bringing anymore.

It's still usable, you can still two-shot charger legs, three-shot charger heads and down hulks and striders pretty well with it. It's just it's not doing bots better than the AMR while having less ammo and carrying more risk (requires almost the full 3 seconds of charge to hit those breakpoints), and it's not doing bugs as well as EATs / Quasar. It seems to be geared to be a medium-enemy killer more than a heavy killer but with the sheer volume of mid-sized enemies 20 ammo is kinda low.

Piell posted:

Railgun should be a primary

I seem to remember someone said it was in the first game, which would make sense.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

BadLlama posted:

Pretty sure the sights on these things are intentional, like there some loving big rear end real world inspiration for this gun, and the sight on that are off by several inches due to the mounting or something and so they are like yeah, do that.

Like anything with a sight and laser pointer don't go where the sight is either.

There's no way the misalignment is intentional, the game is new and well-documented as being buggy and janky. There would have had to be a meeting at Arrowhead where someone went 'hey, y'know, for truly immersive satire let's make the AMR sight consistently off by a millimetre' and then for everyone else in the room to go 'yeah that's a great idea, I'm sure our audience will love this and appreciate our commitment to realism/satire/pro level trolling.'

I have no idea why this idea is so prevalent.

And if the misalignment is intentional, which it isn't, it'd be loving stupid.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Game crashed on me three times during a match, but it was just metatextual commentary on the transitory nature of a satirical regime that claims to be permanent, lol these guys are geniuses.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Quasar is very strong for solo play. Something that doesn't often get talked about with EATs is how hard it can be to reach them under certain circumstances, and back-pedalling to your last safe EAT drop or throwing the beacon ahead of you as you fall back can both cost you time and be threatened by patrols or POI spawns. Quasar means you always have a long range heavy solution on hand, with stowed reloading, you can concentrate on clearing immediate threats with your primary. Stun grenades also make it very easy to use.

If you're able to hold ground with other players then I'd still take EATs probably, plus you get to use the EAT hellpod as a budget precision strike.

I again think the railgun has been demoted a little too hard, it takes 3x full 2.8s~ railgun charges to kill a charger head while the quasar will do it in one single spool while also closing spawners and killing objectives from any range. The rail is still better at killing medium enemies but then it's competing with the grenade launcher, MG and AMR (for bots) which will all do that better and more efficiently in most circumstances and have other utility besides. Rail either needs more ammo to make it spammable at mediums and/or a faster charge to let you hit armour pen threshold faster for a better ROF imo.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 29, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I mean, even doing that weapon swap thing that's still a ponderous and inefficient way to clear those enemies. It looks cool and, as always, if you enjoy it you should absolutely use it, but nothing in that clip or my own experiences with it would convince me it's a strong choice.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's a crutch and you don't need it.

I'm not sure you can simultaneously call the shield a crutch and ineffectual. It's either effective and people struggle without it, or a trap not a crutch. Pick one.

The shield is demonstrably very good, it has a ton of health, prevents flinches and slowdowns and allows for much more aggressive play if you want it. And sure, it can also cover some of your mistakes or rash decisions. If you personally feel like it's uncool to use it or that you'd rather have a spare slot for another orbital stratagem that's your prerogative and a valid opinion. There's pretty much no bot problem you can't solve safely and efficiently with a shield and an AMR. Given you're also often dealing with jammers, 2 negative modifiers potentially nerfing stratagems, air defences etc. it's a pretty obviously strong choice of kit for the task.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Gonna be honest I don’t get the “story” part of major orders or why it matters. I do them to win medals

There’s a larger narrative but gameplay wise I don’t really see any changes.

Although I might be a bit whatever about it because some of the last few planets have been really mid and overly foggy messes. I want something that’s a bit more unique.

I said earlier in the thread, but I currently don't like how restrictive it is in terms of where you can 'usefully' fight at a given time, and I don't trust that we have true agency because it seems like they're going to be engineering or fully godhanding their way through a series of narrative beats. The combination of these two things makes me kinda disinclined to go back and fight on Draupnir, a planet that bums me out and I already spent plenty of time on.

