Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

JBP posted:

Can't wait to accidentally shoot my gamer buds in the back of the head and yell "you're blocking my shots" into the mic

I am very much looking forward to dropping supply pods on all my friends. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Played a couple missions at lunch, and it is indeed fun. I was getting some really bad framerates in certain areas that I think was due to the fog/dust rendering. Cranking the fog effects way down seemed to help.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ciaphas posted:

i assume "recoiless" is a severe misnomer

The "recoiless" part only applies to the person firing it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

GruntyThrst posted:

Keep an eye out for supercredit pickups because they may only go to the person who picks them up, unlike every other currency. Which really sucks if true.

Everyone in the game at the time gets super credits when collected.

Played for several hours with friends without any major issues. Avoiding matchmaking entirely might have made a difference. Hopefully they are quick to patch out the problems some are having. Game is a hell of a lot of fun when it works.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

My understanding is that eagles have x amount of call ins, once they're depleted you need to rearm to get more

Yep, you have X number of quick cooldown charges, and once they are depleted there's a longer rearm timer to replenish those initial X charges. Once you use a charge, my understanding is that Rearm stratagem pops in to let you prematurely kick off the rearm manually if you want.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

We had a particularly tense bug mission last night where we were getting overrun at the LZ right as the chopper was landing. The cannon on the Pelican killed two of us and then pinned our last surviving squad mate under the turret, so no one got out alive. Game is 10/10.

Amuys posted:

Huh, they have stuff like the bot's emplacement towers? Haven't seen it yet :stare:

Some of the bot bases have tank turret towers too. First time we ran in to one we had no idea what was killing us because it just blends in to the structure.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dang, its just CTD now after the patch, and it looks like Im not the only one

https://steamcommunity.com/app/553850/discussions/0/4206994473253859355/

Looks like they are rolling back the client side patch because of CTD and FPS issues. The reward stream fixes are still in place, so they were probably server side I guess.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Couple of things I've noticed I haven't seen posted yet. The Autocannon is amazing and never leaves my loadout, but the reload mechanic has some subtlety to it. It has a ten round capacity, but each mag you load into it only has five rounds. Loading it from empty you have to stop, slap in a mag, chamber a round, then load another mag, which takes forever. However, if you have five rounds or less in it, you can just kneel down and quickly slap 5 rounds in it at any time. Its always better to do this when you have a moment than ever let it get fully empty. Additionally, it won't let you load a partial mag.

The SAM sites in the Automaton missions will shoot down dropships. I have no idea how far out they cover or if they run out of ammo, but its another really cool bit of attention to detail.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ciaphas posted:

it's a shame that the frog has been boiled so hard that it's acceptable at all in a full-price game; but yeah at least it's not p2w garbage

i wonder if super earth is as much a capitalist hellhole as our decidedly-not-super-at-all earth

I'm not sure what you consider a full price game, but the base price is only $40 when a lot of AAA games are $70 these days. The game is also extremely generous in giving you Supercredits if you look for them.

Plus for the stuff in the premium Warbond you still have to play the game to get medals to unlock the items. Buying Supercredits is at most a mild shortcut.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

Doesn't hit hard enough to be worth the stratagem slot imho

I gave the HMG emplacement a shot too, and it doesn't feel like it does more damage than the starter LMG. Also the turning speed is just painful. You'd be better off with the chaingun turret or several other options that don't tie you down.

I'm not sure how the shared daily missions progression works. I ran a couple bot missions last night with people that already completed their strider kills, and it seemed like I wasn't getting shared progression anymore. Only got 8 towards the mission, and I'm pretty sure I personally shot more than 8. I suspect the shared progress is only shared if other people also have the mission active.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

GlyphGryph posted:

Wish someone had told me before I returned the game that the intro screen lies to you and the "mandatory" captcha I couldn't pass isn't actually mandatory and you can just skip it.

Debating whether or not to buy it again. because man does it look fun, but that whole experience left such a sour taste in my mouth, what sort of company tells you you need to pass 20 captchas to play a game (and then makes you take 40)?

Automaton detected!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is the Senator good?

