Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Somehow it feels like the game is worse after multiple maintenances??? At least on PS5.

Can’t even connect anymore. Been a while since I’ve seen a game launch this rough.

I bought the game yesterday morning on PS5 and I haven't even gotten the game to launch to a menu even once. I'll try again tonight when I get off work in a bit.

I have literally never even seen the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

hey mom its 420 posted:

don't samples get shared by everyone in the squar?

If you get them out and extracted off the map yes. But every time someone holding a sample dies, you lose some.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

JBP posted:

The next hell popsicle is also entitled to use the computer to rebrand.

There is a finite number of names in combination. You are automatically assigned to a pre-existing ship with the name you picked.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

I'm sure most of you have seen, at least once in a while, hosed up bug model vertex glitches. ala this:

I have literally never seen that? And when I have in the past in other games it was my video card dying.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

sushibandit posted:

The main character is the ship.

You name the ship, not your (first) helldiver. Helldivers are nothing but meat drones the ship sends out to advance its mission of dispensing FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY. All of the upgrades you buy are for the ship or things the ship does. All the calldowns are either fired directly from the ship, or from the parasite craft hosted by the ship. All the warbond equipment you unlock is stored in the ship so it can be bolted onto freshly unthawed helldivers.

What I'm trying to say is that we need more customization options for the ship. Color channels, camo patterns, random trophies bolted onto the hull, counters for mission difficulty/count breakpoints, etc. Warframe this poo poo up to 11/10.

The catch is, it's not your ship either! There's a finite combination of ship names. You're probably not the one controlling it the whole time, that's the Democracy Officer. They just load all of your stuff into a ship with the name that you pick to not the other way around!

The Democracy Officer is really in charge, the fact that you think it's your ship is the illusion!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Dyz posted:

No its still your ship, the Democracy Officer can just take control whenever. Thats called Managed Individualism.

Its also why your clones have different voices!

The democracy officer has done an amazing job of convincing you of that! Continue believing, citizen!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really don't get why people would ever think there were clones in this game.

Probably because you can set it so that every time you respond you have an identical voice? That heavily implies clones are an option.

... That or an implant that just makes you perceive things that way...

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

slicing up eyeballs posted:

my experience with the tesla tower was that it was a revolutionary tool for dealing with bot hordes followed by the realization that it's a giant bug zapper for fellow helldivers, they can't stay away. I love throwing out lil comments even when nobody else is using voice chat - they can still hear me because people will react or use the in game chirp - and no matter how hard I telegraph the tesla tower and how to stay safe, it deploys and someone gets zapped lol

On a(n) (un)lucky chain it can kill someone a Looong way away from the tower.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

what the gently caress

It's how you overcharge the railgun. You have to set it from safe to unsafe on that menu

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

hey mom its 420 posted:

ah ok will try that. if I remember correctly holding down just gave me the radial menu where I had the option to drop the supply pack but I don't remember seeing the option to supply myself. i'll take another look

Quickly tap down on the D pad, don't hold down on the D pad.

Grimnarsson posted:

There is no team killing, there's just collateral damage!

There is no team killing or collateral damage, there is only Failure to Yield Right of Way to Democracy.

Democracy always has the right of way, citizen!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, just make the tail a fat loving weakpoint to anything and I'd be less irritated! If I dodge a charger and dump into that rear end with 900 rpm of HMG it should have an effect.

If you are shooting non explosive bullets into a jelly like part that does the splashy animation when you shoot it it does 10% of normal damage. Explosive ammo does full to those parts. Same with green tanker bugs and such.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Doing less damage than you would if you just shot a leg feels bad and weird.

Then shoot the leg, it's right there! Is there some reason you just really don't want to shoot the leg?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

You don't get medals that they got for missions they've already completed. But if the first mission gives 4, the second gives 6 and the third gives 8 and you join on mission 3, you get 8 from that mission.

That depends on difficulty, you get more medals for higher difficulty missions.

If you had been up in difficulty it would have been 5,7,9 and so on.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ive had my first deploy land straight in a hole and I never even got to get out.

CainFortea posted:

AC sentry absolutely can. It'll shred a charger.

Can confirm, they seem to absolutely hurt things my AC has issues with.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Because I was specifically referring to the context of "just shoot it twice in the leg then swap weapons" or "just shoot it in the weakpoint" both of which the autocannon does very well as well. The railgun is fine, but people acting like it's some kind of god gun that does these things in special ways nothing else does is insane.

Doesn't need a backpack, has 20 ammo.