I can see it from their perspective as well, I think it's a cool and noble idea to try GMing a shared experience and do diegetic content drops and stuff but I think it comes at a cost. I'm struggling to give a gently caress and just kinda irritated at the narrow range of biomes available.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Maybe I'm just old but I feel like if Valve had made it so you could only play Death Toll after the community grinded No Mercy for a week that wouldn't have been well received. This is a disingenuous comparison, but still kinda reflects how I feel about it. I can see it might make it feel fresh for some people but I guess I am intrinsically motivated to play games that are fun simply because they're fun. Having to fill a bar to unlock the next sidearm or next level actually kinda detracts from the experience for me in this genre. I enjoy progression systems and level gating in linear RPGs, narrative games and strategic stuff like Civ or XCOM.

Anyway, nobody cares about my curmudgeonly poo poo I'm sure. Without any hint of sarcasm at all, I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying the format and I hope the game progresses towards a future where we both get more of what we want. I would be placated with a bit more choice.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I bring ultralight armour to every non-eradicate mission, either the set with extra grenades for bugs or the one that looks like a star wars scout trooper for bots. Both let you run real fast and far and have recoil reduction, even while standing, and the latter lets you shoot riskier scorcher shots and anecdotally reduces damage from stray rockets.

Democracy protects is a good effect, obviously, but I've never liked gambling even with good odds and it means you have to move at unacceptably slow speeds.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The fact that armour doesn't seem to offer any protection from headshots, and you have a pretty large head hitbox, means I am not really that jazzed about heavier sets. Having that chance to get clobbered anyway takes away the feeling of security or consistency I'd get from it, and I find running out of stamina to be generally the worst thing that can happen to you.

If I wanted more survivability I'd probably just take the light medic set and live forever hopped up on stims, sadly that set isn't ultralight so I rarely take it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Captainicus posted:

I would say the headshot weakness is a bit overstated

Just to clarify, I'm not saying heavier armour is always bad, just my personal preference is to lean towards consistency as far as my player character goes. If heavy armour or democracy protects isn't consistently saving me in situations where I'd have died in light I'm not interested, just in a stubborn, fundamental way. Ultralight will always let me run faster, longer and have +30% better weapon handling/+2 grenades etc. Even if I can see that over time heavier sets can provide tangible value, coinflips or dice rolls on the player end are a turnoff for me. If I want more protection I'll take the bubble shield because it performs consistently.

I probably sound like the most boring shithead in the world, but that's how I play games. I'm not criticising your armour choice at all though.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I'm not sure how true that is about the vitality booster, I watched a video a while back that showed it only affected limb health and was pretty convinced by their evidence. I can't find the video again now but I'm sceptical. I've not tested it myself though.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Mine is Elected Representative of Self-Determination, it barely fits on the hull which I find enjoyable.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

It's a counterintuitive but you wanna shoot at what looks like the most armored part of the head

EAT, Recoilless Rifle, and Quasar can all one shot Chargers this way

I might be alone in this but I found the devs' insistence that legging was not intended to be the best way to deal with chargers kind of weird, and the changes to deflection and head health a little disappointing.

Shooting the most armoured part of the living cow-catcher bug is definitely counterintuitive. Also there are a million games where you shoot stuff in the head to kill it, I enjoyed the extra steps. Dealing with chargers initially reminded me of that scene in Starship Troopers where Johnny Rico climbs up the big bug, shoots a hole in it and tosses a grenade in. That scene would've been a lot less cool if someone just shot it once in the face.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Sindai posted:

There are too many chargers for a multi-part minigame of killing them to be fun at high difficulties, especially since with hulks it's just a matter of one or two headshots.

Now if bile titans or tanks worked that way it would be neat.

There used to be too many chargers. IMO it's pretty reasonable now. I think they either needed to make them easier to kill or make fewer of them, not both. Chargers are a joke to me now, idk

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Turrets have a lot of potential, but the risk that something you haven't seen just KOs it instantly is ever-present and kind of puts me off using them.

Relatedly, I think the game needs a stratagem menu terrain overlay to show surfaces they won't stick to, because nothing is more infuriating than dropping your turret on an elevated position only to have it bounce off into the weeds. Same for planting hellbombs near the eyes of Sauron etc. I understand why they might want to prevent cheesing by camping with turrets in inaccessible locations but I really don't think it would be OP to be able to place them on most surfaces tbh, especially not when they're competing with the extraordinarily flexible value of eagles and stuff.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I dunno, the limited uses of the laser bothered me initially but once I understood what it's actually good for I can see why it's restricted.