Its alright? Probably depends on your use case. I unlocked it early because it looked like a Destiny 2 hand cannon, but I like the auto pistol much better as my panic gun. The ammo economy on the revolver seems better, but the smg pistol just spews out damage when you need something up close to die quickly. The revolver has much better range and packs a punch per shot.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Are Bile Spewers just not spawning for anyone else? I ran probably 20 different combinations of missions, difficulties, and planets through to at least one objective and not a single one spawned for me anywhere.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah, first mission we completed tonight: no rewards. Good thing its bonus 50% rewards weekend.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

quote:

Another Message from Arrowhead @everyone
Hello Divers!
Earlier tonight we had server related issues with a concurrent player spike. This lead to some mission payouts failing, some players being kicked to their ships, or being logged out.
Our team is working around the clock to solve these issues. While we've been able to mitigate some of the causes, we are still struggling to keep up with the scaling that is needed to accommodate all our Helldivers.

Therefore we've had to cap our concurrent players to around 450,000 to further improve server stability. We will continue to work with our partners to get the ceiling raised.
If you have progression related issues, please restart the game in order for things to sync back up. Thank you for your continued patience.

/Your dedicated team over at Arrowhead :arrowhead2:

Guess I will go do something else for a bit.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Coolness Averted posted:

The marksman rifle is semi auto and unlocks on page 2 iirc. It's a good workhorse AR that can take most stuff out with 2-3 body shots or 1-2 weakspot hits. If you combine it with a spray-and-pray secondary or a support good for hordes you've got a balanced kit. I was less impressed by the breaker than others in this thread.

I absolutely love the marksman rifle. Its so good at popping robit heads. The auto shotty is really good too, but I don't like giving up the range and precision of the rifle.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

megane posted:

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the gunplay is bland. There are, what, 10 primary guns in the game? Half of them are (weirdly subpar) variants of the others. And basically all of them are functionally interchangeable. Guess which gun I’m describing: spammable up close to deal with bugs in your face, pretty accurate at mid-range if you ADS, reloads quickly, useless against armor.

And then there’s the secondaries.

That’s not “lol game dead,” that’s asking the devs to put in some more interesting guns and/or change the existing ones to differentiate them more. The SMG should not be an assault rifle but better. The Breaker should not be an assault rifle but better.

e: and the Scythe should not be an assault rifle but worse

In general, you should be minimizing the amount of time you are shooting trash mobs with primaries. Also, there's nothing bland about the Autocannon or most of the support guns.

The gameplay is basically: work your way to an objective avoiding contact with patrols if at all possible, bomb the poo poo out the objective, complete it, and then move on to the next one. The game effectively punishes you for sitting still plinking at reinforcements. Just break contact and move on.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I don't think primaries are meant to be strong, and even calling them primaries feels like a misnomer. They are usually your third best option for killing stuff. Unless you are carrying around one of the rocket launchers, you might have your support gun in your hands more than half the time. Primaries are more like your basic attack/resource builder in other genres, and as you get better skills/gear most builds use them less and less.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They should have the AFK timer be a lengthy "surface to orbit defense countermeasure" Stratagem Popup on the bridge. If you don't do it, you get logged out. Other people on the same planet get to watch another Super Destroyer out there explode.

That's a pretty great idea. Have the ship go to red alert and you have to enter some long code like at the evac terminal to perform evasive maneuvers to avoid incoming fire. That might take more dev time than they can spare right now, but that would be an incredible way to implement an AFK timer in a way that stays in character.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Everyone has the right to be frustrated at the game today, but it worked perfectly on launch day. The reward stream service got bogged down over that first weekend, but they were able to scale that pretty quick. I don't recall any issues during the week last week until Friday when it reached critical mass.

I know nuance is non-existent on lesser forums, but to me there's a difference between giant studio AAAA title with massive game breaking client and server bugs and a small studio buckling under the weight of massive, unexpected popularity. I'm trying to be patient, and the only reason I'm annoyed is that this is the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time.

Also I named my ship the Queen of Equality to troll any Space Republicans I might encounter.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Crain posted:

As much as the current server limitations suck, it's actually kinda giving me some hope for the games industry going forward. This is third major release in recent memory that's come out of nowhere, from very small teams, directly targeting long time AAA genres, and eating their lunch.

Battlebit had similar server limitations and issues on launch, even getting to a point where the devs (literally 3 dudes, maybe 4) came out and said that they might go under before they actually got the massive paycheck from all the launch sales because trying to scale the servers was costing them so much so fast. Thankfully they figured it out. But that game was created explicitly to make a Battlefield game that fans actually wanted without all the poo poo that EA shoved into the game, and it worked so well.