What's comparable then? That backpack slot absolutely matters.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Nuebot posted:

At no point did I say the railgun was bad, just that in that specific example cited it wasn't actually any different than another gun and like three people jumped in to get mad over it.
the other weapons aren't bad, they're just not nearly as versatile as the rail gun is, making the rail gun more appealing. The real gun is equal to the other options and the vast majority of situations while at the same time not using a backpack. That's it, it's not magic.

Nuebot posted:

I'm on team nerf the rail gun now because lmao
Just boost, don't nerf. This isn't a competitive game. Make the others more useful in general instead of making one weapon worse. Making a weapon worse feels lovely. Making multiple weapons better feels great!

Carrots are better than sticks.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Rusty posted:

Yeah, exactly, it gets out of control so fast that it's impossible to ever recover.

I must be lucky, out of all my games so far the only times I have seen anything be unrecoverable it's been because a teammate (or 2 or 3) refuses to disengage and keeps shooting everything forever like some kind of demented last stand instead of hitting the bricks and breaking LOS and just getting on with life. This most often happens on bugs because someone keeps shooting patrols that are otherwise far enough away not to aggro.

In almost all cases you can just run from it. Come back after regrouping and breaking LOS.

It's like people don't get the idea that you get basically nothing from killing in this game. It's often profoundly counterproductive.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

After the last 2 days I'm really liking the lightning gun. It's unlimited ammo so you can basically run it like a primary. As long as you are conscious of your fields of fire it seems like it can do good work. Run it with the Rover and be an ammo free destroyer of yard trash. As long as a couple others bring any heavy armor it works great, and others basically always bring that. I run 110s and 500kg to help with the armor.

An advantage of the load out is that since you don't rely on your primary you can bring more ammo problematic primaries like a Slugger or Scorch without it being an issue.

Its fun!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I would pay good money for a sidearm single poo poo grenade launcher that can kill bug holes even if it only has like 4 ammo with a longer reload time each shot.

I have problems closing bug holes because I run out of explosives, and there are no primaries or sidearms that can do that!

Or let the scorcher close bug holes or something.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I used orbital airburst strike on a bot house and it killed everyone lmao 😂

Yesterday was not my day tbh lol

Could be worse. For the first time yesterday I primed a 500kg and was about to throw it when a stalker rag dolled me from behind making me drop it. On the landing pad during extraction.

Whoops.

I was actually yelling at my TV in horror.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

DkHelmet posted:

I'm loving baffled by how missions go sideways. Tonight I was playing with a buddy on 4, and in all three missions we hit a spot where it was patrol after patrol after patrol coming at us with no way to stop it. Ended up counting 5 chargers and a bile titan and their associated friends and family and just giving up after exhausting all of our strategems. Not dawdling or anything, not going out of our way to pick fights, but just on the way to the primary.

What the hell causes this in the game AI? I've been trying to figure it out and read online that it's not closing enough holes beforehand, closing too many, taking too long, moving too quickly, certain planets are just turbofucked, certain times of day are turbofucked, or it's just a RNG and you're turbofucked.

It's the one aspect of this game that really just makes it unfun as hell. It's impossible to handle or run away from.

Don't stay and fight it. At all. Just book it. Leave. Break LOS and run before they start getting a dozen breaches. Stop and regroup after. Staying and fighting is how it snowballs, even on starting drop.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

hot take but level 5 and 6 difficulty are the worst bc the game decides to punish you for not having more chargers / spitters or bile titans on the map by adding a bunch of stalkers and just swarms of those hunters who stun lock you.

Stalkers and the hunters that stun lock you eat a lot of poo poo to Arc Throwers. I can't overstate that if someone knows how to use it those things just die in waves. A whole patrol of them is dead in a single digit number of shots in as many seconds and them dodging side to side and jumping doesn't matter much because of the arc jumping.

I need to save some Arc Thrower footage against bugs.

At Suicide difficulty 7 there are still a pile of chargers but it seems the people are far better at sealing with them as no big deal.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Just bought the Scout Handshake, had never seen the emote before. Before the mission started I offered a handshake to the host on the way to the pods and immediately got kicked from the lobby, and I don't blame him. Never going to use it again!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Dante posted:

Again, using 2-3 shots from the recoilless against a single charger isn't a viable strategy

It's not a viable strategy, and you should stop doing it. No one should be doing it. A single EAT or RR shot straight to the chargers leg strips off the armor so it can be killed by less than a mag of primary weapons fire. Like a half a mag from the breaker yesterday but I'm not sure post patch because I've been at work.

If you see a teammate hit a leg with one you can primary that leg to death in seconds. It's very fast.