I see a lot of people using it to kill heavy bugs and stuff, which is actually a total waste. It'll burn all its up-time to get through a bile titan or a couple of chargers which you could just use EATs or 500kg for. It truly shines for clearing whole armies of light to medium enemes and completing objectives single-handedly. One laser will complete the command bunker bot objective by itself, it'll also kill eyes of Sauron, mortars, airbases, basically any bot objective or base you can throw a laser at and then just walk away. If you had unlimited uses you'd never have to interact with a bot secondary objective again. It's like a 380 base-buster except it doesn't sometimes miss. It'll also wipe the landing pad clear for you to safely extract. It's an extremely strong stratagem and I think I'm glad it's balanced by uses not a ridiculously long cooldown.

The mechs on the other hand, yeah, I think limiting it to 2 uses + a 10 minute cooldown is kinda whatever, you'd hardly have time to get another useful deployment per mission anyway and the mechs are less useful than the laser because it's not fire-and-forget and more subject to random failure.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Notes are up:

# **🛠️ PATCH 01.000.200 ⚙️**
**🌎 Overview**
This update includes
* Balance changes to missions, stratagems, weapons, enemies and Helldivers.
* General fixes and stability improvements.

**📍 Gameplay**
Planetary Hazard additions
* Blizzards
* Sandstorms

**⚖️ Balancing**
**Missions**
* Retrieve Essential Personnel
🔹 Moved the enemy spawn points further away from the objective to give players a fairer chance of defending the location.
🔹 There are fewer civilians required to complete the mission on higher difficulties.
* Destroy Command Bunkers
🔹 Now has more objective locations, the mission was too easy before compared to other missions.
🔹 It can now appear in operations from difficulty 5.
* Halved the negative effect of operation modifiers that increase stratagem cooldowns or call in times.

**Primary, Secondary, & Support Weapons**
* Arc Thrower: fixed charging inconsistencies; it will now always take 1s to charge a shot.
* Arc Thrower: reduced distance from 50m to 35m.
* Arc Thrower: increased stagger force.
* Guard Dog: now restores full ammo from supply boxes.
* Anti-Materiel Rifle: damage increased by 30%.
* Breaker Incendiary: damage per bullet increased from 15 per bullet to 20 per bullet.
* Fire damage per tick increased by 50% (from all sources).
* Liberator Penetrator: now has a full auto mode.
* Dominator: increased damage from 200 to 300.
* Dominator: increased stagger.
* Diligence Counter Sniper: increased armor penetration from light to medium.
* Slugger: reduced stagger.
* Slugger: reduced damage from 280 to 250.
* Slugger: reduced demolition force.
* Slugger: fixed armor penetration tag in the menu.
* Slugger, Liberator Concussive, Senator: fixed incorrect armor penetration tags in the menu.
* Recoilless Rifle: increased the number of rockets you restore from supply boxes from 2 to 3.
* Spear: increased the number of missiles you restore from supply boxes from 1 to 2.
* Heavy Machine Gun: the highest fire rate mode reduced from 1200 rpm to a more moderate 950

**Stratagems**
* Patriot Exosuit: rockets will now penetrate armor only on direct hit.

**Enemies**
* Balancing adjustments have been made to
🔹 Chargers normal melee attack now does less damage against Exosuits.
🔹 Bile Spewer and Nursing Spewer do less damage with their puke.
🔹 The Bile Titan can no longer be stunned.
🔹 Shriekers no longer create bug breaches.
🔹 Shriekers hitting you while they are dead now does significantly less damage.

**Helldiver**
* Balancing adjustments have been made to
🔹 Heavy and medium armor protects better and you now take about 10% less damage than before while wearing heavy and about 5% less when wearing medium armor. Fortified commando and light armor is unchanged.
**🔧 Fixes**
* Fixed issue where save settings for PS5 would be reset when the game is rebooted, causing things such as loadout and hint settings to reset.
* Enemies now properly target Exosuits. Previously, many enemies effectively ignored Exosuits if a helldiver on foot was available for them to target.
* Fixed Exosuits being able to fire their weapons while opening the minimap.
* The Helldiver and the Exosuit both had a bug that made them sometimes take explosion damage multiple times making things like automaton rockets be too deadly, this is now fixed.
* Automaton enemy constellations that preferred to spawn more of certain Devastators types did not work and are now functioning as they should. This means that sometimes when playing against the Automatons you will face more Devastators instead of other enemy types.
* We have improved the system that prevents hellpod steering close to large or important objects.
🔹 We have solved issues where the effective area around objects was a lot larger than intended.
🔹 We have reduced the number of objects that prevent hellpod steering.
⚠️ Note: This system is intended to prevent softlocks where players can drop on important interaction points, or drop into unintended places. We will continue to monitor the state of the system after the update to see if additional tweaks are necessary.
* Fixed cases where the ground under some assets could be bombed causing them to float.
* Ballistic shield changes:
🔹 Collision mesh has been slightly increased in size for more forgiveness
🔹 Changed shield poses so that less of the helldiver is exposed
🔹 Addressed bug where parts of the helldiver would become vulnerable while using the shield in first person