Palworld didn't have any issues with capacity because it's mostly single player with online co-op that doesn't need fully online server hosting. But again, even as jank as it is, and how clearly it's a competent almost-an-asset-flip game, they made a loving open world Pokemon game that people actually wanted.

Now Helldivers 2 is showing AAA companies how to do a Live Service game correctly with solid gameplay, progression, and just everything. Small team of actually passionate artists making something that they really want to exist.

The server problems are an issue of success. If it weren't one of the best new games out right now we wouldn't be having these issues, because no one would be trying to play it. They'll solve the server issues eventually.

Lethal Company is another one that came out of nowhere and blew up for a bit. Just a one person shop too.

I didn't get to play it much, but it was 90% of my Youtube feed for a good month.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

veni veni veni posted:

The term AAA means basically nothing outside of vibes.

Pretty much. The game itself has as much or more polish as most "AAA" games, but 100 people is still a pretty small crew compared to the studios behind most big releases.

Baggot posted:

I get what you're saying, but let's not try to redefine what the devs themselves have labeled their own game as. They said it's AAA. It's AAA.

The AAA thing is pretty nebulous in general and in my mind is somewhat analogous to budget. Ubisoft idiocy aside, there's no upper limit to AAA. If we are going by what the devs said, their wildest projection was only about 150k concurrent players.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I mean, the game hasn't been out two weeks yet so maybe he could just rescind his notice and keep his day job.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'll wager this is behind some of the weapon balance problems.

Pretty sure this is referring to our own armor value not doing anything, making medium and heavy armor useless beyond the primary perks.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sat at the loading screen for almost an hour until I won the login lottery. Two friends were able to immediately join directly via Steam and we played a solid three hours with no issues. Never touched matchmaking, but overall the game seems pretty stable now once you get in and don't use quickplay.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The regular Eagle Airstrike and the Cluster Bomb rarely leave my loadout. Airstrike will clear a light bot outpost easily and can take care of a medium most of the time with good placement. Plus its far faster than orbital barrages, and you've got to keep moving on higher difficulties.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Hihohe posted:

Honestly they should have places on the map that prevent certain strategems from being used so that it encourages different loadouts

AA guns for eagles

This is already a thing on higher level bot missions and probably what CodfishCartographer is referring to. Much like the stalker nests, when these specialized bases pop up they become a priority. The mortar bases are pretty brutal when they spot you.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

The diligence is trash.

The railgun is still powerful when aiming in third-person. How many different ways do I have to stipulate that?

Diligence is great against most rank and file bots other than the chainsaw bastards, and those guys just get a railgun to the dick. Breaker is obviously better close in and against bugs in general, but the rifle is great at quickly popping all the foot soldiers that call in dropships.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm not a huge fan of the Breaker either, but I mostly just don't like that playstyle even though the game kinda demands it in some situations. Hoping to have the Slugger unlocked today to try it out.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DarkDobe posted:

Arc becomes wildly powerful if all 4 people are running it.
It takes about 12-16 shots to kill a charger, and with 4 people that takes about 2 seconds.

Do with this information what you will.

I'm all for playing around and not just using the meta, but all four players needing to use gun or strategem for it to be "strong" probably means its not very strong. Two railgun shots and an Uzi mag to the same leg will kill a charger pretty quick. We'll probably see a big balance patch once the servers aren't constantly melting down, because there are several guns and call downs that need some help.

Edit: \/\/\/ The autocannon is a great compliment to the railgun for sure. Its also great for popping Spore Mushrooms and illegal broadcast towers from a mile away.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 21, 2024

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DarkDobe posted:

I'm just offering it as a fun and different option.
The arc gun is weird and powerful up to a certain point and running a full crew of them is a unique experience - no other gun quite force multiplies itself with infinite ammo and decent AOE clear. By itself it fails vs hulks and chargers but with 3-4 of them it becomes hilariously efficient.

For sure. It does sound like a fun option, and not everyone wants to min/max speedrun through all the available content. One of my buddies joined a little late and is resource constrained on the common samples, so we'll probably try a lot of weird poo poo on lower difficulties to farm them.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

edit: /\/\/\ good to know!

thalweg posted:

how do you one shot a titan with RR? I've been hitting them in the face / glowy underbelly and they dont die in one hit

this game def needs loadout slots tho

I'm not sure anything will one shot a full health Bile Titan. Pretty sure even the Spear needs some more chip damage to finish it off.