Edit: Last night pre patch I was in a level 7 or 8 game with all 4 pubbies between 25 and 40 and one player was running railgunning and shield. One was EAT and Rover, one Autocannon and Backpack and I ran Arc and Rover. It was no big deal. Because we stayed close or in pairs. We saved anti armor strategies for when we needed them. A Patrol of 4 chargers and a titan popped a couple seconds after. 2 orbital rail strikes and an orbital laser got tossed right away and 30 seconds or so later it's all dead.

People talking about balance seem to always phrase arguments as if it's them having to deal with 4 chargers. It's not. Or, if it is that person is loving up wholesale and needs to just hit the bricks and lose the enemies and not stay and fight them. If all 4 chargers are chasing a player then their teammates should be popping the chargers with strategies and AA weapons while the chargers are distracted. Even pairs of players working together are drastically more efficient that someone working alone in a lot of cases.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 6, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

thinking about it, what the game really needs is two emote buttons so I can get hugs AND salute the ICBM launch on the same mission

meanwhile my goal is to get a hug with the ICBM detonation in the background :3:

Absolutely this! 100%

Let us assign 2 to the comms wheel!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Forming natural duos is fun and fulfilling. Solo im not a big fan of

Can confirm duos work really well. I just pick someone with a complimentary loadout to myself and stick with them. At 7 at least it works really well if everyone has a fraction of a brain.

I usually lean anti trash so stick by someone with a pile of anti armor. I take at least one AA strategem to help, usually orbital rail gun lately. eagle airstrike is usually the 4th.

I also usually run rover. The kills are nice, the real benefit is it is excellent at letting me know something is sneaking up outside of my LOS. It lets me avoid so many problems

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Worf posted:

does the HP of mob change with difficulty level or just the frequency of the bigger ones/overall quantity

Doesn't seem to. It only seems to affect composition and somewhat volume of enemies. That's anecdotal though.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i would just like the "kill everything in sight" and "never stop running" strategies to both be viable

This game is an outlier in my opinion in that killing things doesn't gain you anything at all and sometimes can be a detriment. There's no exp for kills, enemies don't drop ammo or credits or anything useful. Enemies are the obstacles you need to deal with, not the goal, with the exception of certain specific objectives.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

how valuable are the unlocks gated behind super rares? i'm reasonably certain that that difficulty level is unachievable for me (assuming I wanted to play into the stealth meta, which i don't anyway :v:)

Going from 2 airstrikes and 1 500kg on 20 second refreshes with a 2:30 eagle rearm timer when it's all used to 3 airstrikes and 2 500kg on a 10 second timer with a 2:00 eagle rearm timer is a substantial improvement.

Same with the ability to steer the pod probably more than twice as much when you are dropping to reinforce makes it a good deal easier to land that pod on the enemies of democracy.

They can make a real difference.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long time out :(

Counterpoint is they aren't as necessary on the earlier difficulty levels so it balances out.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can’t kill chargers reliably? Not to worry , just duck dodge dip and dive. Stay close to that level 40+ guy on your team with a railgun, and clear the trash so he can bag that buck for you.
This!

It cannot be overstated how useful it is to just pay attention and if you see a teammate holding an anti armor weapon and aiming at a charger just whip that primary out and as soon as the armor is off hose down the exposed leg. The charger will drop really, really fast.

Keeping trash off of someone so they can bring out that heavy with less distraction is a really valuable thing to do.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Reddit's making GBS threads its pants though

The reaction to this on Reddit are blowing me away, it's like an apocalypse.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I think some of the salt is coming from The Rambos.

You can't throw on the Meta Trailblazer armor, a shield pack and then and sprint at maximum speed through an egg hatchery tanking 50 bug slaps with the occasional stim. Those people are getting folded like a pair of pants now and have to at least pay attention to what they are doing.

I believe it's this. Without fail so far every complaint I have seen is all "When I get attacked by 4 chargers" and never, ever mention their teammates and their strategems at all. Like they expect that every single thing that encounter need to be handled alone without teammates and with their primary and maybe sometimes their call in weapon only. I find it bizarre.
There's also been a really large number of people thinking demanding that charger legs be reduced to be destroyed by medium armor penetration, which I feel would completely defeat the point of the charger even existing.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

My experience is 100% with matchmaking groups so yeah I can't speak for how a consistent teammate's loadouts affects your loadouts. But in the vacuum of matchmaking level 8-9 bug matches the artillery bugs are the ones I see causing the most deaths. Bile titans always get blown up with orbitals right away, and chargers are literally like 3 grenades to the rear end to kill, which takes less time to fire than it does to charge up a single railgun shot.