**🧠 Known Issues**
These are issues that were either introduced by this patch and are being worked on, or are from a previous version and have not yet been fixed.

* Game might crash when picking up a snowball or throwing back a grenade
* Various issues involving friend invites and cross-play:
🔹 Cross-platform friend invites might not show up in the Friend Requests tab.
🔹 Players cannot unfriend other players befriended via friend code.
🔹 Players cannot unblock players that were not in their Friends list beforehand.
🔹 Players cannot befriend players with Steam names shorter than 3 characters.
* Explosive weapon stats include only direct hit damage but not explosive damage.
* Explosions do not break your limbs (except for when you fly into a rock).
* Planet liberation reaches 100% at the end of every Defend mission.
* Drowning in deep water with a Vitality Booster equipped puts Helldiver in a broken state.
* Stratagem beam might attach itself to an enemy but it will deploy to its original location.
* Some player customizations (like title or body type) may reset after restarting the game.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Hunter-killer gunships are in-game, just got attacked by a bunch. They spawn from secondary objective towers with a zone of effect like shriekers. You can kill them with a scorcher, I dunno whether you can do it with other small-arms. They light you up with an eye-of-sauron lamp, fire what looks like scout walker lasers and rocket barrages.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 2, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Ballbot5000 posted:

Hahahaha, in before the inevitable AMR nerf. Did not need it but I'll take it for as long as it's there.

Yeah this one was kinda a surprise. It's still 2 shots to a hulk eye, so I guess this just makes bodyshots a little more forgiving on medium enemies, and fewer shots to kill turrets etc.

I was never really into the slugger so I don't have much frame of reference to tell if the nerf was needed or not, but the dominator getting buffed is kinda cool. Given the dominator handles poorly and has the annoying smoke haze it's cool that they made it hit harder.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Diligence counter sniper is still a piece of poo poo and I still have no idea why you'd bring it over a dominator / slugger / scorcher

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Seems like the idea was to rebalance slugger and dominator against eachother. Dominator gets the stagger and punch the slugger used to have but it has comparatively poor handling so it can feel more like a support weapon to wield. I think that's OK, tbh, the heavier-feeling weapon hitting harder makes sense although I wouldn't take the slugger over the dominator now, I don't think. First impression is they hit the slugger a bit too hard, but it's still just a better version of the snipers. Scorcher remains my choice for bots overall I think. Being able to quickly clear crowds, shredder tanks and walkers is nice, and it's perfectly decent against mid-sized enemies.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Anyone else have an issue with thrown stratagems getting stuck on your head? It happens to me at least once a match and it's highly frustrating. Just had a perfectly stealthy approach to an eye of Sauron ruined because the hellbomb ball stuck to my cranium, killed me, then I chain-dropped solo into an alerted pack of hulks with no gear.

My best guess is it's something to do with animations during or shortly after the throw, maybe I'm throwing while moving too much? I've complained about it at length to my buds but a lot of people have never seen it happen.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

BF1 was the steampunk battlefield

are you using the personal shield gen? sometimes stratagems will get stuck on it and you have to drop it to not kill yourself

Ah that could be it, yeah. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Trip Hazard posted:

Chiming in about solo play to agree that it is not worth it. I had a hellish time completing a bug mission on medium where I was constantly swamped, constantly running out of stamina and getting knocked down. It doesn't help that I'm a fairly low level and don't have many stratagem options.

Solo play is a lot more manageable than it initially appears, but you need to build for it and generally you'll want light armour. Bots are easier to solo than bugs, imo. It takes time to learn what does and doesn't work and how enemies will or won't respond to what you're doing. Playing stealthy (or just hyper-mobile) and knowing which battles to pick is the main thing. Once you get in the rhythm of it it can be fine though, all the way up to Helldives. In a way solo is easier than random groups because there's less chaos and fewer 'fronts' to keep track of.