And yeah, pre-saved loadout slots please. Requisition has a cap at 50k, so I'm just spending it on stuff I don't really use. That has the effect of cluttering up the loadout screen with a million nearly identical icons I have to sift through every time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

LuiCypher posted:

Alright, I do have a stratagem/weapon that sucks:

The ballistic shield.

At face value, it does what it says on the tin - you hold it and it reduces the damage you take from ranged fire (and maybe melee damage? I haven't tried it against bugs because it's better to just murder them en masse at range instead of letting them get close enough to hit you).

However - because it is a held object, the code for holding the shield is the same as the code for holding the SSSD or other objects - in other words, when you get physics'd/ragdolled, you will drop the shield.

Also because it is a held object, that means if you want to use a primary while holding it up you must take an SMG. No Breakers or Liberators for you, unless you want to be forced into using your pistol.

At first, it seems like a really great thing to take against the bots given the amount of firepower they put downrange. But it scales very poorly with ascending difficulty against the bots, because at higher difficulties, there are greater numbers of bots that shoot rockets. If you've ever had the pleasure of fighting bots with rockets, then you know that any rocket hit will ragdoll you - which on top of sending you flying, also forces you to drop the shield (if you have it in hand).

Finally.- it takes up a backpack slot. There are a lot of competitive options for backpack slot, including the alarmingly more effective shield generator (which doesn't take up any of your hands to use, is always on when it can be, and doesn't get dropped whenever you get sent flying).

That's a pretty safe thing to call garbage, imo.

Buddy was testing the shield out last night. He called in a supply drop or something, bounced the stratagem off a rock, and it ended up sticking to the shield on his back and almost killed him. Goddamn hilarious.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Did we not get a daily 15 medal mission today or is it hugged again?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Exodee posted:

You have to finish an operation, so for hard when looking at the globe it's all three missions within the yellow border.

... but you can also get lucky and quickmatch in another host's third mission. If you finish then you unlock the next difficulty even though you weren't involved in the preceeding two.

This, but there is a known issue still I think where people get stuck unlocking the next difficulty. There's a huge thread in the official Arrowhead Discord support channel with a bunch of people having the problem.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ninjewtsu posted:

i very much dislike that the cannon towers don't get taken out by stratagems unless those stratagems also happen to directly hit the weakpoint on it. you'd think 2 eagle airstrikes and an orbital precision strike would be enough to turn a concrete tower into rubble regardless of weakpoint but i guess not

Stuff that has some targeting AI like the Railcannon and Orbital Laser will hit them. Them being elevated high up on towers most likely puts them out of the explosion radius of almost everything that hits the ground nearby.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'd like to think a big reason why the defense order failed is that pretty much everyone made that same assumption at first. It could certainly have been worded more clearly.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think it failed because of how difficult the escort mission is. Escort quests/missions in games are bad all around imo.

Sure, they were tuned poorly and they probably played as two or three ticks higher on the difficulty scale than other missions even after multiple adjustments. Plus the rewards were useless for people like me that have already played the game way too much. I also just think there were probably lots of people that don't spend time during their day jobs reading about video games that played a couple of these overly hard missions and got no feedback anything happened, and then moved on to more fun and less broken stuff to do.

Arrowhead has been great with communication though, and I expect them to adjust and smooth out the global campaign stuff as things normalize a little. 100 hours in and the game has been a blast so far with lots of neat stuff on the horizon.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know, getting swarmed means you messed up and the real solution is to call an orbital on top of yourself, but I hope we get better melee options in the future, maybe a variant of the automaton energy blade?

The CEO mentioned they've had some internal discussions about adding melee weapons, so its a possibility. Its pretty hilarious to pistol whip bugs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

sushibandit posted:

Visible "weakspots" like charger abdomens should be actually-weak to everything instead of being a big fat phoney bullet trap of bullshit. Then they can give explosives innate armor destruction so they still have a niche and every metaslave doesn't feel the need to always railgun for optimal gameplay.

I think this stuff is only counterintuitive because games have trained us this just how things work. Arrowhead has tried to infuse some realism into how their systems work, like the whole partial mag reload thing.

In general (not any kind of expert here), if you shoot a soft target with a hardened armor piecing round, it will just go right through, make a relatively small hole, and often not cause life threatening damage unless it hits something vital. Hollow point (expanding) rounds and explosive munitions make bigger holes and do a lot more soft tissue damage on unarmored targets. Just think of it as explosive attribute guns do 10 times the bonus damage that regular armor piercing rounds do to squishy bits rather than the kinda confusing way they worded that initial statement.