In the rando group I mentioned upthread that's why one of the players was using the AC. He just deleted those big green whenever they appeared even at range. Missing those made everything else much lower pressure without the artillery coming in. That and charger asses. The AC is a solid swiss army knife as long as someone has harder Anti Armor like an EAT or railgun to make up the difference on a charger leg and such. Grenade launcher is great in that job as well.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I never used the railgun but chargers are legitimately unfun to fight IMO and even on a team on a team-based game it feels bad when you run into something you don't have a reasonable answer for and now the game is just unfun until you slog through dealing with the unfun thing.

What level are you? Even at low levels an EAT makes them very simple if you just blow the armor off a leg then shoot that leg with anything. The RR can do it the same way as well. The AC to the butt takes 4 or so direct shots and grenades are about 4 or 5.

EDIT: Don't shoot a charger in the face with anything.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

One thing I will say is that the game is crashy as hell tonight on PS5. Ive just crashed out of 3 games in 15-20 minutes each.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I have a video uploading of a 7 Suicide difficulty run I did with 4 pubbies. It's not cherry picked, it's the only run I've done tonight that I didn't crash on. Unfortunately the PS5 only records the last 30 minutes so It's missing the first 5 minutes of the drop which was admittedly a complete poo poo show and cost us 3 reinforcements before the video starts. The host dropped us straight into an occupied settlement so we had to kill a pile of bugs with only our default weapons. before we could even call anything in.

There were no real comms except a couple times I said something into the controller mic. All in all it was pretty typical for a level 7 IMHO. It's a decent example of ARC game play.

The group was not remotely meta, which caused us no real problems. The players ran:
Me: Orbital Railgun / Eagle Airstrike / ARC / Rover
2: Orbital Railgun / Eagle Airstrike / Shield Pack / Grenade Launcher
3: Orbital Railgun / Orbital Airburst / Rover / Laser Cannon
4: Eagle Airstrike / Eagle Cluster Bomb / Shield Pack / Laser Cannon

I was running the Liberator Penetrator primary (For no reason, I had never tried it) with the Redeemer and default grenades. Light armor with Fortified for 30% less recoil and 50% explosive resistance.

You see a couple minutes we organically split into two pairs and just supported each other for the most part. Also I totally got totally confused while carrying the SSD like an idiot and we all had moments of jackassery.

When it finishes uploading and processing it should be below. May take a couple hours. My upload sucks on COX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGwF96HS_E

Post Mission screen, since the video cuts off before then:

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

After thinking about it I think the best way to make heavy armor work would be to make it a max stamina or stamina recharge penalty rather than a speed penalty. Being unable to move faster than enemies or most attacks is too severe, you need that burst of speed.

Honestly I have no idea how to make heavy armor work. Stamina penalties and move speed are both kind of a death sentence against bugs. No joke.

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a primary or a secondary that has armor pen that is decent? I'm thinking specifically about those brown armor plated shield bugs that square up on you.

Not early in the tree unfortunately. The Slugger is solid and so is the Scorcher, but the Scorcher is at the very end of the tree, plus it can kill you from blast radius up close and has low ammo issues.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 7, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I dunno, does it? Can it handle those bugs head on?

If it absolutely has to be head on then it's the Slugger, and then against everything but the Charger and Titan.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, there's servers are kind of functional right now but still not working the way they want. We still don't have a real time updates on bullets and helldivers and all of that stuff reporting back either.

It's probably a good idea to think of everything as still in triage.

That said I am all the way on board for the Blitzer and Sickle. I also really want to know what the punisher plasma is, and can it close bug holes?

I hope the current warbond is indicative of future ones, in that it costs 1000 but you get back 300 inside the warbond itself

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The strength booster apparently does this

It does I believe and people all bringing useful boosts really helps. A game with full ammo, strength, stamina and health is great!

I also don't know why level 10+ people don't bring a boost half the time. Come on people! Even the first boost you can buy is super useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've been trying the autocannon turret for some anti-armor duties and throwing it far from the fighting on some elevated terrain but it seems to just get aggro'd by some little grunts and destroyed real fast, or a bile titan walks up and vomits on it.

For the purpose of killing big things the rocket turret actually prioritizes large targets first. That makes it a bit more useful.

For machine gun and Gatling turrets throwing it up a hill a ways away works great because they can defend themselves. For the rocket and AC turrets I want to be up the hill next to it so I can defend it while it works and my teammates keep the mob occupied.

Unless you are throwing it as a distraction so you can hoof it, they work great for that.

Insert name here posted:

Pretty sure I have some footage somewhere of an autocannon sentry turning 90 degrees away from a titan to kill a scavenger next to me, ragdolling me in front of said titan and getting me killed (the titan killed the sentry right after)
FYI AC turrets don't claim to prioritize armored targets, and they don't do that reliably at all. Rocket turrets do.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 7, 2024